Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
wtibert

Default Route Question

I've been boating on Winni since last summer, so I consider myself a novice. I have a 19' Hurricane Sundeck with a 115hp OB, and I valet at Meredith Marina.

I've been around Meredith Bay, to the Weirs, Alton, Wolfboro, and Winter Harbor, and made one pass through the outskirts of the broads after Labor Day last year on the north side of Rattlesnake coming from Wolfboro, since the conditions were favorable.

My question is, I will be renting in Moultonboro in the first week of August. Whats the group's thoughts on the best route based on a novice experience and boat size?

I will bring the boat to the hosue from Meredith. I have a Bizer laminated on the boat and a paper copy I keep at home, as well as the Navionics App on my phone. I've been looking at the chart since we've booked, and I see 2 routes.

1) Heading out of Meredith, go north at Bear Island, head between Bear and Pine, and then head under the Long Island bridge from there.

2) Heading out of Meredith, go between Governor's and Eagle then go betwen the witches and Timber and head past marker 68 and make my way either around Cow or between either Cow and Little Bear, or Little Bear and Long Island.

I realize that heading into Moultonborough will be slow going and I plan on needing at least 60-90 minutes to make the trip. Other than the advice of "go slow" and be careful near the Witches, is there any advice? I'll have plenty of time to practice prior to the trip.

I look forward to any advice, almost all of you know more than I do....

Bill
wtibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
Dave R

Route #2 will likely be bumpy until you get to Sandy Island, most days.

My advice is to modify route #1 and go around the south end of Bear Island, turn north, and go between 5 Mile and 6 Mile islands on your way to the Long Island bridge. That will avoid the most wind-driven chop and two crowded choke points. Not much boat traffic on that route either.

Once past the LI bridge, Passing through the 6-Pack and Graveyard is the easiest way to get to Moultonborough Bay. If you opt not to go through the 6-Pack and Graveyard, the route around the north side of Pistol Island is much shorter and pretty interesting, but can be challenging to navigate. You will not encounter much boat traffic either way though.

Once you are in Moultoborough Bay, you will need to visit Lee's Mill and Green's Basin, just for the fun of doing it. That area is like the Anti-Meredith Bay.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
paintitredinHC (03-29-2016), radiocontester (03-25-2016), wtibert (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
jeffk

Default A further option to Dave R's plan

Instead of going through the Graveyard, go further East over between Melvin Island and Chases Island. It's wide open over there instead of tight in the Graveyard, deep, and no rocks. Even with other boat traffic, you can stay on plane. I had a house near Suissevale for 20 years and can count the times I went through the Graveyard on my fingers with no repetition. Why look for trouble?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 AM   #4
wtibert

Default Thanks for the input

Appreciated the comments. I'm not into looking for trouble, at least while driving the boat.

I do see advantages to going through some of these areas to see where they are in the real non-chart world, if for no other reason to be able to avoid them, and just exploring the lake.

I do agree that hitting a tricky unknown area would require the right conditions and traffic.

I'm enjoying the varying opinions and options. You can't have too many.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Easiest

Easiest for me means the least number of buoys to find.
Without referencing a chart, I'd go from Meredith between Eagle and Governor's Islands (NWZ), then between the Witches and Timber Island. Straight ahead is Welch Is. Keep it on your right and go to Sandy Island, keeping it also on your right. So far, this is all wide open and if you stay in the middle, you don't even need to see any buoys. ("Middle" between Timber and the Witches,. means in the middle of the channel. If you split the visual difference between TI and the Witches, you'll be in dangerous territory.)
From Sandy Is. two choices. Straight ahead is the "Hole in the Wall", Ragged Island on your right.. A NWZ but easy enough to go through. Two boats can pass, and I've even seen sailboats sail through, no motor. You can also go a little left and go around Little Bear. After either of these routes, head for Chase Point, then go around Melvin Island on the south side. As you go around that flasher you're headed for more open water and Melvin Bay. If you go north of Melvin Is. you go through the Graveyard. On the chart this looks like a straight row of buoys. It is not. In real life, there is a dog leg in the middle. After you've gone through a couple of times at headway speed, you can go through at a speed fast enough that you hold your breath all the way, just like you do when driving past a graveyard in your car. A really deep breath if there is another boat around 'cuz you're guaranteed to be less than 150' and have to slow down to headway speed.
Because there aren't a lot of buoys this way, there are plenty of segments where you'll want to use your chart and compass, just to get used to the process.

Hmm. It was a fun ride just imagining doing this point to point. Thanks for the exercise.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2016, 12:30 AM   #6
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Route #2 will likely be bumpy until you get to Sandy Island, most days.

My advice is to modify route #1 and go around the south end of Bear Island, turn north, and go between 5 Mile and 6 Mile islands on your way to the Long Island bridge. That will avoid the most wind-driven chop and two crowded choke points. Not much boat traffic on that route either.

Once past the LI bridge, Passing through the 6-Pack and Graveyard is the easiest way to get to Moultonborough Bay. If you opt not to go through the 6-Pack and Graveyard, the route around the north side of Pistol Island is much shorter and pretty interesting, but can be challenging to navigate. You will not encounter much boat traffic either way though.

Once you are in Moultoborough Bay, you will need to visit Lee's Mill and Green's Basin, just for the fun of doing it. That area is like the Anti-Meredith Bay.
I would not suggest going on the north side of Pistol. I have had a number of friends hit rocks there. If you PM before you plan on heading up to Moultonborough I will meet you if I am around and you can follow me up. I have been on the lake in Moultonborough for over 63 years.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #7
MikeF-NH

While it might be a little faster to go by Welches. I think many people who are new to the area see the area around the witches as wide open and may be tempted to take a short but there and find themselve on the rocks. Other than the Witches...and the channel between Sandy and Long Island. Its a pretty easy ride.

However, I much prefer going between Bear and Pine. There is a NWZ right there so don't break the law and keep the Bear mail dock close to your right and you are fine. There is a set of channel markers north of 5 Mile Island then its straight to the NWZ by LI Bridge. Since you haven't done the 6 Pack...just be familiar with it as it is a set of 6 channel markers a few miles east of LI Bridge. I would not venture through the Graveyard as a novice (and don't do it know though I've navigated that area for 10 years. I think going b/t Melvin Island and Chases Island is only a little longer but much less stressful. From there are you clear into MB.

Note that if you head to Lees Mills or GB...there are more challenging spots heading there so mark those on your Bizer.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #8
Newbiesaukee

I have a house on Long Island and have been boating for 12 years and still consider myself a novice. This navigational humility is the wisest option on Winni.

There are few places I go without my Bizer literally in hand. If I am not absolutely certain where I am, I come off plane. I might follow three boats through a channel but never one, he/ she may be as lost as I am. Never assume another boater knows better than you.

Finally, always assume the other boater may not know or care about the "rules."

Maybe this year I will make it to Greene's Basin. I almost made it last year.

I usually do option 2 although can be a bit more choppy.

Have fun but be prudent. I do wave in a friendly way to other boaters; sometimes I get a return wave.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
DickR

I've always taken a more direct route between the Meredith/Weirs side to the east side of Long Island. From Meredith bay, go past Eagle, but as DaveR suggests go north of Mark, around the south end of Bear, then straight across between Jolly and Little Camp, between Sandy and Long, to the north of Little Bear, and straight over to the bottom of Moultonborough Bay. Descant's suggestion to avoid the Graveyard via Chase Pt. is good. Overall, the route I described above avoids no-wake zones after Eagle Isl.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DickR For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #10
Dave M

Agree with DickR suggestion. I come from the east side of Long Is. and travel this way to Weirs/Meredith. You avoid Long Island Bridge which can be busy and a set of channel markers next to Long Is. Once I get thru the channel I'm in cruise mode until I get to Weirs.
There are a number of markers in the middle between Bear Is and Jolly Is that you have to pay attention to especially the one at the point of Bear Is. That buoy you need to go to the inside of the buoy. If going that way you need to make a wide sweep into the lane. If you cut the corner you may have some unexpected persons in your boat. I've had persons come close to hitting me due to cutting the corner. That's why I travel the other route.

Just curious, why not launch from Melvin Village/19 Mile Bay.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave M For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
wtibert

Default Easy answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Agree with DickR suggestion. I come from the east side of Long Is. and travel this way to Weirs/Meredith. You avoid Long Island Bridge which can be busy and a set of channel markers next to Long Is. Once I get thru the channel I'm in cruise mode until I get to Weirs.
There are a number of markers in the middle between Bear Is and Jolly Is that you have to pay attention to especially the one at the point of Bear Is. That buoy you need to go to the inside of the buoy. If going that way you need to make a wide sweep into the lane. If you cut the corner you may have some unexpected persons in your boat. I've had persons come close to hitting me due to cutting the corner. That's why I travel the other route.

Just curious, why not launch from Melvin Village/19 Mile Bay.

Dave M
Not launching from Melvin/19 Mile because I'm on valet at Meredith Marina. I understand the greater ease, but I'm a Mass guy who is up on the lake every weekend I can from May to October with a couple full weeks in to boot.

Got my boat at MM, and am happy with them, the service, and convenience of valet.
The Following User Says Thank You to wtibert For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-26-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #12
depasseg

This is the way I would suggest.

Here is the Google earth file:
https://drive.google.com/a/depasse.u...p=docslist_api
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to depasseg For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 04:07 AM   #13
gslpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by depasseg View Post

I agree with this route the most, except go straight through the Hole in the Wall from #12 to #16. Something cool about seeing all those rocks. Channel is deep enough right in the middle.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gslpro For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
depasseg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslpro View Post
I agree with this route the most, except go straight through the Hole in the Wall from #12 to #16. Something cool about seeing all those rocks. Channel is deep enough right in the middle.
That's a good point, and it's a cool thing to see. I just picked the other route that didn't require coming off plane. :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to depasseg For This Useful Post:
Dave R (03-29-2016), wtibert (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #15
chasedawg

Default best route

Quote:

Agreed this is the best and fastest route.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
The only reason I did not recommend that route and instead recommended the LI bridge option was because the OP is using a 19 foot cathedral hull boat and I figured it would make sense to prioritize chop avoidance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #17
depasseg

I don't think there is a difference in chop between waypoints 10&11 and between 6-mile Island and Trexlers. I travel both of those routes a lot. In fact going from 6-mile to Trexlers has you out in the open for a longer distance, because you are cutting diagonally.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 AM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
I don't think there is a difference in chop between waypoints 10&11 and between 6-mile Island and Trexlers. I travel both of those routes a lot. In fact going from 6-mile to Trexlers has you out in the open for a longer distance, because you are cutting diagonally.
That sounds reasonable. My thoughts were that the further southeast you go, the bigger the chop is due to longer fetch, on a typical day anyway. Your route is the one I'd typically take just to avoid the NWZs and choke points.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:54 AM   #19
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
Little surprised you don't recommend going through Hole in the Wall. Easy, fun and about the same time Vs going around.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #20
Orion

Default Much easier middle or route.....

Go around the east side of Cow through the Barber Pole and stay on plane the whole way. Easy navigation.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #21
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Go as fast as you can that way. If something gets in your way, turn!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Bill,

The question I have is where in Moultonborough are trying to get to....

All the suggestions are good one, but bring you all the up to Suissevale, Greens Basin etc..... With some more specifics the route could be really tailored for where you need to go.... because Moultonborough has a lot of water front.

Also what day does your rental begin / end on.... because, if you can't get in until Saturday afternoon, my suggestion would be to go get the boat early Sunday Morning, or late Sunday Afternoon, when the lake is calmer and boat traffic is at a minimum....

As with Greene's Basin Girl, I to grew up boating the northern part of the lake... And if timing is right and I am in the area, I wouldn't mind giving you hand getting your boat to your rental destination, and giving you some tips on navigating the area. ( I actually had one such season, with a neighbor's boy friend who just got into boating on the lake last summer)

There are easy ways to go around the Graveyard, which as some others have said, I tend to avoid, and go by pistol, or over by chase.... But over by pistol there is one section where markers mysteriously switch sides, and you have to remain alert or risk getting on the wrong side of one, and in a world of hurt. The switch is on purpose and correctly done, but I have towed in more then one boat from that area.

With all that said how would I go from Meredith to Moutonborough Bay....
1. go down Meredith bay, and scoot under the Govern's Island bridge, yes there is a no wake zone, but it nice to see how the other half lives...

2. Go out and around the witches (which is very well marked) and towards welch

3. Pass between Welch and timber, and Aim for the Sandy / Long Island Passage.

4. After coming out of the passage, navigate to the Hole in the wall, and then head straight out of the hole in the wall towards the Grave Yard.

5. Before reaching the gave yard veer to starboard, and head towards chase..... From here many others have detailed the way up the bay....

Yes this takes you accross the belly of the broads... but I do it all the time in a 18' bow rider... the concern is never the roughness, (unless the wind has kicked up), it about picking up the markers where I am going.

You will find that during the week on the northern part of the lake, boat traffic is almost not existent even during the heavy vacation period of July and August.
Hillcountry (07-17-2016), wtibert (07-10-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #23
wtibert

Default Gansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Bill,

All the suggestions are good one, but bring you all the up to Suissevale, Greens Basin etc..... With some more specifics the route could be really tailored for where you need to go.... because Moultonborough has a lot of water front.

Also what day does your rental begin / end on.... because, if you can't get in until Saturday afternoon, my suggestion would be to go get the boat early Sunday Morning, or late Sunday Afternoon, when the lake is calmer and boat traffic is at a minimum....

As with Greene's Basin Girl, I to grew up boating the northern part of the lake... And if timing is right and I am in the area, I wouldn't mind giving you hand getting your boat to your rental destination, and giving you some tips on navigating the area. ( I actually had one such season, with a neighbor's boy friend who just got into boating on the lake last summer)

There are easy ways to go around the Graveyard, which as some others have said, I tend to avoid, and go by pistol, or over by chase.... But over by pistol there is one section where markers mysteriously switch sides, and you have to remain alert or risk getting on the wrong side of one, and in a world of hurt. The switch is on purpose and correctly done, but I have towed in more then one boat from that area.

1. go down Meredith bay, and scoot under the Govern's Island bridge, yes there is a no wake zone, but it nice to see how the other half lives...

4. After coming out of the passage, navigate to the Hole in the wall, and then head straight out of the hole in the wall towards the Grave Yard.

5. Before reaching the gave yard veer to starboard, and head towards chase..... From here many others have detailed the way up the bay....

Yes this takes you accross the belly of the broads... but I do it all the time in a 18' bow rider... the concern is never the roughness, (unless the wind has kicked up), it about picking up the markers where I am going.

You will find that during the week on the northern part of the lake, boat traffic is almost not existent even during the heavy vacation period of July and August.
Thanks for the input. We'll be over on Castle Shore Road near Gansy Island.

I appreciate all the inputs. I would likely be bringing it up from Meredith (Depending on conditions and weather) Saturday late afternoon. I understand that traffic etc can get crazy that time. With all the options provided I think I can find a way there as long as it isn't rainy/windy/stormy. I'm not in a rush to get there quickly and wouldn't mind a 60-90 minute ride if need be.

To all- thank you for the inputs. I now have a variety of choices and options to choose from and evaluate prior to the end of July.

See you on the water.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #24
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Sounds like a northern-forum-member meetup in the making!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #25
Dave R

Quote:

But over by pistol there is one section where markers mysteriously switch sides, and you have to remain alert or risk getting on the wrong side of one, and in a world of hurt. The switch is on purpose and correctly done, but I have towed in more then one boat from that area.
The markers switch sides THREE! times on that route. It's just awful if you don't know it well. If coming from the north and headed toward the LI bridge, you keep the black-topped spar on your right as you pass FL59, the next three black topped spars will be on your left, the next three black topped spars will be on your right until you pass FL81, then the next 4 black topped spars will be on your left as you head over the top of Dow and toward LI bridge. I've boated in a huge number of places in my lifetime and that area has, by far, the most confusing aids to navigation I have ever encountered. I doubt that anyone that does not know the area, but knows the NH ATON rules perfectly, could to make it through there on the correct path without a chart.

I love taking newbies through there at speed (other than the NWZ)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-31-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 12:09 PM   #26
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtibert View Post
Thanks for the input. We'll be over on Castle Shore Road near Gansy Island.

I appreciate all the inputs. I would likely be bringing it up from Meredith (Depending on conditions and weather) Saturday late afternoon. I understand that traffic etc can get crazy that time. With all the options provided I think I can find a way there as long as it isn't rainy/windy/stormy. I'm not in a rush to get there quickly and wouldn't mind a 60-90 minute ride if need be.

To all- thank you for the inputs. I now have a variety of choices and options to choose from and evaluate prior to the end of July.

See you on the water.
That is my home port area, I would be glad to meet you and guide you in!

John
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:35 AM   #27
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Bill,

I would go between Mark and Timber. You will avoid the witches that way.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
wtibert (03-31-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 07:58 PM   #28
wtibert

Default Mission Accomplished

I wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. I made the trip today. So....

I went out of Meredith, between eagle and governors, and straight out to Mark and Timber. After passing between them I went between Jolly and L. Camp and straight across to Sandy and Long Island, through the HITW, around Melvin and on from there. Fairly easy trip leaving Meredith at 530, I arrived at our house near States Landing Beach before 645. The only real surprise was how far buoy 14 was to my port as I approached it, even looking for it. But an easy correction and a great trip.

Thanks again for all the advice, it was greatly appreciated.

This was also the first trip with the boat's name on it. "Her Idea" is now on the lake. Smile and wave if you see us.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wtibert For This Useful Post:
ITD (07-17-2016), Just Sold (07-17-2016), surfnsnow (07-16-2016), thinkxingu (07-16-2016), upthesaukee (07-16-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 11:41 AM   #29
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Good feedback

After a fairly lengthy discussion, it is always good to have feedback. Thanks for letting us know how things worked out. Have a great vacation.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote