Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Seaplane Pilot

Default Kayak Safety Flags

I think it's high time that Kayakers on Winnipesaukee be required to have a safety flag on board. Here's a good one I found on line:

http://www.touringkayaks.com/gear.htm

"Possibly the most important piece of equipment beyond your pfd and paddle." Kayaks and canoes have an extremely low profile – typically 2 ft or less above water - making them hard to be seen in even the best water conditions. This is clearly a major safety problem for everyone on the water, including operators of powerboats, sailboats, fisherman, sea planes, and even other kayaks and canoes.

Kayakers should carry at least some of the burden of safety.

I'm going to contact my state rep and have them submit a bill right away.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-24-2010), chipj29 (07-23-2010), gtagrip (07-23-2010), Martha Marlee (07-28-2010), stingray60 (07-24-2010), topwater (07-23-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
NoBozo

SP I think it makes perfect Common Sense for a kayaker ...or anyone else on the water to protect themselves in anyway they see fit. The problem I have is Making it a LAW. The key here is common sense. The kayaker...and Anyone Else out there has to take some responsibility for their OWN saftey..rather than leave it to Nanny to hold their hand when the going gets rough.

For example, as you know there is NO Requirement for you to carrry a radio in a small plane. Some of the older planes don't have an electrical system to support one. However, every small plane pilot I've met has at least a handheld radio in the cockpit...even though he is NOT Mandated to do so. It's just the Prudent thing to do. Nb
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-28-2012), Mee-n-Mac (07-23-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (07-28-2010), Winnipesaukee (07-27-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Last week

When I came into Alton Bay last week heading to Parker's, we were just inside Sandy Point and saw two kayakers near the bandstand. The reason I saw them from just inside Sandy Point was the fact both Kayaks had orange pennants on about a 4 ft pole. As we passed each other by the bandstand, I thanked them for having and using the flags, and told them how far away I was when I noticed the flags. I would guess he appreciated the info.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Lucky1

One of the reasons I use an orange kayak is to try to be seen. Most of the time I try to stay near to the shore whenever possible.
I may investigate a flag. However, I assume that if a boater hits a swimmer, or a kayaker or sailor or sailboat etc, there will be a legal process. IT IS THE DUTY OF THE BOATER TO MAKE SURE HE IS NOT TOO NEAR AND GOING TOO FAST TO SAILORS, KAYAKERS, SWIMMERS ETC. It is not open season on others in the water so that any boater can do as he or she wishes. No headway speed within so many feet or whatever the different rules are.
Actually, would someone happen to know the rules for boaters regarding other persons and boats etc in the water?
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Body and blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
One of the reasons I use an orange kayak is to try to be seen. Most of the time I try to stay near to the shore whenever possible.
I may investigate a flag. However, I assume that if a boater hits a swimmer, or a kayaker or sailor or sailboat etc, there will be a legal process. IT IS THE DUTY OF THE BOATER TO MAKE SURE HE IS NOT TOO NEAR AND GOING TOO FAST TO SAILORS, KAYAKERS, SWIMMERS ETC. It is not open season on others in the water so that any boater can do as he or she wishes. No headway speed within so many feet or whatever the different rules are.
Actually, would someone happen to know the rules for boaters regarding other persons and boats etc in the water?

I don't find it all that hard to spot kayaks and canoes. Less visible than a boat ... sure, but certainly visible at 1000' or more, assuming the person at the wheel is paying attention. I find that the kayak color helps but only a little. More visible is the persons body and head and especially the blades. Flashy blades, moving*, are very easy to see. If kayakers wore blaze orange (or equivalent) PFDs that would (IMO) be sufficient for all ... except Capt B.

*think of a cyclist with reflectors in the pedals at night. No doubt what they are when you see them. So does anyone make LED paddles for night-time kayaking ???
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
When I came into Alton Bay last week heading to Parker's, we were just inside Sandy Point and saw two kayakers near the bandstand. The reason I saw them from just inside Sandy Point was the fact both Kayaks had orange pennants on about a 4 ft pole. As we passed each other by the bandstand, I thanked them for having and using the flags, and told them how far away I was when I noticed the flags. I would guess he appreciated the info.
It's funny but I saw them also. I was in the car traveling up 11 and mentioned to RG how visible they were out in the bay. I agree with Mee-N-Mac about the various options that kayakers have to make themselves visible. A couple orange blades go a long way to getting noticed.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
OCDACTIVE

How about registration for kayaks, canoes, paddle boats etc? It takes just as much effort for the Marine Patrol to rescue and they have as many rights as power / sail boaters when on the lake... Only seems right, provided it doesn't get moved into the general fund to close the budget gap.. Just IMO.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
robmac

I agree all boats power,sail and paddle should all be held to the same safety and registration requirements. There is no discount in cost to help or save anyone out on the water as safety is paramount. We all need to participate in doing our best to insure we and our families are safe on the waterways of NH. Asking all to pay a fair share is not only fair but responsible. IMHO
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robmac For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (07-24-2010)
Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
stingray60

Default Whitecap Kayaks

We once encountered a group of 6 kayakers who stopped for lunch at Ames Farm as they were touring the Big Lake. Moultonboro to Gilford to Wolfboro was their plan. All had dark colored kayaks. When I looked out at the lake I saw "victory at sea," whitecaps, windy, and turbulent. Didn't seem like a good plan to me but it's not my trip.

Long after the kayakers had left, my son, son-in-law, and I decided to take a short boat ride aboard a 22 foot walkaround cuddy with a large outboard. Good boat; seaworthy; know how to handle it. Everyone wearing a PFD. It wasn't bad inside the point but it got pretty rough exposed in the bay, so I decided to cut past Smith Point, circle around Sleepers and head back to the barn.

As I was making the port turn between Sleepers and Rattlesnake we crested a large wave into a deep trough. Guess who was there? That's right: six invisible kayakers less than two boat lengths in front of me as I'm plowing down the backside, sterns to my bow. I cut hard to starboard, hit the throttle and missed 'em by not very much. Deer in the leadlights look times six.

From that moment on I am convinced flags should be required on tiny craft in big water. A 1,000 feet visibility? Couldn't see them from 50 feet on a clear, sunny day. (Wonder if the six have any clue how lucky they are to be alive today?) Come to think of it, I don't think a 4 foot flag is tall enough for Winni.

Make no mistake about this post. Canoes and kayaks and other tiny craft have as much right to the lake as anyone. I just don't want to make your acquaintance by accident. An ounce of prevention.......

Kudos to Seaplane Pilot for bringing up a topic that's bothered me ever since it happened. Happy boating everybody.
stingray60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I think it's high time that Kayakers on Winnipesaukee be required to have a safety flag on board. Here's a good one I found on line:

http://www.touringkayaks.com/gear.htm

"Possibly the most important piece of equipment beyond your pfd and paddle." Kayaks and canoes have an extremely low profile – typically 2 ft or less above water - making them hard to be seen in even the best water conditions. This is clearly a major safety problem for everyone on the water, including operators of powerboats, sailboats, fisherman, sea planes, and even other kayaks and canoes.

Kayakers should carry at least some of the burden of safety.

I'm going to contact my state rep and have them submit a bill right away.
Seaplane Pilot,
Thanks
Just ordered one. Already have orange Kayak, but Stingray60's encounter in the waves gave me pause as RG loves to go out in the big waves.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

As has been noted the flash of kayak blades is an attention getter. Our visual recognition is keyed to movement and/or changes in intensity or color. The next time you spot a kayak you will probably notice the paddles flash.

Blade color can make a difference however even plain old wood blades flash pretty good when wet and moving. No doubt one of the fluorescent safety colors would be better.

One recent morning heading in from Welch the flash kayak blades got my attention. I then noted the bright color kayak. After getting quite a bit closer I then saw that there was an orange flag on a pole. The flag displayed little movement and was fixed in color and intensity. Even after seeing the boat and the flag, the flashing blades were more prominent.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #12
Lucky1

On the lakes in NH I believe that rowboats, kayaks, canoes, sailboats etc have the right of way? Be on the lookout for them! Can't we all just get along? Watch out for swimmers etc.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #13
Kracken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post

This comment is a very good reason why all boaters including Kayakers, Rowboaters and canoeist should need to take a boaters education class.

Power boaters do need watch out and give way for vessels with limited maneuverability (like a kayak). However, anyone sharing the water needs to take responsibility for their actions. Don’t assume you have the right of way. A power boater running down a kayaker will most likely be legally found at fault, but that would NOT mean much if there were a fatality involved.

We absolutely can get along, but we all need to take responsibility for ourselves our vessels and everyone else sharing the water.
Kracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
Belmont Resident

Default right of way doesn't mean much if your dead

This subject has been talked about a lot and in the end nothing ever changes.
The point about almost hitting the six should hit home.
Why does it take someone getting killed to make people realize that no matter who has or had the right of way if you get killed because you simply couldn’t be seen it’s no ones fault but your own.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
jrc

I never thought kayak visibilty was that big of an issue (except at night) until I read stingray's story. Now I'm thinking about getting that flag.

Usually, I'm a fair weather kayaker, just playing around while anchored out. But Sunday I did get stuck out in the pop-up rain that hit Gilford. The wind picked up for few minutes and there were some good size waves. It was all over in five minutes (except the rain) but it could have been worse. A little extra visibility couldn't hurt. I'm also thinking some bright tape for the paddle blades might help.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #16
topwater

Thumbs up

I totally agree and have always agreed, Kayakers-canoeist-and rowboats should ALL have to pay to use lakes in this state. I also agree that ALL kayakers should have to have a ORANGE FLAG to be more obvious to all, and to make things SAFER FOR ALL. Its not to penalize them, its a SAFTEY ISSUE.
Someone on here must know WHO? and HOW? Do we start a petition? Do we contact our State Rep? What is the proper procedure to get a BILL started to get the state to vote on? We have to start somewhere!
Someone on here must know. Lets all stop talking about it, and start doing something about it!
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #17
ITD

All I can say is the politicians, big government jerks have really won when citizens start cheering and demanding new taxes on other citizens.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #18
chipj29

Default Law? NO. Good idea? YES

I boat a lot on the Merrimack River. There are dozens of kayaks/canoes out there everytime I am out. They generally hug the shore, but they do go out into the middle parts of the river at times. You have to be on the constant lookout for them up ahead.

When going up or down river, one tends to get "tunnel vision". You look around you, but don't have to worry about anything coming up behind you or from the side. So you really watch straight ahead. Once in a while, you get a bit of a scare when you notice that kayak that just up ahead is not so close to shore.

When boating in late afternoon, the sun goes down upriver. That means when heading upriver, the sun is right in your eyes, and the glare off the water is very strong. It is very hard to see anything, let alone a kayak of any color. You have to be real careful.

My point is that sometimes it is extremely difficult to see kayaks (or other low to the water boats) at any time of day. Any increased visibility (ie: safety flag or shiny paddle) is a bonus. I am not suggesting that a law should be passed that requires kayaks to have a safety flag. I am however suggesting that it is a VERY good idea in the name of safety and personal responsibility.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 AM   #19
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
I also agree that ALL kayakers should have to have a ORANGE FLAG to be more obvious to all, and to make things SAFER FOR ALL. Its not to penalize them, its a SAFETY ISSUE.
There are many kayakers that LOVE Nature and who gain great pleasure Getting Close to it. ... ie. sneaking up on it. With big ORANGE flags flying, not only will the boaters SEE them...but Nature will SEE them as well... ie. the Loons, Moose, Bears, and even the totally hated and maligned Geese and Ducks...

SO: The Unintended Consequences of the big orange flag will be that NATURE will be long gone by the time you paddle your butt over to where they WERE.

Another thought: I wonder if a Bull Moose would be inclined to CHARGE at the unarmed kayaker flying a fluttering Orange flag.... like a Bull charging the Red Cape. NB
Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #20
Woodsy

I advocated flags on kayaks along time ago..... but after giving it some thought.... I dont think a law mandating a flag is necessary. It does not help with your rollover recovery in a kayak....

We need to take a cue from the hunters & sportsmen and mandate brightly colored (safety orange or yellow) lifevests to be worn at all times.... this increases thier visibilty as well as thier safety... more people drown in canoe & kayak accidents than anything else...

Canoes, Kayaks & small sailboats should also be required to pay a $10 annual access fee (sticker affixed to bow) for the privilege of using our lakes & rivers... We all have to share the burdens of safety and law enforcement...

Woodsy
Old 07-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
topwater

Another thought: I wonder if a Bull Moose would be inclined to CHARGE at the unarmed kayaker flying a fluttering Orange flag.... like a Bull charging the Red Cape. NB

I blew coffee out of my nose when I read such a foolish comment! I hope that was a shot of humor, because if it wasn't, you DON'T know much about nature. So please don't use that nature agrument... Moose charging a orange flag, LMAO. just plain foolish what some people will say. Yes, I have been hunting for 40 years, seen lots of moose, and after wearing my orange vest, I am still around to tell my woes.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #22
SIKSUKR

Interesting that SP started this thread as I was on Winni Friday and my GF and I were commenting on how hard it was to spot 2 kayaks that were in the middle of the Broads. We were on my PWC and only traveling at 20 mph. I constantly scan for markers and other craft and could barely make the 2 out at 500 ft. There was not a huge swell but both boats would constantly go in and out of view.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #23
Seaplane Pilot

The suggestion of creating a new "law" was slightly tongue in cheek. However, it seems to parallel the methods by which the anti-powerboat (speed, noise, graphics, horsepower, wake, etc.) crowd wants to take control over the lake. Make a new law in hopes some of us will disappear. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm here to stay (with my powerboat).

However, I was dead serious about the use of the flag itself and the fact that kayakers should take much more care in making themselves visible to other boaters. Anyone that disagrees with the need for this type of visible flag on small kayaks and other craft needs to have their real agenda exposed.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #24
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
However, I was dead serious about the use of the flag itself and the fact that kayakers should take much more care in making themselves visible to other boaters. Anyone that disagrees with the need for this type of visible flag on small kayaks and other craft needs to have their real agenda exposed.
Agenda? Well I am a long time power boater and kayaker, safely enjoy each and have lots of experience at each. So that is my real agenda if you will.

As I noted in an earlier post my opinion is that flags are much less effective than safety color paddle blades. However I am not an advocate of establishing a new flag and paddle color police force nor am I an advocate of motor cycle helmets being mandatory even though I wear one.

The flag idea would actually decrease many paddlers ability to self rescue a kayak. Many flat water kayakers, my wife and I included, come form a whitewater kayaking background and have effective and reliable kayak rolls. A flatwater touring kayak rolls slower than a WW kayak and with somewhat more effort. A flag on a mast would make a combat roll very difficult or maybe even impossible.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #25
robmac

I am some what confused. When an option comes up that would help everyone from a safety standpoint paddlers find it a bad suggestion? I would think all boaters would want to work to make the waterways as safe as we can for all that enjoy them. I would think and hope all boaters were wanting and looking for the same thing, a safe and friendly place to coexist on all of our waterways. Perhaps I am wishing but I would think that safety is everyones main concern. Just a thought IMHO.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #26
OCDACTIVE

Great post Rob. I agree fully. We should support actions like this that makes sense. Perhaps a provision that if you are 150 feet from shore then you need the flag. I don't think it is necessary if you are going up a stream that is only 4 feet wide off of a bay.

I also think a $25 fee, useage sticker will go a long way to help raise funds for the navigation fund (provided they do not pilage it again!) It has always been said that paddlers have every right to the lake and voice towards legislation as power boaters, well then they shouldn't have an issue with having to also pay to use it. (I am also a kayaker and a powerboater, just seems fair)
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #27
Winnipesaukee

"Unfunded mandate", my two favorite words to complain about.

And please no more taxes. Boaters should only be "taxed" for the "wear and tear" they cause to the lake. I don't think kayaks need to pay a tax to support the Milfoil Eradication Fight.
sunset on the dock (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #28
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
"Unfunded mandate", my two favorite words to complain about.

And please no more taxes. Boaters should only be "taxed" for the "wear and tear" they cause to the lake. I don't think kayaks need to pay a tax to support the Milfoil Eradication Fight.
Sorry, I disagree. Anyone who uses the lake has an equal voice and equal rights to use the lake. They also are under the protection of the dept. of safety. By paying a useage fee it only seems fair. It takes just as much energy, time, and resources to save a kayaker in the middle of the lake as it does a powerboater. One could argue that the powerboater may even be more prepared due to the amount of safety gear required to be on board.
Jonas Pilot (07-27-2010), topwater (07-27-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #29
Mee-n-Mac

Arrow Safety above all else or ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
I am some what confused. When an option comes up that would help everyone from a safety standpoint paddlers find it a bad suggestion? I would think all boaters would want to work to make the waterways as safe as we can for all that enjoy them. I would think and hope all boaters were wanting and looking for the same thing, a safe and friendly place to coexist on all of our waterways. Perhaps I am wishing but I would think that safety is everyones main concern. Just a thought IMHO.
The question is at least twofold : Is this really a problem that needs a solution, a Govt solution ? ... and are "safety" flags a real answer ?

Frankly I doubt the former. Stingrays experience is one in extreme weather. It's not very often I see kayaks out when it's whitecaps and "Victory at Sea" (a great series though !) conditions. Would we all advocate having to wear PFDs at all times just because sometimes it really makes sense to do so ? In SR's condition it would seem the flags would have made the kayaks more visible though it would depend on the wave depth and flag height. The ones linked to in the OP would seem to be inadequate.

I also wonder about the latter question above. If you can't see the blades, I have to seriously doubt a flag will be any more visible. Or more visible than a brightly colored PFD and/or helmet. Now you could argue that it might not help but it doesn't hurt and that's were most kayakers I've listened to disagree. As said above in this thread having one attached hurts the ability to roll back right. The break-away design in the OP's link seem to try to address this issue but I have to again wonder if that really a workable solution (stays on in wakes and surf, breaks away underwater). But let's say it works, I would still have to ask if this is a big enough issue that "we" want to make kayakers put what I'm sure is a (dorky to them) flag on their boat. Simply saying it's a "safety" issue doesn't cut it, at least for me. Given the boat-boat collisions we've had, where the words "I didn't see him" were used, I could just as well argue that every boat should be glow green or blaze orange in order to enhance visibility. Afterall what could it hurt ... and it might help. So are all of us boaters are set to signup for those colors ? Perhaps safety isn't the main concern afterall but rather exists within a continuum of concerns. Seems to me everyone wants someone else to do something for our safety.

This all said it's at least an issue where the facts could be determined. We get enough good and bad weather and every other condition on the lake to do experiments and find the truth. I won't hold my breath though as that would actually take effort and time.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #30
fatlazyless

Default ....how 'bout a whistle!

Carrying a whistle attached to the zipper pull on the pfd is something I always like to have on a kayak. A whistle is small, easy to carry, and could be pretty helpfull for certain situations. Plus, whistles seem to be heard real good out across the water.

What's the better safety item for kayaking Lake Winnipesaukee, a loud whistle or a cell phone?

Toot....toot....toot.....thought I'd give the whistle a tout here....as long as people are discussing kayaking safety.......toot....toot!

Believe that Florida boating law requires kayaks in Florida to carry a sound making device such as a whistle, as I recall. Plus, a kayaker always has the option of carrying one of those small compressed air horns which are extremely loud.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-28-2010 at 02:48 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #31
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
I blew coffee out of my nose when I read such a foolish comment! I hope that was a shot of humor, because if it wasn't, you DON'T know much about nature. So please don't use that nature agrument... Moose charging a orange flag, LMAO. just plain foolish what some people will say. Yes, I have been hunting for 40 years, seen lots of moose, and after wearing my orange vest, I am still around to tell my woes.
Foolish ...YUP: You may be correct......Maybe I don't know much about NATURE..... Having never Blasted an animal out of his tracks...But I have (in my 69 years) learned something about HUMAN Nature. I find your post confusing. (No Emoticon) ...NB

PS: Just wondering what kind of FIRE POWER you had for Protection against a Moose in your 40 years of.......Hunting..?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #32
fatlazyless

Yesiree Bud, a little whistle would probably be pretty effective in scaring off a wild animal such as a moose! Two toots on the whistle and you'd have Mr & Mrs Moose's attention because a moose is very aware of local noise and sounds. It's not for nothing that a moose has two large ears which get twitchy when the moose first detects a new sound.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #33
Turtle Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Sorry, I disagree. Anyone who uses the lake has an equal voice and equal rights to use the lake. They also are under the protection of the dept. of safety. By paying a useage fee it only seems fair. It takes just as much energy, time, and resources to save a kayaker in the middle of the lake as it does a powerboater. One could argue that the powerboater may even be more prepared due to the amount of safety gear required to be on board.
Lower impact uses of the lake need to be encouraged. Quadruple the number of kayaks on the lake and the difference would be hardly perceptable. Quadruple the number of power boats and the difference would be insane (see acres per second utilized). My power boat is used probably 20 hours per season. The 3 kayaks and one canoe are used probably 5 hours between the four of them. And when is the last time a kayak crashed into an island at some ungodly hour of the early morning (and the maximum damage most likely would be a small scratch to the kayak)? And when was the last complaint against one kayak not giving into the right of way of the other kayak?
Yes we know occasionally a kayak blown away from a beach in the wind could be responsible for a massive search and rescue but I suspect wayward kayaks are responsible for a tiny fraction of the the MP's time and efforts.
Turtle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #34
Gavia immer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I never thought kayak visibilty was that big of an issue (except at night) until I read stingray's story. Now I'm thinking about getting that flag.

Usually, I'm a fair weather kayaker, just playing around while anchored out. But Sunday I did get stuck out in the pop-up rain that hit Gilford. The wind picked up for few minutes and there were some good size waves. It was all over in five minutes (except the rain) but it could have been worse. A little extra visibility couldn't hurt. I'm also thinking some bright tape for the paddle blades might help.
The stingray story makes no mention of maintaning a proper watch. His *** would be handed to him in court.
Gavia immer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #35
VtSteve

Quote:

I was trying to picture the scene when Stingray encountered six kayaks just 40 feet ahead of him. I would think that six kayaks bobbing around in the waves paddling would have been seen at some point when looking ahead, even with a cursory port/starboard lookout. I see where they are dark-colored kayaks, which I agree, are much harder to see. But coming upon six that close before seeing them?

Not judging, sounds like bow riding high perhaps while going slower?

I'm interested in paddles being a visibility enhancer. I must say, I've never seen paddles that were in any way bright or flashing in the sun, or any other time. I like it when yellow or white kayaks are out, much easier to see.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 AM   #36
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
Lower impact uses of the lake need to be encouraged. Quadruple the number of kayaks on the lake and the difference would be hardly perceptable. Quadruple the number of power boats and the difference would be insane (see acres per second utilized). My power boat is used probably 20 hours per season. The 3 kayaks and one canoe are used probably 5 hours between the four of them. And when is the last time a kayak crashed into an island at some ungodly hour of the early morning (and the maximum damage most likely would be a small scratch to the kayak)? And when was the last complaint against one kayak not giving into the right of way of the other kayak?
Yes we know occasionally a kayak blown away from a beach in the wind could be responsible for a massive search and rescue but I suspect wayward kayaks are responsible for a tiny fraction of the the MP's time and efforts.
We are not going away - PERIOD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (07-28-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #37
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
We are not going away - PERIOD.
Don't take the bait..... It is just another attempt of misdirection to get the thread off track and potentially shut down.
LIforrelaxin (07-28-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #38
Kracken

Quote:
Really?

If you hit an island at 29mph at 2:00am, if your kayak capsized in the broads 3:00pm, if you fell into your bowl of Fruit Loops and drowned this morning, what difference does it make what time and how it happened.

A water rescue, ambulance ride, or coroner’s office visit can result from a ride in a 38 foot cruiser or a 12 foot Sea Kayak.

If there were 4 times as many vessels of any kind there would be 4 times as many incidents. Although if there were 4 times as many power boats there would be four times as much revenue to fund the NHMP, milfoil eradication and….oh wait that not true…never mind.

TB,

I have to give credit where credit is due. You have been steadfast and consistent as it pertains to safety and equal rights to share the lake’s resources. While I have most often disagreed with every argument you have made, I have respected the fact that you have been unwavering in your beliefs. However, I am totally confused why on this subject, you are straying away from the principles you have agued for in the past.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #39
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default save some money

The safety flag is cool idea, I had one on my bike as a child. With my kayak being the Hobie type where you typically use pedal power, the colorful paddle may not quite work.

But lets take a FLL approach and head down to Wally world or order from amazon.com (my choice) a safety flag for a bike for $10. They rise up about six feet and could be added to the kayak with some bent aluminum and a few bolts, washers and thumb screws.

http://www.abikestore.com/Merchant2/...Store_Code=abs

FLL... I attach a whistle to all the kids PFD's and ones used for kayaking,skiing,jet ski, and canoeing. Its a great safety idea for all.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #40
jrc

The registration sticker for kayaks idea has been discussed here before. Remember that the registration fees boaters pay goes to several uses, out of every registration:

(a) $7.50 lake restoration and preservation fund
(b) $1 fish and game search and rescue fund
(c) $5 compensation for processing the registration
(d) $5 statewide public boat access fund
(e) $2 tidal or coastal waters, harbor dredging and pier maintenance fund

I believe that kayaks directly benefit from a,b, and d. A small fee for an annual sticker would be fair. Now I know people (like me) usually have a strong negative reaction to any new taxes, but someone needs to pay for these services, I believe a user fee is more equitable than funding from the general fund.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-29-2010), OCDACTIVE (07-28-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #41
jrc

BTW I would do this as an access sticker. You walk into a marina or sporting goods store and buy a sticker and stick it on the boat. No need for titles and fancy stuff. It doesn't prove you own the boat, just that you paid to navigate state waters.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #42
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Lower impact uses of the lake need to be encouraged.
Now I have only copied a portion of TB post here... To focus on something the statement itself "lower impact uses"... well I agree with this statement, I think it can be defined in many ways.... One example is power boats vs. canoes/kayaks... however I tend to look at it from the aspect of how the things we use on and in the water impact the lake. Two strokes are slowly disappearing from the lake... There is no doubt that a 4 stroke is better for the environment. People also need to think about things like dock structures and how they impact the environment... seasonal docks are less intrusive, using non-pressure treated lumber is even further reduces the intrusiveness. Now I am not trying to point fingers or give anyone a hard time hear... however preserving the lake is important... there are many ways to do it....

Anyways I knowI am guilty of so I will stop now
Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #43
Kracken

Power Boating has a lower impact on the lake than swimming.

I am sorry I can’t help myself today…..
Old 07-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #44
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
Power Boating has a lower impact on the lake than swimming.

I am sorry I can’t help myself today…..
Don't laugh as you don't know how correct you are! Lake Massabesic which supplies Manchester and some surrounding communities with drinking water allow power boats but absolutely no swimming! You can't even be in the water with waders! Why...because people spread a lot more bacteria than a power boat!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #45
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Don't laugh as you don't know how correct you are! Lake Massabesic which supplies Manchester and some surrounding communities with drinking water allow power boats but absolutely no swimming! You can't even be in the water with waders! Why...because people spread a lot more bacteria than a power boat!
This is true of Lake Auburn up in the Lewiston / Auburn area of Maine as well....
Old 07-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #46
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Reflective blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
I'm interested in paddles being a visibility enhancer. I must say, I've never seen paddles that were in any way bright or flashing in the sun, or any other time. I like it when yellow or white kayaks are out, much easier to see.
You must be from Meredith. You see APS has been gluing CDs to paddles down this part of the lake and ...
Old 07-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #47
Kracken

Basically, an internal combustion engine is cleaner than the human body.

It is easier to extract chemical agents from the water than it is to remove biological agents.

Does that mean a powerboat does less damage than a kayak? I am not sure; I guess it depends on how wet the paddler gets in the kayak. Potentially, an “all day” trip in a kayak would be very damaging (compared to power boating). I am talking 8 hours of kayaking….no breaks…just paddling all day…

So the argument of kayaks being less of an impact on the lake might have a few “leaks” in it.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #48
NoBozo

There is a little thingy (or two) that is available for sale in Pilot Shops for use in small aircraft that do not have Toilet Facilities.... Essentially anything short of a corporate jet will not have those facilities.

The thingy ...A WEE WEE Pot....(Available in both Male and Female versions) is much like the little thingy you are provided when in Hospital when you can not ..or do not feel like getting out of bed.

I've NEVER seen one of these for boats.

I totally apologize for this Trivia. NB

EDIT: For those who have an insatiable curiosity:

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/category/930 Check ALL FOUR Products.

Last edited by NoBozo; 07-31-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #49
ApS

Thumbs down Tax That Man Behind the Tree!

Quote:
"...The registration sticker for kayaks idea has been discussed here before..."
It was certainly discussed here in 2008.

This was one of my two responses, two years ago:

Quote:
To tax kayaks at this time is a mean-spirited goal: cobbled with with weak justifications and poorly-conceived poll questions, we'll be seeing this brought up for a third time later.
The other response:

1) Some of the most expen$ive boating rescues may already be billed to insurance companies, but too-seldom are billings paid by the one person needing rescue.

2) Why penalize against the many who cannot afford more gasoline or "more boat", and try to enjoy this scenic lake gently. It's showing even more "sour grapes" to demand that I sell a taxed house to pay another tax on an insignificant boat that in many other states doesn't require any additional taxes for registration.

3) Maine—already losing population—is hardly the state to start copying their regulations and registrations. New Jersey requires the red flag.

4) Youngsters who have read the book First You Must Row a Little Boat by Richard Bode, would be discouraged from boating by having to register their exempt rowboat. First You Must Row a Little Boat was written to show why countless aspects of operating lesser boats avoids the future confusions that larger cruisers feel at the dock—and beyond. (At just $9, it could be a stocking-stuffer for the aspiring young boater).

5) Why penalize the many paddlers who peaceably boat on NH's quieter lakes, ponds and streams to benefit some perceived increase of rescues on "the lake"?

The last NH kayaker needing "rescue" was run over by a powerboat!

6) There are many more non-powered craft in garages, lofts, barns, backyards or stored on automobile racks.

7) A rack of six rowing sculls near me would have to pay $66 for the privilege of rowing between 6AM and 8AM only on the days that were calm enough!

8) My own eclectic flotilla would be $55—money that would be better spent at area restaurants and other Lakes Region businesses.

9) Vermont, which has many more raging rivers and streams than NH (and many-more rescues), doesn't require registration for paddlers.

10) DART helicopters evacuate many injured Vermont paddlers by air to Dartmouth/Hitchcock Hospital in New Hampshire.

Are Vermont individuals assessed for their rescues by New Hampshire?

11) What happens to the frequently-cited Coast Guard statistics when the number of "registered boats" in NH doubles or triples?

12) There are many more unpowered boats than powered boats in New Hampshire. They're just not on all NH lakes, not on all NH lakes all at once, and not every day. Rental companies would be penalized also—would reduce their inventory and would raise their fees to compensate.

13) NH didn't require "no-engine" sailboats to be registered until about 1985: were Legislators "thinking clean" back then? I don't think so: they simply wanted more money from the public. ["Tax that other guy—behind the tree"].

14) With a new requirement adding 200,000+ new registrations, there's at least one category of CG statistics that would become swollen by imponderables: "Falls From Boat".

15) Those tourists returning to "the lake"—or those distant from "the lake"—shouldn't be hampered with more fees.

16) Canoes with a trolling motor require registration!

I think that's wrong as well—if for no other reason than the filthy environment that every petroleum-fueled craft leaves behind it.

17) A government can tax to discourage, or not-tax to encourage: Lake Winnipesaukee shores and waters can benefit by environmentally-clean boats.

As I wrote years ago on these pages: double registration fees for the most excessive boats—later—double them again.

18) A 45 MPH solar/hybrid/wind turbine powered 50' boat should not be taxed, although anyone who can afford one today shouldn't be bothered by the present tax. (Especially when the energy required for it is inexhaustible).

19) My canoe/kayak registrations would have an answering machine at the listed number—in a distant state—and I doubt NH would snail-mail me about a found kayak anyway.

20) With 45-minute NHMP response times considered "reasonable", any "rescue" should be taken out of the issue.

21) Some "Sunfish" and their clones are made in short models that are exempt from NH registration. I don't think small-boat manufacturers should be hampered in any additional manner. Big boat manufacturers have noted a downward trend in boaters: their response? "Try Boating" campaigns.

22) We don't use the same 150-foot-passage "at any given time". And we CERTAINLY don't use it at the same rate!

(Adding these below for 2010):

23) Near me is a new rowboat: it has two hulls!!! Double the fees—double the red flags!

24) Biological contaminants are consumed by bacteria and vegetation.

This lake's most concentrated areas of biological contamination are found around rafters. (Most often powerboaters).

25) Petroleum contaminants are mostly released to the atmosphere, largely without regard for US emission standards.

Kayaks emit none.

26) I don't think registration (or red flags) should be extended to "paddleboards" either.

This is the "paddleboard" you want to tax:

Paddleboard numbers seem to be increasing here. They're surprisingly fast into strong winds!

27) I pick up feathers from the lake and stranded ladybugs. Why can't you see kayaks?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #50
Winnipesaukee

Folks, it's a lake. It's a body of water that happens to be completely contained in one state. It's not like I'm buying a pass to tear up beaches with my truck on the Cape.

I don't expect to be "rescued" by anybody that I pay taxes to. I have TowboatUS, a VHF (even on the small sailboats I use), and flares. Boaters take care of each other.

If I am in a kayak (but believe me, I can't kayak for my life), my prop isn't chopping up and spreading milfoil; my wake isn't eroding Weirs Beach or the public docks; I don't pollute the water with my exhaust or dump 40 gallons of gasoline into the lake when I sink (oh wait, kayaks don't sink). So should I really be forced to pay to "restore" and "preserve" it?

Quote:
One could argue that the powerboater may even be more prepared due to the amount of safety gear required to be on board.
How do you figure? Us non-powerboaters (although I do powerboat, too ) are usually far more prepared than the average Capt. Bonehead. We're the ones you usually see in a bright-colored drysuit (with positive buoyancy---if the water is under 60 degrees F. We could survive for days in a drysuit) and PFD. If a powerboat sinks, they have to don their PFD's, and if the water is cold, almost certainly won't have anything to keep them alive for long.

I've got everything imaginable in my small runabout (heck, even a shotgun from the days spent in the ocean!), but if it were to sink in cold water, I could be in some trouble...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:12 AM   #51
VtSteve

Quote:

I've got everything imaginable in my small runabout (heck, even a shotgun from the days spent in the ocean!), but if it were to sink in cold water, I could be in some trouble...
No reason to turn stupid then in a powerboat, just wear your drysuit
Old 07-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #52
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Folks, it's a lake. It's a body of water that happens to be completely contained in one state. It's not like I'm buying a pass to tear up beaches with my truck on the Cape.

I don't expect to be "rescued" by anybody that I pay taxes to. I have TowboatUS, a VHF (even on the small sailboats I use), and flares. Boaters take care of each other.

If I am in a kayak (but believe me, I can't kayak for my life), my prop isn't chopping up and spreading milfoil; my wake isn't eroding Weirs Beach or the public docks; I don't pollute the water with my exhaust or dump 40 gallons of gasoline into the lake when I sink (oh wait, kayaks don't sink). So should I really be forced to pay to "restore" and "preserve" it?

How do you figure? Us non-powerboaters (although I do powerboat, too ) are usually far more prepared than the average Capt. Bonehead. We're the ones you usually see in a bright-colored drysuit (with positive buoyancy---if the water is under 60 degrees F. We could survive for days in a drysuit) and PFD. If a powerboat sinks, they have to don their PFD's, and if the water is cold, almost certainly won't have anything to keep them alive for long.

He Winni. It sounds like you are as prepared on a kayak as I am on my powerboat.. But as you probably realize as I do, not everyone is as attentive as we are. I have seen kayakers out without life jackets at all. I think there are extremes on both sides of the coin. The only major difference is that most powerboaters know there are a lot more requirements other then a whistle and lifejacket that go along with a powerboat. Because a boaters certificate or registration is not requried for nonpower boats or kayaks, many people just drop in and go.. I have seen this many times where people borrow a friend's and the friend doesn't go through the regulations and safety aspects.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #53
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Really?

If there were 4 times as many vessels of any kind there would be 4 times as many incidents.
Statisticly it would actually be worse than that with many more drownings occurring in canoes/kayaks than in powerboats.
OCDACTIVE (07-29-2010), VtSteve (07-29-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #54
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Really?

If there were 4 times as many vessels of any kind there would be 4 times as many incidents. Although if there were 4 times as many power boats there would be four times as much revenue to fund the NHMP, milfoil eradication and….
If there were 4 times as many power boats on the lake there would be four times the need for four times the number of MP's on the lake.

Arguing that kayaks might have as much of an impact as powerboats on the lake? Come on...that's just not rational. And BTW I have a 14' powerboat and kayaks too. No one here is advocating a kayak only lake. I do wonder if some of our posts are getting rather histrionic bordering on hysterical. Way too many outbursts like "boaters are not criminals" and "we're not leaving the lake".
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #55
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post

I do wonder if some of our posts are getting rather histrionic bordering on hysterical. Way too many outbursts like "boaters are not criminals" and "we're not leaving the lake".

Oh the horrors

I was drinking coffee when I first saw the title of this thread.

Heck, I needed a new monitor anyway

If that's all you have to put up with SOTD, consider yourself very lucky
Old 07-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #56
Kracken

Quote:
If there were 4 times as many power boats on the lake there would be four times the need for four times the number of MP's on the lake.

Arguing that kayaks might have as much of an impact as powerboats on the lake? Come on...that's just not rational. And BTW I have a 14' powerboat and kayaks too. No one here is advocating a kayak only lake. I do wonder if some of our posts are getting rather histrionic bordering on hysterical. Way too many outbursts like "boaters are not criminals" and "we're not leaving the lake".
Sunset,

I enjoy your posts….keep them coming.

My point was simple although admittedly a bit sarcastic.

There is a reason why Canobie Lake, Lake Massabesic and others in this state allow boats but not swimmers. It is easier to remove the contaminants from a power boat than from humans.

Does that mean a bather actually does more damage? I don’t know but the fact is: It’s debatable. The more important fact is it’s not an issue. Lake Winnipesaukee is very clean and the boats, swimmers and kayakers are not damaging the lake. One might say the wakes are causing erosion; well the wind causes a lot more waves than boats do. We can't ban the wind...although some days I would like to.

I just can’t rationalize penalizing one type of vessel or rewarding another type for using more or less of the lake. That is a very slippery slope. I am not anti any type of boat. I enjoy the kayak, the canoe and my favorite toy…the floating chase lounge. I don’t believe any should be banned or limited. I just believe they should ALL be used responsibly.

I am playing in a 100 hole golf tournament tomorrow for charity. That floating chase lounge chair will get a lot of use this weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kracken For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (07-30-2010)
Old 07-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #57
robmac

Perhaps MHO is wrong but I think alot of this has to do with everyone wanting safety. With that said, shouldn't everyone participate in maintaining that with MP getting the needed funds? Who is not in favor for the safest waterways and family enjoyment we can have? I for one wasn't happy with the added cost this year but accept that to insure that we do have safe guards in place they cost money,why shouldn't all boater share that responsibility? Again this is IMHO
Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #58
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Perhaps MHO is wrong but I think alot of this has to do with everyone wanting safety. With that said, shouldn't everyone participate in maintaining that with MP getting the needed funds? Who is not in favor for the safest waterways and family enjoyment we can have? I for one wasn't happy with the added cost this year but accept that to insure that we do have safe guards in place they cost money,why shouldn't all boater share that responsibility? Again this is IMHO

B I N G O

Safety is a relative thing. You just can't support new laws and then go about your business. There are responsibilities, repercussions, and costs. Having common sense adults in charge of this process goes a long ways towards success, as this year's events have shown us.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:26 AM   #59
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
There is a little thingy (or two) that is available for sale in Pilot Shops for use in small aircraft that do not have Toilet Facilities.... Essentially anything short of a corporate jet will not have those facilities.

The thingy ...A WEE WEE Pot....(Available in both Male and Female versions) is much like the little thingy you are provided when in Hospital when you can not ..or do not feel like getting out of bed.

I've NEVER seen one of these for boats.

I totally apologize for this Trivia. NB

EDIT: For those who have an insatiable curiosity:

http://sportys.com/PilotShop/category/930 Check ALL FOUR Products.
Awwww....let's hope that none of our Nanny State government officials read your post, NB. Otherwise, we can all look forward to some new mandated 'equipment' for our boats.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #60
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

Outbursts? Au contraire! Just stating our opinions, just as you have the right to do. I'm sure you would prefer that us "sheep" just keep quiet and let these noodlebacks in Concord (that have no clue about boating) continue to fall prey to lobbying groups with agendas against powerboaters. Not going to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
topwater (07-30-2010)
Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #61
ApS

Wink It's Just Impossible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
How about registration for kayaks, canoes, paddle boats etc...provided it doesn't get moved into the general fund to close the budget gap.
1) Who thinks that possibility could ever happen?

2) This year, I have just one opinion on this proposal.

ETA:
August 14th, I saw a boat towing a tube with the red flag flying directly in front of the helm. Why he thought he needed it is unknown, as the bright neon-green tube was taller than the boat that was towing it!

61 posts in this thread...

Last edited by ApS; 10-21-2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Edited to add...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote