Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Night boating - All around white lights.

While sitting around the fire pit at a friend's place in Alton Bay, once it got dark, there were no less than 3 boats coming down the bay with no white light showing. Two of them were faster than other boats in view and passed right buy them quickly. The other one was at the approximate speed of other boats heading in as well.

In addition we noticed several whose all around light was not visible from the front (our vantage point) until we were looking more from the side.

I carry two lights in case one goes swimming or I can't find the spare bulb.

If I am any where near sundown, I have the all around light in, and my nav lights on. May not be dark, but I think it helps improve my visibility to others.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Height of the light????

"In addition we noticed several whose all-around light was not visible from the front (our vantage point) until we were looking more from the side."

The physical height of the "Light" could be the problem. The height could vary from say 2' to 4'?

I have 23' Welcraft 232 Bowrider. I replaced the on the came with the boat as I felt it was too low. It mounted in the center of the transom. I prefer the Lake at night. One of the first thing I noticed was if you had the Bimini Top up on a cool night it block the light. I replaced it with a 4' light and that solved the problem.

I also added a second "White Light" on the back side of the transom 3" below the base of the standard light.

That improved the visibility for following boats. It also came in handy when getting off and on the boat at night. I wired it into the Nav Light circuit.

I had one other problem a night with my 232. When the Nav lights were on the "light" bounced of the bottom of the chrome Railings and right into my eyes when seated in the "Captains Chair". I needed up rapping some 1" pipe insulation on to the rail. After some comments as to why the pipe insulation on the rails, I had 2 snap covers made from the same teal canvas that covered the boat.

If you are not familiar with the 232 check it out. One of the BEST concept Bowrider ever designed.

We 232 Boaters never know when to stop talking.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
Just Sold

I also had a Wellcraft 232 and loved it. Had the same issue with the stern all around light height especially with the top up so I replaced it with a taller one
Old 07-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
winni_dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
While sitting around the fire pit at a friend's place in Alton Bay, once it got dark, there were no less than 3 boats coming down the bay with no white light showing. Two of them were faster than other boats in view and passed right buy them quickly. The other one was at the approximate speed of other boats heading in as well.

In addition we noticed several whose all around light was not visible from the front (our vantage point) until we were looking more from the side.

I carry two lights in case one goes swimming or I can't find the spare bulb.

If I am any where near sundown, I have the all around light in, and my nav lights on. May not be dark, but I think it helps improve my visibility to others.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Wonder what's worse, no all-around stern light, or red/green nav lights reversed. The weekends all mash together, but I believe it was last weekend when we couldn't help but be confused seeing a green nav light on the port side of a boat coming off plane by the no wake just out from the Moultonborough town beach (in front of Quayside/Trexlers...yes, there's a no wake there!). Fortunately, we were able to give them a heads up as they scooted by...
winni_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
I also had a Wellcraft 232 and loved it. Had the same issue with the stern all around light height especially with the top up so I replaced it with a taller one
I went out and found the tallest one they make. It solved the Visibility problem but I ended getting glair under the Bimini bouncing off the Control Panel. I found a plastic "deflector that attached under the White light.

I found a picture of the additional WHITE LIGHT I mounted on the back of the Transom. It was tied in to the NAV Light Switch not the all around WHITE LIGHT.

See Below:

Name:  White Light on Transum.png
Views: 489
Size:  37.4 KB

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 08-01-2017 at 09:20 AM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links