Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #101
wildwoodfam

Default Haverhill MA - on the 495 corridor/Plaistow NH line...

Reporting in at 15 degrees - pressure at 29.95, with windswept snow AND sleet - stings the face!! I'd say we have had around or just over 3 inches...though it is blowing around and my measuring may be a bit off. Hard to believe that with the track moving out off Cape Cod that we could make the change over to freezing rain as the TV folks are saying....I am holding out that we will only go to snow AND sleet which it is doing now....that track is critical!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #102
DRH

Default Snowing Hard in West Alton!

It's 7 degs here at 9:00 AM with heavy snowfall. There's about 3" on the ground at this point.

WMUR currently shows the lake straddling a 12" - 18" projected accumulation area and a 15" - 30" accumulation area. Most of the state is under a Blizzard Warning throughout the day.

gtxrider has it right ... the Babes on Sleds seem to have done their job! They'll be out there playing this coming weekend for sure.

Last edited by DRH; 02-14-2007 at 09:49 AM.
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #103
ghfromaltonbay

Default Yee-haw!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRH

gtxrider has it right ... the Babes on Sleds seem to have done their job! They'll be out there playing this coming weekend for sure.
And what's even better, gtxrider, the nephew and I will be there with them!!!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #104
CanisLupusArctos

Default Blizzard Warning!

We have about 5-6 inches of snow on the ground at Black Cat... still in nightclothes, the farthest I've been outside is to lean out the door with a cupful of birdseed for those hungry chickadees et al, so no "real" measurement yet. The rain gauge heater works! (so far...) It was one of my Home Depot jury-rigs to save money, and it's melted 0.34 inches so far this morning. The average rate of fall is 0.10 inch/hour.

Lots of temperature uniformity among stations this morning: Temps are 12 F at Concord, Rochester, and Keene. Laconia is 10. Meanwhile the truly arctic air is just across the river in VT where all stations are 3 F this hour. By contrast Beverly Airport in MA is reporting 28.

The National Weather Service has upgraded the winter storm warning to a Blizzard warning for most of the state of NH including the lakes region. It has been 2 years since I heard those two beautiful words! And I had to go down to Boston to get the brunt of it last time.

For those wondering, a Blizzard Warning means visibility is reduced to under 1/4 mile in heavy snow (falling anew, OR just blowing around without new snow falling)... and winds sustained at 35+ mph for several hours. The Blizzard Warning actually has nothing to do with amounts, but usually a snowstorm capable of producing sustained 35 mph winds (tropical depression equivalent) is usually going to produce a lot of snow. In the midwest where it's flat, blizzard warnings often remain in effect for a day or two after a storm because the wind keeps blowing the snow around, limiting visibility. That would be a "ground blizzard" but if you're trying to drive through it, it's all the same.

Let's hear some blizzard stories - anyone ever gotten disoriented on the Winnipesaukee lake ice in heavy snow? Happened to me in the early 90s.

The Black Cat Island weather station is now online. It finally started uploading after I rebooted the computer (one more time.) The page that's up now is the software's own automated creation so I'll figure out how to customize it later. In the meantime you can view the data at www.blackcatnh.com/weather/index.htm.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #105
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLupusArctos
The Black Cat Island weather station is now online. It finally started uploading after I rebooted the computer (one more time.) The page that's up now is the software's own automated creation so I'll figure out how to customize it later. In the meantime you can view the data at www.blackcatnh.com/weather/index.htm.
CLA,

For the slow guys in the crowd, like me..... The Current Conditions part of that page is generated from your physical equipment on Black Cat and the rest is downloaded from a central server? Is that correct?
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #106
CanisLupusArctos

Default Black Cat Is. Weather

GN (and others wondering,)

The data (temp, wind, etc.) all comes from my weather station, which is wired into my computer, and that sends the info to the internet using the software I bought from ambientweather.com.

The other stuff (sattelite pics, etc.) doesn't come from me. I'm actually still trying to figure out who's producing it (reading the user manual.) I just moused over some of the included links to see what the addresses of the links were (because I was as curious as you are, and I didn't put 'em there...) and it seems a lot of it comes from weather underground (www.wunderground.com.) Looking in the Ambient software's toolbar I see Wunderground has its own drop-down menu, so I'm assuming the suits at Wunderground and the suits at Ambient have shaken hands in a board room.

I'm still exploring this software myself, after lots of hair-pulling trying to get it to work yesterday it finally started working on its own while I was in the shower this morning... so lots for me to figure out -- in between sessions of playing in the snow and polishing my skis, of course.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #107
SIKSUKR

Great idea CLA.Thanks for the weather station on Blackcat.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 PM   #108
GWC...

Quote:
There is also this local data from Varney Point, Gilford, NH

Click on the image below...

http://www.rochlis.com/personal/weather/
Old 02-14-2007, 02:05 PM   #109
Just Sold

Smile Happy Valentines to Snow Lover's and Weather Buffs

CLA love your web cam and weather info. Here in Sandown it is really picking up too. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopo...500&ppuser=628
Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #110
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

The WOLFEBORO CARWASH CAM is actually giving a pretty idea of the snow at the lake. Looks like it's light and blowing around.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #111
christo1

Default Snowfall amounts?

I am looking to ride the sleds this weekend,can anyone tell me how much snow you got up there?
christo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #112
wildwoodfam

Red face Final totals from MASS

Hey everyone - well - I hate to do this - but in the end I was right - - in my earlier post I declared I would not allow for a rain mix and sure enough, Haverhill NEVER turned to anything but a mix of sleet and mostly snow - as a result - 12.6 inches and there is astill a hefty band coming up from the south so maybe we end up with 14" on the 14th! Would be cool!

It stayed very cold here - climbed to 24 at around 4pm (heavy sleet at that time). I'd say we had about 4 inches of sleet mix - plowed at 12noon and then again at 430 and the 430 was sleet - sleet - sleet. Snowing and blowing as I type - gusting to 16 mph on the back deck.

How'd you all do up around that gorgeous lake!!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:03 PM   #113
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo1
I am looking to ride the sleds this weekend,can anyone tell me how much snow you got up there?
I would estimate we have about 12" and it's still snowing here in West Alton.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #114
CanisLupusArctos

Default Storm Log...

Thank you for the compliments on the new weather data with the web cam. GWC, your cam was actually one of several that originally inspired me to this idea - it's one of my favorites.

...Storm Log...

At 9:00 p.m. on Black Cat we passed the 1-foot mark for the snowstorm. There was an average of 12.5 inches in the yard with many places blown down to bare ground by northeast winds that gusted to 39 mph this afternoon. There are other areas of snow drifted over 2 feet. On the lake's new snowpack, the bottom layer is turning to mush like it always does, because the water below the ice is still above freezing and radiating "heat" up.

On land the snow is *not* the perfect western-style powder they're getting in Vermont and NY State. It's not snowball-making snow, either. It has about the consistency of manmade snow from the ski areas. This is due to a brief period of heavy sleet and just a tad bit of freezing rain between 3 and 5 pm. During that time the wind was straight east and introduced just a little bit of the milder ocean air from the seacoast part of the state, but it was short lived.

As the storm moved farther up the coast our winds actually wrestled between east and northwest for a half-hour or so. When the winds were east, sleet and some freezing rain would mix. After a few minutes it would blast out of the northwest and change to all snow again, and repeated the process a few times in the course of an hour.

Around the dinner hour the winds switched into the northwest and stayed, indicating the storm's passing by. A normal winter storm would be over at this point, but this thing is such a strong whirlpool in the atmosphere that it's pulling the snow around to its backside as well. On the strenth of the "whirlpool;" check your home barometers! The pressure here has dropped to 29.05, which is more often seen in the eyes of Category 1 hurricanes.

After a 1-hour lull during the storm's passage, the snow is now back in high gear. For snowfall reports go to this self-updating text report from the National Weather Service:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/products/PWMWRKGYX

There is a link to it and many others like it, at www.blackcatnh.com/weather.

Forecast... Tomorrow should be bittersweet for skiers... on one hand it will be great to cut some freshies in the slopes but getting there will be the issue since blizzard conditions will continue into the early morning (off and on), even after the snow stops falling. Also, tomorrow will be a return to the walk-in freezer we've been living in for over a month now, and winds will howl out of the northwest. If it weren't for the presence of fresh snow, tomorrow and Friday would be good days to hang out in the base lodge.

For the mountains this means more snow because the nearby storm will keep the air unstable and moist enough to wring out more snowflakes from any air current that finds itself riding uphill into the cooler summit air. This should continue into Friday, gradually diminishing.

...UPDATE AT MIDNIGHT...

Woweee, windy. Winds now averaging 15 out of the NW (and blocked by a tree in that direction too) and gusting regularly to 30 mph... increasing. Lights flickering. Temp is headed back into the single numbers within the hour. I just went to use the mouthwash, whose bottle I haven't opened since this time last night, and it actually gave a "hissss" as it opened. That shows how dramatically the air pressure has fallen with this storm so close. Pressure's 29.07 and on the way back up.

Last edited by CanisLupusArctos; 02-15-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #115
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default About 1.9 Yuki's

The kitty litter bucket gauge was a total flop... the wind kept blowing off the snow..

A simple tape measure reading had us at between 13 and 14" here in Gilford Village.

I did try to use the actual Yuki Gauge... but based on his reaction, and for the sake of my relationship with my wife, I decided not to try it.

Name:  Yuki 1.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  37.3 KB
Old 02-15-2007, 12:25 PM   #116
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA
I did try to use the actual Yuki Gauge... but based on his reaction, and for the sake of my relationship with my wife, I decided not to try it.
Steve, have you ever seen "strangers on a train" (I haven't, but it came up on a CSI re-run last night). You know, 2 strangers fix each others "problem" so there's no link to the crime? Maybe I could run the Yuki Gauge and lend you my Sophie C Gauge!

(Whats that dear, no, I'd NEVER put our precious little Sophie kitty out in this type of snow dear. No, not even when she bites my toes in the middle of the night.)

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #117
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default All the cats are in lockdown...

WG

I still don't understand why she won't let me toss the cats into the snow... I bet they would actually really like it.....

PS... you lie... I'll swear to it!

and what's up with the "middle of the night toe biting"..? We had one like that when we lived back in Melrose Mass
Old 02-15-2007, 05:30 PM   #118
DRH

Default A Cold, Windy Day

Today was a sunny but very cold, very windy winter day. The wind gusted to 40+ mph at times.

I took this photo at 4:30 PM, showing the blowing snow out on the frozen lake. It was 14 degrees outside when I took the picture, and I can only imagine the wind chill out at those bob houses (which were unoccupied today!)

Click here for a larger image.

Last edited by DRH; 02-15-2007 at 09:28 PM.
DRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:15 PM   #119
trfour

Default For weather nuts and then some

Being a weather nut – without the (wing) – in front of it – myself , I have to commend CLA, R2B, DRH, our resident lovely Rose and others here for this very informative and interesting thread!!

I believe Rose was our first forum weather forecaster (correct me if I’m wrong) a pioneer if you will, and dearly beloved.>>
>>
Speaking of pioneers, I remember back when all we had was the US weather bureau to rely on for forecasting. In 1951 WBZ-AM radio hired the first meteorologist to broadcast forecasts of weather in the Country; his name, Don Kent. He didn’t have many of today’s computer models or other tools to help him and to use a phrase,“flew by the seat of his pants“ and consistently nailed the forecasts. My very large family relied totally on Don whenever weather was concerned, from a good day at the beach or a nor’easter hurricane, from NS, Vermont, New Hampshire, Mass., Florida and out west as well.>>
>>
I always wanted to call and thank him for helping to keep my family prepared & safe over his long career and this past Tuesday I did. He was so gracious to talk to me, for the better part of forty five minutes, and you would think in his retirement he would be kick’n back and taking life easy, but he told me that on Monday he had been out in the yard burning brush, and while talking to me, was watching no less than three computer screens tracking Wednesday’s storm. He not only gave me his forecast and snow depths for this one, “right on Don “, and hinted about the next Big One!. Part of our conversation of course, was for him to come out here and visit this thread and maybe give us a comment. He said to give him about two weeks.>>
>>
Anyway, thank you all for letting me ramble on here, and keep it coming!!>>
>>
Kudos to you all! >>

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 02-15-2007 at 10:03 PM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #120
CanisLupusArctos

Default Wow!

Trfour, I'm so glad to know that Don Kent is still around, and still doing what he always loved. As a little kid I watched Don Kent on Ch. 4 Boston draw weather systems on a chalkboard map -- and the fact that I'm only 30 (yet I remember TV weather done on a chalkboard) shows how far weather forecasting and presentation has come in a short time. As a teenage weather nut I got to know Barry Burbank, who told me Don Kent had been his own childhood inspiration while growing up in southern Maine. Barry went to college in Massachusetts and has been following Don's footsteps in the Boston TV market ever since. Needless to say, Don Kent has inspired several generations of us weather geeks and New Englanders (for the record, I think every "true" New Englander is at least somewhat of a weather geek by nature.)

DRH, great photo! The light, color, and contrast jump right out at me.

SteveA, thank you so much as always for keeping me entertained with "Yuki vs. the snowstorm." The first photo a couple weeks ago should be a greeting card, and this most recent one pretty much puts the Valentine's Blizzard into perspective! Given the previously discussed Yuki scale it sounds like you had a Y2-level snow event there in Gilford Village! Purrhaps Yuki will someday get to meet Nin, the Mount Washington Observatory's cat.

For anyone wondering what the NH snow tallies were, here's the report from the National Weather Service. Center Harbor was my report.

NEW HAMPSHIRE

...BELKNAP COUNTY...
CENTER HARBOR 14.4 829 AM 2/15
GILFORD 10.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
TILTON 7.8 820 AM 2/15

...CARROLL COUNTY...
NORTH CONWAY 17.0 728 AM 2/15
SOUTH CHATHAM 15.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
MADISON 14.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
CONWAY 13.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
WOLFEBORO 10.5 655 AM 2/15

...COOS COUNTY...
GORHAM COMMON 28.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
DIXVILLE NOTCH 24.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
PINKHAM NOTCH SCENIC 23.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
COLEBROOK 22.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
COLUMBIA 22.0 712 AM 2/15
TWIN MOUNTAIN 22.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
ERROL 20.0 750 AM 2/15
TWIN MOUNTAIN 19.5 750 AM 2/15
LANCASTER 19.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
WHITEFIELD 18.0 1145 PM 2/15

...GRAFTON COUNTY...
LISBON 21.0 750 AM 2/15
LOST RIVER 20.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
FRANCONIA NOTCH 19.5 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT
WOODSTOCK 17.0 900 AM 2/15
WEST CAMPTON 11.0 730 AM 2/15
PLYMOUTH 10.0 500 AM 2/15 NH DOT

...MERRIMACK COUNTY...
NEW LONDON 17.0 607 AM 2/15
HENNIKER 12.0 740 AM 2/15
CONCORD 8.3 700 AM 2/15

...ROCKINGHAM COUNTY...
EPPING 13.0 1130 AM 2/15
NOTTINGHAM 12.5 634 AM 2/15

...STRAFFORD COUNTY...
STRAFFOD 7.5 820 AM 2/15
SOMERSWORTH 7.2 418 AM 2/15

...SULLIVAN COUNTY...
NEWPORT 17.0 930 PM 2/15
SUNAPEE 16.0 338 AM 2/15
WASHINGTON 16.0 708 AM 2/15

And a snowfall map with colors we haven't seen on a snowfall map in a while... (bear in mind this is snow DEPTH, not just the most recent storm.)
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2007, 12:46 AM   #121
trfour

Post Weather Nuts and then some...

Not only is he still around, first of all, I expected to get his answering machine and finding out that he was wintering in Florida! Not Don, he was up to his eyeballs in, like you said, doing what he loves and that is this crazy good O’L New England weather.
The phone only rang once before he answered, and of course I recognized his voice instantly. I was pleasantly surprised during our conversation of his wonderful sense of humor that of course he mostly left out of his broadcasts. I guess we are all more serious when working. Goes without saying, he’s very well educated, chipper, friendly, down to earth and very interesting to talk to. I was thrilled, and he now knows that my family and I love him.

Barry Burbank is good friends with my younger brother and sister in-law, in fact went to their wedding. Small world!

Don did tell me that he doesn’t do E-mail or many phone calls, understandably because he’d be spending all of his free time answering them.

So for now, lets keep our fingers crossed that he will check out this thread, and like you said CLA, he knows he fostered all of us weather nuts, and I’m sure he will be proud of you.

PS, On a snowy day, if you look just right you will see the smile of the great spirit high in the Ossipee's!
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 02-16-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: To add a photo
Old 02-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #122
Rose

Default Don't know

I'm not sure if I was the first or not, but thanks for your kind words. They're much appreciated.

I think it's awesome that you called Don Kent!!! He always seemed so gracious on air...nice to know he's the same in real life.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #123
SIKSUKR

Don Kent was is my all time favorite Weatherman,hands down.I loved watching him draw the lows and highs and wind direction on the weather board.He was paired with Jack Chase on WBZ for what seemed like 25 years.He just made you feel real good listening to him.Glad to hear he's doing well.Does he still have that same accent?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #124
trfour

Smile

Hi SS,
About Don’s accent, no mistaking who your talking to, that one of a kind voice, as is he. He was teamed with, and very apropos I might add, some of the most talented and entertaining people in the world! I’m adding a link for all of those history buffs out there.
>>
http://www.wbz1030.com/pages/3721.php >>

And my dear Rose, you are so eloquently modest, and a gem!
>>
CLA; It is a God send in having a specifically customized weather station for us here in the Lakes Region, brilliant!

Last edited by trfour; 02-17-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:57 PM   #125
CanisLupusArctos

Default Good to see the Great Spirit smiling

The lake looks so much better with all that bright white snow on it. All-natural remedy for SAD if you ask me.

For those who were asking earlier (Such as Gatto Nero), the time-lapse Java animation of the Valentine's Day Blizzard of 2007 is now online. It starts with the red sunrise on the 13th, skies cloud up during the day, then follows the storm through the 14th and ends after showing sunrise and lots of blowing snow on the morning of the 15th.

I should warn you, there are 460 images that are programmed to pre-load before the animation starts. Otherwise, Enjoy!

www.blackcatnh.com/blizzard2007

For future reference, major weather events and any other phenomena I deem worthy of a saved animation will be posted on www.blackcatnh.com/archive.html.

CLA
Old 02-16-2007, 11:53 PM   #126
JTA

Fabulous! I'm really enjoying your webcam work!!
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #127
CanisLupusArctos

Default Thank you

Thank you, JTA, trfour, and others for all the encouragement on the weather & webcam stuff. I'm so glad you enjoy it.

Last night I made some cosmetic changes to the weather page and the webcam page. There are probably a few more changes to come, depending on what kind of inspiration I get.

Now for all who can't be here to witness winter on Winni, here's a video I recorded yesterday, for your meditation and relaxation. It's not exciting, nor is it meant to be. It's 9 minutes long and is good for unwinding - listen to the wind howl, the birds chirping, see the snow blowing and drifting, and concentrate on breathing deep & slow! You might even cue up some piano solos in your CD player while you watch - I didn't dub it in for reasons of copyright. Enjoy!

http://www.thesilentforest.com/Winni...eWinterDay.wmv
Old 02-17-2007, 10:57 AM   #128
Silver Duck

Fabulous! Thanks a million for that!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #129
Hermit Cover

Thumbs up Thanks..

Is the Winnie Web the greatest...or what? If I could carry a tune I'd sing more praises for all that goes on on this site. Thanks for the short film....I just sent my son the link so he can appreciate what this winter at Winni is all about....Oh, by the way, he and his family live in Phoenix and he gets to drive two plus hours to Flagstaff to maybe see some snow in the "Winter"....He summered of the big lake in his youth but has yet to experience a winter on Winni. If there is an award for really great websites....this www should win hands down!!!! Thank you, thank you!!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #130
Weirs guy

We just came in from a few hours on the lake in beautiful conditions! 32 degrees, light wind, sunny. What a great day out there, and not a lot of people around either.

I did try to get the Sophie C Gauge out to check the ice thickness, but the auger seems to have scared her away. I bet she leaves my toes alone tonight though...

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #131
Grant

CLA --

Thanks for the video. I was supposed to be up there this weekend, but events and schedules conspired against me, so this was a nice scratch for my itch. And the time lapse from last evening's sunset was spectacular. Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #132
CanisLupusArctos

Default Glad you all enjoy the images!

... and I did notice last night's sunset series on the WeatherCam. I saved the best one for the gallery and let the rest get auto-deleted the next day.

Here's a tip for "Winni-WeatherLand:" Use Gatto Nero's Black Cat Island Cam and the Bear Island Cam to watch for storms approaching, and then use mine to watch them leave.

The Black Cat Island Cam faces SW and will show the approach of any winter weather system coming up the coast (the same systems will overtake my cam from the right).

In summertime the most freakishly violent thunderstorms usually come from the SW, in GN's cam view. All "normal" squalls come from the NW, in the Bear Island Cam's view (which is right nearby). Once the weather is upon us, you can watch it in any of the cams, and when it starts to move out my cam will show it leaving and let you know when the coast is clear again.

Of note today: The temperature on Black Cat hit 33 degrees, thus ending 34 consecutive days below freezing.

Now wasn't today's weather spectacular or what?? Who went skiing today? How are the conditions now? Anyone playing hookie this week to ski some more? Looks like the extreme cold pattern may be trying to change for the end of the week and become more normal for late February. Should make for some great ski days.

Last edited by CanisLupusArctos; 02-18-2007 at 12:19 AM. Reason: New info
Old 02-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #133
SIKSUKR

Thanks CLA for your hard work on the weather station cam.I was at Cannon skiing and the snow was good.The crowds were awfull though.Went thurs after the big snow and had a ball.Sat.was a nice mostly sunny day at Cannon but sunday brought kind of a freakish snowfall.We were forcast to get a little snow Sunday afternoon\night but it snowed like crazy Late Sunday morning/midday and we ended up with 6-7 inches!Nice surprize.Huge crowds again though.I would never take time off to ski this week (Mass school vaca)unless you like lots of company.At least the Mt is making some money.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #134
CanisLupusArctos

Default Crowds... crowds...

That's right, thank you for reminding me it is Mass. School vacation week - not a good time to be on the slopes! Maybe I will stay home this week! That's OK, looks like each day this week will bring a few more inches of snow to the slopes and by later this week the arctic-cold pattern will be changing to something more comfy for skiing.

I did see someone XC-skiing on the lake ice today, as winds gusted over 50 and temps were around 10. My station's readings of wind can usually be multiplied x2 for an "out on the lake" estimate, at least when winds blow from the NW like they are today. They have to come across a good portion of the island before they reach my instruments, meanwhile I look out beyond the protected shoreline zone (extends out about 100 feet) and see clouds of snow tearing along at about the same speeds as sport fishing boats on a calm summer dawn.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:59 PM   #135
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Great Idea!
I check the Weirs Beach Weather web site almost every day. I like to track the weather conditions in the lakes region. Now I can check your thread also! Thanks,
moose tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #136
CanisLupusArctos

Default Quiet, normal week until Friday

After five weeks of temps far below normal preceded by five weeks of temps far above normal, the Lakes Region is finally having normal wintertime temperatures.

The island reached a stunningly warm 38 degrees yesterday with almost 100% of possible sunshine... clouds from today's national-headline storm began to move in late in the day.

No snow has fallen here, though snow advisories remain in effect for Cape Cod. With such strong sunshine (the spring equinox is just over 3 weeks away) the snowpack from the Valentine's Day storm is taking quite a hit each day. The snow atop the lake ice has become wind-packed by recent winds over 40 mph, and is now almost ice itself. As a result it will last longer than the fluffy stuff on shore.

Will one snowstorm be it for the 2007 season? Not if Friday predictions hold true. The models are showing a storm coming out of the Rockies and moving to the Great Lakes, a track that would normally spell rain for New England and early death for the great ski conditions we had to wait so long for this year... but the storm is expected to transfer its energy to a new center off the coast. The counterclockwise flow around the new storm would suck down some more cold air and overtake the southerly component of the counterclockwise flow around its parent system to our west. This would result in snow for most of the area, though there will be warm air available just to the south, so mixed precip is possible too. Stay tuned.

Lake Winnipesaukee at 1 p.m. EST - Broken clouds, 31 F.

Godthaab, Greenland at 6 a.m. EST - Moderate rain, 37 F.

**Early reminder to set clocks AHEAD on Sunday, March 11. The new Federal energy bill goes into effect this year with early Daylight Saving Time... lasting into early November instead of late October. The energy bill was passed in 2005 and aims to reduce power consumption during the evening hours, when most power is typically used. Late sunsets tend to keep more people outside, allowing many household power-consuming appliances to take a break. On the flip-side, it will become harder to get up for work if you're someone who needs sunlight to get going in the morning. This has the potential to have health effects as well, since 7 pm sunsets in March may lure many outside for regular exercise they might not otherwise pursue until later in the spring. I wonder how our ski areas may react to the new daylight schedule. Will they open later in the morning since ski patrols need a chance to check the trails for hazards (in daylight) first? Will they stay open until an hour or so before sunset (which would be 6 pm) like they usually do?
Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 PM   #137
Gatto Nero

Welcome back CLA, I've missed your reports over the past week. You certainly are correct about the recent winds. I have no way to measure the wind speed but it was nuts on my side of the island this weekend. I don't think the wind ever stopped from Thursday night through Saturday night. I now have a 6' snow drift in front of my place on the south side of a peninsula. The wind carries the snow over the peninsula and drops it just on the other side. I made the mistake of leaving the sled on the ice overnight on Friday. By Saturday morning it wouldn't start so I opened the hood and found the entire engine compartment hard packed with snow. It even got through the air filter and into the air box.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:12 PM   #138
CanisLupusArctos

Default Crazy winds and drifting snow

Ah yes, the winds on your side of the island would be great to measure! I measured a peak of 33 mph from the NW. The previous day was 31 mph, also NW. Winds from that direction have to come over a quarter-mile of island space (trees, etc.) before reaching my sensors, so I would guess that adding 10 mph would be accurate.

My readings were in the ballbark of Laconia's, but the airfield offers a lot more friction to wind than our water/ice does (hence the reason hurricanes lose windspeed when over land.) The most accurate way to measure might've been to use a radar gun on the blowing snow out on the lake. It looked like it was doing 40-50.

To see daily records that are automatically updated by the weather station, go to http://www.blackcatnh.com/weather/noaamo.txt

That's interesting how the wind packed snow into your sled's openings. I haven't seen that kind of drifting behavior in too many other places other than Mount Washington where I've volunteered a few times in winter. The slightest little draft in a window or a door up there allows snow to come through and form a drift on the inside. It also beats the summit's snowpack into a hard, dense, "wind-pack" that looks rippled and swirly like whipped cream when you take the cover off for the first time. We're seeing that on the lake this year.

Mmmmmm, whipped cream... donuts... D'oH!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:47 PM   #139
Rose

Default Another annoying storm from a forecasting viewpoint

Quote:
Will one snowstorm be it for the 2007 season? Not if Friday predictions hold true. The models are showing a storm coming out of the Rockies and moving to the Great Lakes, a track that would normally spell rain for New England and early death for the great ski conditions we had to wait so long for this year... but the storm is expected to transfer its energy to a new center off the coast. The counterclockwise flow around the new storm would suck down some more cold air and overtake the southerly component of the counterclockwise flow around its parent system to our west. This would result in snow for most of the area, though there will be warm air available just to the south, so mixed precip is possible too. Stay tuned.
Oh for the days when we got snowstorms that were all snow. I just took a peek at the 12 UTC (0700 EST) run of the medium/long-range Canadian model. The redevelopment occurs inland (central PA) and the warm air makes it north of the US/Canadian border...mostly rain after a start of wet, sloppy snow. The US medium/long-range model shows the low developing on the Jersey coast, running over southeastern Mass to the coast of Maine. This would bring conditions similar to the Valentine's Day storm.

Stay tuned. I should be bald by the end of the winter. I'm glad I don't forecast for a living.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #140
Resident 2B

Default Looks like a wet one to me.........

After looking at the models, I agree completely with Rose.

We look to be on the warm side of the first significant low. There are hints at a second low either redeveloping off the coast or following behind the first low that could pass near the benchmark. If so, that will pull in some cold air and be more white than wet either at the end of the first storm or later in the weekend. Still need to see some more model runs to verify this.

As with all forecasts, time will tell. This is (or these are) still several days away.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #141
CanisLupusArctos

Default Model links?

Just curious, where are you looking at the non-US models? I'd like to include a link in my model links page (and have a look at them.)

Here's tonight's discussion out of Gray:

WED NIGHT AND THU WILL FEATURE WEAK
RIDGING...AND GENERALLY DRY WX...WITH SEASONABLE TEMPS. NEXT
SYSTEM ARRIVES THU NIGHT...AS 500 MB CLOSE LOW CROSSES THE GREAT
LAKES...ANS STRONG MID-LVL WAA DEVELOPS...WHICH SHOULD AT LEAST
GIVE ME/NH A SHOT OF SNOW THU NIGHT INTO FRI MORNING. MANY QUESTIONS REGARDING DEVELOPMENT AND TRACK OF COASTAL LOW STILL REMAIN...FOR FRI/FRI NIGHT...SO HAVE KEPT THINGS SIMPLE WITH A MIX NEAR THE COAST....AND ALL SN ELSEWHERE. ONCE SYSTEM PASSES...LOOKS LIKE
BELOW NORMAL TEMPS THRU THE WEEKEND.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:04 AM   #142
Resident 2B

Default Non-US Models

CLA,

I see them on the Accuweather Professional site. There is a subscription fee involved, so I do not think you can link to them.

R2B
Old 02-27-2007, 07:50 AM   #143
Rose

Default A couple of sites

I like Penn States e-wall (oh, for the days of ripping weather maps and hanging them on the wall):

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/ewall.html

If there are issues with the e-wall site, then I go directly to the Canadians:

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/charts/index_e.html
Old 02-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #144
Resident 2B

Default Thanks!

Rose,

Two great weather sites!

Best Regards,

R2B
Old 02-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #145
CanisLupusArctos

Default Model links

Rose and R2B, thanks for the great links to the model sites. I'll check those out. Now if I could find a model of the 2-footed variety...

In the meantime, I just feasted my eyes on this:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAY ME
338 PM EST TUE FEB 27 2007

...SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM POSSIBLE THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY...
A POWERFUL STORM IS EXPECTED TO TRACK OUT OF THE GREAT PLAINS
THURSDAY AND INTO THE GREAT LAKES THU NIGHT. THIS STORM WILL THEN
BEGIN TO WEAKEN AS IT MOVES EAST ON FRIDAY. HOWEVER...AN AREA OF
LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST FRIDAY
MORNING...AND MOVE NORTHEAST DURING THE DAY ON FRIDAY. THIS
COMBINATION OF STORMS COULD BRING A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL TO THE
REGION THU NIGHT AND FRIDAY.
THE PRECIPITATION WILL START AS SNOW THURSDAY NIGHT...BUT IT IS
POSSIBLE THAT ENOUGH WARM AIR WILL WORK IN ALONG OR NEAR THE COAST
TO CHANGE THE SNOW TO SLEET OR RAIN DURING THE DAY ON FRIDAY.
STILL...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF SIX INCHES OR MORE WILL BE POSSIBLE
BEFORE ANY CHANGEOVER OCCURS. FURTHER INLAND...WHERE THE
PRECIPITATION WILL REMAIN AS SNOW...HIGHER ACCUMULATIONS ARE
POSSIBLE. ANY PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO END FRIDAY NIGHT.
PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR GO
TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/GRAY FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS WEATHER
SITUATION.
$$

Where's SteveA? Might be good to give his Persian cat an early heads-up! Run, Yuki, run! Go behind the couch, Yuki!
Old 02-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #146
Resident 2B

Default Looking like the Lakes Region is on the line...

With the storm coming on Thursday night and Friday, there will be a significant snowfall in the ski areas north of the lake. We are on the line of where mixing will occur and that line is too difficult to pin point right now. There is over an ince of liquid with this storm and with a mix ration of 12:1 an ince of liquid equals a foot of snow.

I am sure the mountains will have the 12:1 or maybe 15:1 ratio, but I think it might avarage closer to 10:1 or a bit less around the lakes. There just is not enough real cold air around to push the ratio up.

It will start as snow, and it will snow fairly hard Thursday night. Any mixing will be in the Friday morning time frame with colder temps changing any mix back to snow and increasing the snow to liquid ratio at the end of the storm.

Bottom line is winter is still here and it looks like our friend the groundhog was wrong this year.

This is the last day for the Ice Out Contest. Think hard before submitting your guess. Many variables to consider.

What a great time of the year! Enjoy!

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 02-28-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #147
CanisLupusArctos

Default Winter Storm Watch

Winter Storm Watch just issued by National Weather Service-Gray ME for Thursday night through Friday night. From public and NWS forecasts/discussions it appears the all-snow/some-mix line will run through the lakes region. I'm about to take a look at the models.

One thing is for sure at this point- with March upon us, snow isn't sticking around very long on the ground. The sun sure is strong. I don't even need house heat during the day - thermostats off, fire is dead, room is still warm with sun shining in.

More to come....

CLA
Old 02-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #148
CanisLupusArctos

Default Get the flashlight batteries ready

A foot of heavy wet snow is possible Thursday night and most of the day on Friday.

Discussion: The storm heading for us is currently sucking vast amounts of moisture from the Gulf of Mexico, causing a severe weather outbreak in the southern plains. It will move to the Great Lakes tomorrow and will touch off a new storm near the mid-Atlantic coast tomorrow PM.

Model consensus develops the storm around Cape May NJ and takes it between Falmouth and Chatham MA Friday afternoon, then into the Gulf of Maine and on to Nova Scotia by Friday night and Saturday morning. There isn't as much cold air over NH as there was with the Valentines Blizzard but the dominant southerly wind direction we've had at the lake for the last 2 days shifted into the NW around noontime and has been steady 5-15 mph ever since. As a result we were a couple degrees cooler than yesterday's high of 40 F. There is just enough cold air at the surface and available to the northwest of here to support snow for the first several hours of the event before the upper level low to our west brings in warm air aloft... resulting in sleet and freezing rain during the very late morning/early afternoon hours of Friday. As the coastal storm gains strength and moves to the northeast of us on Friday afternoon, cold air will return and change the precip back to snow for 3-4 hours before it ends as snow showers through the night.

As is always the case in New England, the track of the storm is critical and a shift of 50 miles farther inland or out to sea will have a dramatic effect on this forecast in the lakes region.

Looks like around a foot... perhaps as much as 15 inches of snow in the northwestern part of the lakes region and foothills of the White Mountains. Amounts will depend on how much mixing takes place. In any case, the snow will not be the light and fluffy kind we saw on Feb. 14... but the sticky kind known for breaking tree limbs and bringing down power lines. DPW crews can also expect trouble with this kind of snow as it often causes equipment breakdowns. Any mix of sleet or freezing rain will make the snow even more likely to be damaging. With more water content also comes more slippery roads. Anyone traveling to the lakes region on Friday should consider making the trip Thursday instead, or waiting until late Friday night when plow crews have had a chance to clean up. Some secondary roads may remain messy into Saturday morning if crews experience equipment breakdowns or where downed tree limbs or power lines prevent plowing.

Tonight: Clear. Low around 15. Wind NW at 5-10 mph.

Tomorrow: Clear with high clouds moving in from the SW late in the day. High 30-35. Calm wind in the morning becoming east at 5 mph in the afternoon.

Tomorrow night: Cloudy with light snow possible west of Plymouth after 10 pm... after midnight to the east. Snow becoming heavy at times with 4-6 inches by morning. Low near 25.

Friday: Snow, heavy at times. Mixing with sleet and freezing rain after 10 am near Alton and after noontime near Plymouth. Changing back to all snow after 4 pm in Plymouth and after 6 pm in Alton. Additional accumulation 5 to 7 inches. Wind shifting to SE after noontime and into the NE by late afternoon.

Friday Night: Light snow tapering off to snow showers after 8 pm. Wind becoming NW at 10-15 mph. Total snow accumulation 11 to 16 inches with the higher amounts near Plymouth and lower amounts near Alton.

CLA
Old 03-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #149
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Yuki is keeping an eye on the forecasts

Quote:
Where's SteveA? Might be good to give his Persian cat an early heads-up! Run, Yuki, run! Go behind the couch, Yuki!
CL

Fear not.. Yuki pays close attention.. and has all his hiding spots picked out.

Name:  Yuki 1.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  14.0 KB Name:  Yuki 2.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  16.8 KB
Old 03-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #150
Resident 2B

Default The Storm of the Winter!

Just checked the latest models and conditions and things look a bit colder than they did yesterday, so mixing in the lakes region is now only a slight possibility. The storm is also a bit wetter than I thought yesterday, so with it a bit colder and a bit wetter, the snow will be deeper.

I expect 18" in Laconia, with a bit more in the mountains by Saturday morning. This is based upon a liquid estimate of 1.3" with a mix ratio of 15:1 for Laconia. The mountains could see more than 2' with lifting and a higher ratio enhancing the snowfall. Steve A, this will be too much for Yuki!

This looks like the biggest storm in the last two years for the area, based upon with I am seeing right now.

This is likely to keep the rather think ice in place longer into the spring. The snow reflects a lot of the sun's heat, and as CLA points out, the sun is getting much stronger. Considering everything, I expect a late April ice out.

Time will tell!

R2B
Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #151
CanisLupusArctos

Default The second Y2- Y3 storm of the season?

R2B is in the ballpark with what the public forecasts are now saying. I haven't had time for more than a quick look at the models this morning but I did see that they were trending colder with more snow/less mix. That definitely would be too much for Yuki but that's why we have the Yuki scale!

What's INCREDIBLE is how much water and wind this storm is dropping all over the country. It's already one of the top stories on MSNBC News. Also I haven't seen the SPC (storm prediction center - www.spc.noaa.gov) issue such a large "HIGH RISK" area in a LOnnnnnng time - but they're doing it now across the south. For those who don't know, a "slight risk" generates the spotty severe weather we usually get here in New Hampshire. A "moderate risk" generates a round of tornadoes that makes the national nightly news headlines. A "High risk" scenario is something that meteorology grad students write their thesis on, several years from now.

If you know anyone living down in the high-risk area, it's a good time to give them a call.

Here, have a look....

The large blue box is a severe thunderstorm watch, and the red boxes are tornado watches. Red and blue dots are reports already received of tornadoes (red) and severe thunderstorms (blue). The other warnings are listed on the map, by county.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #152
Rose

Default More conservative

My gut is telling me there's going to be too much warm air with this storm to garner huge snowfall totals. Not that this will be a minor storm, but I think 8-12" will cover most of the Lakes Region.

If I'm wrong, I'll blame that feeling in my gut on the enchiladas and margarita grande that I had for lunch at the Border Cafe.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:35 AM   #153
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
My gut is telling me there's going to be too much warm air with this storm to garner huge snowfall totals. Not that this will be a minor storm, but I think 8-12" will cover most of the Lakes Region.

If I'm wrong, I'll blame that feeling in my gut on the enchiladas and margarita grande that I had for lunch at the Border Cafe.
That darned warm air advection was too extreme....
Old 03-02-2007, 08:38 AM   #154
moose tracks

Default Got Snow?

Looking at the web cams, looks about 6" of snow on the ground. Any actual snow fall reports this morning?
Old 03-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #155
CanisLupusArctos

Default Hard to tell...

It's hard to tell how much snow has actually fallen. On Black Cat it's been snowing heavily since about 2:30 this morning but there's barely any on the porch or in the yard.

This is due to the wind that has been increasing out of the east all morning, and is now averaging 22 from the ESE, gusting to 31. Some parts of the yard are blown clear, down to bare earth, while a 2-foot snowdrift lies adjacent. Needless to say the snow is getting abnormally deep wherever it can get out of the wind.

The melted precip for this morning is a scant 0.13 inches. I need to check that for validity because I've been having problems with my rain gauge heater and may need to install a better one. An inspection of the guage will tell me if it's a problem with the heater or if the wind is preventing the snow from resting in the gauge.

It's a much more powerful storm than what hit on Feb. 14 at this location. There is a much steadier wind. That storm produced a very gusty wind with many lulls and one peak at 39 mph... but this one has been a steady wind that's already hit 30+ several times... peaking at 33.

Color-coded radar and surface observations both confirm rain south of Concord. In the last hour heavy sleet has been hitting the east windows here, but at 1 pm there is still plenty of snow coming down. It is blowing and drifting heavily and creating a havoc on the roads.

At last check Belmont was the only town in the Lakes Region above freezing... and the NHDOT stations along I-93 are showing temps actually warmer in Woodstock than in Ashland.

The reason the snow held on as long as it did in the Lakes Region was most likely evaporative cooling... for several hours last night there was snow aloft and the weak moonlight showed it, but there was none in the floodlights down at this level. A Medical helicopter flew over at an extremely low altitude (about 500 feet AGL, 1000 feet alt.) around midnight, serving as an indicator of the level the snow was reaching since they usually fly only when or where they can see. For several hours the snow was evaporating into the air, cooling it the same way your skin feels chilly when water is evaporating off of it. When the air finally became saturated with humidity around 2:30 am, it stopped accepting any more evaporation and the snow was able to reach the ground... but the temperature had fallen well into the 20s.

Still a few more hours left on this storm.

Here's a weather demo you can do in a storm like this: Find a bottle with a screw-cap that becomes air-tight. (Empty Coke bottle should work fine.) Wait for the barometer to bottom out, (or sometime this afternoon) and close it up. Wait for the barometer to rise back up again (tomorrow, or better yet Tuesday when we'll see some arctic high pressure come back in here) and it should hiss when you open it.

CLA

Last edited by CanisLupusArctos; 03-02-2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #156
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Storm Total Gilford

We ended up with about 16" of new snow. Lot of drifting. Total on the ground now is just about 24"'.

Name:  snow 3-3-07 1.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  6.5 KB

The garden is now patiently waiting for the March Sun to go to work on Mother Natures latest masterpiece.

Name:  garden 3-3-07 1.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  13.9 KB
Old 03-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #157
moose tracks

Smile Nice!

Great shots of the new snow! Thanks.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #158
Resident 2B

Default Cold, Cold, Cold

Wow! It is going to get COLD! VERY COLD for this time of the year.

This week will feel more like mid-winter than most, if not all, weeks in January. Low temps should get down below zero two or three nights in a row starting Tuesday night, with wind chills tonight in the -20 or lower range. Big winds starting late this afternoon and continuing for a few days that could impact safety out at the bob houses.

Warm-up for Friday, which will be very welcomed. Not sure how long it will last. No big storms in sight.

Even though we are now well into March, with the strong sun that comes with March, I believe the ice will build this week, not melt. This could be setting us up for a very late Ice-Out.

Stay Warm!!

R2B
Old 03-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #159
fatlazyless

Ten below with blustery gusts, here in Waterville Valley, and the Varney Point Cam says four below. Pretty cold for 9:45am. Got to be cold on that chairlift, today.

No matter what the weather, there's always the Weather Channel!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #160
mg2107

Guess March is pay back month.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #161
CanisLupusArctos

Default Record Cold

Hard to believe this is March.

This morning Black Cat Island has recorded its lowest temp of the winter season to date, -7 F. This beats January 26 which had a low of -5. Today, like January 26, has featured temps remaining below zero during daylight hours. At 1 p.m. the temperature is hovering around -1. On January 26 we topped out at just 4 degrees above zero and it does not look like this afternoon will be even that warm. However, our high for the day has already been established at midnight, at +8.

This afternoon's wind, averaging 10 mph and gusting to 18, is creating a chill factor of -17 for any exposed skin. This morning saw the day's peak gust of 49 mph at 6:22 a.m.

I agree with R2B - The ice will be thickening this week. Its new snowpack, which slushified in the weekend's temps, has now re-frozen and will be much slower to melt when it the weather warms up again. It continues to reflect the sun's light rather than absorb it. Last week I took a flight with Dave Emerson who also speculated on a later-than-average iceout this year, but added that the sun needs only a small portion of bare ice to weaken, or exposed rocks to heat, and the wind will rip that hole bigger with time.

Here are a few images from the flight, from The Broads/Rattlesnake, one of Wolfeboro, and another of Center Harbor down to 3-Mile. They were taken Thursday, as the snowstorm was moving in. The ice is a lot whiter now. The only water we saw was around people's dock circulators.

CLA
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2007, 03:17 PM   #162
DRH

Unhappy Cold ... and Windy!

It was -7 degs here at 7:30 this morning and the highest temp. we've reached today is 0 degs, which has held steady now for most of the afternoon.

But the wind is the other story. We're getting sustained winds of 30 - 35 mph, with frequent gusts from the mid-40s to 50 mph. The strongest wind gust our weather station has recorded today is 51 mph, and that speed has been reached 5 times so far this afternoon. Our location has direct northwest exposure over the frozen lake, so there's nothing to slow down the wind before it hits our house.

According to the National Weather Service's wind chill chart, at 0 degs F with sustained winds of 30 - 35 mph, the wind chill is averaging around -27 degs!

Not a good day to be outside.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #163
Resident 2B

Default Baby, its DRY outside!

This is amazing weather!

I know the wind has a painful bite, but weather extremes are noteworthy. This is great weather for those of us who like extremes!

The cold and the wind is what we all are aware of. However, the most interesting measure of this air mass to me is the very low, and lowering, dew point. From what I have seen, we are at -24 degrees F and still going down. Very dry for this time of the year. For those photographers out there, this is the time for those very long, crystal clear telephoto shots.

Things look to warm up nicely on Frday and the warmer weather looks to hold for a while. Still not sure if this is winter's last gasp. There might be another dip in tempature starting the 16th or so, but this is not something that is definate.

I need to inform the marina as to when to get the bottom of the boat wet this spring. I usually like to get in early and try to catch salmon, but it looks more and more like a late ice out. Although I like winter, I do not see this as good news.

Stay warm!

R2B
Old 03-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #164
CanisLupusArctos

Default Drier than the Mojave

R2B - good point. This afternoon when I saw the dewpoint of -25 I checked the Mojave Desert weather stations, namely Twentynine Palms CA and Needles CA - both were reporting dewpoints of 7 and 8 degrees. Thier dewpoints are higher than our temperature has been all day. We're drier than the Mojave today!

Motto of the day is "Fun with static electricity!"

UPDATE at 11:00 a.m. Wednesday: Minus 8 F is the new low for the winter season, this morning. Temps are rebounding back to 5 above, and climbing. Winds are relaxing back to 15 mph and under... but we have more coming up for later tonight and tomorrow. Looks like after 1 more day of arctic cold we see a major pattern change. High pressure moves off the coast becoming a "Bermuda high" for the weekend... and then the upper level wind flow becomes more zonal (straight west to east) across the northern states.

Last edited by CanisLupusArctos; 03-07-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #165
trfour

Default Please turn up the heat

Although it was cold at the Lake tuesday...

WHITEFIELD, N.H. -- While cold weather was felt across the state Wednesday, the coldest place in the state was the town of Whitefield.
Temperatures dropped to 33 degrees below zero Tuesday, the coldest the town has seen since January 2004.
"It's cold," said Sue Blackwell, of Franconia. "But no, I don't mind it."
Daytime temperatures did rebound somewhat from the overnight low, but it was still too cold to let children play outside at Whitefield Elementary School.
"We kind of changed the way we bring kids in in the morning and let them out at night," Principal Ellen Turcotte said. "We make sure their coats are zipped and hats and mittens are on, and the buses pull up right to the school."
Even inside the school, teachers and students assigned to the Literacy Intervention Center used blankets, boots and scarves to keep warm from the cold coming in from the windows.
"This is a very cold spot," teacher Cate Diblasi said. "My fellow teachers and I stay warm in our blankets."
The cold weather was expected to continue Thursday, with highs in the mid-teens. But milder weather is in the forecast for the weekend.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #166
CanisLupusArctos

Default One more day of arctic cold

Going by today's temp/dewpoint/pressure/wind graphs, it appears the latest arctic front passed Black Cat around 8:00 this morning. Just a trace of snow fell from the snow squall. Prior to the frontal passage temps reached their lowest level of the winter once again, this time bottoming out at -9. While the air warmed a bit during the actual frontal passage, the cold air behind it is now working its way in. The dewpoint is once again retreating back to the -20 level. Winds have picked up quickly during the morning hours and gusts are nearing the 40 mph mark for the second time this week.

Looks like a pattern change this weekend. Since late January the upper level winds have put us in the path of air coming right down from the Yukon and James Bay Canada. Beginning Saturday, just in time for the new (early) Daylight Saving Time, it looks like the pattern will become more zonal (straight west to east) across the northernmost US States. That usually favors normal temps or even slightly above normal... and any storms on that track are usually moisture-starved and hauling right along.

With the 90+ air beginning to show itself in the SW desert and the arctic cold still nearby, it could make for some interesting battles in the month ahead.

CLA
Old 03-09-2007, 02:27 PM   #167
Resident 2B

Default Spring Ahead and let the Ice-Out Process Begin!

Although we are a long way away from Ice Out, the melting process will begin this weekend. We should see normal to above normal temps for the next week, followed by below normal, but not real cold, temps the following week.

With the strong and getting stronger March sun, I expect to see the lake water temp start to climb, thus beginning the "big melt". This is a long and slow process, but it has to start sometime, and that time is finally at hand.

Spring is ahead and with the shift of daylight savings time this year into mid-March, it will really feel like spring next week.

Get the grills out and enjoy!

R2B
Old 03-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #168
SIKSUKR

Default More daylight ?

Ya,and according to some people,with the "EXTRA" hour of daylight because of "daylight savings time"we will have more melting.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #169
rander7823

Default So are back to an "Average" winter yet?

From Dec to Mid January we were above normal temperature wise. From Mid-Jan to just last week we were below average....So have we averaged out yet?
I'll let the experts fill me in with the details
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:04 AM   #170
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default One Yuki equals 7" of snow

CLA - I believe we settled on the following scale.. and he didn't grow anymore from last Feb.

Winni Weather - winter 2007 Thread

Quote:
...There's your solution for measuring snow over Yuki's head! Get that cat a buddy! Then you can measure the snow in Yukies, whereby a snowstorm of Y1 is 7 inches or a "typical winter storm," Y2 = 14 inches or a good dumping of snow, Y3 = 21 inches or a very heavy once-in-a-few-years snowstorm, Y4 = an all-out blizzard of 28 inches, and Y5 = a return to the kind of winters they used to have when everyone's parents had to walk uphill through 10 feet of snow to get to AND FROM school.