Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
JimD

Default Towboat.us / Seatow coverage question

Does anyone know if these services will respond off of the big lake? If you were to break down on Newfound Lake or Wicwas etc. would they help you and if so has anyone had an experience like that?
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Joe Kerr

Default No response yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Does anyone know if these services will respond off of the big lake? If you were to break down on Newfound Lake or Wicwas etc. would they help you and if so has anyone had an experience like that?
No one seems to know. They both have toll free phone numbers. Why not call them and let us know what they say.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default website link

here is a website link to the folks who do towboatus.

http://www.nhmobilemarine.com/
Old 05-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Mr. Moyer

Default Seatow is Great

I can't speak to towboat.us, but I have Seatow and it has been the best investment I could have ever made. For less then $150, they will tow me or service my boat (battery charge etc)anywhere on Winnie, in any weather or time of day. When they do come out they are polite and very well informed. I have a place on an island (Rattlesnake) and I used to hold my breath that the boat would start and that I wouldn't be stranded.
No longer. I know that the company has sites all over the US and Carribean, and if you are part of the Platinum Club, (about $15 more a year) which I am not, since I only boat on Winnie, you are privledge to the services anywhere they have an office.
This is a service I would recommend everyone get just for the peace of mind. Also, in case of a major castastophy, such as a boat sinking etc, you will save a fortune.
To get back to the original thread, I'm not sure if they have an "office" on either of the forementioned lakes, but if they do, it's most likely worth upgrading the service to platinum. But call them anyway, they would happily answer any questions...their number is 603-279-2203 tell them Russ Moyer, a happy customer sent you.
Mr. Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
JimD

Thank you for the replies. I called NH Mobile Marine Services and learned that they have one boat on Winni, one on Squam and another on a trailer for other water bodies. I also have a friend who has had good experiences with towboatus in Mass. where I live. The gentleman at NH Mobile Marine also told me that towboatus now offers a "freshwater only" option.

Their unlimited towing on freshwater anywhere is the US was only $34 with a $19 membership fee. I added the trailer towing service for $10 for a $63 total. I also learned that I could add my wife without additional cost.

Hopefully we will never need the service, but if we do I'll post how it works out on here.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
Weekend Pundit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Hopefully we will never need the service, but if we do I'll post how it works out on here.
I can speak from personal experience that TowBoatUS has great service.

A couple of summers ago my son, a good friend of ours, and I had headed out from Smith Cove to give my son a lesson in piloting our boat. We had spent about an hour out between Dockham Shore and Governor's Island when his lesson ended. We came off plane, swapped positions at the helm, and then I proceeded to advance the throttle...and went nowhere fast. The engine revs went up but the boat didn't move. I shut down the engine, raised the stern drive, peeked over the transom and found we'd lost our screw.

We dropped anchor, picked up the marine VHF handheld, and called TowBoatUS on channel 16. They answered quickly, I explained our predicament and our need for a tow, gave them our exact position, and they were on their way.

About 20 minutes later the familiar red boat appeared, crossing under the Governor's Island bridge, and made bee line to our boat. A few minutes later we were under way. It took about another 15 minutes to get back to Smith Cove and the tow captain got us back to our slip at Fay's with little trouble. A few minutes dealing with the paperwork, and we were done.

That would have easily been a $350 tow. But with the Boat Us membership it cost us nothing. Our membership fee more than paid for itself with that one tow.

It's definitely worth it!
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Dave M

Default SeaTow - better deal?

I'm also interested in purchasing some towing service in case of emergency. I pulled this from a Q&A on BoatUS. In reading SeaTow info it seems SeaTow is a better deal. It may be more in cost but it covers everything including your home dock. One cost covers everything. Seems BoatUS will only cover50%. Depending on where your nearest repair center is, it can cost some bucks. Who determines what the price will be, may be some haggling.
Am I reading this right.

Also you get a 15% discount on cost at SeaTow if you belong to AAA.

Q: If I'm broken down at my dock, does my BoatUS Towing Service still work for me?

The Towing Service is for tows due to breakdowns at sea or at a restricted use dock. In addition, if your boat will not start while you are at your home dock, rental dock, or a non-restricted use slip, partial coverage may be available to you. By setting up the tow through normal channels, calling our dispatch center or contacting a TowBoatUS company directly, BoatUS will provide 50% of the towing charge incurred to the closest repair facility, up to your current towing service level. Of course, pre-existing conditions are not provided for at all.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 AM   #8
JimD

Default Seatow vs towboatus at your home dock

I think that is correct that seatow would be better in that case. I believe I read a previous thread on this forum where that was discussed. I don't have a "home dock" but if I did that would be a big factor.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Chris Craft

When I needed them I could see the boat but they could not be reached!!! I was quite upset about that. HOWEVER, because I did have the tow boat service the coasties were more then happy to tow me in. They typically will not tow you in unless you are in danger. They basically told me that since I had tried to be responsible and do the "right" thing they took care of me. Then they went over and talked to the tow boat guy. I always wondered what they said to him
Chris Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #10
KnotKnormal

Default SeaTow v. TowBoatUS

I had TowBoatUS up and until last year. I needed the service for the first time--we got a tow rope caught up in the prop and needed to be towed in. I called TowBoatUS, gave them my membership number and they said they were busy dealing with someone else and told me to call SeaTow and submit the receipt for reimbursement.

I couldn't argue.....I'm sure the emergency they were dealing with was more lifethreatening than my family drifting away in the Broads. And on a Saturday, the fact that TowBoatUS only has one boat on the lake was a little disheartening.

I'm sure you know what happened next....

We got towed into the dock by SeaTow, paid our $200+ bill, submitted the receipt to TowBoatUS, and never received reimbursement. We were told by TowBoatUS that we needed to be in a life-or-death situation to be eligible for reimbursement. They didn't care if I was instructed by the local TowBoatUS skipper and even transferred by the skipper to SeaTow, it had to be a lifethreatening emergency.

Needless to say, I've signed up with SeaTow this year. They have 3 boats on Winnipesaukee on the weekends. I'd suggest to everyone else to give Capt. Dan Perron a call at 603-393-5874 a call and sign up.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #11
RamJet

Default BoatUS vs. Seatow on Lake Winni

It’s time for me to renew my US Boat membership. Are there advantages to either one of them? I’ve never needed a tow, but wonder if Seatow is better. I see the bright yellow Seatow boat as I go there the Weirs Channel.

BoatUS is $19 a year on the web and Seatow looks like it’s around $100 with a AAA discount.

What am I missing?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Orion

Default freshwater option

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamJet View Post
BoatUS is $19 a year on the web and Seatow looks like it’s around $100 with a AAA discount.

What am I missing?
See post #5 in this thread
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Insurance

I have towing on my Progressive boat insurance- has anyone used this?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
AC2717

Default I Have

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I have towing on my Progressive boat insurance- has anyone used this?
Used my Travelers Policy which will reimburse me for up to $375 of towing. Used is last July.
I called SeaTow, they came to my dock, tied up, pulled me to the Marina, Paid with a credit card, sent in the receipt to Traveler's they sent me a check right back, took less than a week to get it back. It was a $150 tow. No deductible either, I have often thought of getting SeaTow because they were awesome and heard good things about them, and now that they have a boat docked in the Channel, they are in the best locations to get into Paugus Bay while on the meter and not eat up all the time, but then again, I worked it out, no Tow would be more than $375 unless I were at the absolute furtherst point of the lake and even then The woudl still pay up to $375 for me so the rest would be on me, and as long as you can pay they will come, I just have their numbers plugged into my phone, and also on yoru insurance policy it does not matter who is driving or using the boat

One thing I am considering is all the other features that SeaTow gives that the insurance would not cover like the gas fill, or jumps, things like that
Old 03-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
Webbsatwinni

Does SeaTow respond to it's subscription customers first before assisting those that they are not contracted to support? That could be a big difference in convenience and time with a panicked family on board over submitting through insurance.

We have always planned to use the insurance route, but this has been in the back of my mind.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #16
jrc

Webb, if you are worried about the tow companies focusing on the members first, consider joining Boat US for the minimum amount. It's dirt cheap for their basic coverage, plus you get a magazine, discounts at West Marine and fund their fight to protect boating.

For $19 a year you get $50 of towing, which will not be enough. But it does give you a 24/7 number to call or radio. You can submit the difference to insurance. Just make sure you carry a credit card to cover the difference. For $34 you get unlimited freshwater towing.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote