Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
dogma

Default Wooden Boat Show in Wolfeboro 7/29/17

The Antique and Classic Boat Society (ACBS) is having their annual judged show on Saturday, July 29th at the Wolfeboro Town Docks. Over 40 boats will be on display from 9 AM to 2 PM. Some of the boats that will be there are: 3 Garwoods dating between 1929 and 1932; a 25' Gentleman's Racer from Canada; a 1923 26' Gold Cup Race Boat; and the oldest - a 1921 Dutchburn.
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:35 AM   #2
overeasy

I knew I picked the right week to visit! I happened upon a wooden boat show in Skaneateles NY and that day is in the top 5 of my entire life.
overeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
sailwinni

Default How to view?

I've never been - does anyone have words of advice for how to view the boats? Is it possible to come by boat and park at public docks, or will that be impossible on this day?
sailwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
RUGMAN

I went last year for the first time, it was great, went by car. All the docks were full with the show boats, don't think there would be anywhere to tie up, but more seasoned boaters may have a different opinion. Great to see all the neat wooden boats.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
Rinkerguy

Great show, nice to see all those wooden boats in one place,but need to sereously rethink the schedule. You tide up over 1/2 the docks on a July Saturday afternoon till well after 2:00. Boats piling up in bay waiting to park at "Public Town Docks" but couldn't. Downtown businesses paid the price with reduced traffic because nobody could dock. 8:00 - 11:00 would be a much better time for show so everyone could enjoy the town. RETHINK !!!
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
Joebon

Downtown businesses were busy all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwinni View Post
I've never been - does anyone have words of advice for how to view the boats? Is it possible to come by boat and park at public docks, or will that be impossible on this day?

Sorry so slow to respond, I was at the boat show and missed this... They left a few dock spaces open for non-show boats. I made good use of one.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
WJT2

Default Rinkerguy...THINK

This boat show has been on the lake for 44 years, always the last Saturday in July followed by a July Sunday. I bet you and your plastic boat and attitude have not been. This show brings in PLENTY of business for the merchants. Hotel rooms , restaurants, marina's etc. It started in Weirs moved to Meredith and 2nd year in Wolfeboro. You need to plan accordingly. Thats the re-think.
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Nice that the show moves around, but I understand people wanting to use the docks. It's also fun to see some of these special boats out and around the lake. Would it work to have the show all day Friday with a couple of hours Saturday morning to announce winners and prizes? That might bring business to Wolfeboro on a day that is normally less busy than Saturday.
I enjoy the boats, but rarely go to the show since I can't go by boat and driving around the lake in weekend traffic isn't in my plans. All three sites mentioned have heavy Saturday traffic and full parking.

One great thing about the steamboat regatta in September is that they do two parades and boaters can see the parade, wave and blow whistles, etc. Lots of fun on both sides, exhibitors and spectators.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:14 AM   #10
sailwinni

We ended up driving to town early (8:30) and had no problem parking the car. Had breakfast and then headed to the docks. There were some spots for the public to use and we probably could have gotten one if we had arrived as early as we had. Would have saved some time too, since it is quicker for us to boat to Wolfeboro than drive.

But in any case, we did enjoy our time there. Spoke to several owners for more perspective and had a great time. The docks and town were really busy when we were leaving close to 11:00. I'm sure the local businesses were not hurt by the event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
dogma

Default People's Choice winner

A lot of people at the show asked where the winner of People's Choice would be announced. I guess this could be one of those places.. the winner was the 1921 Ditchburn "ABBY A" . The boat owners spent all day with their boat talking to people about it. I know they are proud!
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote