Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #101
Weirs guy

Default My turn

Hi, my names Glen, and I’m a Winni addict. (all together now, “Hi Glen”).

Actually, I’m the grandson and son (speaking of son, maybe its time you stopped lurking and posted here too mom) of Winni addicts, which I guess in retrospect makes me a Winni Baby? Anywho, I’m currently a “Guy” living at the “Weirs”, hence the clever screen name. The avitar is an old photo of our house circa 1900 that came with the house, I’m pretty sure along with a few rugs in the living room.

The house is actually my memere’s, which I have managed to strategically hijack via squatters rights. She and my grandfather bought it in the early 60’s, and I’ve managed to squeak in every last minute here I could. In the late 80’s – early 90’s I even managed to get a summer job busing tables at the Pier Restaurant for our neighbor at the time.

The plan all along was to keep the house and retire here, but one day I had the choice of working 2 jobs to pay rent in Concord or move into the recently vacated house on the lake for a “while”. Guess that was a wicked hard choice. Now I get to share this magnificent place with my 2 kids and wife (and dog and cat). There’s nothing like seeing the glow in our daughters face when she tells people she can see Mount Washington from her bedroom window, hearing our son brag about telling his teacher things about the Weirs she didn’t know, playing catch on the boardwalk before the season starts, sharing a walk down Veterans Ave. with the boss, a trip to the arcades on a hot summer night (about a 30 second walk), watching my son ride his Schwinn Stingray “chopper” around Weeks Ave. during bikeweek, watching life come to a stop so the whole family can watch the Mount, Doris or Sophie come and go…

Unfortunately we won’t be staying here forever. I love the lake, but the city of Laconia is another story (me and JTA need to discuss a 2 pronged succession war). The good news? After only 2 years here I’ve convinced the boss that the lake is where its at, and our next stops probably an island!

And now if you’ll all excuse me, Buffalo Gal has inspired me to go home and throw in the “It’s a wonderful life” DVD. Buffalo Gals won’t you come out tonight, come out tonight, come out tonight…..

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:42 PM   #102
Buffalo Gal

"...and dance by the light of the moon..."
Buffalo Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:48 PM   #103
Pineedles

Default Aquadeziac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
Ahhh yes, the Avatar. Its the cartoon sticker on the cowl of my jetski. And as far as senility...I am 53, have been jetskiing for 10 yrs and don't forsee stopping anytime soon and neither do the two friends that are ten years older than me. No matter what your age, try it once and you will be addicted, guaranteed.
I meant me getting senile, and doing it naked. I do Jetski and I love it at 53 too. My first time on though I learned the important lesson of "no power, no steering" about 10' from a shoreline of rocks. I jumped off and held the yoke, avoiding damage to both me and the Jetski. Both my kids and wife witnessed this not so elegant move on my part. They had a good laugh and after awhile, I did too.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #104
pmj

Default guess what my favorite hobby is?

The avatar tells all. My name is my initials...but backwards.
I live about 10 minutes from the lake. I LOVE to sail and I can be found on my sailboat weekdays during the summer (yup, one of the lucky ones with summers off) and weekends only after 3PM (then I don't have to deal with powerboats...NOT that I don't like powerboats but it IS easier to sail (and more peaceful) without dealing with huge wakes)

pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #105
REB

My name is Bob. We first rented on Bear Island when our son was 1 year old. He is now 56. Daughter came along 4 years later.
We bought a camp on Bear in 1967 and sold in 1999. My wife passed away so I felt I didn't want to stay there alone. My wife's ashes were spread on the Lake which she loved dearly.
REB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #106
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Smile Calling "CQ CQ"...

Hello,

I’m AL, Skipper of the Sea Que (pronounced CQ). I’m a long time forum user - I‘ve been called a “Charter Member“ here. I was visiting the site before Webmaster added the Forum section. Sea Que was used by my father as the name of our first family boat in the late 1950’s. My Dad and I were active in Amateur Radio (HAM Radio) and the letters C Q were used as a general call to any other ham radio station. In 1963 my parents upgraded from a 16-foot inboard to a 21-foot Chris Craft inboard that we kept until early 1990’s. It was the Sea Que II and spent the early part of summer moored in Marblehead (MA) harbor. In mid August we would trailer the boat to Lake Winnipesaukee for vacation. I was at the helm solo starting at age 11. Later in our 21-footer we would water ski with most of the other kids at Silver Sands. Our record was eight skiers up at once behind that boat (when it was legal).

I started enjoying the Lake in the late ‘50’s as a camper at Camp Samoset on the site where the Samoset Condominiums now stand. My folks would stay at Silver Sands for 3 weeks each summer. They timed the vacation to spend a week alone before camp was over and then 2 weeks with my brother and me. We’ve had a family presence at Silver Sands every year since then. My wife and I even spent our honeymoon at Silver Sands. .

My wife and I bought a new 1994 Four Winns 238 Vista Cruiser and named it the Sea Que. In 1995 we started renting a slip right next to Silver Sands at Mountain View Yacht Club. We spent many days each summer living (cramped camping) on board while our children were younger (and smaller) ending the summer with a 2 week stay at Silver Sands. A few years later we found a slip we really liked available at MVYC and we became owners/members. Webmaster took a panorama view from behind the Sea Que by coincidence and you can see it here: Panorama view from behind the Sea Que

My family lived in Saugus (MA) where I started growing up (I don’t think I’m done yet ). My avatar varies and can be a picture of our boat or something related to one of my passions or our hobbies. I support the Shriners Childrens’ Hospitals as a Shriner and member of Aleppo Temple. Ham Radio is still important to my family. My late parents and brother were Hams and my wife is also a licensed Ham. It was Ham Radio that kept us in-touch and led me to a career in commercial radio broadcasting (on both sides of the microphone) at several local stations. My wife Linda also found a career in the media and works behind-the-scenes at a local TV station.

For many years my Dad was pictured on one of the Silver Sands post cards and now the back of my wife’s head appears in the current Silver Sands brochure. Even though my parents are gone I still see them in my minds eye sitting in the sun and enjoying Silver Sands. It’s almost as if they are still there.

Almost forgot the main question: In the early days of the Forum I often tied my screen name to the topic. Talking about duck itch I was the Medical Officer of the Sea Que. About Marine VHF I was the Communications Officer of the Sea Que and so on. When we had to register I became the Skipper of the Sea Que.

Blame CSUHockey3 for getting me started down memory lane .
Thanks Don Z for so many years of Winnipesaukee dot com.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #107
csuhockey3

Default I accept the blame!

Hey Al, I'll take the blame for your trip down memory lane -- great post!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #108
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Bob Glad to hear from you..

Quote:
Originally Posted by REB
My name is Bob. We first rented on Bear Island when our son was 1 year old. He is now 56. Daughter came along 4 years later.
We bought a camp on Bear in 1967 and sold in 1999. My wife passed away so I felt I didn't want to stay there alone. My wife's ashes were spread on the Lake which she loved dearly.
Bob, I'll say a prayer for your wife the first time I take the boat onto the waters that hold her ashes.

IMHO... Bob's post best describes the love so many of us have for the lake and the people we have been able to share it with.

Look back over the posts... what's the common thread? Not the mountains, not the water, not the views... It's the FAMILY.

Impressive... very impressive. It's like the lake has acted like a "memory magnet" Bravo Winnipesaukee!

Great Thread!
Old 04-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #109
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Lot's of Saugus here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper of the Sea Que
My family lived in Saugus (MA) where I started growing up (I don’t think I’m done yet ).
Captain... Saugus born and raised... Just outside of Cliftondale. (Birch Street)

Great post... I'm not done growing up either!

SteveA
Old 04-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #110
jellybean

Jellybean is the name of one of my pets. I'm a year-round resident of Alton and this is a REALLY SMALL town! I really enjoy this site for the restaurant reviews and info about happenings around the area.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #111
Gavia immer

Like a lot of others, I've been "lurking" for many months and waiting for a suitable name to come up. The name "Loon" in any form was too close to the truth! When I saw that the Common Loon's scientific name was Gavia immer, and found THIS avatar, I signed up.

My trips to Winnipesaukee have started from various locations, including Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Florida, Spain, Canada, Germany, and Hawai'i. The change of seasons is positively refreshing, and nowhere else are those changes as uplifting as Lake Winnipesaukee.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #112
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Yup' I also said I'm not going to partake in this either... so here's mine

I’m Thorp and my wife, Linda (high school sweethearts) and I stay long weekends most of the year on our 38’ sailboat “Valkyrie” at WCYC in Wolfeboro. I have been boating all my life as I grew up on an island in Lake Champlain and I deliver boats up and down the NE coast for fun. I’m a commercial SCUBA diver as well as recreational diver scouring the lake bottom for artifacts. My wife, daughters and granddaughters also dive with me along with a long list of dive buddies.

Because of the demands of my home and high stress job (self-employed) in Exeter, NH I have no desires to own and maintain any more property. I use our time on boat and a weekend full of diving as the incentive to get through the week and be as productive as I can be. Actually, I have no plans to retire and move to the lake or anywhere else, I guess I’m one of the very few that actually like my job, love my house and love to spend quality time perusing my sports. My father once said to me: “Never make you hobby your profession or your vacation spot your home, because you’ll soon louse the value of them”. As I get older and watch others make these transitions and I see wisdom of his words.

A typical weekend will find us heading to Alton bay or another port of call on the lake on Friday nights for dinner and fun, come the next day we tether our kayaks behind our boat (we call them "the ducks") and sail of to a different spot on the lake and get up close and personal. There is just something about cursing effortlessly in a few inches of water checking out the sights and scenes. After I’ve endured as much of that as I can (usually not more than an hour) I’m ready to explore the bottom and see what new adventure awaits me. Most days, end with dinner BBQ on the deck and a leisurely evening/night sail back to the club… it doesn’t get any better than that.

Diving is truly high adventure; it demands your full attention and dedication, since your survival depends on your concentration, it is all consuming. Once you come back from a dive you go from a euphoric state to complete exhaustion what a rush. The average dive; 45 feet for 45 minutes in 65 degree water consumes 3000 calories and that’s the equivalent of running five miles. I don’t dive for that so called “runners high”, I dive for the treasures. Since there has been over 300 years of civilization on the lake, the first 250 years it was the dump… Haul your trash on the ice and come spring out of sight out of mind. Fast forward in time all the trash is now rendered down to some pristine artifacts just waiting to be found. And have I found the treasures… most every dive in the lake yields some sort of find. Although as I get older I have become more discriminating in what I’ll bring back to the surface. Don’t forget there is tomorrow’s diver and what satisfaction he will have when he finds that piece of history, so I leave a lot of the treasures where they are, I’ve got more than my share. However, if it’s something that I already don’t have or it’s an anchor (man… am I a sucker for a shiny anchor) or a piece of rope then I got to have it.

So, what’s in the name? When our dive group first started going on annual dive trips to Mexico 20 years ago they called us “Winnipesaukee Divers”. They looked at us as being crazy to every want to dive in that cold, dark, murky waters, where the monsters live. But you know, “there is no place like home”.

Last edited by Winnipesaukee Divers; 06-11-2007 at 06:21 AM.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #113
waterdog

Hi folks, I am a native of southern NH . I grew up spending summers in the lakes region. My Grandparents owned a mountain top property in ossipee and we would alway stop in Wolfeboro for ice cream on the docks on they up to camp.My favorite place on earth is anywhere on or near The Lake.
My name comes from my chocolate Lab "Bosco"who loves the water as much as I do. I am relatively new to boating, having purchased our first boat 2 years ago.Reading this forum has been a tremendous help to me. Thank you all for sharing your wisdom.We rented a slip in Alton Bay this year so we can't wait to get back in the water!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #114
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by REB
My wife's ashes were spread on the Lake which she loved dearly.
I think this Lake holds the ashes of many of our loved ones.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #115
WINDinmySOCKIES

This will be the beginning of our sixth year here and we found our little slice of heaven almost by accident. (I'm another Jersey Girl...south jersey)..and grew up taking camping trips to ME.) I now reside in PA. My husband and I tend to be implusive. We were on a road trip to nowhere and ended up in Vermont. He wanted to go to ME. We got into an argument because it was August, and I said ME would be crowded,(I Hate crowds) and besides, we had already hiked every damn mountain there and seen everything there was to see. We had made many trips there together. We ended up at the Mcdonalds in Tilton and I came out with a real estate book. One hour later, we were in Alton, looking at a property on Hills Pond. That was that!!
My son was younger at the time, and could not say Winnipesauke. He'd say what's that lake Mom? Wind in my what? So everytime we drive up the hill to our place and get that breathtaking view of the lake...someone yells from the car.....there it is lake "wind in my sockies". We have our own business, so I am lucky that I can get there fairly often from PA, and stay almost all summer. I could easily stay all year and as the kids get older, some day that may happen. Just like to fish for fun only, hike, kayak and just take it all in.
WINDinmySOCKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:02 AM   #116
skisox24

Default User Name Madness

The sole motivation for my screen name is to create an appelation that I can REMEMBER with all of the programs and online sites to which I am registered (a daunting task indeed). So, other than the people that I love in my life, what are the two real passions that fuel my flames? Why, skiing and Sox (Red, that is). Have been a season ticket holder for 16 years and a fan for decades longer (yes, I have seen Teddy Ballgame, albeit late in his career).

My mother-in-law actually introduced me and my wife to the lakes region when she would periodically rent a cottage for a couple of weeks in the summer (first in the Alton Bay area, and then in Moultonborough at Blackey Cove). She had been visiting the lakes region for more than forty years. My wife and I continued the tradition and finally purchased our own home in Meredith 16 years ago, and now we host our families each summer. And we use our home as a central point from which to hit the many fine ski resorts within a two hour drive.

Love the lake with its contrast in pace from our primary residence in MA. Looking forward to leaving MA sometime in the near future for permanent residence in NH.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #117
KBoater

Default Still in FL

I spend 7 months in FL and boating is my hobby hence my name. I’m still in FL getting in some last minute boating before I’m selling my boat May 4. I will get a smaller boat next October. I have several buddies that have the big ones I can go on. I did 20 lunches cruises, twice monthly parties, twice monthly boating lectures & 1 overnight this season with my cruising club. I also did once a week personal trips.
I return May 9 to Wolfeboro and my Winnie boat goes in the next week.
I’m one of the folks that got priced out of my lake front home on Wentworth. I built a new home in suburban Wolfeboro last fall. I lucked out with the mild weather. The house was basically finished at New Years and I moved 156 boxes in before I returned to FL. I haven’t stayed there yet but will May 9.
I have always lived in 2 places with NH being one of them. I have had a home in Wolfeboro since 1968 with my family. I commuted to it every weekend from the Boston area. I owned a store in Wolfeboro for 8 years. My original Wolfeboro home overlooked Wolfeboro Bay and I watched my friends go out by boat. I’ve owned 2 island houses and lived 8 years on Melody Island. When I retired I swapped Boston for Florida but still go to Wolfeboro for 5 months and Xmas for my snow fix.
I love being on the water drifting in the boards and fall foliage.
I have owned several different boats. I belong to WCYC and have had a boat there since the Club was founded. My kayak is in the garage to go somewhere
I'm a cat lover and my Avtar is Kaptain Kirk(Kirk) who replaced Katie and Ken this Jan.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #118
coronado

It is said that there is safety in numbers. Since so many other lurkers have come out, I'll give this a shot. My story is simple. My folks rented cottages around the lake for fourty years or so. The best memories of my life are centered around my summer vacations. I was just a tyke when I took a speedboat ride on a Miss Winipesaukee Chris Craft at the Weirs. Had several summertime "crushes" that broke my young heart. Worked real hard during the school season so I could bring my own little boat up the lake. Brought some Army buddies up to heaven on earth. I quess you get the picture. As for the person behind the name. I'm an ex Law Enforcement Officer who now works as a heavy equip operator for the City of Newburyport Mass. Recently I was able to purchase a mobile home in Gilford, and spend my off time floating around the lake. Coronado reflects my love of mahogany speedboats. I own a 1958 Century Coronado which is currently undergoing restoration. My brother and I have restored several speedboats over the years. our most recent project can be seenon the cover of the Century Boat Club Magazine. And it all started at the Weirs many many years ago.
coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #119
jkjoshuatree

Talking JkJoshuaTree...

My initials are JK and "The Joshua Tree" by U2 is my favorite album. I'm a bit of a U2 fanatic actually...seen them 29 times in concert, stayed at their hotel in Ireland, been to Bono's house, have over 600 U2 songs on my iPod, etc, etc.

Great thread by the way!

It's interesting to see what everyone's moniker stands for.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #120
Neanderthal Thunder

The name was suggested by my brother-in-law, who introduced me to Lake Winnipesaukee in 1995.

We visit Lake Winnipesaukee for a month or so every summer by Class B motorhome. From Lincoln, California.
Neanderthal Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #121
LakeSnake

Default Nightrider - I have two guesses

Are you a Mel Gibson fan i.e. Mad Max or I think there was a 70's vintage TV show that featued the NightRider? Let me know......
LakeSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #122
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I wasn't going to post but since I was egged on by APS, I will. My family history goes way back on Lake Winni. My great grandfather died gathering ice from the lake. My parents first owned their own lake property in 1954. So I was fortunate to have spent almost all of my life on the lake. My better half and I have been in our own house on the lake for about 25 years. So we have been lakeside for at least 3 generations. I love the lake and could never imagine being anywhere else in the world in the summer. Winter is a different story as I hate cold. But we did love to snowmobile when there was snow. I think I have done everything there is to do on the lake, except those new chair things that go up and down. What do you call them?
I remember when there were no houses on the east side of Rattlesnake. I also remember when a friend of the family bought the first lot on Cow Island across from the Barber Pole. He tented there, but before he could build was killed in a car accident. So I guess I am getting to be one of the old timers on the lake. But I still occasionally remember how much fun it was being a teenager on Lake Winnipesaukee!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #123
boat_guy64

I'm still a newbie to the lake and I am not sure that my story warrants a post. In the past couple of years, I've turned into a boating nut and so I picked boat_guy. Hate to say it, but I was born in 64. Hence, boat_guy64. I moved to New Hampshire in 1984 but never ventured to "the lake" until 2002. ( I just didn't know what I was missing) I was working really long days to finish a project and my boss at the time suggested I take some time off at his lakehouse. After an amazing week with my wife and kids on the lake, we've been hooked ever since. In 2005 we purchased our first boat and we've spent every possible weekend on the lake. We recently purchased a summer house in Meredith and we are looking for our first summer "living on the lake". I only hope that my kids and grandkids will write stories on this forum in many years that tell about how they spent their childhood's on the lake and the memories that they have of it. While I missed many years here, from a newbie standpoint, this is the best place on earth.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #124
Mark

Thumbs up about Mark

I'll let you guess why my screen name is Mark. No avatar yet. I've been reading the forum for some time. Last summer I decided to become a member.

I have been a lake Winnipesaukee addict for many years. I try to be at the lake as often as possible.

I power boat, sail, canoe and row.

Change is good according to some people. I've watched the area change every year. I still love the place but I wish the changes would slow down.

It is interesting to read all the posts in this thread. Everyone should add to it.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #125
jerseyonbear

Default Another Jerseyite

The name explains. I'm from New Jersey and I think Bear Island is the greatest place on earth. I started spending several weeks each summer with my parents back in the early 1950's on Bear when food was kept in an ice box a real one kept cold with ice. There were no flushies back then only the old house. I loved it and after having my own children brought them to the island and they now come with their children. We spend a lot of quality time together and enjoyed having great grandmom with us for a lot of years.The area has changed so much over the past 50 years but still has that magical hold. There is nothing better than the morning cup of coffee and watching the loons as the steam rises from the lake
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:22 AM   #126
jbess

Red face My Turn

jbess = A combination of my first and last name (not a great imagination I guess)

We hail from Waterbury, CT and spend much of the summer at the lake. My wifes parents have a sizeable campsite at Pinehollow Park (across from Funspot) where we have a nice fifth wheel set up with a deck and covered porch, plus the inlaws motorhome. We have been coming up to the lake for at the least 10 years now, and wouldn't vacation anywhere else. we got into boating by renting from Anchor marine and Winnesquam marine a few times and bought our first boat last year from Channel. A 2002 Glastron GX185.

First vacation is the week of Memorial day, can't wait!!!

http://www.lighthousebaptistct.org
jbess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #127
The Real BigGuy

Default What's in a name

The BigGuy part comes from the fact that I'm 6' 8", the "The real" came about when we had to register user names. By the time I did someone had taken "BigGuy."

My wife has been coming to the lake since she was a little girl, I started when I was in my late teens and my Dad found the lake for vacation rentals. After we were married we bought a boat and docked it Meredith Marina. We would come up every weekend and sleep on our 20 footer. Every summer we would rent for a week and she would keep telling me we should buy.

Finnally, in '96 she made an appointment with two realestate agents to look at island property. We were out w/John Bridges and had seen the last place he wanted to show us. At that point my wife had made up her mind that that one was "the place." John asked if we had a few more minutes because he wanted to show us one more place even thought he said we wouldn't be interested. He came around the corner nad pointed the place out from several 100 yds away. I looked at my wife and said "No, that's the place!" and we have been there ever since.

My best memory - (and you need to understand, the first year I wasn't convinced we could afford it) The first year we had it I was sitting up on the deck drinking a beer and watching the kids (then 11 & 7) jumping off the end of the dock, swimming around to the ladder, climbing back up and doing it all over again - FOR 2 HOURS W/O a STOP. I looked over at my wife and said, "You were right, this is the best thing we have ever done!"
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #128
gtxrider

Default That Knight Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSnake
Are you a Mel Gibson fan i.e. Mad Max or I think there was a 70's vintage TV show that featued the NightRider? Let me know......
The TV show was in the 80's by the and is spelled with a K. Like ka-niggit in the "Holy Grail"
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #129
jetskier

Default Knight Rider/Night Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
The TV show was in the 80's by the and is spelled with a K. Like ka-niggit in the "Holy Grail"
There was clearly the 1982 television show with David Hasselhof (Knight Rider), but that is not likely your intended association.

There was a made for TV movie in 1979 called Night Rider:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079627/

My personal favorite is the character in Mad Max. As Toecutter would say: "Remember the NightRider!"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079501/

One of our cats is named Mad Max.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #130
NHKathy

Default Anybody else??

I know theres been over 120 replies, but theres more forum members out there....
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #131
skprbob

Default here's one more

This is a really nice thread - I've mostly lurked with an occasional post, and it's a pleasure to find out a bit about others!

I grew up on Long Island (NY) and discovered Winni at the tender age of 11 when I started as a camper at the late Camp Idlewild on Cow Island. I spent 14 wonderful summers there as a camper, CIT, and counsellor until it closed in 1975 (like Wyanoke). I took up a career teaching Physics and Chemistry and coaching at various prep schools around New England but always came back to the Lake in the summer. I spent a few more summers at other camps, then ten summers as a Marine Patrol officer, finally ending up with Winni Flagship as the skipper of the Sophie C - hence the screen name - all the time as a summer house sitter for an old friend in Tuftonboro.

I finally bought my own place up here in 1994 near 19 Mile Bay. I left the classroom in 1999 and took up full time with Flagship. You might spot me in the engine room or the wheelhouse of the Mount, actually getting paid to cruise my favorite Lake!

I've been a long-time SCUBA diver, ham radio op (W1RSR), player of Scottish music, and contra dancer.

This is an incredibly diverse group and always enjoyable - occasionally exasperating - to follow. I do hope, with all of our opinions, we never lose sight of the fact that we all love the Lake!
skprbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:12 AM   #132
csuhockey3

Default She's Right!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy
I know theres been over 120 replies, but theres more forum members out there....
Hey Folks! Glad to see people enjoy this thread. There are a BUNCH of "lurkers" that have yet to contribute -- c'mon folks, chime in! We won't bite (unless your screen name happens to be "Waldo_Peppers_Lobter_Roll )!!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:14 PM   #133
Argie's Wife

My husband's nic-name was "Argie" in school and at his reunion I got referred to as "Argie's fiancee" but now I'm "Argie's Wife".

We're in Alton and love it! I love, love, love my town (hate the politics but love the town.) Hubby is from Laconia (but don't hold that against him) and I'm from Maine, but my dad's side of the family (Ellis) was all in the Lakes Region since the mid/late 1700's, so we've got strong ties here.

I've been a lurker here for many years but only became an active poster recently... love the sense of community this board affords and the history that is offered here - I've learned so much about the Lakes Region since coming here and have recommended this forum to many people!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #134
Ropetow

The name "Ropetow" is the name of our cat and the license plate on my truck. My wife and I are both longtime skiers, and a Ropetow was a type of ski lift. When we brought him home, he was curled up in a ball and looked like a pile of coiled-up rope....hence the name. We live in the seacoast region, have a slip in Alton Bay, and are considering moving there full-time....Even before retirement comes calling.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote