Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
garysanfran

Default Wine'ing Butcher - Meredith

What's the status of this place now? Last year it was getting a bad rep. I think the original founders sold and have gone elsewhere. I just went to their web site and they seem to have a much expanded offering like ground venison, wild boar, rabbit. There aren't many places in NH that sell exotics. Does anyone have recent experience there?

Now if I can find octopus
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
Pineedles

I think the only negative was their prices were higher than you could do it yourself. Not hard to marinade sirloin tips at home for a lesser cost.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
jniff101

Default very good

I had steak tips from there last week and they were very yummy. They aren't something I get more then a couple times a year since they were $14.99 per pound.
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
radioman

Default Wining butcher

My wife and I both agree that they have the best pizza in the region. This is because they have a wood- fired oven. The prices are not reasonable by any standards but they have been successful over the years because of quality and diversity. Yes, the original owners have sold out and departed south. Whenever you want to treat yourself, spend the money and visit the Wining Butcher.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:47 PM   #5
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff101 View Post
I had steak tips from there last week and they were very yummy. They aren't something I get more then a couple times a year since they were $14.99 per pound.
$14.99 a lb. The only way I could ingest those at that price and not get a serious case of agita, would be if someone else had paid for them.
Reilly (04-26-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
radioman

Default Winning butcher

Airdale,i agree, but understand that this is a "specialty store"
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Today Hannaford had tips for $5.99/lb. In the past they have been as good as the WB tips. Will see later about today's buy.

BTW, the octopus escaped.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/wo...rium.html?_r=0
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Exotic Meat at reasonable price

I found the Hungry Buffalo a great place to find exotic meat.
Two location: Loudon on 106 and Chichester on Dover Rd.

Miles Smith on 106 has a good selection of local farm raised meat reasonably priced.
garysanfran (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
bruinsfan

I wouldn't do my shopping there, however, we sometimes pick up a gourmet burger and fries or a pizza to go...

Always delicious and fresh. It's pricy, but well worth the treat.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #10
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Today Hannaford had tips for $5.99/lb. In the past they have been as good as the WB tips. Will see later about today's buy.

BTW, the octopus escaped.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/14/wo...rium.html?_r=0
Yup....Hanaford's tips are just as good & look at the price difference ! W&B prices have gone off the rails.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:23 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Yup....Hanaford's tips are just as good & look at the price difference ! W&B prices have gone off the rails.
If enough people pay the price, they'll keep charging it.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #12
Pineedles

See! Only thing negative is that people can do it cheaper themselves.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:13 AM   #13
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
See! Only thing negative is that people can do it cheaper themselves.
Pineedles -- I don't think it's that people can do it themselves .... it's the fact that they are no longer simply somewhat premium priced.....they have lost Market pricing altogether ....other places have just as good a product which is continuously 30-40% below their price levels.

I too was a HUGE fan of WB (in fact live within walking distance of the Gilford store) but have totally converted to Hannafords. Given that we usually have friends over when we do tips ... it makes a difference to your wallet when you are buying 4-6 lbs. at a time !

Old 04-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

The price of $14.99 is actually higher than that because they vacuum marinate their tips which gain weight from the marinade. I don't know exactly what their weight gain ratio is but when our meat processing plant injected hams we would add 20% or more before cooking.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #15
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
The price of $14.99 is actually higher than that because they vacuum marinate their tips which gain weight from the marinade. I don't know exactly what their weight gain ratio is but when our meat processing plant injected hams we would add 20% or more before cooking.
To Siksukr's point, I nave never seen steak tips shrink so much when cooking. I have not weighed them before and after, but they shrink. We usually cook them to medium.

They are very tasty, but we usually had to buy more than usual to cover the shrinkage loss.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
phoenix

I only went there once but basically you will pay a higher price for the convenience of being able to go there when you want vs a sale at a supermarket. As long as enough people continue to go they will do fine
Old 04-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #17
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

The reason I stopped buying there isn't because of the price, the tips didn't taste marinated and all the different types tasted the same....almost like nothing.

The best ones are the ones I make myself from meat purchased at SAMs Club and vacuum marinated in a tumbler.

If not that, we go to Hannafords and get their black Terriyaki which are really really good!!

Dan
Old 04-27-2016, 08:11 PM   #18
codeman671

I do love their firehouse tips. I called one time and begged for the recipe to no avail.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #19
Woody

Thumbs down What Happened in Meredith???

I recently came back to the area after about a year and was looking forward to a good meal, and great service from the WB in Meredith.
I walked in, didn't get any greetings like I have in the past, had to ask someone to help me because everyone behind the cases were too busy on their cell phones and not paying attention to the Customer!
I asked where Tom was, the Manager that I always had good conversations with, and was told by the new Manager (Dave?) that he was gone. Once I heard that, I knew why the service was awful. Tom always made it a point to say hello to everyone who walked in the door, and gave great service. The new guy was too busy on his phone just like his employees, guess they learned from him? Too bad, they lost a good customer, I am not going back!
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:10 AM   #20
thatguyonline

I've been here one time but I left smelling like a French fry.

The proprietor should consider installing a proper hood over the deep fryer to suck some of that grease out of the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thatguyonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:26 AM   #21
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyonline View Post
I've been here one time but I left smelling like a French fry.

The proprietor should consider installing a proper hood over the deep fryer to suck some of that grease out of the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do not believe they have a fryer.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:10 AM   #22
thatguyonline

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I do not believe they have a fryer.

Perhaps they are heating oil in a pot.
thatguyonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #23
Woody

Question New Management (again)

I hear that they promoted the Kitchen manager to be the new GM of the store, I sure hope that helps with the poor attitude of the counter help. Hopefully the new GM will instill good working habits on the employees unlike the other guy, Dave, who in my opinion did a very poor job. With any luck he is gone too!
Now I also hear that the Head Butcher, Kyle is no longer there, what is going on in that place???

Let's see what this summer brings, I'll take bets the service will never be as good as when Tom ran the place. Stay tuned....
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:
NewHaHagirl (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 06:08 PM   #24
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I hear that they promoted the Kitchen manager to be the new GM of the store, I sure hope that helps with the poor attitude of the counter help. Hopefully the new GM will instill good working habits on the employees unlike the other guy, Dave, who in my opinion did a very poor job. With any luck he is gone too!
Now I also hear that the Head Butcher, Kyle is no longer there, what is going on in that place???

Let's see what this summer brings, I'll take bets the service will never be as good as when Tom ran the place. Stay tuned....
Your only 2 posts on this forum are bitching about the wine'ing butcher. Are they your competition? or is this a vendetta?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
sky's (06-28-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #25
tbonies

Anyone reading these posts whining about the Wining Butcher should take it with a grain of salt. This store caters predominantly to the crowd that desires convenience (along with excellent prepared meat) and are willing to pay a premium for it. These posts lose credibility when they say that all the various types of marinated flavors taste the same, the meat is poor, all the counter help is poor, etc. My experience is that the Wining Butcher is a great option to have (in addition to Hannaford) for such a seasonal area. My guess is Woody has an axe to grind, perhaps he got fired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post

tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:38 AM   #26
mhtranger

And here we go!!
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #27
Salty

Default Great quality and variety

I've purchased marinated tips, steak and turkey, from the Gilford store as well as a specialty cheese I like that they carry. We have been very appreciative of their quality. Have also had marinated steak tips from Hannaford. They were good but not at the same level.
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:54 PM   #28
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

My only issue with the WB is that they vacuum tips too much when marinating, making the tips mushy (and tasting the same regardless of marinade).
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
noreast (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 09:36 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

That would be all the extra water. Buy your own and marinate them yourself. They are much cheaper especially considering your paying 15$ a lb for their marinade. Yesterday at the new Hannafords in Bedford NH the steak tips were $4.88/lb. Now those are on special but even at the normal $9.99 they are way cheaper even before the marinade.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 07-05-2016 at 02:18 PM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #30
baastan

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
My wife and I both agree that they have the best pizza in the region. This is because they have a wood- fired oven. The prices are not reasonable by any standards but they have been successful over the years because of quality and diversity. Yes, the original owners have sold out and departed south. Whenever you want to treat yourself, spend the money and visit the Wining Butcher.
I couldn't agree with you more. I have had it all, this brick over is just consistent time and time again. Everything I have ever had at this place has been of the highest quality. The broccoli salad they have is amazing...
baastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:40 AM   #31
baastan

Its funny because I wrote a Yelp review (yes I am one of them) years ago about how unfriendly everyone was in there, and how i felt everyone was walking on egg shells. After that, it appeared the management got the message and people were very inviting and helpful when people walked through the door. I am not saying I had anything to do with it, but I found this place fascinating for the prepared foods, at the time eclectic beer selection and markets both meat and fish. I realize there others doing this now, but I was dying for a place like this.. I will absolutely still shop there, but I get Floramo steak tips from way back in Chelsea MA if you haven't had them, you are missing out !!!

p.s. a place called provisions is opening today I think in center harbor, where Bay Gulls use to be, I am looking forward to it.... hope its good!!!
baastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #32
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by baastan View Post
Its funny because I wrote a Yelp review (yes I am one of them) years ago about how unfriendly everyone was in there, and how i felt everyone was walking on egg shells. After that, it appeared the management got the message and people were very inviting and helpful when people walked through the door. I am not saying I had anything to do with it, but I found this place fascinating for the prepared foods, at the time eclectic beer selection and markets both meat and fish. I realize there others doing this now, but I was dying for a place like this.. I will absolutely still shop there, but I get Floramo steak tips from way back in Chelsea MA if you haven't had them, you are missing out !!!

p.s. a place called provisions is opening today I think in center harbor, where Bay Gulls use to be, I am looking forward to it.... hope its good!!!
Have you updated (or written a new) YELP review?

Not sure how YELP works, I would never consider using that site for fear of disgruntled employees or competition being the authors of the reviews.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #33
granitebox

Default August 4th Visit

Very disappointing - walking in at 12:30 P, no one in line, ordered a single sub and was told 5 minutes. I then gathered a couple other things and proceeded to wait 20 minutes before I gave up and left.

I understand they do a solid call in business but during the extended wait I was in front of the deli counter for most of the time and at no time did anyone apologize or attempt to figure out why the delay.

I won't be back this year - the service was below average.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote