Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #1
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 3,046
Thanks: 1,011
Thanked 920 Times in 600 Posts
Default Boardwalk Grill-Weirs Beach

Passed through Weirs today and noticed their sign said “closed “. No other message odd for that location to be closed Labor Day weekend. They usually close for the season after this weekend.

Maybe another forced to closed due to service labor shortages? Hope it’s a short term issue/ temporary issue for them.
The food is pretty good and the did a lot of improvements in the spring.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
baygo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 575
Thanks: 133
Thanked 428 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Another challenge has emerged for the small mom and pop. A friend of mine has a seven-year established restaurant and recently was informed by Cisco, the conglomerate vendor that one of the other conglomerates they serve has demanded they drop mom and pops or they would be dropped. My friends is now struggling to find supplies for his restaurant because he didn’t have the local connections.

Just to clarify, I do not know if this is the case with the boardwalk grill
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #3
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 3,046
Thanks: 1,011
Thanked 920 Times in 600 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Another challenge has emerged for the small mom and pop. A friend of mine has a seven-year established restaurant and recently was informed by Cisco, the conglomerate vendor that one of the other conglomerates they serve has demanded they drop mom and pops or they would be dropped. My friends is now struggling to find supplies for his restaurant because he didn’t have the local connections.

Just to clarify, I do not know if this is the case with the boardwalk grill
Understood. Thanks Baygo. I am familiar with Sysco way back when they were know as Global Sysco in the early 90s I was an owner in a competing Ice cream distribution company in New York. They were a ruthless unscrupulous competitor.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:02 AM   #4
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,483
Thanks: 588
Thanked 1,137 Times in 778 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Another challenge has emerged for the small mom and pop. A friend of mine has a seven-year established restaurant and recently was informed by Cisco, the conglomerate vendor that one of the other conglomerates they serve has demanded they drop mom and pops or they would be dropped. My friends is now struggling to find supplies for his restaurant because he didn’t have the local connections.

Just to clarify, I do not know if this is the case with the boardwalk grill
What????? Why?????Are they trying to kill all the mom and pops in the country?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 06:11 AM   #5
baygo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 575
Thanks: 133
Thanked 428 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Sysco is acting on the demands of the larger account. Folks in the boardroom of the large chain restaurants want every customer on Earth. They can’t compete when it comes to quality of experience so dirty pool it is.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (09-13-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2021, 07:19 AM   #6
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 3,046
Thanks: 1,011
Thanked 920 Times in 600 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Sysco is acting on the demands of the larger account. Folks in the boardroom of the large chain restaurants want every customer on Earth. They can’t compete when it comes to quality of experience so dirty pool it is.
We tried to get ice cream into large NY chains like king kullen, food town, waldbaums ect snd they did the same to use. We carried all the name brands Haagen Daz, Eskimo, popsicle, Ben & Jerry’s, breyers etc. the food business in general is a dirty pool.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #7
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 195
Thanks: 2
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
What????? Why?????Are they trying to kill all the mom and pops in the country?
I have a couple friends that own sub/pizza shops and were talking to them back in June/July and they were running into the same issue. Not sure who their distributors were, but they were told that there weren't enough drivers to supply everyone so the "smaller" accounts were only going to be delivered to 1x/month or not at all.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:59 AM   #8
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,483
Thanks: 588
Thanked 1,137 Times in 778 Posts
Default

Isn't that sad though, that this country has such a shortage of goods, workers and drivers that vendors have to decide who to serve. I do understand there is a shortage of product and drivers- there has been a shortage of drivers for some time- and wondered when this would happen. I guess the big boys have to make their big customers happy but isn't it sad. I am so so sad for this country.

Did I mention how sad it is?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #9
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,588
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 244
Thanked 794 Times in 566 Posts
Default

There must be some unknown reason why a restaurant like Boardwalk Grill cannot go to the nearby Hannaford instead of using Sysco?

So, what's the difference between the two?
__________________
.... age-70 & suffering terrible chronic tinnitus ... omg!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:55 AM   #10
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 3,046
Thanks: 1,011
Thanked 920 Times in 600 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
There must be some unknown reason why a restaurant like Boardwalk Grill cannot go to the nearby Hannaford instead of using Sysco?

So, what's the difference between the two?
Pricing!!! Supermarkets have huge markups. Boardwalks food prices would have to be way above market.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #11
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,588
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 244
Thanked 794 Times in 566 Posts
Default

http://www.quora.com/What-do-restaur...y-store-prices ..... What do restaurants pay for food relative to normal grocery store prices?

Am trying to think of something intelligent to say here about the difference between restaurant food delivered by a large Sysco truck as opposed to the restaurant buying their restaurant food at the local super market. There's got to be a lot more to this than a supposedly lower price which is probably not the true real reason.
__________________
.... age-70 & suffering terrible chronic tinnitus ... omg!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:13 AM   #12
baygo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 575
Thanks: 133
Thanked 428 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
http://www.quora.com/What-do-restaur...y-store-prices ..... What do restaurants pay for food relative to normal grocery store prices?

Am trying to think of something intelligent to say here about the difference between restaurant food delivered by a large Sysco truck as opposed to the restaurant buying their restaurant food at the local super market. There's got to be a lot more to this than a supposedly lower price which is probably not the true real reason.
Price is certainly major motivator to use a purveyor. It is not uncommon for a major purveyor to make one stop and drop off supplies for a restaurant and then the next stop is at a grocery store. If a grocery store marks it up 20%, that as a significant influence on the restaurant. Restaurant food cost should have her somewhere around 27%. Therefore a $5 piece of meat should sell for somewhere around $18.50. A $6 piece of meet (20% more) should sell for $22.25. That is a significant difference in the mind of a consumer.

This “no help” day and age, the more costly impact would be time required to go pick from the grocery store shelf.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #13
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 412
Thanks: 0
Thanked 83 Times in 74 Posts
Default

The supermarket doesn't include delivery on a refrigerated truck.
So you have additional labor and costs beyond the product.

Certain customers can push the cost of service up, slimming the margin, and shifting costs to other customers. Because of that wholesalers tend toward tier pricing in some instances, and narrowing their customer base in others.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:04 AM   #14
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,153
Thanks: 137
Thanked 397 Times in 258 Posts
Default

Back to the Boardwalk Cafe for a moment, last time I was there I spoke the the bartenders and they told me they are owned and operated by a family that supports food services to fairs and carnivals. If help is limited, this is the season for such events


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #15
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 3,046
Thanks: 1,011
Thanked 920 Times in 600 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Back to the Boardwalk Cafe for a moment, last time I was there I spoke the the bartenders and they told me they are owned and operated by a family that supports food services to fairs and carnivals. If help is limited, this is the season for such events


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


From there Facebook page. Guess I should have went their first!. Labor labor labor!!

Name:  IMG_8952.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  97.5 KB


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
GTO (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #16
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 1,109
Thanks: 51
Thanked 172 Times in 119 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo
A friend of mine has a seven-year established restaurant and recently was informed by Cisco, the conglomerate vendor that one of the other conglomerates they serve has demanded they drop mom and pops or they would be dropped.
This sounds illegal, as in "restraint of trade," but then I'm no expert.
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:58 AM   #17
dpg
Senior Member
 
dpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,528
Thanks: 145
Thanked 228 Times in 165 Posts
Default

I agree about the "illegal" comment (no, not a lawyer!) Seems these small business owners should either call a tv station and try to have their issue aired or perhaps maybe even local congress people. We (consumers) could also control and stop this but we don't. If a huge majority of patrons just stopped visiting these chains and tell them why this practice would stop real quickly. We (all) as consumers just keep complaining about different policies when in fact we could control and stop things.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #18
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 612
Thanks: 189
Thanked 189 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I agree about the "illegal" comment (no, not a lawyer!) Seems these small business owners should either call a tv station and try to have their issue aired or perhaps maybe even local congress people. We (consumers) could also control and stop this but we don't. If a huge majority of patrons just stopped visiting these chains and tell them why this practice would stop real quickly. We (all) as consumers just keep complaining about different policies when in fact we could control and stop things.

True, however this opens up the opportunity for another vendor to step up to the plate and take over these smaller accounts. It's obvious to me that Cisco (Sysco) doesn't give a rats rear end as to what happens with the smaller accounts. If they did then they wouldn't treat the little guy so poorly.

I think that is what competition is all about......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #19
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,549
Thanks: 830
Thanked 667 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
This sounds illegal, as in "restraint of trade," but then I'm no expert.
No expertise here either--but I was also thinking this is an antitrust violation.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.78880 seconds