Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2004, 09:27 AM   #1
sunsation dave

Default help picking a gps

hello
their was a old topic on gps for winni with bizers c map
what is the best gps color to buy and load the c map into it. i am new to the lake any want a 6 or 8 inch gps color. to help me learn the lake.
any info will be very helpfull.

thanks
sunsation dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:19 AM   #2
jrc

Default four least expensive color

Standard Horizon CP155c
Navman 5500
Interphase V6
Sitex Colormax 6

There are internal and external versions of each. Each cost $600-800, if you shop around. Check the archives for opinions. Check the link for a complete list.

http://www.c-map.com/productinfo/NT+...s/Partners.asp
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
PHDIII

Default Navman GPS

I recently purchased a Navman 5500i (internal antenna) and a C-Map chip of Winni. I paid $600 and $89. respectively via internet purchase . We were on the lake all last week and the system worked flawlessly. I think the extra money to get the color version was well worth the investment.
Having the unit onboard reduces the "pain in my ear".
PHDIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
sunsation dave

thanks everbody

hey phd lll

is the 5500 a hand held or a dash mount with a fixed antenna
my dealer sells the std horizon for 700 5 in screen color
but you have to mount a antenna
did you put on a antenna

thanks
sunsation dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
PHDIII

Default Navman GPS

The Navman 5500i has an internal antenna which is just a small cone shaped bump that sticks up from the top of the unit. There is no connection to make and no extending the antenna...completely built-in. You can mount the unit on an adjustable bracket which comes with the package or you can hold it in your hands. The mounting bracket is not especially versitile, but it is quickly disengaged for storage, etc. My particular application requires that I stow the GPS when docked, as it would be easy for someone to walk off with it. I have the bracket mounted to the (open) glove box door so that the unit mounts on a horizontal surface. This allows me to rotate the unit so either the driver or passenger can see the screen. When I take the unit off the bracket the door can be closed.
One more thing...the buttons are quite large and simple to use. This is very helpful when in rough water; those buttons jump around when you're in choppy water.
Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2004, 12:48 PM   #6
DanP

Default Internal vs External Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHDIII
I recently purchased a Navman 5500i (internal antenna) and a C-Map chip of Winni. I paid $600 and $89. respectively via internet purchase . We were on the lake all last week and the system worked flawlessly. I think the extra money to get the color version was well worth the investment.
Having the unit onboard reduces the "pain in my ear".

PHDIII -- I am going to purchase either the 5500i or the 5500 with external antenna. I'd rather have the internal for ease of installation, but somewhat concerned about where I plan on mounting the GPS. It is going to be on the right hand side of the dashboard -- the windshield/frame might provide some interference. Also, interested where you purchased yours from and at what price. I'm inclined to buy online and save a $100 from local stores. Your thoughts?
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:02 PM   #7
Charlie T

Default buying on line

I'm a big advocate of buying locally. Support your local merchant.
Do you think that for one second that the internet seller you buy from is going to take care of you if you have any problems. Chances are the person (or pixel) on the other end of the line knows as much about the particular product you are buying as you know about the current weather on the moon. If you buy it mail order you pay freight to get it to you. If it doesn't work when you get it, you get to send it back ( at your expense) and get a new one, eventually ( pay the freight again). When you don't know how to operate it, or have a question on installation do you think the on line retailer will give you the time of day? If you are lucky they will have a phone # to give you for the manufacturer. The few bucks extra that buying locally cost are well earned. It cost very little to set up a computer and phone system and then "drop ship" direct from the manufacturer or distributor. The local store, and people that work there cost money, the extra 5 or 10 % it cost to buy locally is earned.
Think of it this way, you are at the lake, its a beautiful Sat. afternoon and your "fastebastat" breaks, last year the local guy who always had 10 of them in stock, all sizes went out of business. He couldn't compete with the "on line guy" who sold them for $49.95, he had to get $54.95 to pay for his overhead and the Sat. afternoon person to sell them to you. Its a shame that he isn't there just when you need him, your weekend is ruined now. Oh well you can take consolation in the fact that you saved a few bucks a couple of times when you bought on the web. After all what's one weekend lost, the boating season up here at winni last 52 weeks. What is that item worth now???
Think about who takes care of you and who doesn't
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:57 PM   #8
PHDIII

Default Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP
PHDIII -- I am going to purchase either the 5500i or the 5500 with external antenna. I'd rather have the internal for ease of installation, but somewhat concerned about where I plan on mounting the GPS. It is going to be on the right hand side of the dashboard -- the windshield/frame might provide some interference. Also, interested where you purchased yours from and at what price. I'm inclined to buy online and save a $100 from local stores. Your thoughts?
Dan,
My 5500i is mounted beneath the windshield and is surrounded by the metal framing. I worried about this as well when deciding on the antenna type but I have absolutey no trouble. This makes it very easy to move from boat to boat.
As for purchase locations online...the Navman was from Anchor Express and the C-chip was from Landfall Navigation.
I also considered the local purchase argument and asked at the Boat/US dealer what their process would be to repair a bad unit....send it back to Navman. The unit does come with a list of world wide service locations, one of which is in NH (Concord or Manchester??)
I have been doing more and more shopping on-line and I find that items are shipped promptly, are in perfect condition, etc. I stick to name brand items and the better known on-line companies. Maybe I'll hit some bad luck but as of now I've purchased boating equipment, powertools, books, electonics,etc. without problems.
I also find that service in the brick and mortar stores has degraded terribly in recent years (maybe its cause and effect?) The sales peerson at Boat/US was clueless when I asked questions about the Navman vs. Standard Horizon.
He also was "out" of the Wesbar trailer lights module I needed. The online trailer store had them in my mailbox in 48 hours...time enough for me to install them for the weekend.
I also am very annoyed with the accusatory security being seen at some of the retailers...a person to check your bags as you leave the store (Sam's, Home Depot), merchandise sealed in anti-theft plastic boxes so you can't look at the product closely (Circuit City). I'm not a thief and I don't appreciate the retailer assuming I am. This is another factor that is driving me on line instead of to my "Local" merchant.
Sorry for venting...the Navman is really a nice device, happy boating!!
Old 07-13-2004, 10:55 AM   #9
DanP

Default Thanks for the reply PHDIII

I appreciate the advise. I'm going with a 5500i.

Regarding the purchase, I would prefer to buy from a local merchant but there is not one that I have found in the Lakes Region. My local stores are in MA and I'll save the $100+ via online unless anyone here has a better suggestion as to local vendors.
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:10 AM   #10
jrc

Some of the chains like West Marine say they will price match an internet price including shipping. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a phone call. If you buy in Mass, you still will have to pay the extra tax versus internet.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote