Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
8gv

Default No down riggers?

I will soon own a boat that will provide adequate comfort for me to try spring fishing on Winni.

Is there a chance that I can catch a salmon or trout without the use of a down rigger?

If so, how so?

Thanks!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I will soon own a boat that will provide adequate comfort for me to try spring fishing on Winni.

Is there a chance that I can catch a salmon or trout without the use of a down rigger?

If so, how so?

Thanks!
Absolutely! Use a rod and reel set up with lead core line. Early in the spring the salmon are going to be on top or within 10' of the surface, same with rainbows. Heck, you could just drag a spinning rod or fly rod right on top of the water with a streamer fly and hook up!

If I were you I would go Visit AJ's bait and tackle in Meredith and he can set you up with everything you need very inexpensively.

Good luck!

Dan
Hillcountry (03-19-2020), Striper295 (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
WINNI BOB

Quote:

If so, how so?

Thanks!
Hi;
I've been fishing the big lake for over 55 years, and, although the salmon fishing isn't as good as 10 years ago, you've still got a decent shot at a salmon. Sun-up till 8:00 am is your best time. Shiners, smelt, and various lures and flies, slowly drifted or trolled (1 to 1.5 mph)will do best. Use 4lb test with a the tiniest swivel possible, with a 6 foot to 8 ft fluorocarbon leader(4lb test) with a #6-8 hook(tiny). Hook the smelt or small shiner through both lips, and drift....let the bait swim, naturally. A good distance from the boat (200-300ft). The season starts April 1st, and the good top-water fishing lasts till the water temps get over 60 degrees. Twi-light til dark, is also, a good time to fish for salmon and lakers.

If you're a novice, and you want a personal lesson on my tri-toon, which is docked near the Weirs channel, I have been known to take people out to get them familiar with the territory and the tactics...call me

Winni Bob @ 617-678-1018
WINNI BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNI BOB For This Useful Post:
Pat McPherson (04-01-2023)
Old 03-19-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
8gv

Thank you both for the tips and the offer to join Bob.

In the past I have fished swampy places for warm water species with 4# line and have lost enough lures to move to 6# for casting and 8# for trolling.

I will have to recalibrate my hook setting power with 4# line!

The new boat has a 115hp Yamaha which may not be able to idle slowly enough so drifting will my plan.

Its arrival is set for the last week in April so I hope that's not too late for the dumber fish.

Smarter fish seem to get the best of me.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
WINNI BOB

8gv

Try tying a 5 gal bucket off your stern... that will slow you down. Attached one of my nice Rainbows

Winni Bob
Attached Images

WINNI BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
8gv

I used to own a drogue but after letting it sit twenty five years unused I gave it away.

Do the fish bite better with a Lowes or a Home Depot bucket?
Old 03-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #7
Hillcountry

Quote:
I used to own a drogue but after letting it sit twenty five years unused I gave it away.

Do the fish bite better with a Lowes or a Home Depot bucket?
I bought a sea anchor at Bass Pro I like that it folds and stows better than a bucket...nothing wrong with a bucket though! Don’t forget to drill holes in it to let some water pass through. I find I have to use the anchor almost all the time because I troll with my 150 Yamaha...the 4 stroke motor does quite well at idle but I found that to get a specific, consistent speed, the sea anchor must be used.
I attach my anchor from the front cleat and it rides amidship on my side so I can monitor its position. Also it doesn’t get in the way of landing a fish (if used from a rear cleat.)
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote