Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
IslandRadio

Question Can a MA resident register a car in NH (that is in NH almost all the time)?

Hi - I cannot seem to find an answer to this question.

I am (for now) a MA resident (will be moving permanently to Mirror Lake hopefully soon - like April 2020).

Anyway, I need to get a 2nd car which will be garaged at Mirror Lake (I own a house there). Since the move is actually planned, it does not make sense to register the car in MA, and certainly does not make sense to pay MA sales tax for a car that is going to be kept in NH.

But, for this interim period of time, I *AM* a Mass resident.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I did a lot of searching on the net, and could not find a clear answer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
longislander

"In order to process transactions in the Town Clerk's Office as a resident (car registration, dog license, letter of residency for DMV or Moultonborough School System), you will need to claim residency and swear that your abode in Moultonborough is your permanent place of abode.

Listed below are the acceptable documents that you will need to provide:
One of the following:

Driver/Non Drive ID (Valid Picture ID)
Passport
Military discharge papers/ID Card
Valid School ID w/photo

IN ADDITION TO THE ABOVE DOCUMENTS WE MUST HAVE:

Property owner:

_____ Copy of utility bill such as cable, electric or fuel bill showing usage.

Renter or staying with someone:

_____ Rent Receipt or copy of lease/rental agreement or written statement from property owner."

https://www.moultonboroughnh.gov/tow...y-requirements

Registrating a vehicle in New Hampshire is a two-part process. With the exception of Mopeds, all motor vehicles must begin their registration process at the town or city clerk in the town or city in which they reside. The second part of the process is the state transaction; however, the Town/City Clerk may be a Municipal Agent of the State and may be able to complete the state transaction part of the registration process for an additional fee.

Please contact your Town/City Clerk or Tax Collector directly to find out if your town or city allows online registrations or registrations through the mail.

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...on/vehicle.htm
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:49 AM   #3
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander View Post
"In order to process transactions in the Town Clerk's Office as a resident (car registration, dog license, letter of residency for DMV or Moultonborough School System), you will need to claim residency and swear that your abode in Moultonborough is your permanent place of abode.
Hmm... what if you're a non-resident (which is my current situation)? That's the part I can't seem to find out about.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default Make the switch now

As long as you have the house and are going to make the move, can you switch your residency now? Make your MA house the secondary home. If you still work in MA, you'll have to pay their income taxes, just like other non-residents, but at least you can register your new car in NH.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
MeredithMan

Default Short Answer: No

We recently moved from MA to NH. As stated by a previous respondent, you have to register your car at your town clerk's office, which requires providing proof that you live in that town.

Since it is only a month or so till you make the move, why not simply wait till you are in Mirror Lake permanently and then buy the 2nd car?
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Much of the information posted above is incorrect and does not answer the OP's question. Yes, a non- resident may register a car in NH.

From Senate Bill 37 as amended by the NH House of Representatives.

The Department of Motor Vehicles shall register motor vehicles owned by individuals who are not residents of New Hampshire upon presentation of an affidavit by the applicant, on a form developed by the department, swearing that the vehicle is principally garaged or is regularly kept overnight in New Hampshire and that the applicant is the owner of at least one other vehicle which is registered and insured in the state of the applicant's residence.

A copy of the form the Town Clerk will have you sign is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Non Resident Registration Affidavit.pdf (522.7 KB, 1893 views)
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Flylady (03-08-2020), IslandRadio (03-08-2020), MeredithMan (03-08-2020), mhtranger (03-08-2020), The Winster (03-09-2020), Top-Water (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
Lakeboater

Default Rsa261 45

Google NH RSA 261 45
It’s pretty clear
It became law January 1, 2020

Last edited by Lakeboater; 03-08-2020 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Add
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #8
TiltonBB

There was another thread about the same subject not too long ago.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=24607
Old 03-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default new bill makes it easier

In the past a number of us claim a spouse as a resident of one state that the car resides in. The other spouse own and register the second car in NH.

I usually claim residency in the state with the cheaper insurance. You have to be careful, some states will check plates of cars that are in the state longer than 60 days and by state law you must register in that state. Happen to me once when I was consulting in Mass and renting a room for 3 months.

Back in the 80's I had a power wagon that no longer pass inspection in NH. I was able to get it registered in Florida and use it a few more years! Those were the days!
Old 03-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #10
Outdoorsman

I would suggest that you check the cost to register a vehicle in NH. I just paid $516.70 for a ONE YEAR registration for a 2019 Rav4. It will go down a little each year, but not much.

When I lived in VT, I paid 5% of the vehicle value, then ~$125.00 every TWO YEARS. When I calculated it at the time, it was about a wash overall.

I am not familiar with MA RMV fees.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #11
longislander

You're becoming a resident in a couple of weeks??

Verbiage! Older ... newer statute. TiltonB B is more on point, for someone coming and going ... and coming and going. But ... for a month ... will there be more fees and is it worth the effort?

Copied from the NH statutes:
[RSA 261:46 effective until January 1, 2020; see also RSA 261:46 set out below.]

261:46 Nonresident Registration. – Notwithstanding RSA 261:45, a nonresident who garages a vehicle exclusively in this state may register such vehicle in this state as a nonresident. No exemption from the payment of a permit fee shall be granted by reason of nonresidence except by the director, who shall in all cases require proof satisfactory to him or her of residence elsewhere, and of the liability of a nonresident owner, otherwise entitled to such exemption, to pay a property tax on the vehicle for the current year in the state of his or her residence.

[RSA 261:46 effective January 1, 2020; see also RSA 261:46 above.]

261:46 Nonresident Registration. –
Notwithstanding RSA 261:45, the department shall register motor vehicles owned by individuals who are not residents of New Hampshire upon presentation of an affidavit by the applicant, on a form developed by the department, swearing that the vehicle is principally garaged or is regularly kept overnight in New Hampshire and that the applicant is the owner of at least one other vehicle which is registered and insured in the state of the applicant's residence.

Source. 1921, 120:6. PL 100:20. RL 116:26. RSA 260:35. 1978, 40:17. 1979, 135:3. 1981, 146:1; 479:19. 2007, 53:1. 2011, 16:1, eff. June 24, 2011. 2019, 223:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2020.

The state (state form) may recognize the registration, does the town, for tax purposes?

261:45 Obligation to Register Vehicle. –
I. Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 261:44, when a nonresident has established a bona fide residency in this state, said resident shall have a maximum of 60 days from the date of his or her residency in which to register his or her vehicle or vehicles in New Hampshire.

Also,

263:35 Nonresident Who Establishes a Residency in the State. – Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 261:44 or any other law to the contrary, any nonresident driver of a motor vehicle who holds a valid driver's license in another jurisdiction, upon the establishment of a bona fide residency in this state, shall have a maximum of 60 days from the date his residency was established to obtain a driver's license issued by the state of New Hampshire.

Source. RSA 261:1-a. 1979, 135:2. 1981, 146:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1982.

https://www.moultonboroughnh.gov/tow...egister-my-car
Old 03-08-2020, 02:10 PM   #12
Newbiesaukee

You absolutely can register your car in as a nonresident in NH as we did it last year. As someone pointed out there is another thread on this. Also, my understanding is that as of 1/20 there is no longer the requirement that it never leave NH overnight.

Longislander above beat me to it and has a more detailed explanation.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #13
longislander

Should have added:

Section 261:44
261:44 Operation Without Registration; Reciprocity. – A vehicle, other than an OHRV or snowmobile, owned by a nonresident and duly registered for the current year in the state, district or country of which the owner is a resident may be driven upon the ways of this state without registration under this chapter to the extent, as to period of driving and otherwise, that the state, district or country of registration grants similar privileges for the operation of such vehicles owned by residents of this state and registered under its laws. The director for the purposes of this section shall determine the nature and extent of the privileges for the driving of vehicles granted by other states, districts or countries to residents of this state and his determination shall be final.

Source. 1911, 133:3. 1913, 81:2. 1917, 229:3. 1921, 119:3. 1923, 76:1. 1925, 85:1. PL 100:26. 1939, 190:3. 1941, 99:1. RL 116:35. 1945, 45:1. RSA 260:39. 1981, 146:1. 2006, 90:11, eff. July 1, 2006 at 12:01 a.m.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:01 PM   #14
MeredithMan

Default Well whaddya know...

...Now I feel like a dope for posting an incorrect answer so emphatically.

Thank you for educating me. I suppose something like that has to be in effect for all of the snowbirds who spend part of the year here and part of the year in a warmer climate and keep a car in both places.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #15
phoenix

so the short answer is a non resident can register a car in NH if you have a Nh residence . We have for the last 15 years. Permanent residence is a different issue and would include registering to vote etc. I do think the state changed the rules regarding leaving the state over night
Old 03-09-2020, 11:19 AM   #16
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Buy NH

Buy the car in NH. Get 20 day registration from the dealer. Rest easy. April is only about 20 days away. Add the new car to your existing insurance, but stipulate Mirror Lake garaging so you get the NH rate for that car and the multi-car discount.
The next registration will be due in the birth month of the first named owner. Some people like to alternate first named so registration, inspection, etc is all staggered.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So, yes you can register the car in NH, to your residence at mirror lake.... But you will have to sign a waiver stating you will not operate said vehicle outside of New Hampshire. I have done this with Boat trailers many times.

But that is only the NH part of the story. If you end up taking that car into Ma. NH will waive the waiver you signed when Ma. gets angry at them, and you will have no where to hide. Massachusetts will then come after you for the sales tax, excise tax, registration etc. and also charge you with driving an unregistered vehicle.

Lots of people got caught in this scenario, back in the 80s.... and NH had to create the wavier for people to sign to keep them out of the middle. The major issue, comes down to the sales Tax, that you are trying to get around having to pay.... And to the Commonwealth of Mass. that is the only thing they see when and if they catch you.

My advice, is to wait to by the car if you can... or look into changing your permanent residence to NH which should be fairly straight forward.... If you know your moving in April or May......
Old 03-09-2020, 01:29 PM   #18
coolyourjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
Hi - I cannot seem to find an answer to this question.

I am (for now) a MA resident (will be moving permanently to Mirror Lake hopefully soon - like April 2020).

Anyway, I need to get a 2nd car which will be garaged at Mirror Lake (I own a house there). Since the move is actually planned, it does not make sense to register the car in MA, and certainly does not make sense to pay MA sales tax for a car that is going to be kept in NH.

But, for this interim period of time, I *AM* a Mass resident.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I did a lot of searching on the net, and could not find a clear answer.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
I live in MA and have a house in NH. As of last year, I was able to register a car in NH as long as the car was being garaged in NH 100% of the time, which my car was. I heard that these regulations may have been relaxed to be that the car must be garaged in NH "most" of the time but I'm not sure. According to the town where my house is, I can operate the vehicle anywhere I want but it's not supposed to be "garaged" anywhere but NH.
coolyourjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #19
The Real BigGuy

I believe that MA still offers a bounty for cars registered in other states but “garages” in MA. If memory serves you can get boinked if the car is overnighted at a location in MA for more than 5 consecutive days.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #20
beantownbaby

I am officially a NJ resident and we own a place on Winni which we use off and on. The car there is registered inNH as a non resident in owner. NH plates.
beantownbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #21
camp guy

Default Car registration

This question comes up regularly, and lots of people have answers, mostly correct, but in different forms. The safest way to get information is to go to the Town Clerk of the Town you are moving to and present the situation. I am sure you will get the exact answer you need, and you can get a dump sticker while you are there!!

Also, if moving here, you will probably need to get a NH Drivers License, and you might as well get the REAL ID license. You may need to go to the DMV for details, or the details might be on line.

Good luck with the move.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:49 PM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
This question comes up regularly, and lots of people have answers, mostly correct, but in different forms. The safest way to get information is to go to the Town Clerk of the Town you are moving to and present the situation. I am sure you will get the exact answer you need, and you can get a dump sticker while you are there!!

Also, if moving here, you will probably need to get a NH Drivers License, and you might as well get the REAL ID license. You may need to go to the DMV for details, or the details might be on line.

Good luck with the move.
You are right, this comes up frequently. But do you remember one reply in a previous thread quoted a town clerk that was not correct? You absolutely can register a car in NH as a non resident.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (03-11-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 05:58 PM   #23
TheTimeTraveler

Be VERY careful in what you do as you do NOT want the insurance company to deny a claim (should you have one) because of where your car is registered.

If you get in a bad accident where there is personal injury or property damage the insurance company will surely investigate the legality of your registration before paying out any claims. We all know that insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay a claim....

My advice; Be sure whatever you do is legal and won't present problems or issues for you down the line......

Best of luck!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:57 PM   #24
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Be VERY careful in what you do as you do NOT want the insurance company to deny a claim (should you have one) because of where your car is registered.

If you get in a bad accident where there is personal injury or property damage the insurance company will surely investigate the legality of your registration before paying out any claims. We all know that insurance companies will use any excuse not to pay a claim....

My advice; Be sure whatever you do is legal and won't present problems or issues for you down the line......

Best of luck!
I am a nonresident registered in NH. It is important that your insurance is NH. For example, I am FL resident and the car I use to go back and forth and use in FL has FL insurance. However, for NH I have to have NH insurance. Not a problem but the FL insurance will NOT cover the NH registered car.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #25
Music Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I am a nonresident registered in NH. It is important that your insurance is NH. For example, I am FL resident and the car I use to go back and forth and use in FL has FL insurance. However, for NH I have to have NH insurance. Not a problem but the FL insurance will NOT cover the NH registered car.
Car insurance is not mandatory in NH. But it's still good to have it, since otherwise you're on the hook for up to $50,000 for liability and $25,000 for property damage.

So, if your insurance can't cover NH for some reason, get a national brand or a NH local insurance company.
Music Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #26
IslandRadio

Insurance: I will definitely get insurance !!! Crazy not to have it if you have any assets.

Thanks for all of the advise so far ! I have a "Real ID" now from MA, and will certainly get the same in NH.

Hopefully the sale of my house here in MA goes through, otherwise I can't afford to move.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:05 AM   #27
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

It sounds like you don't yet have the second car? If not, just wait until you've moved or, as someone above mentioned, 20 days before.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #28
map

Just a note...If you have a passport you do not need a real id license.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #29
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
Car insurance is not mandatory in NH. But it's still good to have it, since otherwise you're on the hook for up to $50,000 for liability and $25,000 for property damage.

So, if your insurance can't cover NH for some reason, get a national brand or a NH local insurance company.
Insurance has to come out of the state the car is registered in (garaged in). With that being said personal auto insurance in the USA covers you for the continental states (usually including HI and Alaska) and Canada as well. It will not cover you in Mexico
Old 03-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #30
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
Yes, absolutely..... but I always have my license with me, but don't usually carry a passport (one more thing to lose!)
The Following User Says Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #31
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by map View Post
True.....but.

While you can air travel using your passport, by using a RealID driver's license, you can air travel and get your rental vehicle with just the one form of ID. Also, if you are a military veteran and presented your DD214 when getting your RealID, you have proof of service to obtain a veteran's discount.

There is rational either way for getting, or not getting, a RealID.

Dave
Old 03-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #32
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
True.....but.

While you can air travel using your passport, by using a RealID driver's license, you can air travel and get your rental vehicle with just the one form of ID. Also, if you are a military veteran and presented your DD214 when getting your RealID, you have proof of service to obtain a veteran's discount.

There is rational either way for getting, or not getting, a RealID.

Dave
RealID only applies to domestic air travel, though, right?

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #33
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

correct, and to get into Federal buildings and State buildings
Old 03-10-2020, 03:16 PM   #34
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

You are correct, domestic only. Like Island Radio said, not needing passport = 1 less thing to lose.

Dave
Old 03-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #35
Woody38

Renewed my drivers license and asked about the Real ID. They said that the Real ID was the only one being issued.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #36
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Renewed my drivers license and asked about the Real ID. They said that the Real ID was the only one being issued.
We just applied for our regular licenses a few weeks ago in NH- not Real ID. We were issued temps and now just waiting for the permanent ones to come in the mail.

Last edited by map; 03-11-2020 at 10:26 AM.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:21 AM   #37
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
10/01/2020 you will need a real idea to board a domestic flight in USA or a valid Passport.

Come 2021 or 1/1/2022 everyone in MA will be required to get a real id as a license. Technically if your license expired after this date you will be required to get a new one

here is the link with the Info from the MA registry itself

https://www.mass.gov/guides/massachu...d-requirements
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #38
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Global Entry

I use my"Global Entry" card instead of Passport or Real ID. That gets me through the TSA fast lane too. Last time I renewed my NH ID I filled out paperwork for a RealID, but I was missing one piece of paper so I just got regular renewal. They said I could come back, but I had to wait 2.5 hours the first time, so I said "no thanks". Not worth it since I already had the Global Entry ID.
BTW, you don't need any ID to enter the NH Capitol or Legislative Office Building, or go through a metal detector. Why bother? They know who's carrying. Wouldn't it be typical gov't if you needed an ID to go to the DMV office? I love that you can walk into the Governor's office, but to get past the lobby at DES, you need ID, an appointment and an escort. The receptionist is behind a glass wall and you slide your ID through a slot. Still no metal detector last time I was there.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #39
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
So, yes you can register the car in NH, to your residence at mirror lake.... But you will have to sign a waiver stating you will not operate said vehicle outside of New Hampshire. I have done this with Boat trailers many times.
That is no longer correct. Please read the earlier posts on this thread.