Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Fish & Game :(

My 16 year old daughter brought her boyfriend to visit with our family this weekend up at the lake. Her boyfriend is a really nice polite person and is graduating soon from high school. He received a scholorship to college to play lacrosse. My daughter was showing him things that she has loved doing here at the lake since she was a small child. One of the activities she likes to show her city friends is fishing. My daughter and her friend took the old paddle boat out and cleaned it all up, grabbed 2 life vests and ventured off very close by our home in a rocky area. The fishing rods they brought with them are those children type rods. One was actually a spiderman rod. Mike was pretty impressed when my daughter pulled out this really large small mouth bass. He could not believe it. My daughter asked if he wanted to try the Spiderman rod as it was lucky. Next thing you know they are approached by a Fish & Game person. They told the kids that they had filmed them fishing and asked it they had a license. Growing up fishing at the lake and being only 16 Leah has never thought about a license. The F&G person saw that they were kids, had a few laughts about the Superman rod, asked if they were hiding something in a rolled up shirt, treatened to give them a fine for having life vests that were not large enough and handed them a $93 ticket. Nice experience for a kid who never fished before. Welcome to New Hampshire. I thought a simple warning and a lecture would have been enough. $93 ticket for a unemployed student is a bit much. I would think F&G would concentrate their time on adults who are clearly aware of the law and clearly breaking the law. I know some will say this boy is a adult and should be responsible yada yada. A simple warning would have been the proper thing to do in this situation.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
eillac@dow

Smile :(

I agree. Two kids in a paddle boat with a Spiderman Rod!!! That I am sure put a damper on things.

I can agree that your daughter probably never even thought of a fishing license. She should have thought about the life jackets, but she didn't. Did she deserve the ticket. In my book....no way. Like you said, give them a lecture, tell them to go home and get the right size life jackets and then go on your way.

It's too bad things turned out that way for them, especially a first timer at the lake. Don't let it ruin the rest of what should be a wonderful weekend! Enjoy it!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
Old Hubbard Rd (06-04-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Sign of the times.

It's a well known and documented in the news that LEOs are required to 'ticket the hell out of us' for additional revenue. Since I read that, I have been minding my speeding, stopping at stop signs, etc. I'm not saying I have been disobedience, I'm just being aware of it more as to not make as many slip ups. To err is human. The law is divine.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Pay it in pennies. Go there and count them out on their desk. One penny....Two pennies....three pennies.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
hockeypuck

Where has common sense gone? I agree a warning should suffice.
This Saturday is fish for free day in NH.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hockeypuck For This Useful Post:
Old Hubbard Rd (06-04-2010), XCR-700 (05-30-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
RailroadJoe

Where were F&G when the Gilford plow people plowed all the snow in the handicap area right next to their station in Gilford and by the police sub station. I finally reported the lack of handicap spaces being lowed in and the NH Governor's Comitee Disabilty people informed them to clear it up. They did.
F&G personel have no one who understands what its klike to grow up in a land with very little restrictions on fishing. As an old timer they really disgust me. I would have told them to pack it in and head home.
Lets hope a state tropper catches them speeding on the way home and gives them a $150 ticket.
Just my rambling.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
XCR-700

Thumbs down

Hockeypuck hit the nail on the head, "where has common sense gone"

What a great way to ruin young peoples weekend.

So for the "law is the law" folks out there, is this what you mean?

I will say yet again, thiis is not the Winnipesaukee I grew up going to every summer,,,

I still very much enjoy Winnipesaukee, but stories like this sure put a damper on everyones experiences and memories.

I think it time to rethink the role of our police, marine patrol, fish and game, etc.

Protect and Serve before enforce and punish!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
aquadocton (05-30-2010), hockeypuck (05-31-2010), Old Hubbard Rd (06-04-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Loony Singer

Default nice but strict

Two summers back, my elder son (no kid, he was 29 at the time) was fishing from our dock, something he does maybe twice a year. Sure enough, a Fish and Game person came alongside. He was unfailingly polite, but the fine was issued anyway. That seems to be their norm...be nice about it, but hand the ticket out anyway. He did say that Fish and Game is not funded out of the state budget, but have to support their work through licenses and fines.

My son was pretty down about it, then decided that it wasn't so bad when you consider that it wasn't so bad if you amortize the $90 bucks over all of the years he's fished since he turned 16.

My 25 year old nephew just picked up a fine yesterday. His excuse was, "but we just live one cove over." That didn't cut it, either.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

In our neighborhood, we have a problem with F&G because they never seem to be available when you call them. My neighbors and I have called them several times over the years for help with injured animals. They have never once responded to our calls. They probably are too busy issuing tickets to really help when help is needed.

I think I may have posted this before but a deer was trapped in the ice and a guy came to my house and asked me to call F&G. I made several calls, one telling me to call the next and finally was told to tell the guy to shoot the deer. I went back out and relayed the message and the guy said no way was he shooting the deer, he would get in trouble. You know, I can't remember how it all ended (ashamed to say, but it was a long time ago) but F&G never came, I know that.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
aquadocton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
...They told the kids that they had filmed them fishing and asked it they had a license... and handed them a $93 ticket.
F&G filmed them? Thoroughly disgusting

On a related topic, the number of speed traps on I-93 this weekend have been the highest I have seen in years. They must need money too.
aquadocton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Hockeypuck hit the nail on the head, "where has common sense gone"

What a great way to ruin young peoples weekend.

So for the "law is the law" folks out there, is this what you mean?

I will say yet again, thiis is not the Winnipesaukee I grew up going to every summer,,,

I still very much enjoy Winnipesaukee, but stories like this sure put a damper on everyones experiences and memories.

I think it time to rethink the role of our police, marine patrol, fish and game, etc.

Protect and Serve before enforce and punish!
As one of the "Law is the Law" folks, I agree this is over the top. This is good kids/young adults having a wholesome, good time. They could be doing many more things much, much worse.

I believe a friendly warning would have been the most appropriate action from the F&G. That would have been educational, effective and harmless all at the same time.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #12
trfour

Default Out And About...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadocton View Post
F&G filmed them? Thoroughly disgusting

On a related topic, the number of speed traps on I-93 this weekend have been the highest I have seen in years. They must need money too.

We all feel the grabbing! NoOne is demographically immune these days! Just venture out onto you're local street or highway!
Gov'Mint, Wall Street, and the latest GP O'l...
I would suggest that we All get involved and start letting some of these folks know that, being put in a corner with a dunce cap in grade school is no longer acceptable for the gross ineptness of these! PLEASE, let us get it together!
We all need to monitor and express our views. Winnipesaukee.com has been at the very fourfront of this from it's inception! Credit our WebMaster and Winnipesaukee.com!

Love
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:39 AM   #13
TomC

Default landowner license exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony Singer View Post
Two summers back, my elder son (no kid, he was 29 at the time) was fishing from our dock, something he does maybe twice a year...
Has anyone ever tested this provision of the licensing laws?:

214:2 License Required; Exception. –
I. The provisions of RSA 214:1 shall not apply to resident land owners while upon their own land...

This reads to me that a landowner standing on the shore of their property (since the dock might not be considered the property owner's "land") does not need a license.

Not a lot of attention is called to this exception, for instance i could find no mention of it in the NH Fish & Game site and had to read the specific fishing related RSAs to find mention of it.

I am interested in hearing of any successful use of the "its my land and i don't need a license" exemption.

incidentally, i personally get licensed since i often fish from a boat

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../214/214-2.htm
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #14
Kamper

Next time you see injured or stranded wild-life call the Humane Society. They'll probably just call F&G too but since they have a PR machine I doubt they'll be ignored.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:51 AM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

That's a good idea, will they deal with wild animals? The incident I mentioned happened many years ago, before we even had an humane society in this neck of the woods!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #16
Skip

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
...Has anyone ever tested this provision of the licensing laws?:

214:2 License Required; Exception. –
I. The provisions of RSA 214:1 shall not apply to resident land owners while upon their own land...
Good point.

But while you may be standing on your own land lakeside, when you cast out into the water (Winnipesaukee) you are fishing in property owned by the State of New Hampshire. Therefore you need a license.

This limited exception is for resident landowners alone while fishing a waterbody that is entirely within the limits of that landowner's property line.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (06-01-2010), Jonas Pilot (05-31-2010), Pineedles (06-01-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #17
topwater

Tom, how long did it take you to try and beat the system. The kids broke the law! The kids got a ticket! Did it ruin their week-end, NO! It takes more then that to ruin a teenagers day! Mom and dad will pay the ticket, and the kids will diffently think about what they are doing in the future. Thats a cheap lesson in life, maybe mommy and daddy should have been thinking more about what their kids were doing instead of assuming that kids never break the law. The law is there for a reason, break it and pay the penalty.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to topwater For This Useful Post:
Fisherjeep (05-31-2010), Jonas Pilot (05-31-2010), Natt (06-03-2010), secondcurve (05-31-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #18
TomC

Default what are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
Tom, how long did it take you to try and beat the system. The kids broke the law! The kids got a ticket! Did it ruin their week-end, NO! It takes more then that to ruin a teenagers day! Mom and dad will pay the ticket, and the kids will diffently think about what they are doing in the future. Thats a cheap lesson in life, maybe mommy and daddy should have been thinking more about what their kids were doing instead of assuming that kids never break the law. The law is there for a reason, break it and pay the penalty.
did I say anything about breaking the law? i have a fishing license, so I am very confused about your message.

I asked if anyone ever tried using the landowner exception..

But if it made you feel better to get on your soapbox, i'm glad...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
topwater

Tom, how long did it take you to try and beat the system... Does not imply YOU broke the law, yes I did read you have a license, it was directed at the way of trying to get around the tickets of others who have broke the law. I hope this un-confused you.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #20
Jeanzb1

Default Very timely message!

I find this whole thread about F&G very interesting and very timely, as just this past week I had occasion to contact them about a dead bird floating next to our dock that had two bands on his leg. One would logically assume that if a bird had been banded that someone was tracking his whereabouts.
The woman who answered the phone for F&G was, first of all, rude and, secondly, unhelpful. She was able to offer no suggestions on who to call next or how to track him and from the tone of her voice I could tell she was annoyed that I even called over a dead bird! (She was probably sitting there playing solitaire on her computer!) The bottom line....I called the Audubon Society (very friendly and very helpful) who gave me a few other phone numbers to call. As it turned out, the bird was a homing pigeon who had been released 400 miles away just the day before and was on his way back home to Biddeford, Maine.
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #21
Grant

Yeah -- never really had a "quality" interaction with F&G, and most times I've had my license checked, they were simply floating down our shore, stopping everywhere where someone was fishing from a a dock. In fact, if I see them in the area, I will intentionally throw out a line just to make them stop again. Then look worried as they approach.

But for all the cursing I do as I pay my $53 (plus ridiculous $3 online transaction fee) each spring, it's certainly a lot less than it would cost to be caught w/o a license.

Oh, and this year is going great....
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #22
RailroadJoe

Just think. When you turn 68 (not 65 mind you) you can get a permanent license at no cost. But, you have to live that long.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #23
topwater

Grant, thats one heck of a fish right there !! Congratulations----
Old 05-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #24
Begonezvous

Default Related question on fishing license

I alway get my license each year because I've heard horror stories like this. I believe a portion of the proceeds are used for stocking programs so I feel that I get something back for my money.

Since I have a license, I have obviously never been questioned by an officer from F&G. What if I forget my license someday and I am asked for it by an officer? Would I get fined? Could I get it abated later on if I produce my license? The license shows the date and time of issue so its not like I could run out and obtain a license after getting fined.

What do the experts here say?
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #25
GTO

Default so.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd View Post
My 16 year old daughter brought her boyfriend to visit with our family this weekend up at the lake. Her boyfriend is a really nice polite person and is graduating soon from high school. He received a scholorship to college to play lacrosse. My daughter was showing him things that she has loved doing here at the lake since she was a small child. One of the activities she likes to show her city friends is fishing. My daughter and her friend took the old paddle boat out and cleaned it all up, grabbed 2 life vests and ventured off very close by our home in a rocky area. The fishing rods they brought with them are those children type rods. One was actually a spiderman rod. Mike was pretty impressed when my daughter pulled out this really large small mouth bass. He could not believe it. My daughter asked if he wanted to try the Spiderman rod as it was lucky. Next thing you know they are approached by a Fish & Game person. They told the kids that they had filmed them fishing and asked it they had a license. Growing up fishing at the lake and being only 16 Leah has never thought about a license. The F&G person saw that they were kids, had a few laughts about the Superman rod, asked if they were hiding something in a rolled up shirt, treatened to give them a fine for having life vests that were not large enough and handed them a $93 ticket. Nice experience for a kid who never fished before. Welcome to New Hampshire. I thought a simple warning and a lecture would have been enough. $93 ticket for a unemployed student is a bit much. I would think F&G would concentrate their time on adults who are clearly aware of the law and clearly breaking the law. I know some will say this boy is a adult and should be responsible yada yada. A simple warning would have been the proper thing to do in this situation.
So, are you saying that it is ok for nice polite graduates that have been accepted into a college, its ok to "break" the law? Essantially, no matter how anyone looks at this whole situation...thats what happened here. In case this was just a misunderstanding of the law....please inform your daughter and boyfriend, now being of age that one must get certain licenses/certificates, that they also must get a boating certificate if they want to operate a boat and a drivers liscense if they want to operate a car.
And obviously your daughter was wrong...the spider man rod did not bring them luck
Natt (06-03-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 06:38 PM   #26
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loony Singer View Post
Two summers back, my elder son (no kid, he was 29 at the time) was fishing from our dock, something he does maybe twice a year. Sure enough, a Fish and Game person came alongside. He was unfailingly polite, but the fine was issued anyway. That seems to be their norm...be nice about it, but hand the ticket out anyway. He did say that Fish and Game is not funded out of the state budget, but have to support their work through licenses and fines.

My son was pretty down about it, then decided that it wasn't so bad when you consider that it wasn't so bad if you amortize the $90 bucks over all of the years he's fished since he turned 16.

My 25 year old nephew just picked up a fine yesterday. His excuse was, "but we just live one cove over." That didn't cut it, either.
Loony Singer:

Don't you think that your son and nephew should follow simple rules? They aren't kids and by the sounds of it they purposely avoid getting licenses and my guess is you support their behavior. The way I view it is all of us who pay for our licenses are supporting freeloaders like your son and nephew. Your situation is clearly different than the seemingly innocent kids who got bagged on the paddle boat. Maybe it is because of repeat offenders like your family that make the fish and game officers so quick to issue tickets.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (05-31-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 PM   #27
4 for Boating

I guess I will share my story as it seems like the F&G were pretty active this weekend. So here it goes.

On my dock fishing with my two sons on and off for about an hour. (Ages 4 and 6) Kids get bored; walk off the dock and on to the beach. (About 25 feet away) I’m left with the rod (kids Zebco) and hook a fish. (Nice won actually) Call to the boys to come help. They get to the dock with my brother who helps lift the fish up, show it to the boys, let them touch it and get a picture of my older son with it. Quickly tossed back in and then F&G arrives to say they saw the whole thing and watched me land the fish and I did not appear to be “helping” my son how to learn. $93 later and off they go.

I understand the law but sort of rough I think. Funny this was as they were writing the ticket; my youngest son comes up and asks “Can we still fish?” I’m speechless as what to say and the officer’s don’t even bat an eye.
Well, I hope the money goes to good use.

As a somewhat unrelated topic, they tied up and disembarked on my dock which I did not really have a problem with but in general, does F&G and or Marine Patrol have the right to do this?
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:36 AM   #28
hockeypuck

I don't think the "Old Man" of the mountain fell down, nor do I think he was pushed. I think he jumped when he saw the way things were going in the "Live Free or Die" state.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #29
WinniTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Yeah -- never really had a "quality" interaction with F&G, and most times I've had my license checked, they were simply floating down our shore, stopping everywhere where someone was fishing from a a dock. In fact, if I see them in the area, I will intentionally throw out a line just to make them stop again. Then look worried as they approach.

But for all the cursing I do as I pay my $53 (plus ridiculous $3 online transaction fee) each spring, it's certainly a lot less than it would cost to be caught w/o a license.

Love your post. Perfect way to handle F&G at home. Next time say your licence is in your other pants at the house and kinda trot up there to get it. They'll chase you down doing 'the one hand on the gun' canter.
WinniTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #30
MikeF-NH

I know this iisn't going to be a popular response but it needs to be said. A license in required to fish or hunt in NH once you reach 16 PERIOD! That's the law and it doesn't only appy to "bad kids" - it applies to everyone. Fines are not just revenue generators, they are designed for a purpose and need to be followed. The F&G officer was doing his/her job and should be commended for correcting the action and the fine was 100% warrented and necessary.

If you got pulled over on the highway for doing 100 mph and said "but I'm a good guy and besides, I only drive this highway one time per year" do you think the officer would be a jerk for fining you? Of course not.

I run into F&G regularly while hunting and fishing and have always ALWAYS found them to be polite and professional. They have a job to do and deserve our support. Given that I don't think either of these young people will make this mistake again, I would rate the COs response as 100% effective. If it were my boy being cited, I wouldn't (under any circumstance) indicate that the officer was a jerk but would rather recommend that he take responsibility for the action and pay the fine himself.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh but I don't see anything done by F&G in this occasion as a problem.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
jmen24 (06-01-2010), Jmo77011 (06-01-2010), Natt (06-03-2010)
Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #31
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
I guess I will share my story as it seems like the F&G were pretty active this weekend. So here it goes.

On my dock fishing with my two sons on and off for about an hour. (Ages 4 and 6) Kids get bored; walk off the dock and on to the beach. (About 25 feet away) I’m left with the rod (kids Zebco) and hook a fish. (Nice won actually) Call to the boys to come help. They get to the dock with my brother who helps lift the fish up, show it to the boys, let them touch it and get a picture of my older son with it. Quickly tossed back in and then F&G arrives to say they saw the whole thing and watched me land the fish and I did not appear to be “helping” my son how to learn. $93 later and off they go.

I understand the law but sort of rough I think. Funny this was as they were writing the ticket; my youngest son comes up and asks “Can we still fish?” I’m speechless as what to say and the officer’s don’t even bat an eye.
Well, I hope the money goes to good use.

As a somewhat unrelated topic, they tied up and disembarked on my dock which I did not really have a problem with but in general, does F&G and or Marine Patrol have the right to do this?
F&G has the right to search you and your property without a warrant if a strong suspision of guilt for a wildlife related crime is perceived. So, yes, F&G can dock without your permission, I do not believe Marine Patrol has the same authority.

The thing to remember is this, when taking a child fishing, the idea is for the adult to have a license and then teach the child how to fish. If you had the license then there would be absolutely no issue with what you did. It sounds like you understand that.

Just to put these fines in perspective. The F&G officer could have done all of the following in the OP's situation. Confiscated the paddle boat, superman fishing rod, all tackle aboard the boat, suspended the oppurtunity to even purchase another license for up to four years and given a fine of $93. All of this is well within the scope of what they can do, for charging someone with poaching, which is what fishing and hunting without a license is.

You got off with a warning that you had to feel, by only having to pay a fine. Verbal warnings in situations like these do not deter it from happening again.

When I hear of people saying that I have never had a good experience with a F&G officer, I think to myself, what were they expecting to receive for service for breaking the law (in some cases).

Personally I have never had an experience with a CO that was not appropriate for the situation. I have been yelled at for driving an ATV down a dirt road, been talked to about why we were not allowed in certain areas after a certain date (closing of an atv park) and been helped in a quest to find a stock of game.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-01-2010)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #32
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinniTroll View Post
Love your post. Perfect way to handle F&G at home. Next time say your licence is in your other pants at the house and kinda trot up there to get it. They'll chase you down doing 'the one hand on the gun' canter.
And it is responses like this to a CO, asking a question that is of their concern to ask, that you folks get treated the way that you do. Act like an a** and you will get treated like one!

And we all wonder why out of staters get a bad rap from the locals.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Jmo77011 (06-01-2010), secondcurve (06-01-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #33
Loony Singer

Default you've got it wrong

Secondcurve,

It seems you misinterpreted my original post. In no way did I condone the behavior of my son or nephew. In the former case, he was of the impression that fishing from one's own dock did not require a license. He was ignorant of the law, and paid the price. In the second case, I was attempting to illustrate that F&G simply don't accept excuses, legitimate or weak....they're friendly but firm, as stated in the title of my post. Neither one of 'em got any sympathy or "support" from me...I'm a firm believer in "you did the crime, now pay the fine."

So please be a little more careful of your assumptions in the future, and you might want to avoid value-laden terms like "freeloaders" and "repeat offenders" unless you're 100% sure of the ground you're standing on. Thanks.
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #34
Dave R

I think there should be a free (or at least very cheap) warm water species license for residents who catch and release warm water species. F&G does not stock warm water species. Seem silly to me that I have to pay for a fishing license to cover the cost of stocking rivers with rainbow and brown trout, species that I'm pretty sure aren't even indigenous to the area, when I don't fish for them. I used to love to fish for bass and other warm water fish, now I just don't bother because the license is absurdly priced.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #35
dragonfly03246

Default Absurdly Priced?

I don't understand how people can complain about a license that cost them a whole $35/year which equals out to a whopping $2.92/month! Even if you bought it in May with 7 months left of the year it's still only going to cost you a total of five bucks a month to fish. I'm pretty sure people waste more money than that buying a Dunkin Donuts coffee.
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #36
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post

$53 for a fishing license!!! WOW that sounds crazy,,,

I had no idea they were that much.

So what exactly does that fee pay for???

WOW, now I know what sticker shock is,,,
Old 06-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #37
dragonfly03246

Default License fees

Sorry, I should have included that the $35 is for NH Residents. The $53 is non-residents which is still a small price to pay - about $5 a month.

Those kids also could've gotten a 1-day or 3-day pass for a small fee.
dragonfly03246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #38
jrc

They do seem a little steep. I think a cheaper basic license and special stamp for trout and salmon would be a good idea.

N.H. RESIDENT
Fishing $35.00
1-day Fishing $10.00
3-day Fishing N/A
7-day Fishing N/A

NONRESIDENT
Fishing $53.00
1-day Fishing $15.00
3-day Fishing $28.00
7-day Fishing $35.00
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #39
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
They do seem a little steep. I think a cheaper basic license and special stamp for trout and salmon would be a good idea.

N.H. RESIDENT
Fishing $35.00
1-day Fishing $10.00
3-day Fishing N/A
7-day Fishing N/A

NONRESIDENT
Fishing $53.00
1-day Fishing $15.00
3-day Fishing $28.00
7-day Fishing $35.00
If memory serves, they used to offer a $14 warm-water-species-only license. When it went away, I stopped fishing.

I have no desire to fund what I think is an absurd practice of raising feral species of fish for the sole purpose of "put and take fishing", nor do I wish to fund the practice of video-taping teenagers playing with little kid's fishing rods on a paddle boat. They've really got nothing better to do?

Bear in mind, I'm not condoning the actions of the teens, I'm just bothered by the absurdity of the whole situation. Fish and Game is funded by license fees, is this the best way to use the money?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #40
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
If memory serves, they used to offer a $14 warm-water-species-only license. When it went away, I stopped fishing.

I have no desire to fund what I think is an absurd practice of raising feral species of fish for the sole purpose of "put and take fishing", nor do I wish to fund the practice of video-taping teenagers playing with little kid's fishing rods on a paddle boat. They've really got nothing better to do?

Bear in mind, I'm not condoning the actions of the teens, I'm just bothered by the absurdity of the whole situation. Fish and Game is funded by license fees, is this the best way to use the money?
Funny enough is they actually do not have anything better to do. A CO's job is to enforce the wildlife laws of the state. They do not stock fish, F&G has biologists for that and other than assisting someone with a wildlife related issue, all they do is patrol for violations, check licenses and registrations of OHRV's, boats, etc. There are only a few officers for the entire state http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Law_...ment/index.htm so they typically do not handle issues other than the items noted above.

The reason that they video tape suspected violations prior to approaching is that it creates an open and shut case if the accused decides to take the issue to court. It eliminates the "Oh, I was just holding the rod for my friend" excuse. It is more likely than not that anyone fishing on a lake the size of Winni, has at one point or another been observed by a CO at a distance. This is how they do their job. Ice fisherman are often viewed from a distance to determine if they have the proper amount of lines in the water per person.

Dave R, I hear what you are saying regarding the options for fishing licenses, but I think the issue becomes greyed when viewed from a selection standpoint. Unlike hunting, where you purchase a license to hunt deer you are likely not going to harvest a bear. With fishing, the vast majority of people fishing are just looking to catch something and then identifying what they have. That is the equivelent of shooting a bear when you are deer hunting and when you realize that you shot the wrong thing, just moving on to continue to look for a deer.

I am fully aware that some folks can target a specific species of fish and that is all they catch, I have friends that are quite good at this task. But, someone like myself that only goes fishing a few times a year are not going to be able to be that specific and good for that matter.

When you take a good long look at what the NH F&G, as a whole, does for the conservation of wildlife in the state, I would say that we are getting a pretty good return on our investment.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #41
MikeF-NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Funny enough is they actually do not have anything better to do. A CO's job is to enforce the wildlife laws of the state. .
Actually this is not entirely true. COs are also responsible for:
-Primary search and rescue group for both water bodies and forested lands
-Hunter Education Instruction
-land owner assistance for wildlife and OHRV access questions/issues
-work in cooperation with Coast Guard for maritime violations
...I'm sure there are more that I haven't listed.

They are VERY understaffed in their endeavors and do a terrific job in my opinion.

Also, your fishing license fees do not just go to pay for stocking efforts. All of the above are also funded by fee revenues. When some idiot walks off onto Mt Washington in May with a shortsleeve shirt, shorts and sneakers and thousands are spent to find and rescue him...guess where that $ comes from? Aquisition of new land for public access (ramps) and the building and maintaining of ramps come from there. Educational programs for our schools and non-profit programs all come from Fish and Game funding (some of which comes directly from fees).

I not only don't complain about buying my licenses, I am happy to pay the fees because I get much more than my money's worth back in return.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Jmo77011 (06-02-2010), Jonas Pilot (06-02-2010), secondcurve (06-02-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #42
TOAD

Well said Mike!
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #43
Dave R

Quote:
I am fully aware that some folks can target a specific species of fish and that is all they catch, I have friends that are quite good at this task. But, someone like myself that only goes fishing a few times a year are not going to be able to be that specific and good for that matter.

When you take a good long look at what the NH F&G, as a whole, does for the conservation of wildlife in the state, I would say that we are getting a pretty good return on our investment.

I hear ya. I just got disgusted when they stopped selling the perfect license for me and forced me to pay for fishing I had no intention of participating in or just give up the occasional fishing I did. When I fish, I use barbless hooks and just wish to catch and release a few indigenous and thriving species of fish a year. Last time I bought a license, I probably fished for 4 hours all season and myabe caught 20 fish. I wasn't catching rainbow trout on spinnerbaits and rubber worms...

The all-species license was perfect for those who were unsure of what they were going to catch, or those who wished to fund the put and take efforts.

To put manpower into fishing license law enforcement for people catching warm water species from a paddleboat using kiddie rods is absurd when trout fly fishing season is in full swing. I think they should be patrolling the stocked rivers instead. I also think the fine for fishing for stocked fish without a license should be $1000, not the same as the fine for illegal bass fishing. Bass don't require any funds to manage, they take care of stuff like breeding all on their own. Mercury poisoning has done a great job of preventing over-fishing of them because eating too many of them will make you ill (they are also terrible eating when they don't come out of the ice, IMO).
Old 06-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #44
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
Actually this is not entirely true. COs are also responsible for:
-Primary search and rescue group for both water bodies and forested lands
-Hunter Education Instruction
-land owner assistance for wildlife and OHRV access questions/issues
-work in cooperation with Coast Guard for maritime violations
...I'm sure there are more that I haven't listed.

They are VERY understaffed in their endeavors and do a terrific job in my opinion.

Also, your fishing license fees do not just go to pay for stocking efforts. All of the above are also funded by fee revenues. When some idiot walks off onto Mt Washington in May with a shortsleeve shirt, shorts and sneakers and thousands are spent to find and rescue him...guess where that $ comes from? Aquisition of new land for public access (ramps) and the building and maintaining of ramps come from there. Educational programs for our schools and non-profit programs all come from Fish and Game funding (some of which comes directly from fees).

I not only don't complain about buying my licenses, I am happy to pay the fees because I get much more than my money's worth back in return.
Did I miss something in my post or any of my previous posts regarding F&G and how important I think they are? Sorry I kept my example short.

I think you might have missed the point of my statement. It was to redirect a comment that implied that CO's are wasting time picking on kids.

Just as an FYI, the idiot that has to be rescued off Mt. Washington for not be prepared to the changes in weather conditions or the known/posted weather at the summit receives a bill for the cost of the S&R. A family member has been involved with K9 S&R for close to 15 years now, in Maine, NH and VT.

I am well aware of ALL the things that my license fees go toward. If you took a step back, you would see that we are on the same side of this arguement. Maybe I am taking your post out of context, if that is the case than I appologize.

Last edited by jmen24; 06-02-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #45
MikeF-NH

Hi jmen24...I'm not sure my response was directly at your post as there were several posts that were very negative on F&G and insinuated that they do nothing but harass kids. If you posted something different then this then you and I are on the same side of the argument.

I am aware that irresponsible hikers do get billed IF F&G can prove they acted recklessly. I think it would be naive to assume that they are successful in these billing practice even "most of the time". For S&R operations where negligence is not an issue, F&G foots the entire bill and yes a portion of that does come from our fishing (and other F&G sponsored) licenses (which to me is just wrong).

I didn't want to wag my finger at anyone in particular but did want to emphasize my support of our COs and specify that we are all responsible for our actions and that includes being fined for breaking the law whether we know the law or not (knowning the law is our responsibility the moment we touch a fishing rod). Not being a frequent fisherman is no excuse. Why should someone who only fishes a few times a year be exempt from the laws the rest of us follow?
Old 06-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #46
NHgirl

Default Fishing Lake Winni

Sorry guys but not too be rude or anything, but you do need a fishing license on that lake when you reach the age of 16+, sorry. Sorry that happened to her and her boyfriend. Best of luck to all fishing there.
NHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #47
XCR-700

Assuming the previous posts are accurate (and I have no reason to questions them) all I can say is what a mess!

These programs are so convoluted no wonder it costs so much to run government. But then we could debate that until the webserver crashes,,,

I stand by my comment that $53 for a fishing license is crazy, my truck registration is not that much!

If they need to generate revenue for search and rescue or wildlife management or whatever then they should be looking at better/other options.

Its easy for some of us to say I’m happy to pay for certain things like boat or snowmobile registration as these are luxury items, but fishing (excluding the organized events) is a fundamental activity and one that should be within the reach of everyone.

The people involved in the original thread post can probably well afford the license fee, so I will not attempt to argue for them, but I know plenty of other folks that might struggle to pay that amount for the privilege of dropping a line in from shore hoping to enjoy what Mother Nature gave us (not the state)

Sorry, not disparaging the fish and game people or anyone else, just making the point that fishing is not like carving a trail out of the woods and grooming it all season for our snowmobiles, its inherently a natural activity and one that should be readily within the affordability of everyone. Somewhere we have lost sight of that,,,

If you believe that fishing licenses are a reasonable requirement (and I’m sure we could debate that until everyone is PO’d) but assuming it is accepted as reasonable, then maybe a better way to deal with it would be to have tiered licenses such as; no fee or very modest fee for fishing from shore, modest fee for fishing from an unpowered or electric powered or under a certain HP powered boat, and a “full” fee for fishing from a power boat over a certain HP. At least that might better reflect the ability of some to pay what they can legitimately afford, while still allowing others to enjoy this activity without undue financial hardship.

I’m done on this one,,,
Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #48
secondcurve

Quote:
Assuming the previous posts are accurate (and I have no reason to questions them) all I can say is what a mess!

These programs are so convoluted no wonder it costs so much to run government. But then we could debate that until the webserver crashes,,,

I stand by my comment that $53 for a fishing license is crazy, my truck registration is not that much!

If they need to generate revenue for search and rescue or wildlife management or whatever then they should be looking at better/other options.

Its easy for some of us to say I’m happy to pay for certain things like boat or snowmobile registration as these are luxury items, but fishing (excluding the organized events) is a fundamental activity and one that should be within the reach of everyone.

The people involved in the original thread post can probably well afford the license fee, so I will not attempt to argue for them, but I know plenty of other folks that might struggle to pay that amount for the privilege of dropping a line in from shore hoping to enjoy what Mother Nature gave us (not the state)

Sorry, not disparaging the fish and game people or anyone else, just making the point that fishing is not like carving a trail out of the woods and grooming it all season for our snowmobiles, its inherently a natural activity and one that should be readily within the affordability of everyone. Somewhere we have lost sight of that,,,

If you believe that fishing licenses are a reasonable requirement (and I’m sure we could debate that until everyone is PO’d) but assuming it is accepted as reasonable, then maybe a better way to deal with it would be to have tiered licenses such as; no fee or very modest fee for fishing from shore, modest fee for fishing from an unpowered or electric powered or under a certain HP powered boat, and a “full” fee for fishing from a power boat over a certain HP. At least that might better reflect the ability of some to pay what they can legitimately afford, while still allowing others to enjoy this activity without undue financial hardship.

I’m done on this one,,,
I don't think $53 (out of state) and $35.00 (in state) is a lot of money for an entire season of fishing. Skiing costs $75.00 a day! Further, fishing is the number one recreational activity in the country so lots of folks participate. If we didn't have fish and game monitoring fisheries for optimal game stock, watching for poachers, etc. the fisheries would quickly be destroyed by the public. I'm sorry to say, some oversight is needed and fish and game does an excellent job of providing that oversight.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #49
Pineedles

Angry

You are soooo right secondcurve. Skiing costs $75.00 a day or more. I bet tubing is even more expensive. I only wish that NH and the rest of the NE states could adopt reciprocity, whereby any other New England State resident could get NH Resident Status for buying hunting and fishing licenses, as long their resident state gave NH people resident status too.

Last edited by Pineedles; 06-03-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: removed political statement.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-03-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #50
Skip

Smile It's a deal, in my humble opinion!

I'm also with Seconcurve and Pineneedles.

A $35 or $53 dollar license can give you countless hours of enjoyment and if you are any good (or lucky) put several nice meals on the table.

My wife and I will easily drop $50 or more dollars spending an hour having a good meal. I'll run $50+ a day just in fuel for the both of us to spend a day snowmobiling. And taking the cruiser out to the Isles of Shoals and back with a little coastal site seeing can easily set me back $100 a day in gas.

It's all in your perspective, I guess.

On another note I see that in almost all cases that the CO was professional and courteous in his duties. That is a reflection on the excellent leadership at Fish & Game, including a good friend of mine, Major Tim Acerno in Law Enforcement.

I also get to work every snowmobile season with a variety of local COs at the Youth Snowmobile Safety Classes I teach. I have great respect and deep appreciation for the jobs these greatly outnumbered professionals do.

I could go on and on, but my opinion is slanted due to the fact that I have gotten to spend so much time working with many individuals within this excellent Department.

I think that the hunting, fishing and trapping opportunities that this State offers easily justifies the costs incurred by both in and out-of-state sportsmen....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (06-03-2010), secondcurve (06-03-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #51
topwater

Very well put Skip ! Cost of a license $35 --- peace of mind === Priceless!!
The Following User Says Thank You to topwater For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-03-2010)
Old 06-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #52
eillac@dow

Default My opinion...

I am sure F&G does do a good job, but what about being that someone who is able to "catch a break"? I would have to go back and re-read all the posts, but if memory serves me correctly, it sounded like the "offenders" were pretty respectiveful and for the most part, somewhat harmless / innocent people just fishing / playing.

I guess I think of it like....I am going over the speed limit "a bit" on the highway, get pulled over. Would'nt it be nice to get the warning....instead of the ticket????

Don't mean to offend anyone, just stating my opinion.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #53
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Here's another way to avoid a bad situation

Make the license a Christmas Hannukah Birthday Anniversary Gee-I'm-glad-you're-my-kid gift. More value than a $25 gift card at Walmart, unless you are FLL .
Old 06-03-2010, 03:33 AM   #54
Argie's Wife

If someone was pulled over for driving without a license would we also expect a break? The law is the law and we have a branch of our government that has the job to uphold the law. No one will bleed because someone was fishing without a license but... you get the idea.

Yesterday I got to go on a field trip with the youngest Argelet's class to the fish hatchery on Powder Mill Rd. in New Durham. It's run by the Fish & Game Dept. What a great set up they have there! I had no idea how much work went into stocking the lakes and the volume of stock they work with each year. It's a free tour and open every day except for Christmas and Thanksgiving. You can just walk the grounds anytime, too, without a guide. No joke. The kids got to view fish from the 'hatchling' or fry stage all the way up to a 16lb rainbow trout - it was enormous!

If you want to see where your money goes from taxes and fees, this is a good example.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (06-03-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #55
twoplustwo

Default that's what I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Make the license a Christmas Hannukah Birthday Anniversary Gee-I'm-glad-you're-my-kid gift. More value than a $25 gift card at Walmart, unless you are FLL .
I put my husband's license and derby ticket in his Christmas stocking every year, the cost of a fishing license is far cheaper than the cost of therapy

In this situation, I honestly think the responsibility lies with the host to inform their guest of the local laws with regard to fishing, fires, or anything else specific to the region. And in this situation, because the guest wasn't informed, I think you should pick up the cost of the ticket and not let the nice but poor and unemployed student have to pay the cost of a lack of information.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:42 AM   #56
Mink Islander

Default Thank you F&G!

I have been checked for my fishing license many times over the years whether ice fishing or trolling from my boat and I have ALWAYS found the F&G Officers to be extremely courteous.

I applaud them for being very rigid in issuing fines. The rules here are really really simple. If you are 16 or older, you have to have a license. If you fish without one, you are poaching. If you get caught, you will be fined or worse. I think the zero tolerance approach stands as a strong warning to everyone and probably aids in ensuring compliance. If you know you're going to get a stiff fine if caught (as this thread clearly highlights) you should think twice about fishing without a license.... Simple as that.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #57
riverat

Default No License Required on June 5th,2010

Take advantage of "Free Fishing Day" in NH Saturday June 5th http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/News...er_052810.html
Argie's Wife (06-04-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 07:23 AM   #58
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
Hi jmen24...I'm not sure my response was directly at your post as there were several posts that were very negative on F&G and insinuated that they do nothing but harass kids. If you posted something different then this then you and I are on the same side of the argument.

I am aware that irresponsible hikers do get billed IF F&G can prove they acted recklessly. I think it would be naive to assume that they are successful in these billing practice even "most of the time". For S&R operations where negligence is not an issue, F&G foots the entire bill and yes a portion of that does come from our fishing (and other F&G sponsored) licenses (which to me is just wrong).

I didn't want to wag my finger at anyone in particular but did want to emphasize my support of our COs and specify that we are all responsible for our actions and that includes being fined for breaking the law whether we know the law or not (knowning the law is our responsibility the moment we touch a fishing rod). Not being a frequent fisherman is no excuse. Why should someone who only fishes a few times a year be exempt from the laws the rest of us follow?
No worries Mike, I really wasn't sure and of course I have a hard time just biting my tongue. You and I are in complete agreement on this issue and our support for F&G. Thanks for the clear up.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #59
jmen24

Quote:
I snipped down your quote, but to put this in perspective. Two years ago I went to Colorado for the change to harvest a bull elk, a mule deer and threw in a cow elk tag to increase my chances. That cost $1,350.00 for three tags and that is it. It is not like it is out here where you have a general license that would allow for small game and native birds along with you hunting license, all you get is three tags for three specific animals.

Now I am not comparing an elk or mule deer to trout and bass or even whitetailed deer, but just showing that it could be worse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (06-03-2010), secondcurve (06-03-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #60
4 for Boating

I just find it amusing that while I own a home in NH and pay taxes (considerable for that matter) I fall into the bin of non-resident for a fishing license. Not about the money, more about the principle of the matter. AND I know the standard response, “If you don’t like it move out”. However just seems silly.

Doing a quick recreational tally:
1. Fishing License $
2. Registration for the Boat $
3. Registration for the Trailer $
4. Permit for the town Dump $
a. Free pass on fee for ramp with the Dump Sticker (Yee Haw)
5. Possible future permit for swim platform?

Sure hope the gas prices stay down this summer.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #61
4 for Boating

Forgot one

6. Permit to have a camp fire (Free, I think)
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #62
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
I just find it amusing that while I own a home in NH and pay taxes (considerable for that matter) I fall into the bin of non-resident for a fishing license. Not about the money, more about the principle of the matter. AND I know the standard response, “If you don’t like it move out”. However just seems silly.

Doing a quick recreational tally:
1. Fishing License $
2. Registration for the Boat $
3. Registration for the Trailer $
4. Permit for the town Dump $
a. Free pass on fee for ramp with the Dump Sticker (Yee Haw)
5. Possible future permit for swim platform?

Sure hope the gas prices stay down this summer.
That's the price you pay for NH not having a state income tax.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #63
XCR-700

Quote:
I snipped down your quote, but to put this in perspective. Two years ago I went to Colorado for the change to harvest a bull elk, a mule deer and threw in a cow elk tag to increase my chances. That cost $1,350.00 for three tags and that is it. It is not like it is out here where you have a general license that would allow for small game and native birds along with you hunting license, all you get is three tags for three specific animals.

Now I am not comparing an elk or mule deer to trout and bass or even whitetailed deer, but just showing that it could be worse.
Like with all things there are different perspectives,,,

There is the perspective of the person who maybe should have known better, but didn’t and was clearly not an intentional offender but they got harshly penalized for their ignorance. Their perspective is, it stinks,,, (and sorry I NEVER buy the argument that ignorance of the law is no excuse. We are not all lawyers nor are we all as knowledgeable as the person who would stand judgment of us,,,) There used to be such a thing as an honest mistake, and when that mistake resulted in no injury to anyone else we had warnings not big dollar fines!

And then there is the perspective of the person who legitimately cannot afford the license,,, Consider that for a moment,,, Well you really cant! You can try, but unless you are in that position you really cant and that’s where we loose credibility when we stand on the soapbox and preach about how its “worth it” and “its money well spent” and all the other arguments that are meaningless to the person with empty pockets.

I can afford a license and most here can as well, but I also realize that there are many who are not as fortunate and that would struggle to afford a license fee of that magnitude.

Again, we are talking about a license that allows people to fish not a registration fee that covers cutting thousands of miles of trails through the woods and then pays for them to be groomed weekly or more so that we can ride our many thousand dollar snowmobiles on in comfort. Nor is this a fee that covers some inspection or oversight program to ensure public safety like food and beverage licenses. And its sure not a license in the sense of a drivers or pilots license that ensures that you are qualified to operate vehicles, it’s a fishing license!

I wont attempt to debate any of the items that some argue are the positive results of the ability of the state to collect such revenue, I simply ask you to consider that the $53 fee we are talking about it not an insignificant amount of money for many people.

Hummm,,, wasn’t I done after the last post,,,

LOL,,, sorry,,,
Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #64
RailroadJoe

I for one know of people who can't afford to eat 3 meals a day, let alone pay for a fishing license. And they use a drop line, can't afford a rod and reel. If you can afford $1,500 for elk and other licenses, then I guess you can afford the $53.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #65
jmen24

Quote:
Like with all things there are different perspectives,,,

There is the perspective of the person who maybe should have known better, but didn’t and was clearly not an intentional offender but they got harshly penalized for their ignorance. Their perspective is, it stinks,,, (and sorry I NEVER buy the argument that ignorance of the law is no excuse. We are not all lawyers nor are we all as knowledgeable as the person who would stand judgment of us,,,) There used to be such a thing as an honest mistake, and when that mistake resulted in no injury to anyone else we had warnings not big dollar fines!

And then there is the perspective of the person who legitimately cannot afford the license,,, Consider that for a moment,,, Well you really cant! You can try, but unless you are in that position you really cant and that’s where we loose credibility when we stand on the soapbox and preach about how its “worth it” and “its money well spent” and all the other arguments that are meaningless to the person with empty pockets.

I can afford a license and most here can as well, but I also realize that there are many who are not as fortunate and that would struggle to afford a license fee of that magnitude.

Again, we are talking about a license that allows people to fish not a registration fee that covers cutting thousands of miles of trails through the woods and then pays for them to be groomed weekly or more so that we can ride our many thousand dollar snowmobiles on in comfort. Nor is this a fee that covers some inspection or oversight program to ensure public safety like food and beverage licenses. And its sure not a license in the sense of a drivers or pilots license that ensures that you are qualified to operate vehicles, it’s a fishing license!

I wont attempt to debate any of the items that some argue are the positive results of the ability of the state to collect such revenue, I simply ask you to consider that the $53 fee we are talking about it not an insignificant amount of money for many people.

Hummm,,, wasn’t I done after the last post,,,

LOL,,, sorry,,,
You make a very valid point and you are right. While you are correct that $53 is a lot of money for a fishing license if you are fighting everyday to keep your head above water. I would think that if you are in that position, then you would not need to be purchasing an out of state license for fishing and take the lower resident rate license from the state you reside in. Which in NH is $35.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #66
Grant

I grumble just as much when I purchase my resident license in Pennsylvania each spring. But, just like NH, it funds programs that make it possible for more people to fish in more places. It's all good.

And, just for comparison's sake, a single day of diving starts at around $16...just for the AIR. Factor in a boat trip, a charter, or admission to a dive quarry, gas, tolls and that 2-3 dive day can quickly total $50, $60, $70, $80 and more...
Old 06-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #67
4 for Boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
That's the price you pay for NH not having a state income tax.
I just wish I lived in NH so I could take advantage of the state income tax benefits.

Well, such is the price for an enjoyable life as they say.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #68
XCR-700

Quote:
You make a very valid point and you are right. While you are correct that $53 is a lot of money for a fishing license if you are fighting everyday to keep your head above water. I would think that if you are in that position, then you would not need to be purchasing an out of state license for fishing and take the lower resident rate license from the state you reside in. Which in NH is $35.
You are assuming that people dont live near the border and the water is on the other side,,,

The reality is that its not a big point in my world, I haven’t been into fishing for many - many years now, I just have way too many hobbies and not nearly enough time for them. If I were interested in fishing the license fee wouldn’t stop me in any way, but then I am fully employed and earn a reasonable living.

I’ll be the first to admit that mine may be a different perspective, but I don’t see how you can reasonable argue that a fishing license fee should be legitimate because a day of skiing costs X or a day on a charter boat costs Y. Again I may well be the odd man out, but I can’t help but feel like anyone who could make such a statement must live in an isolated world. Nothing wrong with that, but if you look around, you have to see that there are plenty of folks not as well off as we are and for some of them fishing is an inexpensive hobby that is fun and relaxing and in some cases it can put food on the table. So I for one don’t see fishing from shore or from a rowboat in the same class as downhill skiing or fishing for tuna from a chartered boat, or any of these other more expensive luxuries.

I hope that none of you who would argue that the $35/$53 fee is reasonable should ever find themselves unemployed or otherwise on the low end of the income spectrum, as it will surly come as shock to find that you can no longer afford the “simple things” in life,,,

OK, now I’m really done (I promise,,, this time LOL )
Old 06-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #69
jmen24

Quote:
You are assuming that people dont live near the border and the water is on the other side,,,

The reality is that its not a big point in my world, I haven’t been into fishing for many - many years now, I just have way too many hobbies and not nearly enough time for them. If I were interested in fishing the license fee wouldn’t stop me in any way, but then I am fully employed and earn a reasonable living.

I’ll be the first to admit that mine may be a different perspective, but I don’t see how you can reasonable argue that a fishing license fee should be legitimate because a day of skiing costs X or a day on a charter boat costs Y. Again I may well be the odd man out, but I can’t help but feel like anyone who could make such a statement must live in an isolated world. Nothing wrong with that, but if you look around, you have to see that there are plenty of folks not as well off as we are and for some of them fishing is an inexpensive hobby that is fun and relaxing and in some cases it can put food on the table. So I for one don’t see fishing from shore or from a rowboat in the same class as downhill skiing or fishing for tuna from a chartered boat, or any of these other more expensive luxuries.

I hope that none of you who would argue that the $35/$53 fee is reasonable should ever find themselves unemployed or otherwise on the low end of the income spectrum, as it will surly come as shock to find that you can no longer afford the “simple things” in life,,,

OK, now I’m really done (I promise,,, this time LOL )
I thought you were done with this thread. poke; poke.
I hear ya and you make some good points. It is still a choice to pay the fee or not, better than a tax. At least we have input as to whether or not we want to enjoy the recreation or you can just fish from the underside of a bridge and play dumb if someone comes around.

I won't keep drawing you back, I promise.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (06-04-2010)
Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #70
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default A solution?

I believe that when I lived in Lousiana back in the 70's, you could fish with a cane pole and not have a license. For those who don't know, a cane pole is a piece of cane, thicker on one end that the other and looks a lot like bamboo. No reels, just a line tied to the thin end, and you would use bait like worms or crickets. Catch bream (sunfish) and other panfish like white perch, crappies, etc.. It was actually a lot of fun and a good way to take a kid fishing.

I could see this type of fishing in NH, and also tossing out drop lines.

But unfortunately, even with such a law, if you pick up a regular rod and reel, you better have the license or be ready to pay the fine if you get caught.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #71
trfour

Thumbs up Tenfour And Yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I believe that when I lived in Lousiana back in the 70's, you could fish with a cane pole and not have a license. For those who don't know, a cane pole is a piece of cane, thicker on one end that the other and looks a lot like bamboo. No reels, just a line tied to the thin end, and you would use bait like worms or crickets. Catch bream (sunfish) and other panfish like white perch, crappies, etc.. It was actually a lot of fun and a good way to take a kid fishing.

I could see this type of fishing in NH, and also tossing out drop lines.

But unfortunately, even with such a law, if you pick up a regular rod and reel, you better have the license or be ready to pay the fine if you get caught.

UpThesaukee says it so well...
Hi Dave, reminds me when I used to take just some old bread, a string and some hooks down to the waters edge on Cape Breton Island, NS as a lad... As fast as I could ball up some bread to bate the hook, toss her in, I'd have a keeper... They "Want no sardines either!"
GameFeesh heaven!

Some life long friends have done very well fishing for Bluefin tuna off the New England coast as well!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote