Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #1
mowtorman

Default Don't drink the water

Life is for learning. For the first time in 55 years I picked up a microorganism and an ear infection after spending the day swimming at public beaches on the same day on the northern end of the lake. To think that in the 60s houses ran pipes from the basements to about 40 feet out in the lake for a water source. There are natural springs near Cooks Pt. where you can watch the water blowing the sand up at about 12 feet deep. That's not enough to keep up with what's being put into the lake at this point. It's all about the feces and urine from humans and animals. You may think that I'm full of feces that's fine aren't we all? Haters will hate and I'm not hugging trees I like nature and powersports. The organism I picked up comes from cysts in feces (duck, geese, mink, dog, human) which remain viable in lake water for over 50 days. Common infection in dogs and cats.
All anyone has to do is wipe their mouth or swallow some water and you can intake the cysts. Phosphorus and Nitrogen are in urine and feces. When one person takes that innocent pee in the middle of the lake it matters. When 500 people take that innocent pee in Braun Bay it matters. When people squat in the channel to pee all day (I've seen it) it matters. Cyanobacteria which is toxic and associated with ALS (see Mascoma Lake DHMC) is in Kanasatka this summer. Once introduced it thrives on Nitrogen and Phosphorus. Kanasatka is 9' above Winnipesaukee so where do you think it is headed? If you have good flow, low population and low animal populations you are obviously better off. Point is the lake is taking a pounding and without the opportunity to flush over the winter it wouldn't be much better than Lilly Pond. Learned my lesson the hard way the lake is far from pristine even in a Covid year. More interesting reading google Long Lake in Maine I don' think we're there yet.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-25-2020), ApS (08-25-2020), Biggd (08-24-2020), BroadHopper (08-25-2020), welch100 (09-14-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
FlyingScot

Bummer. Thanks for sharing. Please let us know exactly where you were
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
ApS

Unhappy And They Call It a "Swim Platform"...

Saturday, directly in front of my place, a visiting boater relieved herself hanging onto the transom of their boat. (With apparent understanding of others aboard).

Then on Sunday, two male visitors (in mixed company) relieved themselves simultaneously off the swim platform.

Same spot...

And we see ads for boats, "Includes never-used porta-potty".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
mowtorman

Default Relief

Now that's a bummer. I was between Meredith and Melvin Village what happened occurred in the lake it was not the fault of a municipality.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
Hillcountry

Sorry to hear of your illnesses...I know Braun Bay has been the topic of discussion about all the urine that must be expelled by waders and partiers but I wonder what “channel” you’re speaking of where they “squat all day?”
That just strikes me funny...sorry!
Hillcountry is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #6
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Anyone that thinks all that pee in Braun Bay is not a problem, think of your septic system before you jump in.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #7
Pineedles

If this isn’t one of the best trolling posts I ever seen, then I haven’t seen enough in my many years on this forum.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-25-2020), ishoot308 (08-24-2020), Reilly (08-27-2020), Shreddy (09-16-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #8
mowtorman

Default Channel

I think of Weirs Channel as the channel. Also I should have said Google Long Lake Maine poop.
The Following User Says Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post:
DotRat (08-24-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 08:03 AM   #9
mswlogo

You can measure it.

BTW this video also talks about that characteristic smell of a chlorinated pool. Well that smell isn’t the chlorine, It’s the reaction between chlorine and pee is what you’re smelling.

Also a lot of lake homes still use the lake as their water source.

https://youtu.be/S32y9aYEzzo
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:31 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Arrow ...... 1931: ain't no pee here, no more!

Here's a relevant and interesting New Hampshire historical factoid about removing the pee from Lake Winnipissaukee.

In the year 1931, the NH state legislature passed a law that called for Lake Winnipissaukee, as it was commonly called, to be officially recognized and named by all as Lake Winnipesaukee, in an effort to remove the derogatory pee from the name, Winnipissaukee.

Hence forth and forever after, going forward from the year 1931, Lake Winnipissaukee has been known as Lake Winnipesaukee ........ here, here, here ..... and a big thank-you to all the long gone state reps and senators who passed that there NH law ....... a-way back then in 1931 ...... a-yuh! .....
Old 08-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
mowtorman

Default Names

Prior to that it was Lake Winnipisseogee maybe it's time to petition to change it back.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #12
Grant

Yeah -- with all the construction around the lake, the introduction of Canada geese, and increase in population, the water quality has def taken a hit. Cyanobacteria (also called "blue-green algae") is the scary stuff. When we were staying on Lee's Pond during September about six years ago, there was a "bloom" and people were told to avoid swimming and to keep their dogs out. There is also a link to ALS. The rash of closures due to fecal coliform is really distressing.

Our old place had lake-supplied water for over 70 years, and it was only in the last few years that we opted for bottled water for drinking. I literally grew up drinking lake water for over a month each year.

Still kickin'!!!
ApS (09-04-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 08:50 AM   #13
ApS

Default Diluted, Urine Promotes Algae Growth...

Turning to science for the definitive answer:

Urine is good for growing algae, including algae blooms that can kill...

https://resource.wur.nl/en/show/Alga...e-on-urine.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
mowtorman (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #14
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Turning to science for the definitive answer:

Urine is good for growing algae, including algae blooms that can kill...

https://resource.wur.nl/en/show/Alga...e-on-urine.htm
Great -- so pee could be a contributing factor to the annual "Lake Snot" blooms. I wonder if they are more prevalent in Braun area.

I'm not going diving there to investigate!
mowtorman (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
Sue Doe-Nym

This discussion is so distressing....it’s so much easier to breeze over what’s happening to our beautiful, sparkling lakes.... if only everyone would take care to preserve what we have....in this case, had. I’m no tree hugger, but I try to do my part not to pollute. I am sorry for the distress OP has had with the infections.
LMOLGA! *
* Let’s Make Our Lakes Great Again!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
mowtorman (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 09:33 AM   #16
dickiej

....also, a big contributing factor is the use of fertilizer to keep the lawns green around the McMansions right on the lake...just that much more phosphorous getting into the lake and promoting the algae growth. Seriously, it is incredibly irresponsible to have a lawn near the lake.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:39 AM   #17
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Lies, lies, and more lies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
....also, a big contributing factor is the use of fertilizer to keep the lawns green around the McMansions right on the lake...just that much more phosphorous getting into the lake and promoting the algae growth. Seriously, it is incredibly irresponsible to have a lawn near the lake.
You are so correct, and all you get from the landscapers is that what they’re using does not pollute the lake, which is pure, unadulterated baloney!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #18
Merrymeeting

Not to mention all the fish poop being dumped into the Merrymeeting River, which then dumps into Alton Bay.
http://www.newhampshirelakesandmount...s-forward.html

There are cyanobacteria blooms in the river every year.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #19
tbonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
You are so correct, and all you get from the landscapers is that what they’re using does not pollute the lake, which is pure, unadulterated baloney!
Do you have specific examples or is this just a blind broad brush baseless statement?
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #20
XCR-700

Exclamation And,,,

Sorry I think I missed something here, the point.

So are we all just going boating and no more swimming, but still need to wear masks and goggles and nose & ear plugs to protect against over the bow spray to make sure it doesnt get into our bodies?

Or are some of you saying you are leaving the lake and never going to urinate or worse in it again and everyone else should also, so that it will be clean for no one to use.

Happy to be a reasonable part of a reasonable solution, but I seem to have missed it.

Help me see where we are going.

Were we better off when leaded gas and 2 - cycle oil regularly got spilled into the lake and probably killed of a lot of bacteria? Never saw that coming,,,

Nope, sure I am still missing something.

Oh ya, like what is the fix.

Seriously, what is the fix?
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (09-03-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 09:07 PM   #21
mowtorman

Default What now

I think we're all sick of living in a toxic world, wearing face masks and being afraid of getting sick. I never considered the lake water could make me ill. I waited over a week for the stomach bug to go away before I heard the word Giadia for the first time. I know what I will do. If I'm going underwater I'll wear watertight ear plugs it's such an easy choice because I know I can get an ear in fection. Most people don't. I used to skin dive all the time....go down ten or so feet to get things off the bottom. I know now that if I get water up my nose inadvertently or in my mouth there are microorganisms that could make me sick. So I'll do my best not to do that. When I go swimming it won't be at a congested public beach with a lot of waterfoul around. September will probably be a good month to use the beaches. Most people spend their time at less populated areas of the lake and probably don't need to do anything. Ultimately you do what you want. Wear a mask or don't. Party with people or don't. Pee in the water or don't. Make choices live with the consequences. The bottom line is the water quality is as I stated not "pristine" like the "Switzerland of America". I didn't know that because I've been around too long operating on old beliefs. I wanted to share the information so that others can at least make informed decisions I have no interest in telling people what to do with their time on the lake I hope they enjoy it. That's why this forum even exists. Good question for sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-26-2020), Wentworth06 (09-16-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #22
Winilyme

Default My wife...

...was kayaking yesterday. Pulled a plastic bag out of the lake only to find it was full of someone's poop. Credit to her for not dropping it back in the lake. Would love to know who did that and where they lived. I'd mail it back to them.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:03 PM   #23
ApS

Question About This Case of "Loving It"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
...was kayaking yesterday. Pulled a plastic bag out of the lake only to find it was full of someone's poop. Credit to her for not dropping it back in the lake. Would love to know who did that and where they lived. I'd mail it back to them.
I was visiting my next-door neighbors (by boat!), when I saw something strange floating by. Investigating, what I'd seen was a hoof. The rest of the deer was under water. Most everything dead arrives in Johnson's Cove, but that doesn't seem to discourage dozens of weekend visitors. Maybe they've experienced worse "at home"?

Returning to my neighbors, they told me of seeing a disposable diaper floating by in the same direction. (A different season). They still drink directly from the lake, from about 2½ feet of water. Winter Harbor must be relatively clean: Nobody has reported sickness along this shore.

Today, just a week after seeing one other, I saw a second "disposed" aluminum can floating by. Deposits can't come soon enough—not to include diapers!

Shampooing their hair, two male visitors were the only case of "soaping-up" I've ever witnessed. Fortunately, both were nearly bald!

As for cleaning boats in the lake, I've seen only one case, where the elderly couple must have spent two hours scrubbing the topside. That is, excluding the case of my BIL, who poured a bucket of second-hand PineSol into the lake. This transformed about three acres of Lake Winnipesaukee (right to the bottom) to a bright, opaque white.

'Course, exceptionally heavy boat traffic wakes (for a Thursday) a week ago stirred up shoreline sediments, so the lake bottom (normally very clear at 9 feet) turned murky.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #24
XCR-700

Exclamation

Hummm,,, bags of poop and dirty diapers and a dead deer, so then maybe the buckets of Pinesol balance it all out.

I think I would be punching a water well into the ground and get just a bit of mother earth filtration,,,

I used to think I'll give up pepsi some day, until a friend commented to another about his drinking from the water fountain down in Alton Bay. It went something like this;

Are you going to drink that, ya why, dont you know fish > had relations< in that! Well it was a version of that,,,

Cant make this stuff up.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #25
wingnuts

Default Paugus pee bay

Ever see the number of boats at the sand bar near the Margate on Paugus Bay on a weekend? It's as bad as Winnisquam sand bar. Guaranteed most of them are peeing in lake. And then they trespass through the cemetery to Shaws and load up more beer, wine and soda to consume and further relieve themselves. All of this just upstream from the Laconia City intake for water...
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #26
mowtorman

Default Poop in a bag

Winilyme that is truly disgusting. Please google poop long lake Maine it's completely relevant and what we are headed for if people continue to treat the lake like a farm manure pond. P.S. by saying pee in the lake if you want to I don't advocate for it at all. I meant that no one can police what someone is doing in the water with one hand on the swim platform and no one wants to. I would advocate that what someone feels they absolutely are justified and need to do in the moment may not be best for everyone that uses the lake in the long term. Prior to Covid at any point in time you were never more than 5 minutes from at least a porta potty. It's harder now but you still have Weirs, Glendale, Shep Brown's, Center Harbor, Meredith and others on the northern side of the lake.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #27
ApS

Thumbs up Me--For One...

There are probably several healthy members of this forum who remember chilling their beverages with ice "harvested" from Winter Harbor. (Just a mile from where I currently reside).

"Harvesting"was done with a long hand saw, and were also likely sold as large blocks in Wolfeboro.

Of course, private dwellings now occupy nearly every inch of Winter Harbor that was formerly a White Pine forest.

We can't expect pristine.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #28
Winilyme

But, we need to aim for 'pristine' knowing that the result will be 'less than pristine - but hopefully not too bad'. If we aim for 'less than pristine', the result will be even worse.

Give people an inch and they'll take a mile.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #29
swnoel

How many property owners on thew lake will raise their hand and blame themselves for this?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:17 AM   #30
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
How many property owners on thew lake will raise their hand and blame themselves for this?
Its always easy to stand on the soap box and point fingers of blame, but few will look in the mirror and take responsibility AND then actually and significantly change what they are doing.

Its just human nature to blame the other guy, and to impose your preferences on others for their actions but not actually conform to those standards yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (08-28-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #31
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
Life is for learning. For the first time in 55 years I picked up a microorganism and an ear infection after spending the day swimming at public beaches on the same day on the northern end of the lake. To think that in the 60s houses ran pipes from the basements to about 40 feet out in the lake for a water source. There are natural springs near Cooks Pt. where you can watch the water blowing the sand up at about 12 feet deep. That's not enough to keep up with what's being put into the lake at this point. It's all about the feces and urine from humans and animals. You may think that I'm full of feces that's fine aren't we all? Haters will hate and I'm not hugging trees I like nature and powersports. The organism I picked up comes from cysts in feces (duck, geese, mink, dog, human) which remain viable in lake water for over 50 days. Common infection in dogs and cats.
All anyone has to do is wipe their mouth or swallow some water and you can intake the cysts. Phosphorus and Nitrogen are in urine and feces. When one person takes that innocent pee in the middle of the lake it matters. When 500 people take that innocent pee in Braun Bay it matters. When people squat in the channel to pee all day (I've seen it) it matters. Cyanobacteria which is toxic and associated with ALS (see Mascoma Lake DHMC) is in Kanasatka this summer. Once introduced it thrives on Nitrogen and Phosphorus. Kanasatka is 9' above Winnipesaukee so where do you think it is headed? If you have good flow, low population and low animal populations you are obviously better off. Point is the lake is taking a pounding and without the opportunity to flush over the winter it wouldn't be much better than Lilly Pond. Learned my lesson the hard way the lake is far from pristine even in a Covid year. More interesting reading google Long Lake in Maine I don' think we're there yet.
20 years ago or so I contracted Giardia (an intestinal parasite). I was 160 lbs at the time and lost 20 lbs in a month. I'm pretty certain, and doctors agreed, it was from the lake because at the time I was learning to barefoot water ski and ingested/took in lake water through every orifice on a regular basis. There's all kind-o-stuff mixed into that lake water
Old 08-25-2020, 07:44 PM   #32
ApS

Question Lake? Well? Could've Been Either Source...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
20 years ago or so I contracted Giardia (an intestinal parasite). I was 160 lbs at the time and lost 20 lbs in a month. I'm pretty certain, and doctors agreed, it was from the lake because at the time I was learning to barefoot water ski and ingested/took in lake water through every orifice on a regular basis. There's all kind-o-stuff mixed into that lake water
Giardia is also found in New Hampshire's well water:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4848110/

(At the "X")…
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2020, 05:33 PM   #33
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default This might help stop ear infections

As a diver I've learned a few things about ears. One is that if you dive often enough you'll probably get an ear infection.

Beside hurting like hell sometimes, you risk collateral damage health-wise if it takes off such as permanent loss of hearing and other bad things.

While I can't protect myself from bad water other than avoiding it, a 50/50 blend of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol is a dirt cheap and very effective way to head off ear infections. No guarantees of course but it sure works for me.

The vinegar, being acidic, kills bacteria and the alcohol displaces water in the ear canal. I use white vinegar to clean bottles I find diving because it's mildly acidic.

Make yourself a very small batch of 50/50 blend of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar.

All you need is a small 2 or 3 oz. bottle with a tip on it so you can tilt your head and put 2-4 drops in and getting it into the ear canal. You'll know it's in the canal because it will make an odd sound as it plugs it up and actually feels plugged up which is what you want-all the way to the tympanic membrane-the ear drum. The plugged up feeling won't last long.

You can also buy this solution at alot of dive shops and very likely at CVS etc.. Sometimes it's called "auro-dri" or similar name. Basically they market it for "swimmer's ear".

Water stuck in the ear canal is a petrie dish waiting to take off. Bad water only magnifies the odds of getting an infection.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-25-2020), Biggd (08-25-2020), Descant (08-26-2020), ishoot308 (08-25-2020), Lakegeezer (08-28-2020), LakeTimes (08-29-2020), mowtorman (08-25-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (08-25-2020), ushaggerb (09-02-2020), XCR-700 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #34
barefootbay

The lakes are being loved to death ! Too many people , too much money, plain and simple !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barefootbay For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-25-2020), mowtorman (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 07:47 PM   #35
Mink Islander

I’m also a diver and use a slightly different mix to address ear infections: 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 alcohol and 1/3 baby oil. The alcohol will dry the skin so the baby oil helps with that.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 08:01 PM   #36
mowtorman

Default source

I'm the only one off the water source who is sick and the timing of onset perfectly matches the incubation time. Good suggestion but can't imagine no one else being sick plus the cysts originate in feces which would be harder to introduce than a large contingent of waterfoul. Think about grandkids etc. this is really not a pleasant experience make sure they don't ingest while playing or spray it with their mouths while playing in the water with friends it's not worth it.