Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
tummyman

Default D-Day....June 6, 1944

Today marks the 73rd anniversary of the allied invasion in Normandy, France, where over 160,000 allied troops landed and fought. To those who made the ultimate sacrifice. may they rest in eternal peace. We shall never forget their valor and bravery as they fought to bring freedom to many. God bless our troops !
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
The Real BigGuy

Visited the American cemetery in Normandy last fall. Does something to your heart & head to see almost 10,000 white crosses lined up. We then visited the German cemetery that has over 21000 graves but not as visually impressive as the markers are all dark ground level stones. I found it very difficult to keep my composure at both sites. Such bravery, such waste of youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Barney Bear

Default D-Day Remembered

On D-Day morning, we stayed next to our radio to follow reports of the invasion of Europe. We knew that our father was in England, ready to "go".
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
sum-r breeze

They are/were the greatest generation and so many of them have passed away. They saved the world from two of the most evil forces that man had ever known. RIP all the heros who made the world safe for us for all these years since.

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
bigdog

Giving many thanks to all those who gave their lives on D-Day.

I visited the Arlington National Cemetery, and it was truly a moving experience !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
MeredithMan

Default No Surprise....

Backstory: The day after Pearl Harbor, my father and his younger brother both went and enlisted in the navy. My father was 21 and my uncle was 19. They both served in the South Pacific for the next 4 years through the end of the war and fortunately, both returned home and lived into their late 80's.

My son is finishing his Junior year in HS...one of the top public high schools here in MA. When he came home today a short time ago, I asked him if there was any mention of D-Day in school today...any moment of silence? "No", he replied. I asked him if his history teacher mentioned it, despite the fact that the history class he is taking is not about WWII. "No", he replied. "Dad, they don't care about that stuff in school...", he said. "Why am I not surprised?", I said.

As he sat at the kitchen counter eating his Doritos and slurping a diet coke, his face turned serious. "I miss Gramps", said my son.

I do too, Dan. Every day.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
The Real BigGuy

Sad! In sure that it's the same at most schools across the country. Makes me think that a visit to Arlington, Gettysburg, or Normandy should be mandatory for high schools. The younger generation needs to understand that war isn't movie fiction or a video game. War truly is hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

I asked my daughter the same question. She is a sophomore but taking AP World at a catholic HS in NY. Her teacher did take 15 minutes out of there normal schedule preparing for their final exam to discuss D-Day. MY daughter loves studying about WWII
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
ApS

Post USS Normandy Sailor Presumed Lost: Search Called Off

• On this day in history, the Allies link up to begin the push to Berlin.

• An announcement of yesterday's sailor-overboard loss from the USS Normandy (CG 60) reminded me of our services' sacrifices during practice and in training accidents. Another sailor-overboard loss this week was also announced.

• The June invasion of Normandy was preceded by April exercises on a British beach. One, named Exercise Tiger resulted in a tragic disaster:

Quote:
The exercise that killed nearly 1,000 American servicemen was considered by US top brass to be such a disaster that they ordered a complete information blackout.

The Allied commanders were concerned officers who went missing during the attack could have ended up in German hands, where they might reveal the Allied intentions for the D-Day landings.

The commanders even considered changing details of the operation.
• Amazing that this particular exercise was classified "Top-Secret"—among 3000 British civilians, and thousands of Allied troops that it took 40 years for the truth to come out. (!)

Contrast that fact with today's singular misuse of classified documents.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote