Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
Skip

Question Will Bike Week 2007 go bust?

Interesting article in today's Citizen where Bike Week organizer Charlie St. Clair expresses his opinion that a variety of factors may combine to keep attendance down again this year.

Full story can be read HERE!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
gillis10

If you ask me, bike week hasnt been great in 3 or 4 years. The massive amounts of police are killing it. There is not much night life left during bike week. I'm sure the economy lul isn't going to help this year either.
gillis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Mark

Exclamation Some reasons for low turnout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Interesting article in today's Citizen where Bike Week organizer Charlie St. Clair expresses his opinion that a variety of factors may combine to keep attendance down again this year.
Thank you Skip for an interesting link. The article addresses only some of the reasons bike week attendance will be down. It is not just the high gouging prices charged by many businesses from parking lots to rooms. The high police presence is indeed part of the equation. People are afraid to come to Lake Winnipesaukee. The area is overrun with high power ocean going speed boats and the type of people who own and operate them. That is what is scaring the bikers away.

The bikers and their families do not feel safe here. They have spotty cell phone coverage particularly in the Alton area. They can't call each other or for help. Too many ocean going fast boats and coping with the attitudes of the people who believe it their right to us the full power of their boats to speed around the lake. These are also contributing factors.

The Winnipesaukee speed limit proponents might be right about fear and speed boats. Even the bikers are afraid to hang out here. Less swimming, water craft rentals and fun. We restrict the Weirs boulevard road to vehicles with 4 or more wheels but we let the boaters speed and do almost anything everywhere.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
The Winnipesaukee speed limit proponents might be right about fear and speed boats. Even the bikers are afraid to hang out here. Less swimming, water craft rentals and fun. We restrict the Weirs boulevard road to vehicles with 4 or more wheels but we let the boaters speed and do almost anything everywhere.
Maybe I've been through too many Bike Weeks, but I fail to see the connection Quite a stretch IMHO.

Personally I think it has more to do with an aging "population" (of which I am one) and lousy weather combined with it being close to 10 days long.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Isn't this year the 84th year for Bike Week, so that makes 1923 the first Bike Week, and you know great big fast cigarette boats made of wood were there in 1923, too. So, badda-bing, budda-boom, budda-bing....rah-rah-rah...go-go-go...vvvvrooom-vvvrrroooom-vvvvvrooom, let's turn Bike Week into a Bike Summer and make it a three month event: cigarette boats and Bike Week.....all Summer long.

Less police and more party-time.....that's what the area wants.....yeah!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
Merrymeeting

I think you should re-read Mark's post once your two legs are of equal length again...
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
KonaChick

Yes i smell a troll about!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Mark.......LMAO.......Bikers are scared of the powerboats????
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Hey, I love Bike Week, I have a 1966 Honda 50 that I bought from the St Vincent dePaul store in Laconia, close to HK Motorsports, and I cruise around with the Harley full-dressers. Matter-of-fact, my little Honda 50 is all tricked out with a 1/2 fairing windshield, a two level seat and a big sissy bar,,,,,,just like a Harley!

What's not to like! Bike Week can not get here soon enough! Let's bike-week, all Summer long.....rock & roll!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:13 PM   #10
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
The bikers and their families do not feel safe here. They have spotty cell phone coverage particularly in the Alton area. They can't call each other or for help. Too many ocean going fast boats and coping with the attitudes of the people who believe it their right to us the full power of their boats to speed around the lake. These are also contributing factors.
:
No offense Mark , but what have you been smoking???? Do you think , for 1 minute , that bikers really care what kind of boats are on the lake. If anything ,"go fasts" , would attract their attention since most bikers appreciate a beautiful and powerful machine
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #11
Airwaves

Mark my friend,
Bikers don't care what's happening on the water. I have been coming up for Bike week since it was just a race up the Gunstock ski jump!

Why is Bike week attendance dropping off? Weather, High prices for places to stay, fewer places to stay (I have been approached by several folks I know and I will not rent on Bike week) because motels etc have been turned into condos

Bike week has become more a tourist occasion than something for bikers. Compare this Daytona or others (I can't think of the name of the big one in the midwest!)

Police presence is not a bad thing, however the old days of show me your T*^s is pretty much gone. Last summer there was a hot air/helium balloon over the Weirs...not what I would expect from a Bike week.

If we want to turn this into a family funspot, great. If we want to keep it for bikers, great. The two don't mix very well.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
sum-r breeze

Talking Formula?

Cal,
On an unrelated note, is that a 252ss Formula in your posting picture?
It looks like a boat I used to own and traded in to Irwin Marine.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be waving back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #13
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze
Cal,
On an unrelated note, is that a 252ss Formula in your posting picture?
It looks like a boat I used to own and traded in to Irwin Marine.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be waving back
sum-r ,
272 SR1
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #14
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
Hey, I love Bike Week, I have a 1966 Honda 50 that I bought from the St Vincent dePaul store in Laconia, close to HK Motorsports, and I cruise around with the Harley full-dressers. Matter-of-fact, my little Honda 50 is all tricked out with a 1/2 fairing windshield, a two level seat and a big sissy bar,,,,,,just like a Harley!

What's not to like! Bike Week can not get here soon enough! Let's bike-week, all Summer long.....rock & roll!
Nope, you can't write something like that and not post a picture of you on the bike. It's just not right.......
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
Paugus Bay Resident

ITD, be careful of what you ask for
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:56 AM   #16
Colt

Default Small price to pay.

I'm not a Biker but I enjoy taking my family to see the spectacle of bike week (during the day). There is more of a police presence and it is definitely toned down from when I went there in the early 90's as a young adult. The organizers and community have been trying to mold bike week to a more family friendly event and have done a nice job. Unfortunately it's probably come at the expense of reduced attendance. Ultimately Bike week will go on and we'll celebrate the 100th anniversary in 2023.

Mark, I have never seen such a blatant agenda on this forum. Give me a break.

Colt
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #17
onthebay

Default Doesn't anyone recognize sarcasm.

I hope everyone can see that this post was written with tongue firmly in cheek.
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:19 AM   #18
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt
Mark, I have never seen such a blatant agenda on this forum. Give me a break.
Colt
That couldn't have been serious. I'm guessing good old Mark is just pulling some tails to see if he can get a rise out of us.

Last edited by Gatto Nero; 04-13-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Gatto Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #19
Colt

Default I see it now.

Right sorry Mark. It is becomes clear in the end of your post. I'll read more carefully next time.

But I don't want to distract from the main point of the post. If the community let bike week go on unchecked I'm sure attendence would be through the roof. I for one prefer the current course..
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
dmjr

I think also something that needs to be taken into consideration about bike is if gas is up in the 3.00/gal range and the increased costs of rates at motels, etc that would also be a reason why attendence would be low as well.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #21
Merrymeeting

Take a look at Mark's post in the snowmobile fire thread. There is a humorous pattern here....
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:10 AM   #22
jrc

it's obvious that rattlesnakes and fisher cats are keeping the bikers away.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #23
This'nThat

Go bikeweek -- and yes, am afraid of those big, bad fast boats and overly large police, and wide-mouthed bass. But, am taking prescription beer to settle nerves. Hope to have cure completed by 1 June. Wish me luck.
Attached Images

This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #24
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt
The organizers and community have been trying to mold bike week to a more family friendly event and have done a nice job. Unfortunately it's probably come at the expense of reduced attendance. Ultimately Bike week will go on and we'll celebrate the 100th anniversary in 2023.

Ah, bike week. One of my favorite topics. I couldn't agree more with Colt, but careful what you wish for when the attendance drops and the city starts losing money. I also find that usually attendance drops a little before a "big" anniversary like the 75th, 80th or next years 85th.

Of course, we will continue the age old tradition of drinking ourselves silly over at the Weirs Guy homestead just as we have in years gone by. Anyone interested in celebrating "Porch Crawler Saturday" can drop me a line (before bike week as we begin the silly drinking far too soon in the week), and forget your plans for the Sunday after!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #25
Misty Blue

Default Honda 50?

Hey FLL....

You meet the nicest people on a Honda!
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #26
LadyKey

Default Bike Week

A lot of the bikers go out on the Mt. Washington boat for a cruise. So I don't think there is a problem with boats. Maybe the event is getting too long. In the general area of Weirs Beach there are not many places that you can rent. Then most of the area renters and the few hotels only rent for a 3-5 day minimum. Not to mention that they charge a lot more money during the event. Also, sometimes the weather does not cooperate. What if they put the event back to one week and had in July when the weather might be better.
LadyKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:26 PM   #27
h20racer

mark, your post about bike week and boats is a joke what does one have to do with the other, weather and the slow economy and the high prices we are forced to pay are the big factors of why bike week has slowed. NOT THE BOATS.
h20racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #28
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20racer
mark, your post about bike week and boats is a joke
Yep, and a funny one at that.

Bike week has become lame, like 42nd street in NYC, only without the Japanese tourists, just the posers. Being a dad and a "real" motorcyclist, I don't mind though. Just wish it were quieter. I really dislike loud bikes. Leave them on the trailer please...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #29
RI Swamp Yankee

Mark, was it intentional that you left out the bikers fear of milfoil in your post?

Other question, ... does your cheek hurt with your tongue in it?

Old 04-13-2007, 10:58 PM   #30
jetskier

Default Confused

I thought busts were always part of bike week
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:38 AM   #31
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Gotta hand it to Mark

Mark,

After reviewing your entire "body of work” you are way over your bag limit.

I feel duty bound to report you to the Fish and Game Department. Way too many fish in the old creel!

Mac... you have a serious challenger.... Unless Mark is really Mac... the mystery deepens!
Old 04-14-2007, 07:01 AM   #32
spinker

Yeh Mark, I noticed some of the big boats coming up Rt 93 and also at the toll boths were coming pretty close to my car really thoughtless of them. I think Ill stay home this year too. Great thinking Mark.

Larry
spinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #33
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Violation of the 150' rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinker
Yeh Mark, I noticed some of the big boats coming up Rt 93 and also at the toll boths were coming pretty close to my car really thoughtless of them. I think Ill stay home this year too. Great thinking Mark.

Larry
I hope they were at headway speed when they passed you!

Or maybe they belonged to a State Rep... and are exempt.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:23 PM   #34
aquadocton

Bike Week has become a stale. The only significant change in 20 years has been the rising cost to attend or set up a vendor booth at this event. I have no gripe with Bike Week, it’s merely a fact that people’s tastes change and so do their vacation options. If you vacationed every year in Las Vegas and it didn’t change for 20 years but the price kept going up, you would go somewhere else. Bike Week is no different and the event seems to attract more day trippers now and less week-long patrons. People come for a day or a 1/2 day just so they can tell their friends they were at Bike Week.

It costs a lot of money if you want to stay here for 7-10 days and people want value for the money they spend. You can only drink so much beer, look at so many bikes and buy so many t-shirts before it becomes monotonous. The Weirs Beach area needs to reinvent itself with some new attraction and not keep trying to squeeze every penny it can out of one dwindling 10-day event while ignoring the other 355 days of the year. Just look at the amount of bike week related property that is for sale...
aquadocton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #35
mg2107

It's tooooooo long.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #36
wires1999

Unhappy

Bike week should be moved a few weeks further into the summer. In 20 plus yrs. I've been going, it's nearly always rained most of the week & always cold. The prices are killing bike week too but the major reason is the extreme police presence and now with the road blocks they've imposed it surely isn't worth it. It's to bad, we're lucky to have had an established event but now it seems doomed to continue.
wires1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:58 PM   #37
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadocton
You can only drink so much beer,
Is that a challenge?

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:22 AM   #38
RattlesnakeHunter

Default Skippy?

Quote:

Full story can be read HERE!
Do you actually have a life?

Moped or a Scooter?

Teeth brushed or unbrushed?

Shirt stained or just yellow?

"Taste like Chicken!"

Lots of kisses Sylvester
RattlesnakeHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #39
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeHunter
Do you actually have a life?

Moped or a Scooter?

Teeth brushed or unbrushed?

Shirt stained or just yellow?

"Taste like Chicken!"

Lots of kisses Sylvester
What are you ripping Skip for?I think it's time to someone to be put in the penalty box.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #40
Skip

Smile Nothing to shed any skin over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
What are you ripping Skip for?I think it's time to someone to be put in the penalty box.
Its OK SS, methinks someone may be a little "rattled" by our unique sense of humor here!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #41
RattlesnakeHunter

Default Nooo....

Quote:
Its OK SS, methinks someone may be a little "rattled" by our unique sense of humor here!
Not one bit, in fact I can handle TONS!

If you are just poking then I have no problem, if you use the word "Ignorance" on your sign off don't contradict the point when you post!

Elvis
RattlesnakeHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:11 AM   #42
codeman671

Default Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeHunter
Not one bit, in fact I can handle TONS!

If you are just poking then I have no problem, if you use the word "Ignorance" on your sign off don't contradict the point when you post!

Elvis

Elvis, I think its about time you leave the building...
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #43
sgold44

Default Scared........

I ride a Harley, & I'm soooooooo scared of those big "Go Fast" boats. Especially the loud noise they make. Please make them go away. You're sooooooo right Mark. You're the man. Please don't give up. You have such a just cause.

By the way, are you feeling alright???

LOL
sgold44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #44
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
People are afraid to come to Lake Winnipesaukee. The area is overrun with high power ocean going speed boats and the type of people who own and operate them. That is what is scaring the bikers away.

You're kidding me, right??? Can't recall the last time I heard of a biker getting run over by a GFBL on the boulevard... I am sure the bikers are scared of a few fast boats that are hundreds of yards from shore at the Weirs under power. Very scary people to deal with, them boaters...

I am more worried about a drunken biker crossing the yellow line and hitting an oncoming car than getting hit by one of them "ocean going fast boats" ...Shall we compare the number of motorcycle deaths each year during Bike Week in NH to the number that die each year by those damn boaters????

I will venture to say that even the speed limit proponents will think your statements are foolish.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #45
Mee-n-Mac

Wink GFBL or .... Rattlesnakes

Gee, I dunno. I mean with all those GFBL boats launching themselves into cabins* I guess it could be true. But I think there's a more likely explanation. Year after year I hear about bikers suffering from these snakebites. For days they suffer headpains, are unable to speak coherently, and ride around in wavy lines (you might think they were drunk if you didn't know otherwise). I guess with as many as them as there are, they're bound to run across some snake dens in their travels. Then when the snake snake attacks the bike, well we all know what happens next. The biker throws himself in front of the snake to save the bike and gets snake bitten. At least that's what I imagine must happen. So it's fear of Rattlesnakes that's keeping the crowds down during bike week. And with all this rain flooding the dens ... well let's just say the organizers better know a good Irish Catholic priest if they want to save this year's event !

(While you might think the biker would throw "his Bi...., err, woman" in front of the snake to save the bike, we all know that she fell off some miles back. "If you can read this, .....)

*If a cabin cruiser lands on a island, is he guilty of building w/o a permit ?

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 04-17-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #46
RGA645

Default The good old days

Yes everyone wants the good old days of bike, when we could count at least three or four "accidental" deaths on the road, now only one or two bikers are buying the big one on bike week. Ah the good old days of drunken riots and gang warfare.
RGA645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #47
redc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
I am more worried about a drunken car driver crossing the yellow line and hitting an oncoming bike than getting hit by one of them "ocean going fast boats" : .
Fixed it for you
redc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #48
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by redc5
Fixed it for you
Drunken bikers that week are plentiful, but both situations are equally scary!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #49
jetskier

Default More Bike Week

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I will not be attending Bike Week this year. I am quite concerned with hitting motorcyclists with my boat. I have checked my policy and for some reason it does not cover collisions with motorcycles. I consulted the Bizner map and it does not identify motorcycles as hazards. It seems as though a mishap is unavoidable.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #50
John A. Birdsall

Default yellow lines

I have seen them bikes going up 28A in Alton and going over the yellow line, I would not say they were drunk, I don't know, But I will say that they are stupid.

Biker week is a long week, especially going thru Alton. The echo from them day and night, and the recklessness that some not all do. Why is it that with a road as wide as it is, do the bikers need to ride on the yellow line?

I suppose those big boats on the lake ride the yellow line too. or is it just the 150' imaginary line that they ride that bothers the bikers.

Be it boat, or Bike, ignorance of the laws whether on lake or land is no excuse. Now where did I put my drink.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:06 PM   #51
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
... I have checked my policy and for some reason it does not cover collisions with motorcycles....
I was concerned when I read that so I went to my local agent to ask how much for the additional coverage. Well.. I never did get an answer ... he spewed his mouthfull of coffee all across the newspaper he was reading and then started rolling around on the floor holding his side and made strange sounds with his mouth. I left to go to another agen but realized .... I don't own a boat.