Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
onceMeg

Default Remembering summer camps

I know there've been several threads about summer camps, and how they brought many of us, like me, to Winni. Now, Many years later, here at tax time, I find it's easy to put those memories to good use. I donate to my local Send a Kid to Camp organization. I notice some donations are made "in memory of" some individual. I made mine this year in memory of Camp Kehonka. I may do another in memory of Camp Treasure Island. Both very special places in my heart. Just wanted to pass this on, in case others have similar memories.
onceMeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onceMeg For This Useful Post:
Grant (03-31-2017), thinkxingu (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
Barney Bear

Default Camp Traditions

Both Camp Lawrence [boys] and Camp Nokomis [girls], located on Bear Island, each season enroll campers whose parents and grandparents attended in years past. 🛶 ⛵️
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Sandy Island fan

Default generations

And at Sandy Island Family Camp, the kids come with their parents, grandparents, even great grandparents! Generations making memories together!
Sandy Island fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Island fan For This Useful Post:
KPW (03-29-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceMeg View Post
I know there've been several threads about summer camps, and how they brought many of us, like me, to Winni. Now, Many years later, here at tax time, I find it's easy to put those memories to good use. I donate to my local Send a Kid to Camp organization. I notice some donations are made "in memory of" some individual. I made mine this year in memory of Camp Kehonka. I may do another in memory of Camp Treasure Island. Both very special places in my heart. Just wanted to pass this on, in case others have similar memories.
YMCA Camp Huckins has a scholarship fund that pays for girls who otherwise wouldn't have such a wonderful opportunity. It's one of the more generous camp scholarship programs in the region.

2015 Details:
  • Total of summer camp scholarship funds awarded: $68,653
  • Summer campers who received scholarship awards: 110
  • New Hampshire recipients: 56
  • States award recipients reside in: New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, California, Georgia

So...if you're so inclined...you can donate here.
onceMeg (03-31-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #5
Leoskeys

Default Sandy Island cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Island fan View Post
And at Sandy Island Family Camp, the kids come with their parents, grandparents, even great grandparents! Generations making memories together!
Im looking into Sandy Island family camp for a family reunion(6 families, 29 people). It looks fantastic, but when adding up the per person cost listed on the site, the totla bill came to $21,770! Seems like a lot?! I emailed them aksing if they have group discounts.

Any thouhts?
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
Im looking into Sandy Island family camp for a family reunion(6 families, 29 people). It looks fantastic, but when adding up the per person cost listed on the site, the totla bill came to $21,770! Seems like a lot?! I emailed them aksing if they have group discounts.

Any thouhts?
More information is needed.

What time of year?

How many days/nights?

What are they including for that price?

Are you counting on them for transportation to the island or will you bring your guests yourself?

If you are planning something during the summer would you consider having it at a different time like in September so it is not during the busy season?
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #7
Leoskeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
More information is needed.

What time of year?

How many days/nights?

What are they including for that price?

Are you counting on them for transportation to the island or will you bring your guests yourself?

If you are planning something during the summer would you consider having it at a different time like in September so it is not during the busy season?
The family camp is seven nights, in the summer, includes all food, activities, and transportaion.
We have to do it in the summer because of the kids being school age.

Ive found three options so far: Sandy, Camp Lawrence, and three mile island. Three mile doesnt allow young kids(under 5), so that removes 3mile.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Another option might be to check with some of the larger rental companies and see if they have three single families that are close to each other.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #9
jeffatsquam

Quote:

Any thouhts?
That works out to $ 107.25 per person, per night all included sounds like a bargain to me can't se were you could beat that at that time of year around here.

To spend a week in Florida my wife budgets $ 200.- per person per day
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
germangirlvt (04-09-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #10
NoBozo

Default I Remember Summer Camps

I went to summer camp in 1948 at "Pine Crest Dunes" on Long Island, NY". (It was for Seven weeks). Not on Winni. But I remember....NB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9F86cAoi3o
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #11
Leoskeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffatsquam View Post
That works out to $ 107.25 per person, per night all included sounds like a bargain to me can't se were you could beat that at that time of year around here.

To spend a week in Florida my wife budgets $ 200.- per person per day
You are correct on that per person average, but most will need airline tickets too, so for some young families with two-four kids, after airfare and eveyrthing it's $6000 for a week.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:30 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Camp Menotomy-Girl Scouts Eastern Massachusetts has a website, has no camper cabins, and you can rent a tent platform directly close to the Winnipesaukee water for a week......just bring your own tent or something.....don't know how it's done?

Says it is 95-acres, and the undeveloped waterfront is maybe 1/4-mile or something? Seems like it is very empty of any people? ....... young, old, or middle-aged? ..... there's nobody home most always? ..... but has become a home for the deer, bobcat, fox, turkey, and bear .... posted-no hunting, no trespassing!

Located across from the south end of Bear Island......mostly undeveloped.....with many, many trees.

Supposedly, (and this may be incorrect) it pays no property taxes, and is occupied through a 99-year lease for a dollar/year......upon said time it gets reviewed by a probate court......so the Girl Scouts cannot sell it off.....even if they wanted to, or something......such a mysterious legal history(?) ..... but it does have a wonderful looking, undeveloped, roadside quality what with all the undeveloped land, like the original forest land.....some type of catch-22 situation.....no people, no cabins, mostly the same old forest, level rocky land......just the woods and the wild animals .....and some tent platforms located right next to the water....but also in the woods, at the same time with a very long wooded waterfront?

Menotomy seems like a very strange situation; 95-acres of Lake Winnipesaukee waterfront land, with it held by the Girl Scouts through a 99-year lease....so it is basically unused, un-property taxed, and unable to be sold what with the lease.....or something like this .... and the local wildlife animals like the deer and the bear and the wild turkey have moved in ......... oh well?

So, make this summer your time to slow down and step into the past, by spending a week at Menotomy........ where time moves very slowly...... omg? ...... does the name 'Camp Menotomy' suggest to you that it could be monotony?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-02-2017 at 02:54 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Camp Menotomy

My sister went to Camp Menotomy for one season, then to Kehonk. That would have been around 1952. I recall dropping the hook and staying overnight in the cove at the south end of Menotomy, probably around 1967. We didn't see any camp activity at that time. My 2014 Duncan chart says "Camp Menotomy" and "No Hunting"on it. The Bizer chart says "No Rafting". Black Cove, not to be confused with Blackey Cove. Anyway, I'd guess they ceased operations in the early 60's. It seems like many private camps were run by folks dedicated to the youth camp experience and in the 70's, the next generation was more dedicated to the value of Lake Winnipesaukee shorefront and sold off. The "non-profits" have been able to sustain operations, YMCA, AMC, etc. Too bad some of the old camps weren't put into conservation trusts or some similar vehicle. On the other hand, places like Moultonborough now have a huge tax base that was not possible from tax exempt property.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #14
Sandy Island fan

Default Sandy Island

Quote:

Any thouhts?
I'm not optimistic that Sandy Island would be able to accommodate your group during the summer. Most of our campers have been coming for many years - som 40, 50 60 years! They typically register to come before they leave the previous summer holding their spot. We have a return rate in the 90% range, so not a lot of openings.

We do have some openings for new campers, especially at the start and end of the season and Labor Day weekend. But getting 29 people into one week would likely be challenging. I'm sorry to be the bearer of that news. As a 20 year volunteer/weekend staff, I love the place, and love to share the magic of the place with others. Not sure who you emailed, but I will pm you with a number, just in case there is something the registrar can do. You never know....

As for the rates, they do include everything - transport to and from, lodging, three meals (and our chef is amazing!), organized activities available from 7 am to 10 or 11 pm, lifeguarded waterfront as well as beach area, canoes, sailboats and kayaks to use, staffed activities for children 3 years and older for three hours each morning, tennis courts, softball field, basketball/volleyball, disc golf course, etc...etc...etc... The only thing you pay additional for is what you might spend in the store for snacks, tee shirts and the like, and any thing you do in the craft shop (tie dye is Huge!!) oh, and if you want a massage from a local massage therapist, that you pay for directly.

As was said, it's not unreasonable for all you get!
Sandy Island fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Island fan For This Useful Post:
steve c (04-03-2017)