Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Mat

Default Sandy Point Restaurant Closing?

I just heard this is Sandy Point restaurant last season. Figured if this is true I could confirmed it here?
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Jidge

Default Confirmed

My wife asked Jean directly and she confirmed it. She didn't give a reason. We and many of our friends are very sad. We always looked forward to going. It was the highlight of a lot of weekends. We'll have to find another favorite. There is no lack of great restaurants all around the lake.
(Maybe they are selling and the new owners will continue the tradition of great food and service......especially the prime rib...regular cut)
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Mat

Was there a week ago. The person serving us told me this. I asked if there was a new buyer and she said not that she knew of. Prime rib there is awesome! Also love the baked stuff lobster. We have enjoyed many evenings there also. I'm in Alton Bay so it is a nice short ride for us. Not many other restaurants in Alton Bay where we can get a dinner like at SP.
Looks like I'll be at the O steak and Seafood lots more now. That is my favorite in the Lakes Region. $$$ though.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidge View Post
My wife asked Jean directly and she confirmed it. She didn't give a reason. We and many of our friends are very sad. We always looked forward to going. It was the highlight of a lot of weekends. We'll have to find another favorite. There is no lack of great restaurants all around the lake.
(Maybe they are selling and the new owners will continue the tradition of great food and service......especially the prime rib...regular cut)

Maybe bob bahre will buy it he and his wife eat there all the time

Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

That's too bad. I wonder if they will sell it and it will remain open?

Bob Bahre is always at Garwoods when we go. Maybe that is the place he goes without his wife though, because I have never seen her there with him.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
old coot (06-01-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That's too bad. I wonder if they will sell it and it will remain open?

Bob Bahre is always at Garwoods when we go. Maybe that is the place he goes without his wife though, because I have never seen her there with him.
@ sandy point, my wife & I have sat In the next booth to bob Bahre and his wife and sometimes the son was with them on several occasions/

Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
birchhaven

Default resort?

Does that mean the sandy point resort is closing too? or is it totally separate?
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Sandy Point

It was decades since I visit Sandy Point. At that time the food was no better than going to Hart's. Maybe I will check it out before it closed.

There are many fine restuarants and stores closing. Economy and the unwillingness of banks to give out business loans are two major factors. I hope the next legislative body will help out businesses as well as the taxpayers. One cannot survive without the other.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
fodalo

Default Sandy Point closing

Sandy is not closing but those that run the Restaurant will be retireing after 30 plus years.
The Son is interviewing for replacements as he will continue to run the Rental property, great food, great people hate to see Jean leave but good for her they deserve it! Thanks Jean and Family!
fodalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
jrc

Look's like I'll have to go to the Christmas Island Steak house or Hart's turkey to get my fill of 70's decor.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default deja vue

50's at Hart's, 60's at Top of the Town and 70's at Christmas Island.
Pineedles (05-31-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
ghfromaltonbay

Default Sandy Pt. restaurant

The restaurant building is owned by the Ouellette family who also own the resort. The Damons have run the restaurant for many years and lease it from the Ouellettes who get a percentage of the profits. They are retiring after many years of running the establishment, and the Ouellettes are looking into getting a new group to continue the business. Whether the menu and hours will remain the same is up in the air right now according to the management. The resort itself is still up and running and will continue also.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 06-02-2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added phrase
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
Mirror Lake's BB (06-02-2012), Mr Cooke's Crew (06-19-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
no-engine

I know people from Gilford (the nearby Laconia area of Gilford), who will drive there for the take out of the lobster meal! Will be missed I'm sure.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
Rinkerguy

Smile

GHFROMALTONBAY is correct, Bob is looking for another group to continue the current relationship. The resort is also continuing to operate as it always has. Both are great family friendly places to eat and stay ... try them out and you'll be back just like we have.
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
Altonbayicefishingfool

Maybe someone new will take it over, have a better menu and you won't have to sell your extra kidney just to eat there... I see it as an overpriced tourist trap!
Altonbayicefishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altonbayicefishingfool For This Useful Post:
Heading4thelake (06-11-2012), Winnisquamguy (06-12-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
SigSauer

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altonbayicefishingfool View Post
Maybe someone new will take it over, have a better menu and you won't have to sell your extra kidney just to eat there... I see it as an overpriced tourist trap!
Please tell me where else in New Hampshire you can experience a "King Baked Stuffed" Lobster??? I think Sandy Point is a throwback to what restaurants use to be. It is sad to think someone would view this place as a tourist trap. With the volume of Lobster meat this place serves in a season, Saunders Bay is going to take a financial hit when this place changes hands. I think it is in the best of interest of the new owners to keep on the staff and not change a thing.
SigSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SigSauer For This Useful Post:
CGI3 (06-19-2012), RLW (06-18-2012), upthesaukee (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigSauer View Post
Please tell me where else in New Hampshire you can experience a "King Baked Stuffed" Lobster???
A short ride down Rt 106 you will find Makris Lobster and Steak House...Great food and the service is always top notch.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #18
Mr Cooke's Crew

Default SandyPoint Rest;

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
The restaurant building is owned by the Ouellette family who also own the resort. The Damons have run the restaurant for many years and lease it from the Ouellettes who get a percentage of the profits. They are retiring after many years of running the establishment, and the Ouellettes are looking into getting a new group to continue the business. Whether the menu and hours will remain the same is up in the air right now according to the management. The resort itself is still up and running and will continue also.
Best food on the Lake. I can remember Taking Wally Skiing, when he was just a cook. We had to let Wally go first so he could get back an cook breakfast with Brickie.Then we would have to bearfoot in rough water.LOL Going to miss him.
Mr Cooke's Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #19
ghfromaltonbay

Default 50 years is enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cooke's Crew View Post

Best food on the Lake. I can remember Taking Wally Skiing, when he was just a cook. We had to let Wally go first so he could get back an cook breakfast with Brickie.Then we would have to bearfoot in rough water.LOL Going to miss him.
Wally started working at the place before he was old enough to drive. This year marks his 50th year at Sandy Pt. restaurant. He deserves a well-earned retirement along with Jeanne! We've been there since 1959, so we have a lot of memories of the early years of the restaurant when Bric ran it and his dad Al ran the resort. Let's hope the next team to run the place does a good job with the seafood as well.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 06-20-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: grammar
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote