Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
chachee52

Default July 4th observation

I was happy to finally make it back to the lake and get the boat working again this weekend.
It was certainly a busy weekend on the water and for the most part people behaving, and even old school waving at each other as we pass.
Couple observation I noticed this weekend though
1) went out to Melvin Village to do a "boat picnic" that my 3 year old requested. On the way back I decided to go through the Grave Yard, no one was around when I entered. I usually just go around it, but figured why now. Got about half way through and about 6-8 boat started coming through toward Melvin Village. So I powered down, as I should have. The first boat powered down slightly, the others not so much. Needless to say, my boat got a little swamped. I have a 24" Maxxum, not a small boat!! So looks like the 150' rule does not apply to that area? Never really understood why that area isn't a no wake zone being so narrow and shallow?
2) last night after the Flight Craft fire works sitting on my porch on LSP watching all the boats come down the Broads. There were a lot of boats that seemed to go over to the Weirs to enjoy the festivities! I commented to my wife how many boats seemed to have some kind of light malfunction. Either NO white light, or a couple with no green light (the way they were coming down the lake I can't really see the red light). Or my favorite, the people that use there docking lights the entire time. Some of which were pointed more up and were very bright.

Just some observations, not complaining. All and all, was a fun and safe day out on the lake. Hope everyone else had a fun and safe day! Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I love that your three year old wanted to go for a boat picnic. I hope s/he continues to grow up with that spirit. When my kids were that age, up to about 10, we used to do boat breakfast. Cereal and a banana at about 5:30 am, drifting in the Broads to watch the sunrise. Now, THAT's quality time.

Graveyard, etc. OK, you properly slowed down and apparently the others did not. Their bad, but no reason to make it a NWZ. When there aret two boats passing, it is automatically a NWZ. It has been apparent to me for several decades that 150' has long been a lot different north of Chase's Point than south. As you say, just an observation.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
garysanfran

Default Water skiing through Weirs Channel...

I think it was last year.

I also know someone who skied through Sally's Gut many years ago.

The Lake looked crazy yesterday.
garysanfran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I think it was last year.

I also know someone who skied through Sally's Gut many years ago.

Hmmm. Never gone through Sally's Gut at speed. Hard to make that sharp bend with a full length 75' ski line.
Always impressed by the video of 4 abreast snowmobiles skimming the Weirs Channel.
How about folks from the other side of the lake? Anybody ski from Back Bay to Wolfeboro Bay under Main St.?
Old 07-05-2020, 08:07 PM   #5
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Hmmm. Never gone through Sally's Gut at speed. Hard to make that sharp bend with a full length 75' ski line.
Always impressed by the video of 4 abreast snowmobiles skimming the Weirs Channel.
How about folks from the other side of the lake? Anybody ski from Back Bay to Wolfeboro Bay under Main St.?
Not sure how a skier would be able to do that without his/her head being chopped off by the low clearance bridge. Matter of fact, most boats won't fit under that bridge.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #6
rhubarbpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
It was bananas. We just have an ancient 20’ Sea Ray so didn’t leave the island, but did hop in the kayaks and watched the madness while hugging the shoreline. The wakes were so big a 24’ bow rider that was anchored would almost disappear from view in the trough.

It was a bit quieter today so we ventured over to Glendale late afternoon. No less than 5 times during the trip over we ended up having to yield when we were clearly the stand-on, or take evasive maneuvers to avoid boats who either weren’t paying attention or had no clue about who had right of way (or just didn’t care).
rhubarbpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #7
Barney Bear

Default Improbable

The east entrance to Sally's Gut is very narrow and shallow. I can't imagine how anyone could water ski there.

There is no bridge at Sally's Gut. ��
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #8
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
The east entrance to Sally's Gut is very narrow and shallow. I can't imagine how anyone could water ski there.

There is no bridge at Sally's Gut. ��
It does seem impossible to make this tight turn towing a skier on a rope:

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-19-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #9
Descant

Default Back Bay bridge sit down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Not sure how a skier would be able to do that without his/her head being chopped off by the low clearance bridge. Matter of fact, most boats won't fit under that bridge.
When I was an active skier, and more limber than I am now, I could sit on my skis, hands down by my ankles. The clearance is close but probably easy especially at low water. The question might be the boat. Certainly one with no windshield. A Donzi Sweet Sixteen would qualify.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #10
MeredithMan

Default Lotta Day Trippers, I believe...

...pure speculation on my part, but I believe this year due to Big 'Rona, there are way more "day trippers" than in years' past. We went by the Meredith boat ramp about 8AM Saturday morning, and I think we counted 8-10 boats waiting to launch....the line was just about to Town Docks restaurant. Perhaps that is normal for an early Sat morning, as I don't think I've been by the ramp at that time on a summer Saturday, but it seemed like a lot for that early in the AM.

We also see a lot more people anchoring and swimming for hours at a time in our cove, as opposed to years' past. Lastly, waaaayyy more amateurs out on the lake doing stupid things so far this year....
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
Barney Bear

Default Slow Sunday

While Saturday, the boat activity in our area [East Bear Island] was as busy as we have seen in several years, on Sunday, while a beautiful 80 degree day, relatively few boats passed by. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Anyone see the fly over of Braun Bay?🤯

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #13
breathe easy

Default Lots of traffic today

Our 3rd year on Winnipesaukee as boaters and we rarely go out on the lake on weekends, but we did today. I can now appreciate how much nicer it is midweek. Crazy crowded all the way from 20-mile bay to Lee's Mills. The launch at Lees Mills was loaded with trailers almost to the Loon Center on both sides of the road when we got back in. Overall though with just a few exceptions, most out there were courteous and following the rules, although a large flock of geese took their sweet time swimming across our bow in a no wake zone.
breathe easy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to breathe easy For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #14
ApS

Wink Liquid Courage...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
It does seem impossible to make this tight turn towing a skier on a rope:
Hold muh beer!

ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #15