Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
Grove84

Default Favorite Lake Coves

My wife and I have been on the lake for over 12 years now and have visited many of the landmarks on the lake, and we are curious from others in the forum where some of your favorite coves or places to visit on the lake may by. Completely understand that many may not want to share their hidden gems.
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
Jonas Pilot

I could tell you a lot of neat sites but it would depend on wether you were going to explore or anchor.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Grove84

Smile Favorite Coves

Hello Jonas, only to explore. The one thing I am very careful of is the 150' rule to shore, but more importantly not to intrude on the privacy of others trying to enjoy their time at the lake.

If I am going to take the trouble to anchor, I'll visit the other sand bars.

I like to be able to show our guests the real beauty of the lake and what it has to offer while enjoying a nice cruise on the lake.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Jonas Pilot

Default Home port?

Where do you start your day?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

There is a nice cove off of Stonedam and the area off Timber between Mark are popular spots to anchor. We avoid the sandbars because they tend to be over crowded. I used to enjoy them but as I've gotten older we have migrated to the less crowded areas on the lake. You still get to meet a lot of great people, you just have to float over to say hi.
Grove84 the 150' rule applies to headway speed not how close to shore you can anchor.
Many times we anchore with our stern 20-30' from shore.
Also know that we do not anchor in front of houses.
BroadHopper (07-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Guy

One part of the lake that always leaves me in awe is the Varney islands. Lots of areas to explore. (watch for rocks)
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Before the Island...

We used to hang out a lot near Worcester Island - the cove where the French president stayed.

These days I love to explore Rattlesnake Island in my kayak. There are lots of interesting spots to anchor and swim. Some rocky and some sandy.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
rgilfert

I have always loved the ride up to Green's Basin! It's a long ride or us now that we're on Rattlesnake so we only do it a couple of times a summer but while summering on the lake in the 50's / 60's I used to ride up there with my Dad virtually every night (we were starting from near Melvin Village back then). Lots of neat coves to explore. Always liked checking out behind Black Island...though you must keep an eye out for rocks. Buzzel Cove is pretty cool and offers exposure to families of loons. The whole ride is peaceful and keeps you on your toes navigating...especially if you are an infrequent visitor.
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
robbsracingengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
I have always loved the ride up to Green's Basin! It's a long ride or us now that we're on Rattlesnake so we only do it a couple of times a summer but while summering on the lake in the 50's / 60's I used to ride up there with my Dad virtually every night (we were starting from near Melvin Village back then). Lots of neat coves to explore. Always liked checking out behind Black Island...though you must keep an eye out for rocks. Buzzel Cove is pretty cool and offers exposure to families of loons. The whole ride is peaceful and keeps you on your toes navigating...especially if you are an infrequent visitor.
We have been camping at Long Island Bridge for about 15 years now. I always wanted to make the trip from there up to Greens Basin. Its a relatively long ride from there especially with my slow pontoon. This year I did it finally. It certainly is a great boat ride. Some interesting navigating to get there. I chose to go the short way inside Nineacre and Spectacle Islands instead of out and around Whortleberry Island and through the Graveyard. A little tougher to navigate but definitely worth it.
robbsracingengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
mas1992bc

Smith Cove just off of Moultonborough Bay is great spot. For that past couple of years, it has been a great spot to swim and watch the Eagle's nest high up in the tree on island. Not too crowded usually either.
mas1992bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
Jonas Pilot

I've always enjoyed the Center Harbor area. You can dock and go for a Coffee and a Winnipesaukee Bay Gull. Head back out and find Beckie's Garden. That's about two miles from Center Harbor on the left or east. Look for the bridge to Black Cat Island. After you go under the bridge bear to your left and follow the shore. Soon you will find Ash Cove and then Salmon Meadow Cove. After checking out Salmon Meadow Cove stick to the left shore again and you will find Senter Cove. This is one of my favorite cove trips.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Grove84

Default Favorite Coves

Home Port is out of Paugus Bay Marina and we the head over to the Moultonboro side or where ever we are exploring for the day. We make the run over to Green's basin 1 -2 times per year, it is a beautiful afternoon trip over and then we cruise back around sunset
Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
jrc

From PBM, I would explore Sally's gut and the coves of Stonedam island, then the small coves in the middle of Bear Island, the passage between Pine Island and Meredith neck, Becky's garden and under the Black Cat bridge, then see the big boat house on Swallow point, anchor and see the eagles on Blueberry island, then maybe five mile island. Stop at Braun Bay to see the drunks, then under the LI bridge, around the back of LI to East cove to anchor or go through the Hole in the wall. Stop by Ragged island dock or anchor off the beach for a break. Swing around the other side of Cow in that nice cove then down to Winter harbor for Johnson's cove. Then buzz down by Wolfeboro, wave to Mitt and check out the cove behind Worcester Island. If you are brave go near the rocks for nice spot in the middle of the Varney islands. Sneek out behind Barndoor and try anchoring in Bickyard cove, noticed boats there for the first time last week. Go across the Broads and try the old faithful West Alton sandbar, the north side is always open. Then up the lake, sometimes it's fun to anchor in front of Ames farm, Samoset or Ellacoya, always lots of fish at the drop off. Next explore Smith cove, my weekend home and the best views of the ugliest marina in the lake. Or go around Varney point and anchor off the Gilford town beach always a good breeze and boat wakes. Continue on past the Witches, down behind GI, a lot of people hang out in the cove near the bridge. Under the bridge and your back to the Weirs.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Jonas Pilot

That should take an hour or two.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbsracingengines View Post
We have been camping at Long Island Bridge for about 15 years now. I always wanted to make the trip from there up to Greens Basin. Its a relatively long ride from there especially with my slow pontoon. This year I did it finally. It certainly is a great boat ride. Some interesting navigating to get there. I chose to go the short way inside Nineacre and Spectacle Islands instead of out and around Whortleberry Island and through the Graveyard. A little tougher to navigate but definitely worth it.
That's a fun ride.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #16
Little Vixen Is

Actually some areas have 150' rule for mooring. Just this year Brickyard has 150' rule and think Braun bay has something too. If you have enough money you too can get your shore protected.
Little Vixen Is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
ApS

A recent issue of The Laker has a popular sandbar featured.

I think I've been there, but it didn't look like this!
Attached Images

ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
Jonas Pilot

Default Can you believe that!

There is an ultralight flying over them!