Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
sky's

Default computer question

hello im still using Windows 7 because im comfortable with this however, i cant seem to load or attach pictures from Google Photos when trying to upload a picture or attach a picture into an email or lets say Ebay is another example. i can do it from my phone but sitting in my office is much more comfortable. any ideas????
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
hello im still using Windows 7 because im comfortable with this however, i cant seem to load or attach pictures from Google Photos when trying to upload a picture or attach a picture into an email or lets say Ebay is another example. i can do it from my phone but sitting in my office is much more comfortable. any ideas????
To get the most control on your PC:
In Google Photos click on a photo and then top right select more options and then download to your PC. Then you upload or attach the photo however you want.

Another Google Photos option is the share the photo. Select a photo and then select the share icon top left. You can then select or type an email address. Select share and it is gone, not really the same as attaching to an email along with text.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
sky's (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #3
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
Not sure if you are aware, Microsoft is discontinuing Windows 7 support on January 14.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-11-2019), sky's (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
sky's

Thanks

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Windows 7 to Windows 10

Those who still have Windows 7 can get Windows 10 without purchase. Google it and you will find it. Uncomfortable about the conversion? PM me if you want help.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #6
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Those who still have Windows 7 can get Windows 10 without purchase. Google it and you will find it. Uncomfortable about the conversion? PM me if you want help.
Awesome thank you

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2019, 05:27 AM   #7
jeffk

Quote:
Before jumping in to that conversion, make sure the computer has the hardware horsepower (memory, disk space, CPU) to handle Windows 10. Hardware also has a shelf life. Some old components just may not provide complete modern functionality even if the software is new. You might cram Windows 10 onto your old platform and have expensive or unfixable hardware issues down the road. Windows 10 will actually check capabilities on your old system and, I believe, will not install on a substandard system. However, it could still install and not work quite right on some hardware.

Economical new laptops sell at Best Buy for $200 - $400, desktops for a bit more. However, even more powerful systems are pretty affordable these days.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to 8.1 to 10 but I had a high end laptop with cutting edge functionality and excess of capacity. Even so, I upgraded to a solid state hard drive for better performance.

I'm just encouraging not to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Good Luck!
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #8
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Before jumping in to that conversion, make sure the computer has the hardware horsepower (memory, disk space, CPU) to handle Windows 10. Hardware also has a shelf life. Some old components just may not provide complete modern functionality even if the software is new. You might cram Windows 10 onto your old platform and have expensive or unfixable hardware issues down the road. Windows 10 will actually check capabilities on your old system and, I believe, will not install on a substandard system. However, it could still install and not work quite right on some hardware.

Economical new laptops sell at Best Buy for $200 - $400, desktops for a bit more. However, even more powerful systems are pretty affordable these days.

I'm not saying it can't be done. I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to 8.1 to 10 but I had a high end laptop with cutting edge functionality and excess of capacity. Even so, I upgraded to a solid state hard drive for better performance.

I'm just encouraging not to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Good Luck!
Good advice.

When 10 came out I tried the then free upgrade from 7 to 10 on an older Dell laptop. The upgrade failed and turned the dell into a paperweight. I replaced it with a Toshiba Satellite with built-in 10. My current desktop is an older HP running 7. I plan to replace it with a new desktop running 10.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I agree with Jeff. However I updated old systems from 7 to 10 and notice an improvement in performance. But not always the case.
Old systems with XP and earlier are not a good candidate. Although I did upgrade a couple with good results. (High end systems).
Always make sure you have the latest drivers from the device manufacturers before the upgrade. Saves a lot of headache. Upgrading the drivers from the computer suppliers are based on the current os and not the devices.

Some third party software may not transfer properly. I practice jotting down all the software installed, delete them before the update and reinstall. This provide a lot cleaner install.

Windows 10 defender is right up there in quality with paid antivirus software, I see no need to download another one.

Same as the disk cleaner. The built in cleaner does a pretty good job.

The only utility software you may need is a registry cleaner. I choose Wise Registry Cleaner.

Yes, computers are a lot cheaper these days. Normally computer manufacturers will auction off overstock on their websites, eBay and Amazon. You have to search often. My present laptop is a Dell XPS with 15" display I picked up at an auction for $300. Normally goes for a grand!

There are GUI interface software out there to make W10 feel like W7. But never tried them.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #10
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
To get the most control on your PC:
In Google Photos click on a photo and then top right select more options and then download to your PC. Then you upload or attach the photo however you want.

Another Google Photos option is the share the photo. Select a photo and then select the share icon top left. You can then select or type an email address. Select share and it is gone, not really the same as attaching to an email along with text.
thanks for your reply i downloaded the photos however when i go to attach a photo for example im trying to sell a car on ebay so were it says attach a photo, i click on that button however were will i find the photo? in that past i could find it in pictures but i dont have that option??
Old 11-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
DickR

Quote:
Some third party software may not transfer properly. I practice jotting down all the software installed, delete them before the update and reinstall. This provide a lot cleaner install.
There are GUI interface software out there to make W10 feel like W7. But never tried them.
I finally gave in last winter and replaced a 1G RAM XP desktop with an 8G RAM Win 10 one. I had a Fortran compiler on the old PC, but I knew that some old installation CDs built back in the days of XP won't install on newer versions of Windows. I copied the entire directory structure of the installation from the old PC to a flash drive, then directly onto the new PC. It runs correctly, and I was happy about that, but this might not be the case with all applications simply copied over.

One thing I absolutely did not like with Win 8.1 and 10 is the clumsy desktop, with those awkward large rectangles instead of the old familiar icons. Sure, the large "medium" sized icons can be changed to "small," but you lose the titles, without which so many icons are useless. I downloaded and installed the free "Classic Shell," my desktop looks the way it did before, and the Start button brings up the familiar menu list.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #12
The Real BigGuy

I run W10 on an older (5+ years) that was top of the line. I used the free upgrade from W7 to 10 and it has been fairly smooth, except for problems w/some of the updates. A couple of things:

I believe you can still get a program (app) from the Microsoft site that will run through your existing software programs and hardware and tell you what is compatible w/10.

You don’t need a shell program to retain the essential look and functionality of your w7 or w8 desktop. Updates to 10 provide the capability to have the same icons on your desktop as before.

It may take a while but even though menus/names have changed you become used to it. If you have trouble finding things, typing the name into the desktop search box will take you right to what you need.

However, if you can afford it get a new machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
The Real BigGuy

Try looking in your “downloads” folder for your pictures from the google photos app.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:12 PM   #14
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Try looking in your “downloads” folder for your pictures from the google photos app.

Yes that is where it will land If you want you can “right click” on it and select “cut” and navigate to photos and right click to paste to move it to photos.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #15
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Brian Krebs newsletter/System 7/other stuff

I liked Sys7 but had to move to 8. Classic Shell is a winner for me that's the only reason I can stand Sys8.

That said, this guy Brian Krebs writes a seriously good free newsletter (Krebs On Security) but it's concise w/o rambling. It reminds me each month to do the Microsoft patches and I learn alot from both him in each issue and from the posted replies from readers to what he writes.

The link below for his latest newsletter has some content this week about Sys7.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/11/...-2019-edition/
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (11-14-2019)