Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #1
Merrymeeting

Default Start of school at Kingswood

Looks like its going to be an interesting start to the school year at Kingswood HS in Wolfeboro.

Drove by the school at about 2:30 this afternoon. Twelve to fifteen students standing at the main entrance , apparently waiting for rides or a bus. All within a foot or two of each other. Only 2 masks in sight.

Later, when leaving Wolfeboro, saw football players, holding helmets and wearing masks. Lined up 6' apart. There was a coach at the head of the line taking temps of each player. Looked to be getting ready for practice.

How this all plays out, only time will tell.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Looks like its going to be an interesting start to the school year at Kingswood HS in Wolfeboro.

Drove by the school at about 2:30 this afternoon. Twelve to fifteen students standing at the main entrance , apparently waiting for rides or a bus. All within a foot or two of each other. Only 2 masks in sight.

Later, when leaving Wolfeboro, saw football players, holding helmets and wearing masks. Lined up 6' apart. There was a coach at the head of the line taking temps of each player. Looked to be getting ready for practice.

How this all plays out, only time will tell.
I think it's all gonna depend on leadership's threshold. There WILL be cases, but how many will it take to shut down? I think it only took Windham a couple...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 09-10-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I think it's all gonna depend on leadership's threshold. There WILL be cases, but how many will it take to shut down? I think it only took Windham a couple...

Listening to the protocols of the school where my son teaches--the shut downs are likely. At his school, every case leads to contact tracing. Each person with contact is then home for 2 weeks, so that's dozens of at home learners per case. If a teacher has cold symptoms, they leave the building immediately, and do not return for several days when their covid test comes back. Easy to see how this could multiply into chaos with only a few positives in the building.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
camp guy

Default Start of school at Kingswood HS

I agree with think, leadership is important, BUT, it all begins at home. Are parents preparing their children for school during these times. Are parents making sure their children understand the need to social distance, to wear a mask, to practice a high level of personal hygiene. Reopening school is a group effort, done individually. Having watched the news of some of the colleges reopening and then having COVID flare-ups because the college kids just couldn't keep from having welcome back parties makes you wonder just how much learning is going on at some of our institutions of higher learning. I hope the Wolfeboro HS students act with a higher level of maturity and follow their local protocols.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #5
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Your (mine too) thoughts are in the right place, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I agree with think, leadership is important, BUT, it all begins at home. Are parents preparing their children for school during these times. Are parents making sure their children understand the need to social distance, to wear a mask, to practice a high level of personal hygiene. Reopening school is a group effort, done individually. Having watched the news of some of the colleges reopening and then having COVID flare-ups because the college kids just couldn't keep from having welcome back parties makes you wonder just how much learning is going on at some of our institutions of higher learning. I hope the Wolfeboro HS students act with a higher level of maturity and follow their local protocols.
Speaking to public education:

The predictability of adolescent behavior is, at best, fleeting.

I have heard reports (over the years) of 7-12th graders who still pick their noses and eat it- have bm-s and don't flush (do they wash up?)- back-wash into each others water bottles as a joke- feet on chairs (who cares if you've been in the bathroom?)- and an entire assortment of gross behaviors. Most of it is the nature of the beast- we've all been there.

Are the times different?- Of course.

I think our expectations are very high. I hope the Home Leadership we would like to think exists will back us up!

Parents- step up- be role models, please!
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
nj2nh (09-13-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
Speaking to public education:

The predictability of adolescent behavior is, at best, fleeting.

I have heard reports (over the years) of 7-12th graders who still pick their noses and eat it- have bm-s and don't flush (do they wash up?)- back-wash into each others water bottles as a joke- feet on chairs (who cares if you've been in the bathroom?)- and an entire assortment of gross behaviors. Most of it is the nature of the beast- we've all been there.

Are the times different?- Of course.

I think our expectations are very high. I hope the Home Leadership we would like to think exists will back us up!

Parents- step up- be role models, please!
Don't forget that a sizable group of adults fought, and continue to fight, wearing masks—a prerequisite for almost every (every?) school in New England to open. Those adults are often parents.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
JanN (09-14-2020), JEEPONLY (09-14-2020)