Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
Winni1952

Default Retiring to Tuftonboro

Hello

Looking for information/advice from the forum...

I'm planning on retiring this year and am considering purchasing land in Tuftonboro (possibly Wolfeboro) and building in the near future.

I have never done this so am very concerned and I'm hoping I can benefit from some of the forum members experiences/knowledge.

I am envisioning a 2k sq.ft. hybrid post/beam house.....first floor master, 3bdrms, 2.5 baths with a partially finished basement.

I have a maximum budget of around 500k (land and house) so I wonder if this is even possible?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations for real estate agents to purchase the property and for specific builders that would be able to build this type of home.

Thank you all in advance for any information you can provide!!
Winni1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winni1952 For This Useful Post:
Advisor88 (01-27-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Default 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni1952 View Post
Hello

Looking for information/advice from the forum...

I'm planning on retiring this year and am considering purchasing land in Tuftonboro (possibly Wolfeboro) and building in the near future.

I have never done this so am very concerned and I'm hoping I can benefit from some of the forum members experiences/knowledge.

I am envisioning a 2k sq.ft. hybrid post/beam house.....first floor master, 3bdrms, 2.5 baths with a partially finished basement.

I have a maximum budget of around 500k (land and house) so I wonder if this is even possible?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations for real estate agents to purchase the property and for specific builders that would be able to build this type of home.

Thank you all in advance for any information you can provide!!
Tuftonboro is a great choice, and I wish we had chosen it instead of Moultonborough, where local politics get pretty snarky.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (02-10-2020), Wifi-1 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
winni83

The thread below has some useful information, my own input included. A 2,000 square foot new house may well consume much of that budget, depending on land cost. Best of luck and start planning early.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=23718
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #4
DesertDweller

I looked over in Tuftonboro a couple of years ago and there were a couple of nice communities with available lots off of Route 109. As I recall the lots were all over an acre and they started in the $60,000 to $70,000 range. If you can keep the land cost below $100,000 I think you should be able to pull off your $500,000 home (i.e. $100,000 for the land plus $200 a square foot for the house ($400,000)). Good luck. Tuftonboro is a good option. Favorable tax rates.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Good timing

Welcome to the Lakes Region. This is a good time in terms of low interest rates. Buying land with a mortgage can be more difficult than buying land with a finished house on it. At a time when skilled labor may be in short supply, you want to protect yourself against building delays, subs taking on too many projects and six month project running into many more months. Three parts here: land, builder, banker. A good banking relationship can make the other two parts a lot easier. Even if you're planning to pay cash, having a good banker on your side can provide extra leverage.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (01-18-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #6
Irish mist

Be aware that you might run into ledge when you dig on the property. When I built we ran into 3k worth of digging.

The guy on the lot next to me...over 25k in ledge to dig up. Something he did not budget for.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:05 PM   #7
ApS

Arrow Wolfeboro, but...

Four new properties within a stone's-throw from our place, took three years (each) to build to completion.

The most recent was built by a Massachusetts building contractor, who owns both (old and newest) abutting properties. (Lives in the old one).
Old 01-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
TheTimeTraveler

Be patient in the entire process as everyone seems to be working these days and it's hard to find help to get things done. Building a house is a huge endeavor and right now you will pay top dollar (because of the economy).

Looking at existing homes "may be" a better, easier route to take....

Of course if the economy tanks then that might be a great time to build your dream home.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Welcome to the Lakes Region

Tuftonboro is a nice area. A little remote from 'major' highways, not a problem with true New Englanders.
Find a realtor who is an excellent 'buyer agent'. Not familiar of any in that area but I can ask my contacts. When considering an HOA make sure you know the bylaws, it varies between communities.
I and others have found Benson Woods out of Walpole as an excellent contractor for all your construction planning and needs. The final cost per square foot is lower than if you try doing it alone. Give them a call or check their website. https://bensonwood.com/
Good luck!
Old 01-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

It seems like builders in the lakes region take much longer to build a home than back in Ma. I see homes in my neighborhood in Ma go up in 6 months. Up here in the lakes region it takes years. There is one in my neighborhood that's been under construction for a year already and not finished.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:12 AM   #11
radar4401

Default Retiring to Tuftonboro

Have you considered a company like Lindell Homes. I believe they can work with you and design the home to your specifications. One thing to think about, what do you plan to do in retirement i.e. ski, snowmobile, recreation. Where I live in Wolfeboro, I can swim, sail, hike, bike & ski without having to get in the car. There is a rail trail that is used year round. Also something to consider is who will take care of the snow removal. Distance from town may be a consideration when it comes to shopping and medical appointments. Good luck.
radar4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #12
NH.Solar

If you come across any attractive sloped lots have a topo map in hand as you walk them. With a little clearing it might be a possible to find a hidden view to the mountains or over water and that is a luxury that never grows old.
Also a lot that doesn't have power lines nearby shouldn't be automatically discounted as too expensive to develop anymore. During the last 3 or 4 years off grid solar equipment has developed to the point where it is actually often less expensive to install a system rather than running private power lines. The Outback Radian / Simpliphi / Kohler RES systems NH Solar favors can easily fully power a 200 amp service, are maintenance free, carry a 10,000 cycle (27+ years!) warranty on the battery, and will provide you with reliable full power ...and zero electric bills.
Even if you are going to be grid tied consider installing a good woodstove in the basement and pv solar to really cut back on your heating and electricity expense during your retirement years. It is not unlikely that you will see occasional power outages so be prepared for that with an essential loads generator or better yet a battery backed up solar system such as the LG/StorEdge system. Whole house automatic generators are wonderful but they are only single purpose and very expensive to install and maintain.
As you explore the different towns in the area be very aware of large 501C3 non-profits and State owned land, both have the effect of raising the tax base on the residents and will have an adverse effect on your long term tax expense. Tuftonboro is ok, Moultonboro golden, and New Hampton where I live ...not so good
As far as a realtor goes, the first one I'd call would be Nancy Deporter

Last edited by NH.Solar; 02-10-2020 at 03:00 PM.
NH.Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #13
Descant

Default Solar orientation

You can always move interior walls around, but you can't move the foundation. Think about where the plow will store snow, how to clear in front of the garage without back dragging and will the sun keep the drive way clean and dry. Usually, this means garage doors do not face the street. Minimum garage for me would be 2 1/2 cars wide. 24 x 24 is just too small. Although it is old, "Your Engineered House" by Rex Roberts has good info on siting. With solar power, some of his thoughts may be 180 degrees off now, but he still makes good points. There is a follow up book from 1987 by another author. Both on Amazon. I don't know much about the newer concepts of totally sealed houses, and attics, but an in-law just built one after two years of research and a year to find an accommodating builder and site. A very successful build and extremely energy efficient.
Most developments and subdivisions are laid out to get the most house lots; houses all faced dead on to the street. Not the best plans for best siting on an individual lot.

Have fun. Try to be onsite at least start and end of each work day. We had to tear down the same fireplace twice because the mason and the GC couldn't communicate. Fortunately we caught it mid-stream and the tear down was not a huge problem. (Center chimney cape, two Rumford fireplaces, four flues. Exposed fireplaces and/or chimneys on an end wall just don't make sense to me.)
Old 01-19-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
SAB1

I have a place in tuftonboro I bought int 2002. Love the area. My camp was very rustic, some called it a shed. Tore it down 4 years ago and rebuilt. Great experience. House was built by local contractor and built to withstand a hurricane. Finished two weeks after target date.
SAB1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #15
hemlock

Default 2009 build

Hi
I designed and built a 2000 square foot dormered cape with a covered wrap around porch in Tuftonboro in 2009. I acted as general contractor(my first time)
and arranged sitework ,foundation,framing,sheathing,roofing,windows,elec tric ,plumbing heating,insulation and sheetrock.

At that point I personally took over and did all
finish work including paint, pine trim,hanging doors,pergo flooring throughout,kitchen cabinets and light fixtures etc. This finish work took me 4 days a week from January 2009 when the sub work was finished, to June 2009 when I received my certificate of occupancy. My expenses were around 200000 total. Land cost (pond waterfront) was 165000 for a total cost of 365000.

It was a great experience. I think I was helped due to the fact that 2008,2009 was not a busy time for contractors.
hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #16
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I have nothing much to add other than Tuftonboro would be an awesome place for a main home and that it must be so exciting to build exactly what you want.

Congrats and good luck with the process! Please keep us informed with the project.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #17
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock View Post
Hi
I designed and built a 2000 square foot dormered cape with a covered wrap around porch in Tuftonboro in 2009. I acted as general contractor(my first time)
and arranged sitework ,foundation,framing,sheathing,roofing,windows,elec tric ,plumbing heating,insulation and sheetrock.

At that point I personally took over and did all
finish work including paint, pine trim,hanging doors,pergo flooring throughout,kitchen cabinets and light fixtures etc. This finish work took me 4 days a week from January 2009 when the sub work was finished, to June 2009 when I received my certificate of occupancy. My expenses were around 200000 total. Land cost (pond waterfront) was 165000 for a total cost of 365000.

It was a great experience. I think I was helped due to the fact that 2008,2009 was not a busy time for contractors.
Yes, 2008, 2009 was a different time. You could probably add 200K to that build now. Not only are the contractors all busy but building materials have increased tremendously since then.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:00 PM   #18
jazzman

Post and beam is a challenge for contractors. They hate them because everything is a little different. Plumbing and electrical is a challenge if you have 2 floors. The posts shrink and mess up floors and walls. Benson is a good choice but probably $250+ per square foot.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:55 AM   #19
GregW11

Our realtor, Kathleen Corcoran if the Bean Group in Meredith, did a fabulous job when we bought in Center Harbor a couple years ago. Our friends have used her twice as well. She can help with all the issues raised in this Forum. Give her a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
GregW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #20
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Post and beam is a challenge for contractors. They hate them because everything is a little different. Plumbing and electrical is a challenge if you have 2 floors. The posts shrink and mess up floors and walls. Benson is a good choice but probably $250+ per square foot.
Yes! Same with log homes too! Very challenging to the un-initiated...ask me how I know!
Usually no shrinkage though with kiln dried logs.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #21
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Yes! Same with log homes too! Very challenging to the un-initiated...ask me how I know!
Usually no shrinkage though with kiln dried logs.
A friend of mine had a log home built and has had nothing but problems with it. But he had his garage stick built and log sided to look just like the house. He said if he had it to do over that's the way he would have built the house too.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
4 for Boating

Default Post and Beam

I have to say we have been down this same road. Currently we have a camp that we have thought about knocking down for a Post and Beam Hybrid ~2,700 sq/ft home. We started thinking about this some 6-7 years ago. At that time, it seemed that sub $500K was a realistic target. Lots of good companies doing P&B kits and Hybrids (Habitat – Canadian Timber frames – Timberpeg…) beautiful homes and a few local builders experienced with these designs. All-be-it we were not envisioning a huge/grandiose home. Some builders can give you the P&B “look” inside without the actual structural aspects and increased costs. Not sure how good or bad those look.

Cut to today and the prices have gone through the roof with the same homes pushing $800K-$900K easy to build. (Close to $300 sq/ft) As others have called out – materials, the shortage of labor and the current economy are key factors. In fact, I spoke to one local builder doing a nice P&B Hybrid home that is almost done and his advice was not to build right now as the prices are crazy high and he’s struck by where the end price for the home will end up. Although there seems to be no shortage of people with money to buy million-dollar homes in the area.

I’m sort of second guessing myself as back 6 years ago my thought was to save more as to not have to take out a larger mortgage but now I find myself chasing an ever-increasing price point where I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to catch – joke.

Let us know how you make out as if you do find some sort of secret sauce to get this done without creating a financial disaster – we will be right behind you…. As for right now we will continue to enjoy the camp, lower taxes and squirrel our money away.
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #23
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
I have to say we have been down this same road. Currently we have a camp that we have thought about knocking down for a Post and Beam Hybrid ~2,700 sq/ft home. We started thinking about this some 6-7 years ago. At that time, it seemed that sub $500K was a realistic target. Lots of good companies doing P&B kits and Hybrids (Habitat – Canadian Timber frames – Timberpeg…) beautiful homes and a few local builders experienced with these designs. All-be-it we were not envisioning a huge/grandiose home. Some builders can give you the P&B “look” inside without the actual structural aspects and increased costs. Not sure how good or bad those look.

Cut to today and the prices have gone through the roof with the same homes pushing $800K-$900K easy to build. (Close to $300 sq/ft) As others have called out – materials, the shortage of labor and the current economy are key factors. In fact, I spoke to one local builder doing a nice P&B Hybrid home that is almost done and his advice was not to build right now as the prices are crazy high and he’s struck by where the end price for the home will end up. Although there seems to be no shortage of people with money to buy million-dollar homes in the area.

I’m sort of second guessing myself as back 6 years ago my thought was to save more as to not have to take out a larger mortgage but now I find myself chasing an ever-increasing price point where I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to catch – joke.

Let us know how you make out as if you do find some sort of secret sauce to get this done without creating a financial disaster – we will be right behind you…. As for right now we will continue to enjoy the camp, lower taxes and squirrel our money away.
Give it time, things will change. It always does. The next recession will bring things back to a reasonable level and there is always a next recession. You just have to be patient. You're lucky you have a place to enjoy while you wait it out.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #24
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Give it time, things will change. It always does. The next recession will bring things back to a reasonable level and there is always a next recession. You just have to be patient. You're lucky you have a place to enjoy while you wait it out.

A few friends of mine are contractors and they think we won't see a dip in construction costs even in the next recession as there simply aren't enough tradesmen currently to fill the need and too few in the pipeline.

Old 01-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #25
Biggd

A recession always resets things and it will happen. We just don't know when. We have had a long run now so IMO it's not far off. But who knows, I've been wrong at least once before. 😄

Old 01-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #26
map

All these towns around the lake are really nice. We are newly retired and just bought a small new construction cottage in a development in The Weirs area, but our budget was much lower than yours, though the little house we bought is expensive for what it is compared to the house we lived in for 32 years that we sold back in Sept. (btw- I don't know if you have to sell your current house first, but living in a rental while the new home was being built has been really tough at our age (In our 60's. We are, in fact, still in it, awaiting our final move in February). The builder is building several homes at once and we signed on 6/1 and closed 12/31 (and the house still has some issues that the builder needs to make good on). And this is an 1110 square foot simple cottage.

This said, we looked for quite a while all around NH (Meredith was my first choice) and it was hard to find a resale that was small for downsizing, in our price range and didn't need work to update it. That is why we went with the choice we did. Rare find. Low maintenance. Love the community and a great choice for us. And not too far from 93 and other conveniences and lots to do in the area as well.

We used to live on 10 1/2 secluded wooded acres in rural NY in a salt box colonial- 2600 square feet-and though we loved that lifestyle when we were working, it is simply too isolating for when you are older. This is why we chose a place that is the complete opposite of how we lived before. The house is even on a postage stamp size lot and we could hold hands with our neighbors. Crazy, I know.

BUT - since you have a much larger budget- and knowing what we know now about lack of workers, the new construction process and so forth- if I were you I would look for a resale and tweak it to how you want it. At least you could move in right away and enjoy your retirement years NOW.In your price point, finding something decent should be fairly easy. Don't forget, when you build it ALWAYS ends up costing more money than you anticipated. Building from scratch is a headache and since you are older why waste time and energy on it? You could be out on the lake this summer!

Maybe lower your expectations for the house you want? Unless, of course, you have tons of money, time and energy, and a great place to live in the meantime, and don't need to finance it, and it won't matter- then go for it I guess.

Last edited by map; 01-25-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Addition
map is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to map For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #27
map

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar4401 View Post
Have you considered a company like Lindell Homes. I believe they can work with you and design the home to your specifications. One thing to think about, what do you plan to do in retirement i.e. ski, snowmobile, recreation. Where I live in Wolfeboro, I can swim, sail, hike, bike & ski without having to get in the car. There is a rail trail that is used year round. Also something to consider is who will take care of the snow removal. Distance from town may be a consideration when it comes to shopping and medical appointments. Good luck.

Right. You have to take into consideration that one day you will be in your 70's and 80's + - not 60's. Maybe won't even be able to drive and/or walk, never mind ski or hike. Also- the maintenance of a big home can be too much to handle. Think, think, think....be realistic.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #28
Winni1952

Default Thank You

I really appreciate all the advice/information given so far!

I am concerned about the timing where the cost to build seems very high today. I'm not sure if I can purchase land and build for my 500k budget.

I plan on discussing this further with Bensonwood and Haywood and Co.

Purchasing an existing home and making changes or a new home presently being built may be my only alternative.Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything on the market that interests us at this time. We really want to locate in the Tuftonboro/Wolfeboro area

Thanks again for your guidance and I look forward to any other postings
Winni1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:26 AM   #29
8gv

Were I trying to sell a house now I would defer the listing until spring.

Hopefully you will see something you like come on the market then.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #30
NH.Solar

Default A really good contractor video series...

I've watched a lot of Matt's videos and there is always something good to be learned; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3KX8c3UVo4&t=901s
In the linked video he makes a special mention of Bensonwood Homes in Walpole and that's kinda cool.
There is also Habitat Post and Beam out of the Sturbridge area and they too prefab a beautiful home, but you will need to source your own builder.
Be careful about how and where you place foam, ants love to burrow into it.
The Following User Says Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (02-05-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #31
Descant

Default "On the market"

Many parts of NH have a low inventory of both new and used homes for sale. We have one "over 55" development in town where houses turnover, but are rarely publicly listed. People send an email to their HOA mailing list and within a day or two, there's a buyer with ready money. We used to talk about creative marketing to sell a house. Nowadays, perhaps you need to be a creative buyer?
Old 01-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #32
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Spring market

Quote:
I really appreciate all the advice/information given so far!

I am concerned about the timing where the cost to build seems very high today. I'm not sure if I can purchase land and build for my 500k budget.

I plan on discussing this further with Bensonwood and Haywood and Co.

Purchasing an existing home and making changes or a new home presently being built may be my only alternative.Unfortunately I'm not seeing anything on the market that interests us at this time. We really want to locate in the Tuftonboro/Wolfeboro area

Thanks again for your guidance and I look forward to any other

postings
The Spring market should be starting at any time now, usually February and March. Be ready with financing lined up if needed and get in with a good offer if you really like the place. Market is still strong, so cheaping out won’t work. Have reputable home inspector, as well as title company. Best of luck!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #33
sky's

not to bring politics into the arena but lets face it another 4 years of Trump as predicited the economy isn't slowing down. as an owner of a remodeling and new construction business we are booked 6 months out and like many others yes were short handed. if you're waiting for the next recession i wouldn't count on it any time soon. my best advice to you like the current customers i have now they did there research on my company talked to my other current customers, had several meetings in depth discussions on the project at hand and its a huge project btw. then they made there decision. as far as things costing more now??
i would challenge that good honest contractors will be here today and tomorrow. not sure if this has helped you but in short do your homework never take the lowest estimate and look for the best fit for your project. good luck.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #34
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
not to bring politics into the arena but lets face it another 4 years of Trump as predicited the economy isn't slowing down. as an owner of a remodeling and new construction business we are booked 6 months out and like many others yes were short handed. if you're waiting for the next recession i wouldn't count on it any time soon. my best advice to you like the current customers i have now they did there research on my company talked to my other current customers, had several meetings in depth discussions on the project at hand and its a huge project btw. then they made there decision. as far as things costing more now??
i would challenge that good honest contractors will be here today and tomorrow. not sure if this has helped you but in short do your homework never take the lowest estimate and look for the best fit for your project. good luck.
I know a couple custom home builders who are booked thru the end of next year. As you say, there is no reason to think it's going to slow down soon.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #35
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I know a couple custom home builders who are booked thru the end of next year. As you say, there is no reason to think it's going to slow down soon.
If you could predict the next slow down you'd be rich. No one knows until we are actually in it. It sneaks up on you.
If we do have another 4 years of prosperity it will happen after that because the next President will have deal with the enormous debt.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:57 PM   #36
TheTimeTraveler

Well, 100 years ago folks had to deal with the "Roaring 20's", that being the 1920's.

And by 1929 the bottom had fallen out of the market, and things were in bad shape everywhere in the USA until the beginning of WWII (which finally pulled us out of the depression).

Let's all hope that we never see something like that again!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 04:20 PM   #37
Cow Man

As a retiree, all things considered, I don’t think I would build a house in the lakes region today unless it was on the water and preferably on a lot I currently own. The economy that we are in may continue for several more years, but it will eventually fade and the cost of acquiring a home will drop…unless it is on the water. So, if you build a waterfront home today likely you can sell it at a profit a decade from now when it’s time to move into the Happy Valley Home. On the other hand, if you build an off the water home while the real estate market is as hot as it is you may not live long enough to see any return.

Everybody’s situation is different, but a home is a different type of asset in that we hope it appreciates in value while we are using it. So, if you do have a bag of cash sitting in a money market account making 0.01% in interest or you have invested heavily in equities and are convinced its time to sell, then take that money and build your dream home, enjoy it for many years and if everything works out have more money when you sell the house then you would have had the market tanked.

March 19 Update - If you have any money left, now would be a good time to buy or build a home. Interest rates are as low as they've ever been, home prices are heading south and builders schedules are freeing up.

Last edited by Cow Man; 03-19-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Cow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #38
8gv

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda bought more real estate in 2009...
Old 02-05-2020, 07:17 AM   #39
Biggd

Thumbs up

Buy low, sell high.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #40
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Don't forget though, if you are selling a house the price is also higher. If you wait for the market to go lower your present house will bring in less money most likely. And if you are retiring how many years do you want to wait? If Trump gets reelected which looks likely, it will probably be at least until he is out of office.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #41
TheProfessor

Quote:

Take the time and attend the International Builders Trade Show in Orlando Florida. TRADE SHOW The is the largest trade show in the world.

I view new homes being constructed in the Lakes Region that have 1970's technology. And perfectly fine if that is what one wants. But usually, folks don't have a clue what technologies are out there.

Just about everyone has a smart phone today. Yes, there are a few hold outs with flip phones.

Security cameras. They are all "wireless" now right? Well, where do you think that the power comes from? It comes from a wire.

The biggest mistake I see is the placement of the fireplace and the placement of the televisions.

The best one that I have seen was a lake home built with a whole wall fireplace/stone. Absolutely magnificent looking. Except no place for the living room television. So the television is placed on a metal TV dinner table with the TV wires running across the floor. Many/most of the HGTV home shows rarely show where the televisions go. Many/most of the fine home magazines rarely show a television set in any living room. Yet everyone (mostly) has a television set. Pre-wire for in ceiling/in wall surround sound sometimes called home theater. The sound coming from in ceiling/in wall speakers is light years ahead of any speakers on any television.

The heating system. Everyone want "high efficiency". The last one I viewed the heating contractor has had to make 7 (that I counted) visits AFTER the home was finished - to get this high efficiency heating system to work properly - as there are a multitude of "sensors" that either were not communicating properly with each other or just were not working properly. And that heating contractor is a well known highly rated heating contractor. It's not the contractor - it's the extremely complicated high efficiency heating systems.

If I were having a new home built - I'd put in some sort of redundant back up heating. Either a wood fireplace, propane wall heater, electric baseboard, or Monitor type kerosene heater.

Put in a whole house generator OR pre-wire for one.

Double up on the number of electrical outlets. Most builders will only put outlets in to meet code. With almost no thought as to practicality or customer usage.

The RG6 and cat5e/cat6 wires. Know where your router and modem are going to be placed. The basement corner is usually not the best place.

The garage door sensors. Pre-wire for the garage door sensors. I have seen way too many new homes where the wires for the door sensors are stapled to the sheetrock and not hidden behind the sheetrock. As the garage door sensors are an afterthought.

The land. Try to find a level lot on a paved road. Although many will state that living on a dirt road is fine. Just remember - dirt roads freeze in Winter and in Spring there is mud season.

How to prevent water in basement. Triple up on perimeter drains. You will have to ask for this. I have seen way too many new homes that develop water in basement and sump pumps have to be retrofitted.

Do check that the lot has access to cable - for internet. Not all areas have cable. Yes, there is satellite internet. Just not as good as cable internet.

Do your homework way ahead of time.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
Senter Cove Guy (02-05-2020), Y2K (02-05-2020)
Old 02-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #42
Biggd

Personally, unless you have money to burn, simple is better!
What I find with anything high tech is it changes so quickly that techs can't keep up and you can't get things fixed quickly and properly because of lack of training.
When you go to these home shows the sales reps are quick to sell you this new technology even though very few companies are properly trained to install and repair it. These sales reps are just out for their commission checks, BUYER BEWARE, JMO!
I've built 4 new homes and what I've realized over the years is everything is out dated or worn out in 5 to 8 years now. Everything is made like crap today.
If you deal with a reputable local builder he will know what's best for the area.
Best building practices in Florida aren't the same as best building practices in NH.

Last edited by Biggd; 02-05-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #43
sky's

that is some very very good advice!!! this is just a very small example. remember when the Adirondack house's were so popular? i cant tell you how many of those roofs leaked because the roof valleys weren't done properly or they had more dormers so close to each other that allowed the snow to build up causing leaks or early rot. keep it simple and talk with experience not some flashy stuff that will fail early. good luck
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #44
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Man View Post
As a retiree, all things considered, I don’t think I would build a house in the lakes region today unless it was on the water and preferably on a lot I currently own. The economy that we are in may continue for several more years, but it will eventually fade and the cost of acquiring a home will drop…unless it is on the water. So, if you build a waterfront home today likely you can sell it at a profit a decade from now when it’s time to move into the Happy Valley Home. On the other hand, if you build an off the water home while the real estate market is as hot as it is you may not live long enough to see any return.

Everybody’s situation is different, but a home is a different type of asset in that we hope it appreciates in value while we are using it. So, if you do have a bag of cash sitting in a money market account making 0.01% in interest or you have invested heavily in equities and are convinced its time to sell, then take that money and build your dream home, enjoy it for many years and if everything works out have more money when you sell the house then you would have had the market tanked.
Two things you'll have on your mind by the time you are a retiree:

First, if you're lucky, you will not be selling the home, your kids will. So unless your kids will need every dollar of their inheritance, maybe you don't need to worry about the return on investment.

Second, life is short--you have a limited number of years left to enjoy the house. So waiting 2-5 years to buy in the hope that prices will fall might cost you 10-20% of the time you have to enjoy your beautiful new home.

Carpe diem!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #45
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Two things you'll have on your mind by the time you are a retiree:

First, if you're lucky, you will not be selling the home, your kids will. So unless your kids will need every dollar of their inheritance, maybe you don't need to worry about the return on investment.

Second, life is short--you have a limited number of years left to enjoy the house. So waiting 2-5 years to buy in the hope that prices will fall might cost you 10-20% of the time you have to enjoy your beautiful new home.

Carpe diem!
Can’t agree more. As I told the roofer, just need to get 30 years out of it then it’s not my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #46
4 for Boating

Default P&B - Home Show

I received this recently - If one of these is near you, Habitat (P&B) kit company maybe be able to provide some useful information in your search. As stated they are one of a few that specialize in this type of home.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>

We are exhibiting at seven home shows over the next couple of months. We are notifying you of these events because you have requested information from us in the past, and live or are planning to build within a reasonable driving distance of at least one of these events. We encourage you to check our Facebook page, as it is the place where we post information about discount offers or passes if any become available.

Albany Home Show
February 7-9
Albany Capital Center
55 Eagle Street
Albany, NY 12207
Booth 296

Southeastern Connecticut Home Show
February 21-23
Earth Expo and Convention Center
1 Mohegan Sun Boulevard
Uncasville, CT 06382
Booth 928

The Log & Timer Show
February 28 - March 1
Double Tree by Hilton Hotel Burlington
870 Williston Road
South Burlington, VT 05403
Booth 116

Connecticut Home and Remodeling Show
February 28 - March 1
Connecticut Convention Center
100 Columbus Blvd
Hartford, CT 06103
Booth 412

Western Massachusetts Home and Garden Show
March 26-29
Eastern States Exposition and Better Living Center (Big E)
1305 Memorial Ave
West Springfield, MA 01089
Booth 39

Western New England Home Show
March 28-29
O'Neill Center
University Blvd
Danbury, CT 06810
Booth 415

The Rhode Island Home Show
April 2- 5
Rhode Island Convention Center
One Sabin St
Providence, RI 02903
Booth 834

You can also visit our website for a listing of other home shows we will be attending, or the Events section of our Facebook page.

Sincerely,
-- -- --
Huckle May

Habitat Post & Beam, Inc.
21 Elm Street
South Deerfield, MA 01373

Toll Free: 800.992.0121
Local: 413.665.4006
Fax: 413.665.4008

hmay@postandbeam.com
www.postandbeam.com
www.facebook.com/habitatpostandbeam
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #47
bruinsfan

Great area to live!

One bit of advise....please invest in a generator with a transfer switch that runs major appliances/heat/water pump or a whole-home generator if it's within your budget.

Power can be sporadic from Oct to March during wind/snow/ice storms and you don't want to be one of those people that move to a rural location and complain about power outages and restoration times.

The further you are from large "communities" the longer it takes the power utility to restore your power. They work according to the greatest amount of customers they can restore and if you live in an area that is sparsely populated, you'll be waiting a bit.

This is NOT a dig on the linemen who do great work, it's just a reality of living in paradise.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bruinsfan For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 10:08 AM   #48
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan View Post
Great area to live!

One bit of advise....please invest in a generator with a transfer switch that runs major appliances/heat/water pump or a whole-home generator if it's within your budget.

Power can be sporadic from Oct to March during wind/snow/ice storms and you don't want to be one of those people that move to a rural location and complain about power outages and restoration times.

The further you are from large "communities" the longer it takes the power utility to restore your power. They work according to the greatest amount of customers they can restore and if you live in an area that is sparsely populated, you'll be waiting a bit.

This is NOT a dig on the linemen who do great work, it's just a reality of living in paradise.

My spouse is a reliability engineer for the power company, her biggest complaint during outages is that people expect immediate results. The sad reality is she will deploy crews to your area to fix down lines and they will call back saying its 45 mph winds I am not getting into that bucket truck till it dies down... So you will wait until its A first safe for them to do so, and then B however long it takes for them to fix the problem, on top of C it depends on how many people are affected. If you are in the group of 30 people affected versus 3,000 you should expect a longer wait time.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #49
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
My spouse is a reliability engineer for the power company, her biggest complaint during outages is that people expect immediate results. The sad reality is she will deploy crews to your area to fix down lines and they will call back saying its 45 mph winds I am not getting into that bucket truck till it dies down... So you will wait until its A first safe for them to do so, and then B however long it takes for them to fix the problem, on top of C it depends on how many people are affected. If you are in the group of 30 people affected versus 3,000 you should expect a longer wait time.
Not to belittle your wife’s position at the power company but is a “reliability engineer” another name for dispatcher?
You know how job titles are so skewed nowadays (janitor is a “sanitary engineer”) and so on...just curious if you wife is actually a degreed engineer?
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #50
Biggd

Quote:
Not to belittle your wife’s position at the power company but is a “reliability engineer” another name for dispatcher?
You know how job titles are so skewed nowadays (janitor is a “sanitary engineer”) and so on...just curious if you wife is actually a degreed engineer?
I was a petroleum engineer when I was 15.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #51
thinkxingu

I'm a jetski research engineer.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #52
C-Bass

I find that in Suissevale when I lose power its due to the Melvin Village Sub station. Usually get it back pretty quick. The only exception is the Mar 17' Sno-Cane. That being said when I convert my house to propane I will be installing a whole house gen. It will be well worth it.
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #53
iw8surf

Quote:
She has 2 bachelors and a masters in engineering, she is an engineer by day in her 9-5 there. She's currently involved with designing the requirements for a lot of the EV charging stations as the electric car craze takes over. When storms hit they get put into storm duty and she dispatches crews then for some hefty OT pay. Now ya know why our bills are so high!

We sometimes joke about whos not a real engineer in our house, her being an electrical or me being a biomedical engineer! I think the 6 diplomas on our walls are enough to satisfy the argument where we both win.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
Biggd (02-10-2020), FlyingScot (02-10-2020), Hillcountry (02-10-2020), Newbiesaukee (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #54
Biggd

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I'm a jetski research engineer.

A degree for every thread started on the subject.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #55
thinkxingu

Quote:
A degree for every thread started on the subject.
A B.A. in historical research, an M.A. in accessory acquisition, and an M.S. in hull design theory and engineering.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:51 PM   #56
Biggd

Quote:
A B.A. in historical research, an M.A. in accessory acquisition, and an M.S. in hull design theory and engineering.

Do you have a BS also?
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 05:17 PM   #57
8gv

I have all you academics beat...

H.U. class of '79 valedictorian!

Old 02-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #58
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I have all you academics beat...

H.U. class of '79 valedictorian!

Alright, I looked up H.U. and I'm not getting it!

Old 02-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #59
thinkxingu

Quote:
Do you have a BS also?
I have a feeling my first "accident" will be drilling you when we tour Newfound Lake.

Old 02-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #60
Biggd

Quote:
I have a feeling my first "accident" will be drilling you when we tour Newfound Lake.

Just having fun. Did you buy that ski yet, or what?

Old 02-10-2020, 07:20 PM   #61
thinkxingu

Quote:
Just having fun. Did you buy that ski yet, or what?

In process! Hitting up the Boston Boat Show Saturday to sit on the machines and look at accessories and then ordering from DaSilva's at the Bedford Boat Show in March. Unless something significantly changes, it'll be a GTX 170 with audio, aluminum trailer, cover, etc.

I posted on the iboat Facebook page and have a few new jetski friends looking to hang out in the north and maybe you and I, and anyone else here, can connect at some point. I'm looking forward to being mobile as I've not boated on any other lake.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #62
thinkxingu

OP, sorry for throwing this off-topic...

Old 02-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #63
8gv

Quote:
Alright, I looked up H.U. and I'm not getting it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger_University
Old 02-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #64
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Congrats on your achievement!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
8gv (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 11:02 PM   #65
bruinsfan

Quote:
You’re quite angry and defensive.

I don’t care if the power goes out or stays out.... I’m prepared with a generator for my home.

I’m just saying to get one so you don’t turn into a bitter person that complains about the power in a rural area during a storm.... if your wife is anything like you, it’s a good thing I never have to call.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:30 AM   #66
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan View Post
You’re quite angry and defensive.

I don’t care if the power goes out or stays out.... I’m prepared with a generator for my home.

I’m just saying to get one so you don’t turn into a bitter person that complains about the power in a rural area during a storm.... if your wife is anything like you, it’s a good thing I never have to call.
Good luck to you buddy. I wish you nothing but the best
The Following User Says Thank You to iw8surf For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 07:29 AM   #67
bruinsfan

Quote:
Good luck to you buddy. I wish you nothing but the best
..and to you as well. I’m glad you took your meds this time.