Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-25-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
Sunbeam lodge

Unhappy Gas Fireplace problem

I have a vermont Castings wood stove with an 8 inch flue opening.(overall 10 inch metalbesto pipe). I want to convert to a gas fireplace but have no way of direct venting thru walls or ceilings. I can only use the pipe in place. I prefer to go to a direct vent system if possible but may have to consider a B vent sytem.
Gas stores say it cant be done. Any suggestions anybody?
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 08:51 AM   #2
DRH

Default Mr. Fireplace

Just a thought, but have you spoken to the people at Mr. Fireplace in Laconia? They are a Vermont Castings dealer, plus they sell and install all kinds of stoves and fireplaces. Might be worth a phone call. 603-528-FIRE or 1-888-814-3473. (I have no affiliation with them, other than having them clean my wood stove flue.)
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Cool direct vent -lp fireplace

The best direct vent is the shortest line to the exterior and a 3" diameter opening is what's usually needed for the double stainless steel exhaust-intake tube. How about cutting a 3" diameter opening out through the back of the existing brick chimney or a nearby wall to the outside. It needs to have a slight downward slope so the left over water in the burned propane will drip out the exhaust as well as the fumes. The exhaust pipe are somewhat movable usng extensions. It's best to depend on gravity and stay away from an electric fan driven exhaust of a horizontal concentric exhaust tube.

The Chimney Cricket in Thornton, NH is a one man business who has beeen doing this type quality work for a long time on expensive and not-so-expensive homes, all over. He is good!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 02:54 PM   #4
Sunbeam lodge

Unhappy

Thanks for the info. I will try the Chimney Cricket in Thornton.
The problem is that the oil burner and woodstove flues are in the area I want to put the gas firplace. They are in a boxed in area that is in a bedroom and that area has no access to an outside wall. I tried the woodstove companys but they say you cannot connect a direct vent gas stove to an existing wood stove flue. The flue is 8 inches wide.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote