Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-24-2010, 06:20 AM   #1
CL 240 LS

Default Diy oil change

Hope someone can help.

I want to do an oil and filter change on my Mercruiser 350Mag with a remote, inverted oil filter. Will the oil drain back into the engine from the filter or will it flow out as it is removed?

Has anyone experienced this? TIA
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
NoRegrets

It is designed to drain back into the engine but there will be some oil that will spill. You can absorb it eaisly with a paper towel. I punch a hole in the high point on the filter, I drain the engine oil, then remove the filter last. If you really want to have a clean job you can create a large enough hole in the filter to suction out the oil before removing it. It is designed to drain into the engine but I find not all of it drains.

Enjoy the project.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default plastic bag

I take a plastic grocery bag and place the oil filter in it and screw the filiter off into the bag. Works great! BTW. Loosen the filter first before unscrewing it by hand with the grocery bag.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #4
robmac

I agree with Noregrets,you will get a small amount of spillage even with a vent hole. You will be able to catch it quickly as stated with a couple of sheets of paper towel or shop towels. Not a big job but nice to see more boaters making sure thier bilges stay contaminate free.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
CL 240 LS

Thanks for the tips, I will do it this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default one more thing

Don't forget to run the engine till it gets to normal operating temp.
This puts less wear & tear on the pump and will also allow for more oil to run out of the filter after you punch the hole in it.
This past spring I didn't have a drop of oil come out of the filter but I also left it sitting for 1/2 hour while I ran down to pick up outdrive oil.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:20 AM   #7
CL 240 LS

Thanks, I was told to heat the oil up real good by a mechanic at the marina.
I have a oil drain hose that is permanently attached to the oil pan drain that is pulled through the garboard drain. He said the hose is pretty small and is does not flow quickly. I will find out soon.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default go buy the oil pump

You will find out really quick that that drain hose does not work; it dribbles at best and will be doing so for several hours before you get the system drained. That is why none of the marinas use it.
I tried it on by Baja this spring just for the heck of it and soon realized why I was told by the marina years ago not to bother.
The money you save on one oil change will cover the cost of the oil pump used by most marinas. Cost me about $100 back in 04 or 05 might be more now. Runs off your battery and has a switch that allows you to remove the oil from your engine then reverse the switch and pump it out of the bucket and into your own waste barrel.
Another thing to consider, many of the marine manufacturers have changed to much smaller oil filters. If you have room for it consider installing the larges filter you can find.
The bigger the filtration surface the better your oil flow. Mercury changed the filter on my 496 to about half its original size. I now run the filter used on a 500HP instead.
Good luck with your oil change. I’d be curious to know just how long it takes to drain the system using the tube.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
CL 240 LS (09-30-2010)
Old 09-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
CL 240 LS

Thanks for the info Belmont, I was told this too. I will get a pump from one of my neighbors. Sounded too easy!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
NoRegrets

I just changed my 2 engines this past weekend. I have a pump that sends a thin suction tube down the oil dip stick tube and sucks the oil off the bottom of the oil pan. I like this setup since I know I get all the oil out of the engine. After I took off the oil filter(s) I sucked the oil out of the oil cirulation tubes as well. My engines take 9 quarts (Mercury 8.1's) and I used 9 quarts to fill them up. I am satisfied that the pump with the tube cleans out the engine and any bottom sludge very well. I have a friend who has a similar pump but it only attaches to the top of the dip stick tube. I am not sure if it gets everything out. It takes about 35 minutes of pump time to drain each engine. Installing the oil filter(s), ading the oil, measuring, changing the fuel filters, disposing of the oil, retrieving the cap from under the engine after dropping it, and the final cleanup takes around 3 hours total. The satisfaction of knowing the job is done is well worth the investment.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
CL 240 LS

Default Which OIL PUMP ?

Thanks for all the help!

I changed the oil using the hose attached to the drain plug on the oil pan. It seemed to drain OK but slow. The filter came off and leaked a bit but towels caught it all. I would like to drain it by removing the drain plug but there is no way to get under the engine with a drain pan.

What do you recommend for a pump? I had one that you chucked into a drill with the tube down the dipstick tube that worked OK. I felt the the tube would curl up in the pan if inserted too far. My dipstick tube has threads for a fitting but I have no idea what would connect to it.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
NoBozo

Default Jabsco Electric Drill Pump

This is the pump I've been using to change the oil in my Mercruiser 350. I use a variable speed electric drill to drive it. It drops a tube into the dipstick tube. Takes maybe 5-10 minutes to pump out 5 quarts. I got my pump at West Marine years ago. NB

http://us.binnacle.com/p2204/ITT-JAB...duct_info.html

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ing+Drill+Pump

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10440

Last edited by NoBozo; 10-13-2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: add vendor
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
CL 240 LS

Thanks for the links, No Bozo.
That pump looks familiar, I had one 4 boats ago. Wonder who I let borrow it?
Old 10-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
robmac

I got mine from West Marine,it was about 25 bucks. Hooks to my dipstick tube with a garden hose type connection then to the battery. It emties the contents from the crankcase in about 20 seconds. I've used it about a hundred times ( I had a marine repair shop in FL ) and still works like new.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote