Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
birchhaven

Default Swim platform size

I am looking to build a swim platform for a winter project. I am wondering if there dimensional restrictions? I am not looking to build anything huge but is always good to know so I don't break any rules.
Thanks
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
sluggo

from what I understand the largest raft you can put in the water is 14 ft. x 14 ft. Normally the standard size is 8 ft. x 8 ft. but if you plan to install a slide or a diving board you will need to make the raft at least a 12 x 12 to do that type of application. The wooden rafts are great but a bear to get in and out of the water because of the weight especially if they are a large raft. The norm today is the aluminum framed rafts with a removable decking but if you plan to build it your self you must be talking a wood application. remember it has to have reflectors on all four sides and it is smart to put a marker on the raft with your name , address and phone number. If the raft breaks away marine patrol will retrieve the raft and after two weeks they auction them off. There is no permitting for the rafts but common sense is needed when placing the raft in the correct place on your property. 20 ft. in from both abutter lines, no more than 150 ft. out and also not to create a navigational hazard in any boat lanes. Hope this has been helpful........
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
codeman671

Our raft was an 8x10', aluminum framed with cedar decking. It was still heavy as hell to move. Be mindful of that when building. We lifted ours out every fall and kept it on the dock or just above in the yard. It was always a miserable task to do this, between the weight and slime factor. Usually a 3-4 person job to do it, we have done it with 2 but it was a tough time. This year I had ISS remove and install it, money well spent.

Spend the money for stainless chain and shackles, and plenty of weight for your block. Not sure where you are on the lake or what type of water you are in (depth, exposure, etc). I would think 500lbs min if you are out in the open. If not, 250lbs may be fine. We went with a concrete disc shaped block from Watermark. I think ours was a 250lb and it worked fine.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote