Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Prop Swap

How many folks have props they would like to sell or would like to buy used props? Also how many would like to swap props to try a different pitch?

I have visited a number of marinas, most have used props on consignment or on sale that are sitting in stock for years. I am looking for a 19" 4 blade.

If there is enough demand for used props, I would to set up a 'clearing house' of used props that can be available on line.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by BroadHopper; 05-22-2017 at 06:17 AM.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Why many folks have props they would like to sell or would like to buy used props? Also how many would like to swap props to try a different pitch?

I have visited a number of marinas, most have used props on consignment or on sale that are sitting in stock for years. I am looking for a 19" 4 blade.

If there is enough demand for used props, I would to set up a 'clearing house' of used props that can be available on line.

Any thoughts?
I have a used prop that I bought off E-bay. It's in great shape but it was the wrong prop for my 4.3 Mercruiser. I think it's for a smaller HP Mercruiser. The guy scammed me. It came in the box with the right prop that I needed but it was a different prop than was on the box. I bought it as a spare but when I needed it I put it on and my boat would barely move like I had a slipping transmission. From now on I'm buying new in an unopened box.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
Top-Water

Quote:

Any thoughts?
At first glance it sounds like a good idea. It might save you a lot of time searching if you had a place to look before driving or calling around trying to find something especially if you needed it quick.

Would this just be something local to the lakes region, or are you planning something a little bigger.

As mentioned at first glance it sounds like a good idea, but like anything else the devil will be in the details.

Years ago I was looking for a matched pair of (left and right) 30 inch Cleavers for mercury 2.4 efi's, couldn't find them anywhere locally. Closest I was able to find were 32's and were just a bit to big on pitch and could not spin them.

In the old days of the water ski races, trading and lending props was pretty common and a great way to try something different. However it was among a small group of competitors that all pretty much knew and trusted each other. Not sure how things would work nowadays, again the details.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
DBreskin

Quote:
How many folks have props they would like to sell or would like to buy used props? Also how many would like to swap props to try a different pitch?
I have a 19x14.5 3-blade stainless steel propeller I'm willing to loan or sell. It fits OMC Cobra or Mercruiser Alpha 1.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote