Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Baja Guy

Question Do you unplug your trailer when you dunk it?

I bought my current boat about 4 years ago. Before that I had bought my family's boat when my dad got tired of keeping it up and became more of a sailor.
When I was water testing my boat back in 09 I noticed the seller disconnected the trailer plug before he submerged the trailer. I thought that's a pretty good idea, and have done it ever since, except once.
Do you think I am being too a _ _ _ retentive? Am I being proactive?. Or would you say it's not necessary?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
gf2020

I don't do it and it is not necessary.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #3
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Can depend on the age of the trailer?

Some older trailers were not supplied with sealed lights and the direction specified not to submerge the trailer with the lights on. I would just for the heck of it check the owners manual.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
jrc

My Dad always unplugged the trailer lights before dunking. He felt hot bulbs and cold water were a bad idea. If I trailered today, I would get those fancy LED lights, no heat.

My Mom always said the three biggest causes of divorce among boaters had to be trailering, anchoring and docking. I keep my boat in a slip, and have a windlass, so all I have to do now is learn how to dock.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Guy View Post
I bought my current boat about 4 years ago. Before that I had bought my family's boat when my dad got tired of keeping it up and became more of a sailor.
When I was water testing my boat back in 09 I noticed the seller disconnected the trailer plug before he submerged the trailer. I thought that's a pretty good idea, and have done it ever since, except once.
Do you think I am being too a _ _ _ retentive? Am I being proactive?. Or would you say it's not necessary?
If you have hydraulic brakes you probbaly should NOT unplug your lights. When backing up the signal from the reverse lights prevents the trailer brakes from engaging.
I can hardly move my trailer backwards if the plug is not in...
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
If you have hydraulic brakes you probbaly should NOT unplug your lights. When backing up the signal from the reverse lights prevents the trailer brakes from engaging.
I can hardly move my trailer backwards if the plug is not in...
Most trailers with hydraulic brakes have an over ride for this purpose.......mine is a little lever I have to move up so that the coupler can't slide back... The other option is to get the trailer into position, and once it is going down hill down the ramp, pull the plug, and gravity will keep the brakes from engaging.

Now as for leaving you lights plugged in....the bottom line is this:

DO WHAT MAKES YOU COMFORTABLE!!!!!!

I personally unplug my lights... not because I have too, but because for years that what my family always did. I know my boat trailer has sealed lights, and so does my jetski trailer. But it is simple enough to just pull the plug, and it is part of the ramp procedure for me.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
My Dad always unplugged the trailer lights before dunking. He felt hot bulbs and cold water were a bad idea. If I trailered today, I would get those fancy LED lights, no heat.

My Mom always said the three biggest causes of divorce among boaters had to be trailering, anchoring and docking. I keep my boat in a slip, and have a windlass, so all I have to do now is learn how to dock.
You could always ask at docking time, if your wife would like to try and do better?!?!?!?!?:laug h:
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Rangervx

personally i don't think it's necessary esp. since you more than likely have LED lights...also...agree with a few above in regards to brakes...i prob would rec., if you asked me specifically, not to remove plug
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
PC31

I always unplug the lights. Hot bulb cold water and if there is any hint of a short it could blow the fuse.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
chipj29

Almost always. It seems that when I forget, I blow a bulb. Coincedence?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
AC2717

never thought of it to be honest, but i think it is a good idea on trailers that use bulbs instead of LED
i have a small crack in one of my jetski trailers lens, if water got in there and i hit the brake it would blow the bulb or fuze

thanks for the food for thought, I do agree though that led or sealed lights there should be no need
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Disk brakes

I have disk brakes. Instead of the 4 prong plug I have the 5 prong. The fifth is connected to the backup light. The braking mechanism uses this prong to allow the trailer to operate in reverse, otherwise the brakes will lock up.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Free entertainment.

The best places to be for great entertainment are at the launch ramps. Comedy galore and oh the drama when couples argue over how a boat should be launch!

I'm sure a boat launch have turned into a divorce.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Rangervx

agree with B-Hopper on both
Old 06-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
MJM

Yes, I always unplug prior to dunking. I undo the straps, make sure the plug is in, etc., and unplug the lights.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
Cal

No I don't. Can't backup with disc brakes with no backup lights. Plus I have all LED lighting
Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Almost always. It seems that when I forget, I blow a bulb. Coincedence?
Same here. I plan on replacing the lights at some point with led's but until then i can count on blowing a bulb if i forget.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The best places to be for great entertainment are at the launch ramps. Comedy galore and oh the drama when couples argue over how a boat should be launch!

Definitely true. When pulling our pontoon last night at Glendale to put it on a brand new trailer we spent a bit of time (with nobody waiting) to get it seated just right for its voyage to Michigan. A marine patrol officer came over to ask if we were having issues and if we forgot to put the plug in..

He didn't realize that the plugs always stay in pontoons unless there is an issue.

Back to the thread, I never bother to unplug. Most of our trailers are larger and need power for backing up as others have mentioned.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
Rangervx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

10-4 B-Hopper...and to save time and fuel...there is always youtube!!!!!! i have actually launched my boat and forgot to put the plug in...but that didn't equate to comedy at the ramp...i still looked good doing it...trouble wasen't until later when no-one could see my blunder!!!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
Wolfeboro_Baja

Both of the boats we've owned have had surge brakes on the trailer so no power is needed to release the brakes. Both trailers have bulbs and even though they both claimed to be waterproof, I've always pulled the plug before backing down the ramp. An ounce of prevention and all that stuff.....

As for spousal comedy at the ramp, we try not to provide any! We've got our launch/retrieval procedures down to a science. Launching or retrieving, she's on the boat and I'm on the ground, moving our stuff between the boat and truck, AWAY from the ramp. Since we launch at WAM, I drive the truck, she handles the lines on the boat, pulling it off the trailer or pulling it on. When retrieving, I'm in the water winching it up. Piece of cake!