Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
NH_boater

Default Downings Landing - What a shame.

I have been a seasonal customer of Jon and Nancy for a few years and they always ran a good business. Nancy organizing the launches and trailering. Jon organizing the parking, keeping parking in the lines and in the right size spaces.

Today we likely to find cars in trailer only spaces, or trucks & trailers in car-top only spaces, Parking across the lines, in at funny angles, docks falling in the water, boats at the docks overnight, boats and trailers parked overnight, etc.
But worst of all, the inconsiderate and the ignorant have power loaded the hell out of the ramp leaving a 3-4" step down off the concrete ramp top and a steep crater right behind it. The mound of relocated bottom has resulted in a very shallow pad at the end of the dock, maybe 30" deep or less, where it used to be 6' or more. I trimmed up out at the end of the dock.

I have used this ramp hundreds of times over the years without incident. Maybe a touch of an angle if you backed in too much to the right but very smooth and the right angle. Today, my F150 struggled to pull my 23 footer up the steep ramp, especially at the step up that was never there before. A few more ignorant power loads and the ramp will be basically unusable for most boaters, until the ramp is repaired. Based on the deteriorating docks in only one year, my guess is that the F&G won't be spending much to repair the ramp. Without anyone present to provide direction and/or authority, Downing seems to be headed straight into the crapper. This is a shame for a business that worked so well for years.

I miss Jon and Nancy, and of course, wish them well. Too bad the new owners don't seem to have the interest, knowledge or budget to maintain this formally great facility. Jon and Nancy are friends, they must cringe as they see this business basically fall apart in only a year. I hope next year the F&G proves to be more active in maintenance and management or this ramp will be very poor or dangerous.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_boater View Post
I have been a seasonal customer of Jon and Nancy for a few years and they always ran a good business. Nancy organizing the launches and trailering. Jon organizing the parking, keeping parking in the lines and in the right size spaces.

Today we likely to find cars in trailer only spaces, or trucks & trailers in car-top only spaces, Parking across the lines, in at funny angles, docks falling in the water, boats at the docks overnight, boats and trailers parked overnight, etc.
But worst of all, the inconsiderate and the ignorant have power loaded the hell out of the ramp leaving a 3-4" step down off the concrete ramp top and a steep crater right behind it. The mound of relocated bottom has resulted in a very shallow pad at the end of the dock, maybe 30" deep or less, where it used to be 6' or more. I trimmed up out at the end of the dock.

I have used this ramp hundreds of times over the years without incident. Maybe a touch of an angle if you backed in too much to the right but very smooth and the right angle. Today, my F150 struggled to pull my 23 footer up the steep ramp, especially at the step up that was never there before. A few more ignorant power loads and the ramp will be basically unusable for most boaters, until the ramp is repaired. Based on the deteriorating docks in only one year, my guess is that the F&G won't be spending much to repair the ramp. Without anyone present to provide direction and/or authority, Downing seems to be headed straight into the crapper. This is a shame for a business that worked so well for years.

I miss Jon and Nancy, and of course, wish them well. Too bad the new owners don't seem to have the interest, knowledge or budget to maintain this formally great facility. Jon and Nancy are friends, they must cringe as they see this business basically fall apart in only a year. I hope next year the F&G proves to be more active in maintenance and management or this ramp will be very poor or dangerous.
Hey, it's free. Give them a chance to do what is on the drawing boards. I think we are extremely lucky to be able to use it while the changes are in the planning stage and then implemented, don't you???

Last edited by RLW; 09-29-2013 at 09:17 PM. Reason: forgot a word
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Hey, it's free. Give them a chance to do what is on the drawing boards. I think we are extremely lucky to be able to use it while the changes are in the planning stage and then implemented, don't you???
No I don't feel extremely lucky. I would much rather see them charge for a launch and maintain the facility with supervision and maintenance than the current plan of charge nothing and watch it fall apart. Ideally they provide both: free service and supervision/maintance.

As I stated, I hope next year proves to be different. I don't know their plans, maybe you do. I only know what I have seen in their first year of operation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (09-30-2013), Resident 2B (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
searay220

Quote:
No I don't feel extremely lucky. I would much rather see them charge for a launch and maintain the facility with supervision and maintenance than the current plan of charge nothing and watch it fall apart. Ideally they provide both: free service and supervision/maintance.

As I stated, I hope next year proves to be different. I don't know their plans, maybe you do. I only know what I have seen in their first year of operation.
I agree with NH boater completely. F+G should be ashamed of themselves letting Downings end up the way it is.
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to searay220 For This Useful Post:
cameoroxx1 (09-30-2013), Resident 2B (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Things change growing pains are inevitable.....

While you may not like the fact that Downings is now owned by the State, and its going to become a fish and Game access point. You must except it because it happening.

For far to long NH inland water ways have had restricted access to what is supposed to be a public body of water. All the towns saw fit to start charging for the use of their facilities, and none of the current state facilities had adequate parking.

You can't claim to have a public access, with out making it accessible to everyone....

Last as I stated in another thread... Realize where the blame is.... it is on the people that use the facility and don't want to have consideration for others. Plain and simple....
Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
4Fun

Default Power loading

I just don't understand the need to power load? Am I missing something???? If you just position your trailer correctly it will slide on 90% of the way. 20 seconds of cranking and the its ready to go.

Is it just laziness or do some trailers require so much effort? I know all the ones I have used are easy to load...
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4Fun For This Useful Post:
Legionnaire70 (10-07-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I just don't understand the need to power load? Am I missing something???? If you just position your trailer correctly it will slide on 90% of the way. 20 seconds of cranking and the its ready to go.

Is it just laziness or do some trailers require so much effort? I know all the ones I have used are easy to load...
Given the rest of the description about people at the ramp, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it's just general incompetence.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
searay220

"general incompetence" Well said!

Not only is it at the ramp but also on the water. The no-wake zone in Alton Bay has been completely ignored by boaters coming from and going to the "New Public Ramp". Alton Bay now has a new class of boaters.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
NH_boater

There are parts of the country where the ramps are 100% concrete and power loading is not a problem. That is why there is a big sign saying 'no power loading'. It used to be a $100 fine under the Downings.

I do not glide onto the trailer. I tie up, trailer backs down, walk the boat onto the trailer with a line on the stern and bow, cinch up and wife drives the boat up the ramp and away from ramp. I take less time, due to practice I am sure, than most boaters, even many of those that powerload. Floating in on can be very quick and easy, and does not destroy the ramp for all others.

I have seen numerous bass boats powerload. Two men on board, idle up to dock and one hops out, boat driver backs out slightly and waits, other man backs down the ramp, boater powers on and truck driver pulls forward with the boater still in the boat. This is fast, for sure, but ruins the ramp for others as well as their next trip back. PLEASE understand that I am not blaming this on bass boats only. I fish too. It is just something I have seen numerous times. I see bowriders and cuddy's power load too.
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
Lakesrider (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Dave R

There are three ways to load a boat onto a trailer, two involve power but one is not "power loading". Idling on to the trailer is perfectly acceptable (John and Nancy tole me there was no problem with it) where power loading is not allowed and always faster than pulling the boat onto the trailer with lines, if done correctly.

I have always idled onto my trailer and winched up the last few feet. I don't tug the boat onto the trailer manually because lines only work under tension and a little cross wind at the wrong time can really screw up the process if the boat is being blown toward you. My boat is rather heavy too, so it would take forever.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Quote:

I do not glide onto the trailer. I tie up, trailer backs down, walk the boat onto the trailer with a line on the stern and bow, cinch up and wife drives the boat up the ramp and away from ramp. I take less time, due to practice I am sure, than most boaters, even many of those that powerload. Floating in on can be very quick and easy, and does not destroy the ramp for all others.
Nice. I thought I was the only one.
I do it the same way. Have since my father taught me to load using ropes. The only time I may motor to the trailer is in a severe wind condition where I want to be on the boat should anything happen. And I have a 25 foot Monterey cruiser.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
There are three ways to load a boat onto a trailer, two involve power but one is not "power loading". Idling on to the trailer is perfectly acceptable (John and Nancy tole me there was no problem with it) where power loading is not allowed and always faster than pulling the boat onto the trailer with lines, if done correctly.

I have always idled onto my trailer and winched up the last few feet. I don't tug the boat onto the trailer manually because lines only work under tension and a little cross wind at the wrong time can really screw up the process if the boat is being blown toward you. My boat is rather heavy too, so it would take forever.
Dave, I did not mean to imply that idling onto the trailer was an issue. This is not power loading. Power loading is simply raising the RPM's and using force, not latent momentum to push the boat up and onto the trailer. I see guys going to what seems like 3-4K RPM's to force the boat up to the trailer stop and then simply hooking to the bow hook. As the do this, they are moving the bottom. forming a crater and subsequent mound behind it. Jon and Nancy also told me that idling on was fine, which I occasionally did in windy conditions. Agreed that this (idle on) is not the issue.

I also see folks power on because they clearly did not back their trailer in far enough and now they are lifting the bow up as they force the boat forward.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Resident 2B

Quote:

I have seen numerous bass boats powerload. Two men on board, idle up to dock and one hops out, boat driver backs out slightly and waits, other man backs down the ramp, boater powers on and truck driver pulls forward with the boater still in the boat. This is fast, for sure, but ruins the ramp for others as well as their next trip back. PLEASE understand that I am not blaming this on bass boats only. I fish too. It is just something I have seen numerous times. I see bowriders and cuddy's power load too.
I have noticed the same thing.

We all need to think about the future of the ramp or the free ramp could quickly become one less access place.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
Dave, I did not mean to imply that idling onto the trailer was an issue. This is not power loading. Power loading is simply raising the RPM's and using force, not latent momentum to push the boat up and onto the trailer. I see guys going to what seems like 3-4K RPM's to force the boat up to the trailer stop and then simply hooking to the bow hook. As the do this, they are moving the bottom. forming a crater and subsequent mound behind it. Jon and Nancy also told me that idling on was fine, which I occasionally did in windy conditions. Agreed that this (idle on) is not the issue.

I also see folks power on because they clearly did not back their trailer in far enough and now they are lifting the bow up as they force the boat forward.
I only wanted to distinguish because I've been yelled at for "power loading" when I was idling onto my trailer and figured some folks think it's the same thing... I always idle onto my trailer regardless of conditions, I'm quick about it, it's part of my routine and I like to have a steady routine for tasks like this, and I never have to worry about the boat getting away from me.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Default Food for thought

While power loading is a problem. I think what the boating community is missing is the fact that what is really needed is better ramp infrastructure. And more education on the various ways trailers can be built.

Having boated all over the country, The Northeast has some of the worst access points. Ramps are constructed so that they aren't steep enough, to facility floating boats on and off of trailers. Or when they are shallow they are built as huge concrete blocks so that power loading is not a problem.
The last thing about ramps in other area's of the country is that they are huge some wide enough to allow 5-10 boats launch at once...

Here in the Northeast ramps are often shallow, and end short such that the trailer is no longer on the ramp but rather out on the lake bed.

Because many are only big enough for one boat people often feel rushed.

The other thing that people need to consider is that bunk trailers if you are constantly loading and unloading your boat aren't always the best option. Most manufacturers, offer them as std. equipment for trailer boats because they are cheap and easy to produce. A roller trailer really solves many of the problems, however often add to the cost of a boat, so most people stay with the standard bunk trailer.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
4Fun

Default same routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I only wanted to distinguish because I've been yelled at for "power loading" when I was idling onto my trailer and figured some folks think it's the same thing... I always idle onto my trailer regardless of conditions, I'm quick about it, it's part of my routine and I like to have a steady routine for tasks like this, and I never have to worry about the boat getting away from me.
Same here.
I back the trailer in and my wife IDLES the boat on 3-4mph. As soon as the bow is between the bunks of the trailer the engine is off and she trims up. We never push any water with the boat stationary. Crank the winch for a few seconds and pull out. If my trailer is wet for more than minute I would be surprised.

Not to point fingers but it seems bass boats and pontoons seem to power load the most. I think it's an outboard thing not really a boat type. Maybe us i/o guys don't want to grind up a prop on the ramp either. I think they are just clueless to the damage it does.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #17
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
The other thing that people need to consider is that bunk trailers if you are constantly loading and unloading your boat aren't always the best option. Most manufacturers, offer them as std. equipment for trailer boats because they are cheap and easy to produce. A roller trailer really solves many of the problems, however often add to the cost of a boat, so most people stay with the standard bunk trailer.
Back in 1999 when I bought my first Baja (212 Islander), our favorite salesman, Jim, at Channel Marine told me that Baja did not recommend roller trailers, they recommended bunk trailers for better support of the hull and less chance of deflection in the flat hull surfaces. My current boat is a 25 Outlaw and it also is on a bunk trailer, although this particular trailer manufacturer was not my first choice for a trailer. So far, so good, I've not had any problems with my current boat or the trailer it sits on. I do think I need to adjust the bunks inboard a little to get maximum contact between the trailer bunks and the hull.

I've never power-loaded either of my boats onto the trailer but I used to idle on until the hull made contact with the bunks when I was launching at Ames Farm; they were winched up from there. Since I've been launching/retrieving at WAM, it's float off and float on only since they have docks on either side of the ramp and it's a simple process to walk the boat off and back on.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #18
NoBozo

In REAL Life..Baja has it right. Bunks are designed for Support Of The Hull ....to Retain the shape of the hull as much as possable over time. (Yes..bunks are cheaper.)

Rollers offer easier loading and launch..BUT.. Offer Hard Spots (Stress points) which..in the long run.. can be detrimental to the retention of hull shape ..particularly with performance boats. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #19
Dave R

I've had a roller and two bunk trailers. I'll never own another roller. Bunks work great and do an excellent job of aligning the boat perfectly.

I will never own another trailer with surge brakes either. Electric brakes are vastly superior in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (09-30-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #20
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Same here.
I think they are just clueless to the damage it does.
I only want to talk about this part of your post. I think this boils down to either ignorance, or cluelessness. There is a difference.

Ignorance to me means that the person knows enough not to do something, but does it anyway.

Cluelessness to me means that the person does not know not to do something. In other words, they were not educated.

Which brings me to my point. Where does one get an education on how to load/unload a boat at the ramp?
The answer is simple...there is no place. It is not discussed in the boater safety education course, and as far as I know, it is not discussed anywhere else. So how do they learn? Experience, and from the experiences of others who have been educated. That's how I learned.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I only want to talk about this part of your post. I think this boils down to either ignorance, or cluelessness. There is a difference.

Ignorance to me means that the person knows enough not to do something, but does it anyway.

Cluelessness to me means that the person does not know not to do something. In other words, they were not educated.

Which brings me to my point. Where does one get an education on how to load/unload a boat at the ramp?
The answer is simple...there is no place. It is not discussed in the boater safety education course, and as far as I know, it is not discussed anywhere else. So how do they learn? Experience, and from the experiences of others who have been educated. That's how I learned.
There should be a sign at the ramp that says "No Power Loading". Then there is no excuse. Is there a sign??
Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Rollers offer easier loading and launch..BUT.. Offer Hard Spots (Stress points) which..in the long run.. can be detrimental to the retention of hull shape ..particularly with performance boats. NB
This is only true when not enough rollers are used...... I have plenty of experience with both roller trailers and bunk trailers... have owned both and used both... Both have their good point and bad points...

People that have issues, with roller trailers are not providing enough support, don't have the proper roller trailer... They also buy cheap trailers, and don't bother to customize them to the application...

Like wise I also see plenty of boats, on poorly designed bunk trailers that do more damage then the do good....

The idea that bunk trailer better supports a boat, then a properly designed roller boat trailer, is a total misconception...

After having customized a roller trailer to properly fit a boat, I can tell, you that I could load the boat, just a fast as someone with a bunk trailer, with out any alignment issues. And there where no issue with the hull not being supported.....

I have had many marina's give me the same song and dance about bunk trailers are better, and the bottom line, is they don't have the desire, time, or expertise, to properly fit a roller trailer....

I looked at replacing my current bunk trailer a few years ago, with a roller trailer and talked with a few marinas, and was told that they would order a trailer, and fit it to my boat to the best of their abilities, but wouldn't be able do do any customizing.... This was after talking with the trailer and boat manufactures, knowing what model trailer I wanted, and what modifications where need to properly support the boat. The boat manufacture, recommend adding addition rollers at the stern of the boat, to better support the weight. The Trailer manufacturer recommended ordering the standard trailer, and adding the extra rollers myself, or ask my marina to do it when the did the fit of the trailer to the boat.. As the cost of doing a custom order was substantially higher for the couple of customizations I needed.. But the dealer wouldn't take the time to modify the trailer....They told me they would order the extra parts, but didn't have someone with the right expertise to install them, and truly fit the boat to the trailer.

As I ended up not trailing the boat, as much as I anticipated, I opted not to get the new trailer... but the experience taught me a few things... 1st if you do your homework there is nothing wrong with a roller trailer (I already knew this, but my experiences confirmed this) 2nd -- fitting a roller trailer properly, takes time, and marinas don't like taking that time... 3rd if you talk to the boat manufacturer and the trailer manufacture, you can get the results you are looking for. Oh by the way, the trailer I was looking to order, was the same on the Boat Manufacturer orders when a roller trailer is requested by a marina...
Old 10-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
There should be a sign at the ramp that says "No Power Loading". Then there is no excuse. Is there a sign??
There was when the Downings owned it.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #24
4Fun

Quote:

With those definitions I think it's cluelessness. I doubt the power loaders are bad people they just don't know what damage they can do. I am not sure where I learned that power loading was bad... I always just found it easiest to slide the boat on and winch the rest. I believe they do talk about power loading in the course though. I remeber seeing a drawing of the mound of sand behind the ramp.

If I see someone power loading I will say something to educate. You just don't always get the opportunity to talk though.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #25
LakeSnake

Default Nh Boat Ed - Power Loading

The below taken from the online NH Boat Ed study guide.

"Do Not Power Load Your Boat
Propeller wash can erode the sediment just beyond the ramp surface, creating a large hole. The eroded sediment is deposited behind the propeller, creating a mound. Trailer tires can get stuck in these holes, and boats can run aground on the mound."

Nice picture below of end of ramp washed out and mound behind....

So being clueless is not an excuse - assuming you do have a nh boat license.
chipj29 (10-02-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #26
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Yes, there is a 'no power loading' sign.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #27
NH_boater

Quote:
There are many, many sources of this information if someone cares to look. There are countless videos on youtube and the like on how to properly launch and retrieve. There are many websites with information on learning this craft. There are also numerous books, a few of which I own. Of course, there are also companies out there selling their expertise to make boating more enjoyable. Then there are the compulsory safety courses. Oh, and the signs that say no powerloading.

I think it safe to safe that there are numerous sources of education if someone wants to learn.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #28
NH_boater

Chip, I used the term 'ignorant' in my original post. Ignorant means uninformed or uneducated. I did not mean that they knew better but did it anyway; this is where I used the term 'inconsiderate'.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #29
chipj29

Quote:
Yes, there is a 'no power loading' sign.
That's good. And as was just posted, it is discussed in the NH boater education. However, what if someone is so clueless that they don't know what power loading is?

I realize I might be stretching a bit, and yes, it is probably more that people just don't care. But I bet there are people who don't know any better.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #30
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
That's good. And as was just posted, it is discussed in the NH boater education. However, what if someone is so clueless that they don't know what power loading is?

I realize I might be stretching a bit, and yes, it is probably more that people just don't care. But I bet there are people who don't know any better.
There are some people that just don't know any better, and that is why conversation is good at the ramp...of course that doesn't mean you yell and tell them they are morrons... It means you approach them after the fact, and explain how harmful what they have done is..... Sure those that know better are going to be wise and fresh... in which case you just walk away but those that didn't realize they were doing something harmful will listen, and probably ask for suggestions.....
Old 10-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
Happy Gourmand

Default confession time...guilty as charged

Quote:
There are some people that just don't know any better, and that is why conversation is good at the ramp...of course that doesn't mean you yell and tell them they are morrons... It means you approach them after the fact, and explain how harmful what they have done is..... Sure those that know better are going to be wise and fresh... in which case you just walk away but those that didn't realize they were doing something harmful will listen, and probably ask for suggestions.....
I've only been helping a friend put his boat on his trailer for the past 5 years or so. And I loaded my own boat on a trailer for the 1st time earlier this year. Previously, I just left my boats at a marina for winterizing/storage. I have to admit that I was taught to power load, never aware of or thought about the damage it was doing.
From my observation at the ramps, there are many more folks like me who are ignorant/clueless or whatever we want to call them who just don't know of any other way to do it.
I wish I had known about this before now. Going forward, I will be more respectful of the proper way to load a boat on a trailer.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #32
NH_boater

Quote:
That is why god made google.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
Legionnaire70

Thumbs down

Used the ramp today, all I can say is WOW! Wow, and wow!

It took 3 times to get the trailer tires over the lip and back up onto cement.

I personally like the 10' crater that is there, I certainly hope they come up with a solution to that issue! Yikes
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #34
RLW

Question

I have a simple question. Can't people see this so called crater before putting in or taking out, or is the water so murky that you can't see it???
Old 10-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #35
Legionnaire70

Quote:
I have a simple question. Can't people see this so called crater before putting in or taking out, or is the water so murky that you can't see it???
Oh, you can see it! Walk half way down the dock. Problem is nobody cares.
The Following User Says Thank You to Legionnaire70 For This Useful Post:
RLW (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #36
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire70 View Post

I personally like the 10' crater that is there, I certainly hope they come up with a solution to that issue! Yikes
Thank you for this post. As the OP, some of the responses made me out to be a bit of an alarmist. I tried to make my post accurate without too much hyperbole. I would hope next years brings some level of supervision, authority and maintenance because the current plan ain't work'n.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #37
Legionnaire70

2 things I forgot to add, 1) the lake is so low this time of year it made it even more difficult to get the trailer situated just right and 2) we had to gun it to get over the lip that the boat came off 2 of the rollers and is now sitting funny on the trailer. The shibleys ramp is looking pretty good these days, should have gone there instead!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #38
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Be careful what you wish for.

Quote:
2 things I forgot to add, 1) the lake is so low this time of year it made it even more difficult to get the trailer situated just right and 2) we had to gun it to get over the lip that the boat came off 2 of the rollers and is now sitting funny on the trailer. The shibleys ramp is looking pretty good these days, should have gone there instead!
With the lake down over 1 ft from full lake, using the Town of Alton (as you probably know, it isn't Shibley's, just happens to be next to the restaurant.) ramp can also have its own issues. You may not be able to get enough of the trailer into the water to easily float and winch a boat onto the trailer, depending on the size of the trailer and the boat. Backing in too far results in the trailer dropping off the end of the concrete ramp.

Regarding the F&G ramp, my recollection is that they intend to upgrade the ramp, but I would guess that was not in the plans for this year. I thought that I had read they intend to put in concrete pads, but that would, I'm sure, take DES approval and site work to boot. Someone who has the time and cares may want to investigate the articles back when this property sale was first announced and see if they can find info on this.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #39
DEJ

Here ya go. Pay attention to the statement MAY INCLUDE.

"NH FISH AND GAME ACQUIRES BOAT ACCESS SITE ON LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE CONCORD, N.H. -- On November 21, 2012, the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department purchased a private marina known as Downing’s Landing at the southern tip of Alton Bay. That means Fish and Game, after many years, has finally acquired a boat access facility on Lake Winnipesaukee, the state’s largest lake. "This is exciting news for New Hampshire's outdoor enthusiasts because it creates the first state-owned and controlled public boat ramp with parking on Lake Winnipesaukee," said Fish and Game Executive Director Glenn Normandeau. "For years, we've wanted to provide the public with a boat access site on the big lake, and I am thrilled that we've been able to do it." The Downing's Landing facility includes an existing boat launch with paved parking for vehicles with trailers, as well as a handful of cartop parking spaces. The site includes two buildings and several docks that will allow for excellent shorebank fishing opportunities, particularly during the spring salmon season. The facility will be open to the public for launching boats and shorebank fishing with no fee. The site may be temporarily closed while Fish and Game transitions ownership and determines what maintenance and repairs are necessary. Since the general use of the property will not change, it seems to be for the most part a "turnkey" facility that can be opened to the public with minimal work. This is quite different from most acquisitions of undeveloped property, which can take months or even years of planning, permitting and construction before a boat access site can be opened to the public. In the near term, parking configurations will be evaluated and maximized for the upcoming boating season. Future renovations will be planned as Fish and Game moves forward. Improvements may include dock repairs and installation of a newer concrete boat ramp. Fish and Game officials hope to have the site open this winter in time for the ice fishing season. New Hampshire's Public Boat Access Program is funded through boat registration fees and federal Wildlife and Sport Fish Restoration funds, a true user-pay, user-benefit program. Fish and Game's Facilities and Lands Division acquires land for public water access sites, refurbishes existing sites and builds new public boat access areas. Fish and Game maintains more than 140 public boat access sites throughout New Hampshire. "
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #40
searay220

Quote:

I pulled my boat out yesterday at the ramp and couldn't agree more. I hope F&G can idiot proof the ramp somehow because there is no shortage of idiots using it and ruining it for others.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #41
LIforrelaxin

Why is it that so many people are complaining this year about this ramp...

I find it hard to believe that over the course of a summer that the ramp was ruined...

As with all ramps in the Northeast that I have had to deal with, I am sure this ramp fall into the category, of not being designed to be used with today larger boats.

Of course to build proper ramps requires finding the right site, and dealing with environmental approval...

If your going to boat late into the season, deal with the fact that getting your boat on the trailer is going to come with some hassles. Or learn where the better ramps are around the lake.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #42
gf2020

Quote:

I find it hard to believe that over the course of a summer that the ramp was ruined...

No, it's entirely believable. The ramp has gone from a privately owned and maintained facility to a public facility with no maintenance.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gf2020 For This Useful Post:
DEJ (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #43
RLW

Smile

Could it be that the ones that are having a problem with the ramp didn't use it when it was a pay for usage ramp and now it is free they come and decide to use it and park their vehicles and trailers on sight and then complain????
LIforrelaxin (10-08-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #44
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Yes, RLW, I was thinking it is probably getting a LOT more use now that it is free.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #45
NH_boater

Quote:
Why is it that so many people are complaining this year about this ramp...

As with all ramps in the Northeast that I have had to deal with, I am sure this ramp fall into the category, of not being designed to be used with today larger boats.

Of course to build proper ramps requires finding the right site, and dealing with environmental approval...

If your going to boat late into the season, deal with the fact that getting your boat on the trailer is going to come with some hassles. Or learn where the better ramps are around the lake.
...and yet it was ruined over one summer. My guess is that you have not seen this ramp before and after. As far as not being designed for larger boats, I would just add that the same class of boats have been launching there for years without a fraction of the problem that we saw in only a few months. The size of the boats is not an issue if people simply followed the directions given (signs) and used some sense. It is incorrect, in my opinion, to blame the ramp design. This ramp has seen cruisers, go fasts, jets, jet skies, bowriders, bass boats and virtually every other trailer boat without incident for years and years and years. Could an all-concrete ramp solve some of the issues, sure it could; but this is not what is currently installed nor has it ever been.

Sure some people are ignorant to power loading, but this is no excuse just like ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. IMO, this is more about inconsiderate behavior because there is no one there to correct them. Same thing for improper and illegal parking, illegal docking, leaving garbage everywhere, etc.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #46
upthesaukee

Default Not the greatest ramp in the past.

I have been reading this thread with interest.

My 25 ft Mariah broke down the first summer we had it (coil cracked, warranty fix) and I called TowBoat US for the tow in. Also called Parker Marine, and once we got to Downings, we tied off at the dock and Parker came across the street with a trailer to bring the boat to their yard.

They backed the trailer in, and there was a hole along the right side of the ramp that made it difficult to get the boat on the trailer straight. Not a big deal...they got it on the trailer with a little trial and error, and then across the street.

While we were loading, another boater there said that you had to straddle two holes to get the trailer level. Can't verify it...I never launched there personally.

Also, as far as the Downings always being there..not necessarily true. They were there far more than the F&G are, but early mornings and evenings and nights, we saw boaters power loading during the "Downing era". I just fear that it is being done a lot more now. Too bad.

I hope that the "may include" concrete ramps will come to fruition.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #47
searay220

I had a season pass for the past 10 years or so with the Downings and never had any issue with the ramp until this year. It was always maintained and in good condition. Thank goodness I got a slip this year and only had to use it twice.
BTW there was always a drop off/uneveness on the right side of the ramp thats why no one used that side.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #48
Dave R

While I think it's a shame that inconsiderate people have made a mess of the ramp, the parking is still free and convenient (assuming you can get spot); and there is another ramp right around the corner that does not have any issues. It also happens to have substantially more dock space. You certainly can use the other ramp and still park at Downings... That's what I plan to do until the Downings ramp is repaired.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #49
Steveo

Default Just an FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

... My 25 ft Mariah broke down the first summer we had it (coil cracked, warranty fix) and I called TowBoat US for the tow in. Also called Parker Marine, and once we got to Downings, we tied off at the dock and Parker came across the street with a trailer to bring the boat to their yard...
Not exactly on topic but another change with the F&G ramp is that you no longer can have your marina use it on your behalf. I store my boat (no trailer) with Irwin's and they use to pick it up at Downing's, but the F&G does not allow commercial activity at their ramp so you have to find a alternative. Robert's Cove is an alternative.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #50
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I didn't think about that. The Irwin's in Alton is off the water so they need a place to put in and out. Very interesting. Glad they can use Robert's Cove.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #51
NH_boater

Quote:
Could it be that the ones that are having a problem with the ramp didn't use it when it was a pay for usage ramp and now it is free they come and decide to use it and park their vehicles and trailers on sight and then complain????
I can only speak for myself, the OP. I spent one thousand dollars a year (for many years) to use the ramp and would still be doing so if this was still a good option. I used it nearly daily through the spring/summer/early fall and many days I used it multiple times a day. I fished from Downings just about everyday and also launched my bowrider between 5 and 8 days a week. I can comfortably say that I have very accurate knowledge of the ramp, over many years.

So in my case, no.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #52
upthesaukee

Default I know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Not exactly on topic but another change with the F&G ramp is that you no longer can have your marina use it on your behalf. I store my boat (no trailer) with Irwin's and they use to pick it up at Downing's, but the F&G does not allow commercial activity at their ramp so you have to find a alternative. Robert's Cove is an alternative.
this happened when the Downing's still owned the property, and was so that we didn't have to get a boat to go under the bridge to tow me back into the Marina.

good heads up for others though.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #53
searay220

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
this happened when the Downing's still owned the property, and was so that we didn't have to get a boat to go under the bridge to tow me back into the Marina.

good heads up for others though.
As I stated before the regulars that use the Downing ramp know not to use the right side of the ramp because of the drop and unevenness. That has always been there at least the last 12 years. As far as Parker coming to retrieve your boat and using the right side ramp he I am sure knows better.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #54
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
While I know that the F&G doesn't allow commercial activity... you do have to take that with a grain of salt..... If a boat is disabled, or in danger, and the closet facility to get the boat out of the water is the F&G access I am sure there would not be a problem.... What F&G doesn't want is normal launch and retrieve practices for off water marina's to be taking place at the facility.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #55
brk-lnt

Quote:
I fished from Downings just about everyday and also launched my bowrider between 5 and 8 days a week.
8 days a week. That is some hardcore dedication
Old 10-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #56
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
8 days a week. That is some hardcore dedication
That's hilarious. Sorry, of course I meant times a week. Thanks for the laugh.