Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
lawn psycho

Default Awesome Canvas Mold Cleaner!

Last fall I pulled my forward and cockpit canvas out of the boat locker and had a lot of mold. I tried to use my pressure washer but the pressure needed to clean the mold out was causing damage to the threads and almost drilling holes in the canvas.

In January I had my canvas sewn up and the pole areas reinforced. They showed me a product called IOSSO Mold & Mildew Stain Remover. I finally got around to using it in prep for getting the boat ready and WOW did it work!

I soaked the canvas in a large tub with the IOSSO cleaner for about 3 hours and then threw them in the washing machine (one at a time...).

I've attached the before and after.
Attached Images

lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lawn psycho For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (04-17-2011), jeffatsquam (04-17-2011)
Old 04-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
RLW

Looks great, but the best part is I like where you tried to power washer your initials on the fabric or were you trying to write a note to someone?

Last edited by RLW; 04-18-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: additions
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
lawn psycho

LOL. Had I thought about it at the time I would have put swear words in the canvas. I even bought a different tip set to try and get it to work. It either did nothing to the mold or tore up the canvas. It's a 3000 lb pressure washer and no matter what I did it was either too much or too little pressue.

This stuff is the real deal. This weekend I breakout the pump sprayer and will be putting on a nice layer of 303 canvas water repellent. Two more weeks before the tarps come off the boat!
Old 05-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Winni-Retired

Default Question

I have tried to clean the mooring cover last fall and again yesterday, really no change in appearance other than I am wet and it's still dirty / stained

Where can I buy the IOSSO cleaner locally vs ordering it on-line
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
lawn psycho

I got mine from the same place that did my canvas work. Nilsen Canvas in Portland, Maine. Long haul from the lake....

I've never seen it carried in stores like West Marine or boating supply stores which is suprising given how good it works. I told the store manager about it over in Portland so who knows if they'll start carrying it.

Best bet is to just order online.

Hints:
Mix at full strength and soak - more dirt/mold = more soak time.
Make sure you use enough water and cleanerto allow the whole canvas to be submerged. Don't dilute it.
I have a 22 ft boat with forward and cockpit covers and used two tubs so you can use that as a gauge.
After cleaning I also used a pump sprayer and used the 303 Canvas Water Repellent. My canvas sheds water like a duck now.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

They sell that on Boaters world . com

I had some. Worked great Was told about it by the guy that made my boats enclosure. The little container didn't last too long and the big container is around $75.
I have also used a cleaner called Krud cutter. It is for getting mold off decks but worked pretty good on the canvas. I just rinsed it off real good.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote