Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,683
Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 1,512 Times in 908 Posts
Default Lee Wah Chen: Moultonborough Chinese Food

It's been four years since the last thread on this place, so here goes:

Bob House, Canoe, Camp, etc. all were booked, so we grabbed takeout tonight after a chilly, overcast Memorial Weekend Saturday, and they hit it out of the park.

Pupu platter for two (hold the raccoons, add extra fingers), sesame chicken, house fried rice = $52.xx and it was awesome. Really hit the spot.

They're not doing dine-in yet, but if anyone's in the area looking for Chinese takeout, give 'em a go (especially if you've not been in a while, like us).

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-31-2021), bruinsfan (05-30-2021), FlyingScot (05-29-2021), Jdarby (05-30-2021), joey2665 (05-29-2021), loonguy (05-29-2021), Newbiesaukee (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
Jdarby
Senior Member
 
Jdarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Long Island
Posts: 147
Thanks: 126
Thanked 99 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It's been four years since the last thread on this place, so here goes:

Bob House, Canoe, Camp, etc. all were booked, so we grabbed takeout tonight after a chilly, overcast Memorial Weekend Saturday, and they hit it out of the park.

Pupu platter for two (hold the raccoons, add extra fingers), sesame chicken, house fried rice = $52.xx and it was awesome. Really hit the spot.

They're not doing dine-in yet, but if anyone's in the area looking for Chinese takeout, give 'em a go (especially if you've not been in a while, like us).

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


Yep! We’ve been ordering takeout from them consistently over the last year and haven’t been disappointed. Called in orders are usually ready in 10-15 minutes. On Friday it was a 60 minute wait but we’ll worth it.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (05-30-2021)
Old 05-30-2021, 11:23 AM   #3
bruinsfan
Senior Member
 
bruinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 136
Thanks: 85
Thanked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Always fresh and consistantly good.

Never have to worry if the food will taste different depending on the person cooking that day.

Plus, it's great that they're open year round for those of us that live here year round.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #4
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,683
Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 1,512 Times in 908 Posts
Default

Essential information: the pupu platter for one does NOT come with any fried shrimp action. You can imagine my disappointment upon opening my order at 9:15 PM last night, the last solo night of my week before my wife and kids join me.

It, with an order of house fried rice (hold the onions) was, again, AWESOME.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #5
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 1,119
Thanks: 51
Thanked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Default

So then, is Lee Wah Chen the "best" Chinese food available in the lakes region?
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2021, 06:05 AM   #6
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 441
Thanks: 5
Thanked 155 Times in 76 Posts
Default Lee Wah

Good God! Americanized Chinese food if there ever was. I'll take Lemon Grass 1000 times over. No debate.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:38 AM   #7
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,683
Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 1,512 Times in 908 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Good God! Americanized Chinese food if there ever was. I'll take Lemon Grass 1000 times over. No debate.
You misspelled "delicious."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Crusty (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #8
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,605
Thanks: 838
Thanked 693 Times in 421 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
You misspelled "delicious."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Ha! My tastebuds are with rsmlp, but my heart is with you. I love that you had to get your pupu platter in before your wife arrived. Don't worry--we won't tell!
FlyingScot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #9
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,683
Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 1,512 Times in 908 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Ha! My tastebuds are with rsmlp, but my heart is with you. I love that you had to get your pupu platter in before your wife arrived. Don't worry--we won't tell!
The only difference, really, is that we'd have to get raccoons to satiate the wife, which means fewer fingers. Sad face.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #10
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,277
Thanks: 823
Thanked 507 Times in 268 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Good God! Americanized Chinese food if there ever was. I'll take Lemon Grass 1000 times over. No debate.
We love Lemon Grass and Chef Ooh. But it was not authentic Thai, but “fusion” from its founding by Mike Love years ago. And Chef Ooh has markedly improved it.

As far as Lee Wah, it is totally decent, if Amercanized, Chinese food and the new owner is enthusiastic and has done wonders with the old Lee Wah.

And even if “Americanized,” Lee Wah Chen has an extensive menu and Chef says he will make what you want.

And if we’re being “picky” why compare Lemon Grass with Lee Wah? Not all Asian food is the same.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:07 PM   #11
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 24
Thanked 183 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Its funny i was finally going to go for the first time on a Monday night a few weeks back and it was closed as by the way everything else was also even both pizza places
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #12
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,683
Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 1,512 Times in 908 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Its funny i was finally going to go for the first time on a Monday night a few weeks back and it was closed as by the way everything else was also even both pizza places
There's nothing funny in being stranded! I had a meh experience at the Bob House Wednesday night and dearly hoped for a second chance Thursday, but I was too late coming back on the ski and they close at 9 like everything else...except Lee Wah Chen!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #13
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 441
Thanks: 5
Thanked 155 Times in 76 Posts
Default Lee Wah Vs Lemon Grass

"And if we’re being “picky” why compare Lemon Grass with Lee Wah? Not all Asian food is the same."

The obvious reason for the comparison is they are two Asian restaurants in the same town. I will admit that some of my older children (3 out of 5) like "fake China" and Lee Wah is one of their fave. A classic dish like General Tso's chicken I find just detestable and they love it. Not all taste buds are the same!
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:28 PM   #14
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,277
Thanks: 823
Thanked 507 Times in 268 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
"And if we’re being “picky” why compare Lemon Grass with Lee Wah? Not all Asian food is the same."

The obvious reason for the comparison is they are two Asian restaurants in the same town. I will admit that some of my older children (3 out of 5) like "fake China" and Lee Wah is one of their fave. A classic dish like General Tso's chicken I find just detestable and they love it. Not all taste buds are the same!
Since we’re not really discussing a serious topic:

My point was that there is no “obvious” reason to compare those two restaurants as Thai food (fusion or not) has very little in common with Chinese food ( Americanized or not). The ONLY similarity is Thailand and China are in Asia. The original review was for Lee Wah.

You brought up the comparison to Lemon Grass. This is not anymore logical than to comparing it to other nearby restaurants.

And for the record…General Tso’s Chicken was developed in Taiwan. Whether that makes it Chinese is politically arguable. I’ve never tasted it.

And Think, the original poster, pointed out he got to Lee Wah because a variety of nearby restaurants such as Canoe and the Bob House were booked. He didn’t mention Lemon Grass.

Regardless, enjoy your weekend.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:13 AM   #15
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 24
Thanked 183 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Thats funny gen tso chicken is what i had four years ago at lee wah and it was terrible. Dark meat and gristly . Thinking suggested i try again unfortunately it was closed. I don't think either PRC or Taiwan would not view the islanders as Chinese but would question what kind of government should run them
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:44 AM   #16
bruinsfan
Senior Member
 
bruinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 136
Thanks: 85
Thanked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Lee Wah Chen offers tasty and consistently good food in the Lakes Region.

If your vacationing up here and expect a Michelin stared chef to make your egg roll, you’re out of touch …… critiquing the authenticity of the “cuisine” isn’t fair and quite obnoxious.

The fact that we have a quality, year round Chinese restaurant is worth more than your pretentious pallet.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #17
watrskir
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 43
Thanks: 33
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan View Post
Lee Wah Chen offers tasty and consistently good food in the Lakes Region.

If your vacationing up here and expect a Michelin stared chef to make your egg roll, you’re out of touch …… critiquing the authenticity of the “cuisine” isn’t fair and quite obnoxious.

The fact that we have a quality, year round Chinese restaurant is worth more than your pretentious pallet.
I really like their food! Just wish I could substitute something for the egg roll on the dinner combinations. I hate eggrolls. On another note... I've almost duplicated the "Americanized" Steak Teriyaki on a stick.
watrskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:36 PM   #18
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,514
Thanked 940 Times in 590 Posts
Default

There aren't a lot of choices in the lakes region for good Chinese food so if you find one you like then stick with it.
I'm in Meredith and I will give Lee Wah Chen a try.
We usually go to Green Ginger since Phu Jee closed down but it's a hike!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:39 AM   #19
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,683
Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 1,512 Times in 908 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
There aren't a lot of choices in the lakes region for good Chinese food so if you find one you like then stick with it.
I'm in Meredith and I will give Lee Wah Chen a try.
We usually go to Green Ginger since Phu Jee closed down but it's a hike!
Too bad about Phu Jee—even though my one visit wasn't awesome, I was hoping they'd reopen.

Let us know what you think about Lee Wah if/when you get there—when we first went there some years ago, it wasn't very good, but these last couple years they've really done a great job.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #20
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,514
Thanked 940 Times in 590 Posts
Default

It's unfortunate that a lot of Chinese restaurants closed down during Covid due to the Asian hate cancel culture.
You would have thought that they were set up to do well when everyone was confined to their homes because they already did such a tremendous take out business.
Even back in Ma we lost a lot of Chinese restaurants due to all Asians being blamed for the virus.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #21
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,106
Thanks: 559
Thanked 849 Times in 326 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It's unfortunate that a lot of Chinese restaurants closed down during Covid due to the Asian hate cancel culture.
You would have thought that they were set up to do well when everyone was confined to their homes because they already did such a tremendous take out business.
Even back in Ma we lost a lot of Chinese restaurants due to all Asians being blamed for the virus.
What about all the non-Chinese restaurants that closed due to government mandates? A cursory look shows about 25% of restaurants in Massachusetts have closed permanently due to the mandates. These closures obviously have nothing to do with "Asian Hate Cancel Culture", so I think it's a real stretch to say that "Asian Hate" caused Chinese restaurants to go out of business. Just another false claim by the mainstream media.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:40 AM   #22
Jdarby
Senior Member
 
Jdarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Long Island
Posts: 147
Thanks: 126
Thanked 99 Times in 45 Posts
Default

We have lived in several states over the years wherein we didn’t have a solid Chinese takeout option. I’ve also done a lot of Chinese takeout during business travel. We are quite happy with having Lee Wah Chen as our closest Chinese restaurant! It’s top notch in the world of Chinese takeout and they get our business a 2-3 times a month!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jdarby For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-19-2021), GsChinadoll (07-26-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #23
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 3,272
Thanks: 1,514
Thanked 940 Times in 590 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
What about all the non-Chinese restaurants that closed due to government mandates? A cursory look shows about 25% of restaurants in Massachusetts have closed permanently due to the mandates. These closures obviously have nothing to do with "Asian Hate Cancel Culture", so I think it's a real stretch to say that "Asian Hate" caused Chinese restaurants to go out of business. Just another false claim by the mainstream media.
Most Chinese restaurants have a tremendous take out business. These restaurants were set up to do well in a take out atmosphere such as a pandemic.
Many other restaurants had to adapt to take out quickly to survive. Many couldn't or wouldn't adapt.
I will admit all restaurants took a big hit but to ignore existence of racism is just putting your head in the sand.
I'm done here, didn't mean to turn this into a political bash fest.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
JanN (07-20-2021), Newbiesaukee (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #24
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,683
Thanks: 1,086
Thanked 1,512 Times in 908 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Most Chinese restaurants have a tremendous take out business. These restaurants were set up to do well in a take out atmosphere such as a pandemic.
Many other restaurants had to adapt to take out quickly to survive. Many couldn't or wouldn't adapt.
I will admit all restaurants took a big hit but to ignore existence of racism is just putting your head in the sand.
I'm done here, didn't mean to turn this into a political bash fest.
Honestly, I'm glad you posted it—my first inclination was to think like Seaplane, with the addition of a comment on alcohol sales being a sizable portion of Chinese restaurants, but I remembered a fragment of a podcast I'd heard once and went to research, and you're right: there's a LOT of data showing that Asian tourism and restaurant businesses were hit doubly hard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.26544 seconds