Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
winnidiver

Default How cold was it where you are?

I had -14.4 for a low here in Moultonborough, this morning.
When I went out this morning I thought the thermometer said 7.2. I did not notice that sneaky little - at first.It was a shock when I opened the door.
winnidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
wifi

Moultonboro bay was -18, Vappi's old turnip patch on Rt 109 was also -18, and the MVSB Center Harbor branch was showing -15 as I drove by around 6AM

The top of the Ossipee's was a low of -2.2, guess we must have had some cloud cover
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
Grady223

Default Mount Washington

At 8:30 last night it was 16 below with a wind speed of 52 mph at the observatory - wind chill calcuates at 54 below - now that's cold!

Here in Bucks County, PA it was 13 degrees when I took the dog out at 6:00AM - that's cold for around here.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
gtxrider

Default A bit warmer here

The thermometer in my truck as a balmy 16 degrees this morning at 7:15 AM... New Joisey is quite toasty compared to New Hampshire.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
hilltopper

At 6 AM, I had +6 degress at the house in Meredith which is at about 820 feet in elevation (roughly 300 feet above the lake). When I dropped down into Meredith, it was -4. It's only the second below zero reading I can remember seeing this Winter season.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
Bear Islander

When I looked this morning it was -11.2 on Bear Island. Now it has warmed up to -3.3
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
fatlazyless

At 6am, it was -18 here in beautifull Waterville Valley, NH, (Altitude without the Attitude(?)). And , it's now warmed up to ten degrees. No wonder the bears around here all like to hibernate!

Tonite at 6:30pm, Ben Kilham, the Bear-Man from Orford NH, and widely seen on the National Geographic and Discovery Channels with his rescued wild bears will present a video, discussion-presentation in the Brookside Room, Waterville Valley town square, just beyond the little post office. Price - free, donations accepted. www.reycenter.org
Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
chipj29

Was -9.5 at my house in Bow at 5:45 this morning. By the time I left for work at 6:30, it had warmed up to -7.2
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952

It was 14 in New Haven this morning. It has now warmed-up to a heat-wave of 24. I'm heading out to Phoenix next weekend.... can't wait to bask in the AZ sunshine!
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #10
KBoater

Wink COLDDD in FL

The cold weather has even reached FL. At 7:00 it was 49 at 11:00 AM 74.
49 is COLDDD in FL. In NH I had my roof shoveled yesterday.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:27 AM   #11
phoenix

81 today in Phoenix. Going to a spring training game
Old 02-29-2008, 12:20 PM   #12
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
81 today in Phoenix. Going to a spring training game
Thanks, thats helpful!

+1.2° At the Weirs this morning, thank god for that lake ice!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
CanisLupusArctos

Default I've never seen this

This morning's low on Black Cat was -17 F. This is the coldest reading since probably about 1994... though my records don't go back that far. I'm relying on memory.

Take a look at the station's graphs on www.blackcatnh.com/weather (scroll the page down.) I've never seen this...

Look right around 7:30 this morning. All the sensors indicated a drastic change in just a few minutes.

All through the night it was getting colder gradually, reaching 3 degrees at midnight (yesterday's low was 2 at 1130 pm.) It wasn't getting cold quickly because we had a wind all night long, generally from the NW. In order for radiational cooling to take place you need to have calm wind so the heat near the earth can just rise up like heat does, and go bye-bye. Wind keeps it from doing that.

All of a sudden, right around sunrise this morning, the wind dropped off to calm. The wind speed graph doesn't show it as well as the wind direction graph... wind direction is clustered around NW all night, then suddenly becomes a fixed line on SE. In clear weather, SE is the 'default' wind direction on the open lake... the fair weather wind. That's what happens when it's calm everywhere else. The SE wind wasn't strong enough to push the wind vane back and forth like the NW wind had done all night long... hence the straight line on the 'wind direction' graph. The NW wind had pushed the vane back and forth, creating a clustering effect on the graph. So the wind was only strong enough to push the cups around but not the vane.

With the wind suddenly at calm, and an arctic air mass in place overhead, suddenly the heat took off skyward and changed places with the cold air at altitude (which is probably what caused what little wind we had, from the SE... it was probably the cold air from aloft falling into the lake's valley.)

You'll see the temperature graph suddenly drop about 17 degrees in just a few minutes.

At the same time, the barometric pressure rises equally fast, in response to cold, heavy air suddenly being thrown on it (in this way, the barometer is like a scale that weighs air.)

If just one graph had done this sudden change, I would've said I had a sensor to fix. But all of them did it, all at the same time... and you all verified the morning's extreme cold in your postings here. At midnight I thought for sure that -7 was about as low as we'd go here - it just wasn't falling fast enough and there was too much wind.

...factoid...
When an arctic air mass is in place but the weather is windy, the cold air is all at altitude (summits.) Calm conditions allow the cold and warm to trade places, like we know they want to (like when you open a window upstairs and feel the draft coming down the stairwell.)

This is what just happened on a large scale here. What's interesting is that it is a real-life illustration of the 'blast freezing' that took place in "The Day After Tomorrow." While what happened in the movie was so big that it's unlikely (Hollywood makes movies not documentaries), many scientists did argue that the science in that movie was theoretically possible... and what just happened here (assuming the weather station itself measured correctly) just illustrates it.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

My friend in Whitefield had 31 below this morning.Yikes!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #15
riverat

Merrymeeting river in alton @7:30AM this morning was -11