Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
crownline_guy

Default boat trailer registration in NH

I'm trading in for a new boat and this one will have a trailer. I'm a MA resident with no "perm" address in NH but the boat stays on winni in a slip so gets registered in NH. The trailer will be in NH most of the time so where does it get regsitered? NH or MA or either?
crownline_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
salty dog

I went through the same 2 years ago. We decided to permanently keep the boat at Winni at Minge Cove Marina on the trailer. The boat is registered in NH but as we live in MA, we have to register the trailer in MA and also pay local tax on it in Beverly. Someone else may chime in but I'm not aware of another way to do it.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Do you have a residence in NH? That is the main question....

You can register something like a trailer as a non-resident... at most town halls, as long as you have a residence in that town... Now because you are registering it as a non-resident the town will ask you to sign paper-work indicating such, and also indicating that you will not pull the trailer outside of the state of New Hampshire.

I have heard that some towns don't own up to the fact that this can be done... but it can... I know people that even register cars, that they leave at their camps in New Hampshire as well....

Now if you want to register the trailer in Ma. to avoid all confusion, have a simple bill of sale written up separately for the trailer. If you have a single bill of sale, you will get taxed on the whole purchase, however if you can provide a bill of sale for just the trailer that you are registering, then you pay only the sale tax on the trailer... The tax on the boat would be collected when it is registered.... however if you never register the boat in Ma. and it is never used in Ma. they have no grounds for collect sales or use tax on the boat....
Old 05-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
GusMan

Default Mass/NH registration....

Hi All,

I've been through a similar situation and it is confusing.

In my case, I live in MA but had a house on Merrymeeting. The boat was bought at a NH dealer would only be used in NH but would spend the winters on the trailer in MA.

Legally, the boat had to be registered in NH since it spent x number of consecutive days in NH. The trailer would be registered in MA, since that's my primary residence (I'm not sure about the non-resident trailer reg in NH). The suggestion for separate bills of sale is a good one, in MA the 2 registrations are done by two different agencies in separate transactions. And yes, sales tax collection occurs at the time of registration.

However Massachusetts, being the land of taxes, expects you to pay sales tax on the boat regardless of where it is registered (or purchased for that matter). It's called the "Use" tax and applies to all purchases made for which a MA sales tax would have been collected if the purchase was made in MA.

So, that $100,000 super pontoon boat purchased by a MA resident at Irwin's Marine, launched on Winnie for its entire life, stored indoors at Irwin's for the winters is *still* subject to a Use (sales!) tax of 6.25% or $6260. Oh, and it's up to the owner to submit the forms and check (wink wink).

So sayeth Massachusetts......

Fun stuff.......

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
Hi All,

However Massachusetts, being the land of taxes, expects you to pay sales tax on the boat regardless of where it is registered (or purchased for that matter). It's called the "Use" tax and applies to all purchases made for which a MA sales tax would have been collected if the purchase was made in MA.
As Long as the boat never comes into Massachusetts and is not registered in Ma. they never get to collect the "UseTax".... One of the main reasons I decided I would never pull my boat to Ma. and hence went with the NH trailer registration as well....

I could have registered just the trailer here in Ma. and been able to pull the boat to Vt. and Maine with out issues... As long as the Boat itself is not ever in Ma. They have no authority to collect the UseTax on it.

For Ma. to legitimately collect tax on the item, it has to physically be in the state.... it is no different then if you by a second home in NH..... You can't use it in Massachusetts.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
Tired of Waiting

Default Thak the Loard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
As Long as the boat never comes into Massachusetts and is not registered in Ma. they never get to collect the "UseTax".... One of the main reasons I decided I would never pull my boat to Ma. and hence went with the NH trailer registration as well....

I could have registered just the trailer here in Ma. and been able to pull the boat to Vt. and Maine with out issues... As long as the Boat itself is not ever in Ma. They have no authority to collect the UseTax on it.

For Ma. to legitimately collect tax on the item, it has to physically be in the state.... it is no different then if you by a second home in NH..... You can't use it in Massachusetts.
Cause if Mass could make us pay a use tax it would extend to the summer house for property tax.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:01 PM   #7
Tired of Waiting

Default Here is the Use Part of the Mass Law,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
Hi All,

So, that $100,000 super pontoon boat purchased by a MA resident at Irwin's Marine, launched on Winnie for its entire life, stored indoors at Irwin's for the winters is *still* subject to a Use (sales!) tax of 6.25% or $6260. Oh, and it's up to the owner to submit the forms and check (wink wink).

So sayeth Massachusetts......

Fun stuff.......

Gusman
Copied right out of the MA law:

What is the use tax?

The Massachusetts use tax is 6.25 percent of the sales price or rental charge on tangible personal property 1 (including phone and mail order items or items purchased over the Internet) or certain telecommunications services 2 on which no sales tax, or a sales tax rate less than the 6.25 percent Massachusetts rate, was paid and which is to be used, stored or consumed in the Commonwealth. The use tax, unlike the sales tax, generally is paid directly to the Commonwealth by the purchaser.

Hope this helps and you haven't been paying MA tax you did not have to pay!!!

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
GusMan

You're right! My bad.... this was a long time ago...and I'm getting old!

I would have been subject to that tax on my boat, if I lasted long enough at Merrymeeting to have to bring my boat back for the winter!

Cheers...

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
stynx55

I am a Ma resident and have a year round house in Moultonborough. I registered my trailer in NH with no issues. The folks at town hall were very helpful.
stynx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts
Default Non resident registration

To further confuse the issue.............

If you register a vehicle in NH but your license is from another state you will get a regiistration with "Non-Resident" stamped on it. That means you cannot have that vehicle out of state overnight.

The good news is that police officers from another state do not know this law and cannot ticket you for this law because it is not their state law, so you will probably not have a problem with it.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:11 AM   #11
LSBA Joker

Thumbs down

FYI, if you go to register in Meredith, call first to see if they have trailer plates in stock. As of yesterday, they were out!
LSBA Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
hd333

Does anyone know if there is specific form used to register a boat trailer in NH?

Town Hall just gave me a list of items needed but they never mentioned a specific registration form.

I can’t find one anywhere on the web that is specific to trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,508 Times in 982 Posts

I'm under the impression that you take the info to Town Hall or DMV and they will do the registration. They have a direct link to DMV, and you have to give them a check or cash. Call your town clerk and ask--that's more reliable information.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #14
TomKat

Default Title Required

Hello guys

I went to Laconia town hall and was told I needed a title for a trailer in order to register it.

The trailer I bought was from Maine and was never registered or titled.

Do all town halls require a title?

Thanks
TomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #15
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

If you don't have a title, you only need a bill of sale. If you have the BOS, call your local PD and have them come out to do an inspection. They'll fill out a form that you bring to town hall with your bill of sale to register.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #16
hd333

Default boat trailer registration in NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKat View Post
Hello guys

I went to Laconia town hall and was told I needed a title for a trailer in order to register it.

The trailer I bought was from Maine and was never registered or titled.

Do all town halls require a title?

Thanks

I registered mine last week with only a bill of sale, no title, and no PD inspection.

It was in Moultonborough.

The trailer (and boat) is under 3000 pounds, so no title required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:23 AM   #17
Kamper

I've registered several trailers. Some with bill of sale and a couple with certificates of origin. For a 2nd hand trailer, it is a good idea to have a copy of the previous registration or a cop will have to verify the 'VIN.'
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote