Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default $3.69/gal Golden Pond

Filled up the tank in my Subaru 5-speed for $3.69/gal at the Golden Pond Market on Main St in downtown Holderness, NH.

And not only that, but Ethel and Norman Thayer from the 1981 film 'On Golden Pond' were right there to wash the windshield, check the oil, check the tire pressure, and offer me a free cup of Bogota Sunrise coffee! .....
Loub52 (04-07-2022), pondguy (04-08-2022), SailinAway (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 08:07 PM   #2
SailinAway

Gas Buddy is showing that as the second cheapest price in New Hampshire right now.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/new-hampshire
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:05 AM   #3
fatlazyless

Default Following too close from behind - $125 violation

So, I'm leaving the Golden Pond Market with my new $50 tankful of their $3.69/gal gasoline, and Ethel yells out in her Katherine Hepburn voice: 'Hey there Mister, keep it down to 35-mph or it will cost you $125."

With that message in mind, I'm driving the 30-mph go-slow zone that stretches along past Little Squam for about one mile, driving a steady 35-mph and there is a car right there behind me, tail-gating up too close from behind, so I continue along 35-mph until I get to the 40-mph sign, when I up it to 40-mph. And, the tail-gating car continues to hug my bumper from behind as I go 40-mph toward the right turn onto Rt 175.

Next thing I know, there's blue lights and a loud police siren coming up from behind, and this Holderness Cop is right there, stopping the tail-gating car probably for tail-gating.... ha-ha-ha ....... true story! $125 ..... plus two insurance points, or something ..... is that what it really costs? ......
Old 04-08-2022, 06:15 AM   #4
pondguy

Make sure you get a slice of pizza when you gas up, great fresh pizza.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 11:52 AM   #5
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Next thing I know, there's blue lights and a loud police siren coming up from behind, and this Holderness Cop is right there, stopping the tail-gating car probably for tail-gating.:
Funny story and I'm glad it worked out for you, but I usually pull over immediately to let tailgaiters go by me. It's the polite and safer thing to do.

A more sobering story: Once on 93 north around Waterville ValleyI was going 65 and I came upon a construction zone where the road narrowed to one lane with a concrete barrier on each side of the lane, with no shoulder. I slowed down and entered the "funnel." A car came up behind me doing something like 85. There was no escape for me. I was going to either hit the concrete barrier or be hit by the car behind me---likely both. At that point we were both in the funnel with no escape. The other car was no more than a foot from my bumper. To this day, I don't know why there wasn't a fatal accident. It defied the laws of physics. Maybe the only time in my life when I may have experienced a true miracle. The guy gave me a pissed-off look and blew his horn as he passed me on the other side of the barriers, as if he thought I had some choice in the matter. I pulled off the highway and called 911 to report the incident. The police caught the guy and I later passed them on the side of the highway.

Since that day my motto is, "Yield to whoever wants your space on the road." I don't engage in counter tactics against aggressive drivers, like deliberately going at exactly the speed limit to irritate them. I'm not in a hurry to get killed, whether by someone's reckless driving or road rage. Just give them the road and have a safe trip. And be hyper aware in construction zones because some people are not.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2022, 06:11 AM   #6
fatlazyless

No, this tail-gater was just being a tail-gating dumb idiot jerk, and he got caught by a cop who was staked out by the side of Rt-25, along Little Squam, and probably had a long and lengthy view on the road, there. So, thanks again to the Holderness Police for slapping that guy with a tail-gating violation which carries 2-insurance points and lasts for three years, or something, plus the $125-fine! ....

You know the cruise-control works excellent, going 35-mph in either 3rd or 4th gear in this Subaru 5-speed ...... so, how about that! ... think Subaru love!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-21-2022 at 05:12 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote