Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2022, 09:36 AM   #1
bigdog
Senior Member
 
bigdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central MA-Gilford
Posts: 1,261
Thanks: 231
Thanked 93 Times in 77 Posts
Default Dentist and Dematologist suggestions ?

Looking for Dentist and Dermatologist suggestions/recommendations in Lake Region. Prior medical professionals were in Concord, looking for professionals closer to home on the Wal-Mart side of the lake.

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 148
Thanked 464 Times in 308 Posts
Default

My recommendation to assist you in your search is to verify who ever you select is in your insurance network. Personal experience with a local dentist taught me a hard lesson. Dental work was good. Amount owed for shameful.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 10:29 AM   #3
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7,987
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 262
Thanked 870 Times in 626 Posts
Default

For the #1-best dentist ever, since real dentistry was first invented back in 1914, and close to the Plymouth Wal-Mart, and across from NuCar Plymouth Ford, and the best, MOST comfortable dental chair in New Hampshire ..... suggest you walk in to www.dentalartsofplymouth.com ..... and chit-chat with their front desk person to talk about making an appointment.

Dentist: Jeff Williams DMD, age about 60 or so.

Your teeth and gums will be very very happy you made the visit .... .... and it is up to YOU to brush & floss .... .... you understand!
__________________
.... age-70 & suffering terrible chronic tinnitus ... omg!
fatlazyless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
Jeanzb1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Gilford
Posts: 510
Thanks: 548
Thanked 167 Times in 89 Posts
Default

Adult and Pediatric Dermatology in South Wolfeboro is the only game in town.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jeanzb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 11:43 AM   #5
winni83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 352
Thanks: 17
Thanked 165 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Ditto for AP Derm in Wolfeboro. I saw Dr. Kent Handfield there recently and would highly recommend him.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #6
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 3,144
Thanks: 1,107
Thanked 972 Times in 627 Posts
Default

Interlakes Dental in Center Harbor are excellent. If you do not have dental insurance, which I do not as I have found over the years cost outweighs the be, they offer there own plans with different levels of service paid on a monthly basis.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
bigdog (03-22-2022), wobbelbill (03-23-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #7
Barbara
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 250
Thanks: 48
Thanked 112 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
Ditto for AP Derm in Wolfeboro. I saw Dr. Kent Handfield there recently and would highly recommend him.
Ditto for AP Derm and Dr Handfield innWolfeboro.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 02:37 PM   #8
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bedford, NH; Meredith, NH
Posts: 752
Thanks: 207
Thanked 690 Times in 269 Posts
Default you make an interesting point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Interlakes Dental in Center Harbor are excellent. If you do not have dental insurance, which I do not as I have found over the years cost outweighs the be, they offer there own plans with different levels of service paid on a monthly basis.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
You make a valid point. Even our own dentist here in Bedford--who is regularly voted one of the "top dentists" in NH by NH Magazine--has told us that employer-provided dental insurance is almost a joke, as the benefit provided has not kept pace with the cost of procedures. He describes it as being analogous to a coupon at the super market...you save some money, but you're still footing the majority of the bill.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (03-22-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 02:47 PM   #9
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bedford, NH; Meredith, NH
Posts: 752
Thanks: 207
Thanked 690 Times in 269 Posts
Default not a fan of Dr. DeTolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Looking for Dentist and Dermatologist suggestions/recommendations in Lake Region. Prior medical professionals were in Concord, looking for professionals closer to home on the Wal-Mart side of the lake.

Thanks !
I briefly considered the idea of having my dentist in Meredith, since we spend the bulk of our time there. I went to Dr. DeTolla's office...had x-rays and a cleaning. Dr DeTolla came in to do his exam after the hygienist had completed her work. I found him to be abrupt and gruff. I left and never went back. We have since started going to a dentist in Bedford who is awesome and is on the "top dentists" list in NH Magazine.

Perhaps Dr DeTolla was just having a bad day and he may do great dental work, but his demeanor that day was just a real turn-off.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:15 PM   #10
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,795
Thanks: 922
Thanked 774 Times in 471 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
My recommendation to assist you in your search is to verify who ever you select is in your insurance network. Personal experience with a local dentist taught me a hard lesson. Dental work was good. Amount owed for shameful.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
In Mass, this issue is so out of control--dentists billing uninsured clients a huge premium over what they charge insured clients/insurers--that Delta Dental has (or at least had) an "insurance" plan that has no insurance, it simply allows the patient to pay 100% out-of-pocket at the price the dentist would charge an insured patient. Some might want to see if this is available in NH.
FlyingScot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:35 PM   #11
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Massachusetts and Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,472
Thanks: 386
Thanked 543 Times in 285 Posts
Default

Interlake Dental, just over the Center Harbor line in Moultonboro. Great staff and dentists. Highly recommend.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
bigdog (03-25-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 05:55 PM   #12
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,300
Thanks: 858
Thanked 542 Times in 277 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
I briefly considered the idea of having my dentist in Meredith, since we spend the bulk of our time there. I went to Dr. DeTolla's office...had x-rays and a cleaning. Dr DeTolla came in to do his exam after the hygienist had completed her work. I found him to be abrupt and gruff. I left and never went back. We have since started going to a dentist in Bedford who is awesome and is on the "top dentists" list in NH Magazine.

Perhaps Dr DeTolla was just having a bad day and he may do great dental work, but his demeanor that day was just a real turn-off.
My wife and I have been going to Dr. DeTolla for many years and have been very pleased with him and his office. I have also had work done by his brother, the other Dr. DeTolla who is an oral surgeon in Gilford and have been happy there.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
GTO (03-22-2022), Jeanzb1 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 05:57 PM   #13
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 148
Thanked 464 Times in 308 Posts
Default Dentist and Dematologist suggestions ?

If I remember correctly, interlake dental is the office that required all my past dental records before they would accept a new patient. Said they were unavailable. Wouldn’t accept that answer. “No soup for you”


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #14
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 3,144
Thanks: 1,107
Thanked 972 Times in 627 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
If I remember correctly, interlake dental is the office that required all my past dental records before they would accept a new patient. Said they were unavailable. Wouldn’t accept that answer. “No soup for you”


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


I went to them for the first time about 18 months ago and they didn’t ask me anything about my dental history records. My first appointment they did a thorough check up with x-rays etc. and we went from there. I’m extremely happy with them


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:23 PM   #15
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 148
Thanked 464 Times in 308 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I went to them for the first time about 18 months ago and they didn’t ask me anything about my dental history records. My first appointment they did a thorough check up with x-rays etc. and we went from there. I’m extremely happy with them


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app


That’s good to hear


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:20 PM   #16
tbonies
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Anchorage, Al
Posts: 136
Thanks: 51
Thanked 59 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
I briefly considered the idea of having my dentist in Meredith, since we spend the bulk of our time there. I went to Dr. DeTolla's office...had x-rays and a cleaning. Dr DeTolla came in to do his exam after the hygienist had completed her work. I found him to be abrupt and gruff. I left and never went back. We have since started going to a dentist in Bedford who is awesome and is on the "top dentists" list in NH Magazine.

Perhaps Dr DeTolla was just having a bad day and he may do great dental work, but his demeanor that day was just a real turn-off.
Hmm. We've been going to DeTolla for years and he's been great. Never had an issue. Maybe the issue was really with the patient.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #17
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bedford, NH; Meredith, NH
Posts: 752
Thanks: 207
Thanked 690 Times in 269 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
Hmm. We've been going to DeTolla for years and he's been great. Never had an issue. Maybe the issue was really with the patient.
How we all choose our doctors, dentists, and other healthcare providers is a very personal decision. These people are touching our bodies and we share private information with them. If I don't feel that I have a good connection or vibe with a healthcare provider, I don't want them taking care of me. If that means I have an "issue", so be it.

I'm glad that folks have had a positive experience with Dr DeTolla. His practice has been open for years, so I'm sure he does good work. He just wasn't the guy for me. Your mileage may vary.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
KennyFromBoston (03-23-2022), WinnisquamZ (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 08:52 AM   #18
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Massachusetts and Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,472
Thanks: 386
Thanked 543 Times in 285 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
If I remember correctly, interlake dental is the office that required all my past dental records before they would accept a new patient. Said they were unavailable. Wouldn’t accept that answer. “No soup for you”


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
They are very busy, I became a new patient last summer, had to wait a while for an appointment, but I think it was worth it. They did not require past records to see them for my appointment.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #19
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,380
Thanks: 36
Thanked 198 Times in 148 Posts
Default

a couple of years ago after just getting to the lake i had a very sore tooth. I called Interlake's hoping to get in. They got me in that day (not a prior patient) and cleaned out some food and it solved the problem. No questions about prior records
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:17 AM   #20
bigdog
Senior Member
 
bigdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central MA-Gilford
Posts: 1,261
Thanks: 231
Thanked 93 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Interlake Dental, just over the Center Harbor line in Moultonboro. Great staff and dentists. Highly recommend.
I just contacted 'Interlake Dental' to book an appt as a 'new patient',
the earliest I could be seen would be August.
I asked 'what if I was a current patient', they told me up to two months out.

Back to my search !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:19 AM   #21
bigdog
Senior Member
 
bigdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central MA-Gilford
Posts: 1,261
Thanks: 231
Thanked 93 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
Ditto for AP Derm in Wolfeboro. I saw Dr. Kent Handfield there recently and would highly recommend him.
Got an appt at AP Derm in Wolfeboro in 2 weeks, thanks for the tip !

Last edited by bigdog; 03-25-2022 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:45 AM   #22
ghfromaltonbay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Clifton, NJ, Alton Bay
Posts: 801
Thanks: 228
Thanked 213 Times in 122 Posts
Default Dr. Neal

If you are willing to go to Wolfeboro, I recommend Dr Richard Neal, DDS. He and his office group were great treating my Dad as a new patient. His office is across from Brewster Academy.
ghfromaltonbay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghfromaltonbay For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (03-26-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #23
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Massachusetts and Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,472
Thanks: 386
Thanked 543 Times in 285 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I just contacted 'Interlake Dental' to book an appt as a 'new patient',
the earliest I could be seen would be August.
I asked 'what if I was a current patient', they told me up to two months out.

Back to my search !
I had to wait about 2 months last summer for a new patient appointment. Dentists are in short supply up here.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:07 PM   #24
baygo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 651
Thanks: 172
Thanked 503 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Try Winnisquam dental to the Tiltin side of mosquito Bridge.

It’s been a while but they didn’t a great work for me
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #25
TheProfessor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 843
Thanks: 16
Thanked 244 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
If I remember correctly, interlake dental is the office that required all my past dental records before they would accept a new patient. Said they were unavailable. Wouldn’t accept that answer. “No soup for you”
[/url]
That may be an anomaly.

Never had any dentist ask for any previous dental records.

But here are a few stories for food for thought.

1. Relative. Been to dentists in New England entire life.
Moved retired to Florida.
Went seeking a dentist.
The first dentist stated that all the previous dental work was wrong and had to be replaced/redone at a cost of $6,500.

2. Friend from Chicago.
Moved to Florida. Retired. Been to dentists in Chicago entire life.
Went seeking dentist in different part of Florida.
Florida dentist stated that all his previous dental work was wrong and everything needed to be replaced.
Cost: $6,500.

3. Neighbor. Been to dentists his entire life. Dentist graduate of Tufts Dental School.
Bought a winter home in Arizona.
Went to a dental practice in Arizona.
Told that all previous dental work was wrong. All had to be replaced.
Cost: $10,200

Just be aware that many dental shops are nationally owned companies. And the dentist is an employee. May or may not get a commission on dental work.

Last edited by TheProfessor; 03-26-2022 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Dog barking (again)
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:56 AM   #26
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bedford, NH; Meredith, NH
Posts: 752
Thanks: 207
Thanked 690 Times in 269 Posts
Default Good poiint, Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
That may be an anomaly.

Never had any dentist ask for any previous dental records.

But here are a few stories for food for thought.

1. Relative. Been to dentists in New England entire life.
Moved retired to Florida.
Went seeking a dentist.
The first dentist stated that all the previous dental work was wrong and had to be replaced/redone at a cost of $6,500.

2. Friend from Chicago.
Moved to Florida. Retired. Been to dentists in Chicago entire life.
Went seeking dentist in different part of Florida.
Florida dentist stated that all his previous dental work was wrong and everything needed to be replaced.
Cost: $6,500.

3. Neighbor. Been to dentists his entire life. Dentist graduate of Tufts Dental School.
Bought a winter home in Arizona.
Went to a dental practice in Arizona.
Told that all previous dental work was wrong. All had to be replaced.
Cost: $10,200

Just be aware that many dental shops are nationally owned companies. And the dentist is an employee. May or may not get a commission on dental work.
You make a good point, Professor. Not only might they be part of a national "chain", most are small businesspeople who have to pay the staff, pay the rent, and make a profit. While it's true they are healthcare providers and that should come before the $$, many times it does not.

Regarding the request of dental records that several folks have mentioned, we have moved a number of times to different states for work, and each time the new dentist/MD/eye doctor have asked for records from our previous provider.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #27
Winni1952
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

As a retired healthcare provider for over 40 years my best advice is to always get multiples opinions before undertaking any extensive medical/dental treatment that is not an emergency.

In our present healthcare system being your own advocate and doing your due diligence is of the upmost importance for your own well being and peace of mind!
Winni1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.90731 seconds