Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
BlackCatIslander

Default Meredith's Shopping Center???

Has anyone heard what is going to happen with the shopping center? Brooks looks pretty lonely all by itself.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackCatIslander For This Useful Post:
Geneva Point (09-27-2012)
Old 01-30-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
phoenix

is the dollar place now closed also
Old 01-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
fatlazyless

I heard it thru the grapevine that the Brooks Pharmacy has a lease till mid-2008. Probably, it doesn't matter, but all the Brooks stores were recently sold to Rite Aid for like 1 1/2 billion. I also heard that the new Massachusetts based property owners of this shopping center want to tear the whole structure down and replace it with a single super-market tenant, like a Market Basket or a Shaw's and relocate the Brooks to the right end of the building, where Wardo's was.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Mickomally

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
I heard it thru the grapevine that the Brooks Pharmacy has a lease till mid-2008. Probably, it doesn't matter, but all the Brooks stores were recently sold to Rite Aid for like 1 1/2 billion. I also heard that the new Massachusetts based property owners of this shopping center want to tear the whole structure down and replace it with a single super-market tenant, like a Market Basket or a Shaw's and relocate the Brooks to the right end of the building, where Wardo's was.
This is a rumor I have heard repeated by several people, and it seems to have merit.
Brooks does indeed have at least a year left on their lease (I know this to be fact).
I've been told they (Crosspoint, the new owners)are looking to lease if possible, but are considering any viable option at this time.
Mickomally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Peechee

Default I miss TRUE'S, et al

Hmmm. I MISS TRUE'S and Waldron's old dugout, the old dairy bar at the crossroads and all the low-tech shops of yore.. Meredith has prime territory for the "festival marketplace" crowd, who seeks to put a Pottery Barn on every corner. Trouble is, it would make this unique spot just like a hundred others. Stay unique, I say...!
Peechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Default ...a Meredith Super Wal-Mart....crossroads of NH

With just a Brooks left, this empty shopping strip has got a terrific location. Even though it's probably not big enough, it would be a good spot for a smallish Super Wal-Mart complete with a grocery, pharmacy, general merchandise and garden center. The Plymouth Super Wal-Mart is small sized for what it is, but it does a huge busy business and is probably the #1 best Wal-Mart store in the world, imho.

All the land under the Meredith location was filled in wet lands, marsh, and a waterway that feeds into Meredith Bay. Thousands of truckloads of fill created this retail area in 1971. Go behind the strip retail structure today, and you find a very healthy looking large wetlands and a large creek type water way. Most likely, there's no way adding any more fill would be allowed today.

For the poor, over burdened, over-taxed, down & out, Wal-Mart shopper like me; building a new albeit small, Super Wal-Mart on this Meredith location, which could be called the crossroads of New Hamphire would be a big plus. It would fill the empty Wal-Mart void that currently exists in the mid-section of NH.

Where else can you go to buy a staple like a big box of generic Cheerios for only $1.50? Low prices, always!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-31-2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-2007, 10:33 PM   #7
phoenix

would love a market basket so we won't have to drive to Tilton
Old 02-01-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

Quote:
It would fill the empty Wal-Mart void that currently exists in the mid-section of NH.

!
Surely you have tongue in cheek FLL cuz as I'm sure your aware of,there is a Wal-mart right on the Gilford/Laconia line.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Default ...Plymouth NH Wal-Mart

Hi SIKSUKR...... the Gilford Wal-Mart is a very good store but it is a non Super so it has no food store, but what the hey I still like to go there.

Not all Wal-Marts are the same. Many are somewhat dreary messy stores, especially in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The one on Plymouth, New Hampshire is the best! Reasons: located up on a hilltop plateau with 20 mile mountain views, very high ceiling height, well maintained vinyl floor as opposed to ugly brown concrete, clean & orderly, terrific value in shoes, boots, clothes, tv's,food, fishing, camping, exercise equip, car car, garden plus intelligent employees including the tire & lube dept, 3 month return policy on broken lawn mowers. Waiting to get out the busy check-out registers is worth the wait.

If every Wal-Mart performed like the Plymouth NH Wal-Mart, the price of WMT stock would be at 77 and not stuck for six years at 47, imho.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
Lin

Quote:

For the poor, over burdened, over-taxed, down & out, Wal-Mart shopper like me; building a new albeit small, Super Wal-Mart on this Meredith location, which could be called the crossroads of New Hamphire would be a big plus. It would fill the empty Wal-Mart void that currently exists in the mid-section of NH.

Where else can you go to buy a staple like a big box of generic Cheerios for only $1.50? Low prices, always!
Like the idea but I'd dread the traffic in that corner. It's already a messy nightmare of a couple of intersections. They need to make a bypass without taking huge chunks of land.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

FLL,you kill me!
Old 02-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #12
Drummer Boy

Default Target Coming to Gilford

The land just north of the new Lowes in Gilford has been sold to the Traget Company, where they plan to start construction on a new store later this year.
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ...target....ugh!

....target!......I really hate target....my ex-girlfriend was a target girl and I was a wal-mart boy and that says it all.... she used to pronounce target with a soft g....talk about dumb....besides target doesn't even do any oil changes....let alone the ones for only $16.50!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #14
Mickomally

WOW...I am speechless
Old 02-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #15
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Boy
The land just north of the new Lowes in Gilford has been sold to the Traget Company, where they plan to start construction on a new store later this year.
Can you substantiate this? I have a close friend who owns in excess of 20 acres of land in that immediate vicinity, and another friend who owns two acres across the street. Neither of them have been given notice (as abutters) of any such sale nor of any such plans.

Just curious where you heard or read this, and whether this proposed project is in Laconia or in Gilford.

Can you provide any more details?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #16
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
Can you substantiate this? I have a close friend who owns in excess of 20 acres of land in that immediate vicinity, and another friend who owns two acres across the street. Neither of them have been given notice (as abutters) of any such sale nor of any such plans.

Just curious where you heard or read this, and whether this proposed project is in Laconia or in Gilford.

Can you provide any more details?
I'd be curious also, Pepper, as I always am -- I always wonder where people "hear" or "know" things from!

As far as receiving notice of a sale, there is no law requiring notice of sale of a property, unless the Lakes Region has more stringent laws than the State does. As abutters, the first notice your friends would have of Target putting in a store would be when Target or whomever were to file an application with the Planning Board or Zoning Board or whomever they are required to file with in the town in which the property lies; at that time all abutters would by law be "noticed" by certified, return receipt mail. (In addition, I don't believe any business would outright purchase a piece of property "assuming" that they can proceed with their plans without doing due diligence; this would include a contingency on the Purchase and Sale of gaining approval to build and open their store/restaurant/whatever else.)

If your friends want to find out if that property has, indeed, changed hands, they should check with the County Registry of Deeds. I would suggest checking with the Town, but usually the Town offices aren't aware of a property transfer until they receive notice from the Registry -- sometimes this can take upwards of two to three months, depending on how many transactions have taken place and how well or understaffed they are.

I'm no expert, but I have held a Real Estate Salesperson's license in this State for fifteen years now, and I also worked for a Town in southeast NH and in that capacity had to make sure all abutters were properly noticed when required. Hope this helps some!
Old 02-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #17
Drummer Boy

Default Target

I heard this from one of the business owners in the immediate vicinity. The project is in Gilford. I'll see if I can get more specifics this week and reporty back
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 AM   #18
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

FLL....Yuh....I'm with you as a fellow Target hater. It's the new PC speech.....Target is pronounced Tar-shay. Last year when the country of Niger came into the news,the pundents changed it to Nie-sheer.And don't forget our old favorites The Boston Celtics.Celtics is now pronounced "Kel-ticks" if you are among the "cool"
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Default ...absolutely positively absolutely!

That's correctimondo(!)......me...will always be a wal-mart guy.....never a target guy....refuse to got to a target ever-ever.

Getting back to the Meredith shopping center located next to the Spinelli theatre.....if you all will write in my name, fatlazyless, for Meredith town selectboard, I promise to bring a Super Wal-Mart to Meredith. That shopping strip of stores is almost totally vacant! Except for the lonely remaining Brooks pharmacy, it has a long list of real community-positive businesses that have all moved on: October Farm Market, E M Heath Super, Phu-Gee Chinese Restaurant, E M Heath Hardware, ParaFUNalia, Tape Escape, Wardo's, and a thirty year run for that large excellent variety store whose name I cannot recall.

If the Wal-Marts in neighboring Plymouth and Gilford are indeed, truly a big reason that some of these other businesses have moved on, then I'm at a loss for a direction here. What to say?

Anyway, if you want a Wal-Mart on that spot, write me in, FATLAZYLESS! I promise to accept any and all bribes, gifts and business gratuities with a smile! ...have a nice day and vote for me!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-04-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelln
Old 02-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #20
Janet

Default Fll

If I lived up there, and God knows I'd love it!, I'd definitely write in your name.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #21
ghfromaltonbay

Quote:
Getting back to the Meredith shopping center located next to the Spinelli theatre.....if you all will write in my name, fatlazyless, for Meredith town selectboard, I promise to bring a Super Wal-Mart to Meredith. That shopping strip of stores is almost totally vacant! Except for the lonely remaining Brooks pharmacy, it has a long list of real community-positive businesses that have all moved on: October Farm Market, E M Heath Super, Phu-Gee Chinese Restaurant, E M Heath Hardware, ParaFUNalia, Tape Escape, Wardo's, and a thirty year run for that large excellent variety store whose name I cannot recall.
FLL - The variety store was Ben Franklin and I miss it too. It was a real throwback to the original 5-and-10. The one in Wolfeboro also went away.

I'd vote for you but I'm not an NH resident......yet.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #22
michael c

Default the properety is too small

they are leasing 22,000 sq ft. I worked for the supermarket mentioned for 11 years and it is not even half the size they require .I have the blueprints in my hands of the entire building..Brooks wanted and now Rite aid wants a drive thru for their pharmacy..the only way to do that is for wardos to leave,build a new pharmacy on the right end with drive thru. there is not enough clearance on the left side of the building .Rite aid will take the right end and lease the left side to someone like me,who wanted to put in a smalll supermarket ,,about 45 % larger than October Farms. the other problem is that there are only 214 parking spaces and the cinema uses a lot of those and the florist on the other end uses some consider that Rite aid needs some and there are not enough spaces left for a large store .If you add the sq. footage of the exhisting brooks/rite aid and combine it with the 12,788 sq ft where oct. farms was, you come up with the 22,500 sq ft + - that the owner is now offering to lease
michael c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #23
jrc

Quote:

Anyway, if you want a Wal-Mart on that spot, write me in, FATLAZYLESS! I promise to accept any and all bribes, gifts and business gratuities with a smile! ...have a nice day and vote for me!
There you go with those felonies agian
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:12 PM   #24
Mickomally

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael clayton
they are leasing 22,000 sq ft. I worked for the supermarket mentioned for 11 years and it is not even half the size they require .I have the blueprints in my hands of the entire building..Brooks wanted and now Rite aid wants a drive thru for their pharmacy..the only way to do that is for wardos to leave,build a new pharmacy on the right end with drive thru. there is not enough clearance on the left side of the building .Rite aid will take the right end and lease the left side to someone like me,who wanted to put in a smalll supermarket ,,about 45 % larger than October Farms. the other problem is that there are only 214 parking spaces and the cinema uses a lot of those and the florist on the other end uses some consider that Rite aid needs some and there are not enough spaces left for a large store .If you add the sq. footage of the exhisting brooks/rite aid and combine it with the 12,788 sq ft where oct. farms was, you come up with the 22,500 sq ft + - that the owner is now offering to lease
Michael is 100% correct. The building itself is too small for even a small Walmart, and the lot itself is too small for a tear-down and a new Walmart to be built.
Like Michael I have intimate knowledge of this location, and I agree with him on this one. Sorry FLL! Maybe Walmart could build out on rte 104? You should give them a call

Michael, have you considered trying again to move forward with your idea? Perhaps the new ownership will be more helpful than the old ownership.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #25
MomCat

I, too, miss October Farms and Ben Franklin in that shopping center--they were both handy and--most important--appropriately SCALED for the area. The Brooks Phamracy is also very convenient, and we patronize it, along with the video place, cinema, and Hallmark store in that area and other stores nearby (e.g., Aubuchon Hardware). These small businesses serve the community well. Please, let's not try to turn Meredith into Tilton North! And, yes, I do shop at Wal-Mart and Shaw's, but I do NOT believe that the small strip mall in an environmentally fragile area just across the street from Meredith Bay is a suitable or desirable location for a major, large-scale, chain business. A key part of the charm and appeal of Meredith is that it is NOT Tilton or Gilford. If shoppers need the big-store experience a 20 minute drive to the north or south can satisfy their needs. Besides, anyone who has ever driven into Meredith on a weekend afternoon can testify to the traffic situation that ALREADY exists on Rt 25 coming into town from Center Harbor. A large-volume business with a big parking lot would only exacerbate this situation and in general undermine the quality of life that attracts people to this village to begin with. And as for Rt 104, so many of our visitors have commented on the beauty of the drive toward Meredith on 104 from 93--noting that they feel as they are really escaping into a world of peace and beauty, away from the chaos of "civilization"--and that includes big-box retailers. Let's not destroy what we love most about the Lakes Region in the name of "progress." (No, I don't own a business or work in Meredith, so this isn't about "turf"--it's about preserving this special place we all love.)
MomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #26
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

FLL I am a Meredith resident and I am definately writing you in.....you're my man. I much prefer a nice bribe to going through all the bureaucratical...(did I spell that right?) red tape. Need a septic permit or building permit?..bang....throw a few $$ your way.
Actually,I don't think we have the traffic count for any of the major retailers and since they require city sewer,I believe that leaves exit 23 out.
There are lots of us independants in the restaurant biz up here and the last thing we want is a string of Appleby's,Ruby Tuesday's etc etc.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #27
LuvTheM/VBearII

MomCat, I'm with you. I miss October Farms and Ben Franklin, also. And putting in anything larger than what was in that plaza before would make a really bad traffic scene even worse. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has sat in traffic for 25 minutes trying to get to Route 3 from Pleasant Street. We have Tilton and Gilford only a few minutes away - let's leave WalMart and Lowe's and (god forbid) Tar-zhay there and keep Meredith a small town!
LuvTheM/VBearII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #28
donnamatrix

Default Hannaford leading the pack

Right now, Hannaford is leading the pack as far as which store will go into the shopping center area. Lots of ideas going back and forth, and nothing solidified yet. Rite Aide does want a drive-thru (and it will be Rite Aide). Looks like the entire building where the garden store currently sits will be demolished, probably all the existing buildings will go... parking is an issue and being worked on right now.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #29
nj2nh

Cool Target v. Tarjay

Gotta join in this one. I love Target and Walmart. Here in Jersey, believe it or not, there is no Walmart near my home. However, there is a wonderful Target.

Rosie O'Donnell started the Tarjay pronunciation. Using it either means you are an idiot or trying to be funny or just silly. Better the latter than the former.

As for my beloved Boston Celtics, well, the people of Ireland are Celts, pronounced Kelts and not "Selts". So "Seltic" is actually, technically incorrect. Pronouncing it with the hard "c" is actually, technically right.

However, I cannot imaging calling the Boston team anything but the "Seltics" unless their 14-game losing streak (last I heard it was 14 anyway) is so embarassing that they are trying to change their image? Nah.

Jersey Girl
(fan of the Nets, Celtics, BoSox, Patriots, Bruins and Giants. HATE THE YANKEES)
Old 02-05-2007, 10:39 PM   #30
michael c

Default it will not be a hannaford or shaws or M.B.

because we had discussions about becoming an independant shop& save and they told me it was too close to their new location and had no interest in the site . If they should change their minds they will be tied up in court so long that they will all be long dead from old age before it would be resolved..
my favorite bumper sticker is :
"my lawyer can beat up your lawyer and his brother "

:but that is a moot opinion ,,,they don't want to go there ...shaws looked at a 4 acre site near Meredith ford but its still not large enough for their needs
I have since bought another property in the area with my two brothers .
If anyone wants to go in there , i now own $120,000.00 worth of refridgerated meat ,deli,dairy and frozen food cases and I have them in a warehouse in Nashua great low price !!!
Our new location will have about as large an impact to the area as that market would have had,though not a supermarket
Old 02-06-2007, 01:50 AM   #31
Mickomally

Quote:
Our new location will have about as large an impact to the area as that market would have had,though not a supermarket
Good luck with your new project Michael!
Your responces to this post have rung very true in relation to what I have heard.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #32
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
Rosie O'Donnell started the Tarjay pronunciation.

...and now I will never, ever say Tarjay again.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #33
MomCat

The Frenchified pronunciation of Target--"Tar-zjay"--is a lighthearted pot-shot at pretentious shoppers who like to name-drop about trendy, upscale boutiques with equally pretentious French names ("Oh, do you like it?--I found it at Tarzjay!"). We also like to refer to Marshall's as "Mar-SHALL'S"--much more impressive! But as much as I enjoy finding bargains at major off-price retailers, I still don't think that Meredith is the right location for them, or for a giant supermarket like Shaw's or Market Basket. Besides Jackson's seems to serve the area very well, especially with the renovations and expansion. We also like to shop at Bob's Shur-Fine in Ashland. This is a real "blast-from-the-past" local market, with excellent meats (great steaks and ribs ) at very competitive prices. No gourmet take-out, bakery, or service deli, but all the basics at fair prices--and you're in and out quickly. This is what made October Farm Market (which did have a bakery and deli) so appealing in Meredith. It would be nice to have something like it again on that side of town.
MomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #34
IrishEyes

I "heard" that the lead contender for the shopping plaza is Market Basket. Brooks will be moving to the old Rite Aid location and that building will be built out in the back (probably to accommodate a drive thru.) Just heresay........

Personally, I would love to see a Trader Joe's move into that location; it's a much smaller store - they consider themselves a neighborhood grocery store with great prices and selection of foods, etc. (not to mention their Two Buck Chuck wine!) We don't have anything like that in this area.
IrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #35
MomCat

We've read about the Trader Joe's rumor before and think it would be a nice addition to Meredith. They are more like a "neighborhood" grocery, and the variety (wide array of ethinic and organic foods) and the prices are especially appealing. But when we asked an acquaintance who works at TJ's corporate office about the possibility, he hadn't heard of any plans. This was last year, so perhaps there's renewed hope...?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #36
IrishEyes

On the Trader Joe's website: www.traderjoes.com - you can e-mail them with a location request. Maybe if they get enough requests for this location, it will prompt them to check it out. Just a thought...........

That little shopping plaza is not large enough for a Hannaford or Market Basket and it would be very convenient to have a small grocery store in town. Jackson Star is OK if you are desperate and don't have the time to drive to Gilford. Most people (from what I've seen and heard) only shop there for a few items at a time, due to the prices. It's a shame the prices aren't more competive with other grocery stores.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #37
phoenix

no offend anyone but it is tough to sort out fact from opinion( or hope). One fact is there is only one store left. Are there any firm plans to scrape the site and put in some thing else. I assume that this summer we will still have Brooks and nothing else
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #38
Mickomally

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
no offend anyone but it is tough to sort out fact from opinion( or hope). One fact is there is only one store left. Are there any firm plans to scrape the site and put in some thing else. I assume that this summer we will still have Brooks and nothing else
No offence taken here.
There are no firm plans as of yet, and this comes from someone who has spoken this week with the actual property owners.
You are probably right that there will be Brooks + 0 in there this summer!
Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 AM   #39
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Smile Anyone see this ??

Quote:
That's correctimondo(!)......me...will always be a wal-mart guy.....never a target guy....refuse to got to a target ever-ever.

FLL, I think we all know how you feel about Wal-Mart
Unfortunately I'm a non-voting tax payer so I can't write you in.

Has anyone seen a truck like this around Gilford?
Attached Images

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #40
donnamatrix

Default Trader Joe

Trader Joe's respectfully declined to pursue putting a shop in the Lakes Region. Closest one is in Nashua, actually. TJ's believes that, because the Meredith area is so "seasonal" there is insufficient traffic to keep a store of their caliber a going concern. The Hannaford, should it be built, will be similar to the one in Alton, which is not a huge store.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #41
IrishEyes

Default Trader Joe's

There is one in Nashua?? Where?? I thought the closest one was in Mass.

I don't think TJ's realizes how busy this area is year-round. Obviously, not as busy in the winter; however, with all the people moving to the Lakes Region, there is certainly enough traffic to keep it going.

IrishEyes
Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #42
wMw

Default Trader Joe's

>>>>> There is one in Nashua?? Where?? I thought the closest one was in Mass. <<<<<

It's actually just over the border in Tyngsborough, MA, just a short distance from COSTCO. I would love it if there were one a lot closer...but then I'd probably spend more $$$ trying all the new things that seem to be there the few times I get there.

Sing...Dance...Love...Live deliberately!!!
wMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #43
fatlazyless

Default ...Hey Skipper!

Hey Skipper of the Sea Que.....Ahoy there...thanks for the 'We sell for Fat Lazy LESS'.....very excellent photo of the back of a Wal-Mart 53' box van! Speaking of which.....I sure wish I could get a job as a Wal-Mart driver out of their Raymond NH distribution center except Wal-Mart will not even consider a driver unless he/she has something like 300,000 miles of driving in the last three years. Wal-Mart drivers have to be very very experienced!
I just recently completed a 12 week/$4500. CDL-A truck driving course at New Hampshire Community Technical College in Littleton NH and was even able to pass the NH Dept Motor Vehicle tests for a CDL-A driver w/ tanker, haz-mat, & double-triples endorsements. However, I have absolutely no truck driver experience except for the school experience and am having a very difficult time finding a somewhat local trucker job in the Meredith area. It looks like I may end up as a long distance trucker with www.goroehl.com out of Groveton NH if I can make it through their 24 day orientation. They have you drive with a trainer from like South Dakota to Georgia, or somewhere, and back a few times, and live in the truck . After that, I think I like their seven day on/off schedule.....sort of a seven day trucking adventure...ulp....but what do I know. Maybe, you want to take a peek at www.roehldriver.com, to see what's going on with the truck drivers.

And don't forget, everything you own probably got there on a truck, or at least fell off a truck!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-07-2007 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spell-n
Old 02-07-2007, 11:02 AM   #44
michael c

Smile meredith shopping center

When considering this site, please remember that the foot print of the building may NOT change. Someone can put a new facade on the building, but that is all. the stream out back, at one point, comes so close to the building that there is barely enough room to drive a vehicle by the back edge of the building. A small supermarket would do nicely there.

The empty October Farms takes up 12,781 sq ft. the existing brooks is 8377 sq ft. There are no supermarkets, walmarts, costcos or anything going in there. The privately owned supermarket makes sense because summers are a given and winters, the local population would still support it. I have the surveys and studies on the site along with blue prints. There will be NO construction behind the existing building. Any drive through would have to be on the right side of the building, and even then, they may have to remove the last 10 feet of the existing building and thus, make the entire footprint a tad smaller, which is acceptable to the town. They would also be required to bring the entire building more in line with the "main Street " idea
Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #45
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix
Trader Joe's respectfully declined to pursue putting a shop in the Lakes Region. Closest one is in Nashua, actually. TJ's believes that, because the Meredith area is so "seasonal" there is insufficient traffic to keep a store of their caliber a going concern.
I wonder if there is sufficient traffic in the exit 20 area?

Now?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #46
Gatto Nero

Quote:
The privately owned supermarket makes sense because summers are a given and winters, the local population would still support it.
Wasn't October Farms a privately owned supermarket? Didn't they close down because the local population didn't support it?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #47
michael c

Smile Meredith Market

"Wasn't October Farms a privately owned supermarket? Didn't they close down because the local population didn't support it? "

Yes it was privatly owned but it closed some time ago and the off season is not as off season as it used to be . these days there is so much activity and the demographics have changed so much that it would be very viable. Just look at the Mills and the landing and Lagos etc... try to picture them
existing 15 years ago ... the building in question needs so much work to it that it will take some major money to fix it ..someone with deep pockets ,,,someone like Rite Aid
Old 02-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #48
Gatto Nero

I'm no demographer, and my misspent youth dulled more than a few braincells, but I thought it only closed a couple or three years ago. Perhaps a specialty store such as Trader Joe's would fair better but I doubt things have really changed that much that just another small supermarket would be able to compete long term.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #49
Mickomally

Quote:
When considering this site, please remember that the foot print of the building may NOT change. Someone can put a new facade on the building, but that is all. the stream out back, at one point, comes so close to the building that there is barely enough room to drive a vehicle by the back edge of the building. A small supermarket would do nicely there.

The empty October Farms takes up 12,781 sq ft. the existing brooks is 8377 sq ft. There are no supermarkets, walmarts, costcos or anything going in there. The privately owned supermarket makes sense because summers are a given and winters, the local population would still support it. I have the surveys and studies on the site along with blue prints. There will be NO construction behind the existing building. Any drive through would have to be on the right side of the building, and even then, they may have to remove the last 10 feet of the existing building and thus, make the entire footprint a tad smaller, which is acceptable to the town. They would also be required to bring the entire building more in line with the "main Street " idea
This is also correct from everything I have heard.
We should have a pool and take bets on who's predictions will prove accurate.
I have dibs on Michael Claytons predictions!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #50
fatlazyless

Default ...E M Heath Super is super-duper!

I'm a Heath's guy! I like their free cup of coffee in a choice of six Vermont Coffee Roasters flavors. A brandy new pet store is getting interior remodelled just next door between the NH State Liquor Store and Heath's. Just imagine.....freebie coffee and a new pet store to window shop....the only thing better would be a pet store devoted entirely to Basset Hounds......arrrrrroooooooo!

So, if Hannaford's or Shaw's or Trader Joes' ever gets shoe-horned into Meredith, will it have free give-a-way cups of terrific hot coffee?
Old 02-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #51
IrishEyes

Default Meredith Market

Quote:
"Wasn't October Farms a privately owned supermarket? Didn't they close down because the local population didn't support it? "

Yes it was privatly owned but it closed some time ago and the off season is not as off season as it used to be . these days there is so much activity and the demographics have changed so much that it would be very viable. Just look at the Mills and the landing and Lagos etc... try to picture them
existing 15 years ago ... the building in question needs so much work to it that it will take some major money to fix it ..someone with deep pockets ,,,someone like Rite Aid

I was under the impression that it wasn't the lack of business or foot-traffic that caused the demise of that strip mall; rather the rent increases forced out the existing tenants. Again, heresay.............

The demographics in the Lakes region have certainly changed. Belknap county is one of the fastest growing counties in NH and Meredith may be one of the fastest growing towns. The traffic on Rt. 3 and 25 prove that! It's busy year-round.

Trader Joe's would be a great addition to the area; they have the funds to renovate that old building too. That would be my first choice, but it would be fun to cast our votes and see who wins.......................not sure if they serve "free" coffee though - FLL. They have so much to offer, you wouldn't miss it!!

IrishEyes
Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 PM   #52
phoenix

i would vote for TJ's also but hope that a drug store remains. Closest one to Moultonboro
Old 02-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #53
dpg

Personaly I don't see the big deal over Trader Joes, I'm not impressed. Then again when I said I like Olive Garden I was attacked from all sides!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #54
MomCat

I'd vote for a Trader Joe's (or a nice small market) and the Brooks. The old Rite Aid near Jackson's Star was pretty awful, and the prices seemed high; no loss when it closed. Although the current Brooks storeis a bit crowded, it has good sales, and we've received excellent service at the pharmacy. I agree that the growth in visitors and residents in the Meredith area has been extraordinary in the past 10-12 years, due in no small part to the several inns, shops, and restaurants and the overall charm of the village. In fact, we are giving serious consideration to converting our vacation home near Meredith into our year-round retirement home. BUT we don't want to find the very things we want to escape--huge retailers and shopping malls, traffic, noise, and congestion. Let's not ruin paradise in the name of "progress" or "convenience."
Old 02-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #55
phoenix

dpg you certainly have your opinion but i always look at the parking lots and if they are filled then they must be doing something right. TJ is very big in the west and great stuff that you can't get in a normal store including decent cheap wine but in all likelihood they won't come to lakes region no matter whether anyone on this forum likes them or not. to me the key is we keep a place to get presciptions filled so hopefully brooks or rite aid( i think right aid bought brooks ) stays in business
Old 02-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #56
BlackCatIslander

Default Phoenix is Correct

In August of 2006 a Canadian group announced the sale of the Brooks Drug and the Eckerd Drug chains to Rite Aid for 2.55 billion dollars. So, we can expect to see the Brooks name disappear. I like Brooks and fill prescriptions both in MA and NH at their stores.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:46 AM   #57
BBS2

Default TJ's

I followed the suggestion from a previous post and got onto their website. You need to look around a little but there is a spot for a request for them to look at new locations. Considering all the folks (except dpg) who would like to see a TJ's here, if we let them know maybe they would reconsider!
I agree that the area is 4 seasons now and we should let TJ's know that.
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #58
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
dpg you certainly have your opinion but i always look at the parking lots and if they are filled then they must be doing something right.
Phoenix - I absolutely agree. Saturday night I went to an Olive Garden in Mass at 4:15 and waited 1/2 hour for seating. TJ's does have decent Nuts and things I suppose can't talk about the Wine - don't drink!

O.K. It's about time I get off the Olive Garden express once and for all!!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 AM   #59
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBS2
I followed the suggestion from a previous post and got onto their website. You need to look around a little but there is a spot for a request for them to look at new locations. Considering all the folks (except dpg) who would like to see a TJ's here, if we let them know maybe they would reconsider!
I agree that the area is 4 seasons now and we should let TJ's know that.
Here is the link http://www.traderjoes.com/location_requests_form.aspx
Old 02-09-2007, 11:21 AM   #60
beagle

Default I sent in my request!

Thanks for the link; I just submitted my request for TJ's! We love them here in Connecticut. Although they sell some stuff that I can get in my local supermarket, it is so much cheaper at TJ's-like my husband's favorite cereal costs $4.50 at the super and about $2.70 at TJ's. Also, one of my kids has a wheat allergy, and I can buy him a lot of wheat free, kid-friendly food there which doesn't contain preservatives, BHA/BHT, etc. If they don't come to NH, I guess I'll just have to fill a trailer full of their goodies when we come up this summer. They supposedly do have great wine "two buck chuck" that my friend in California highly recommends, however they are not allowed to sell it here in Conn. for some reason.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #61
MomCat

Default Now it's your turn

OK, I, too, just went into the TJ's location request site (thanks for the link, Gatto Nero!) and posted a location request--with a message in the "Additional Comments" section about why a TJ's would be a welcome addition to the area and in that particular location (busy intersection, sophisticated but value-conscious year-round population, etc.) . I think it's important for TJ's to know that this is not just a summer destination but a year-round playground and life-style choice, with people from all over the country and world attracted to the Lakes Region--a demographic that suits TJ's business. This is clearly a case of nothing ventured, nothing gained...what do we have to lose? Who's next?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #62
Weirs guy

Done, with a link to this thread pasted into the comments section!!

Now?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:28 PM   #63
MomCat

Great idea, Weirs Guy! I didn't know how to do that as a link, but I did mention Winnipesaukee.com and the Forum in the comments. As a novice poster (but long-time visitor), I remain relatively low-tech , but I hope to learn. It will be interesting to see what, if any, response we get from TJ's (other than the automatic e-mail response already received).
Old 02-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #64
jkjoshuatree

Red face Sorry To Rain On Everyone's Parade...

...but, Trader Joe's will never go into Meredith.

I don't know if anyone is familiar Rt. 20 in Marlborough, Massachusetts, but it's the most major east-west thoroughfare in the state.

Trader Joe's won't even look at it. It's not a busy enough spot.

So the chances of them going into Meredith are pretty slim. Even during the busiest parts of the season (which are technically a few holiday weekends and maybe ten or eleven full weeks spread throughout the year) Meredith is no where near busy enough to support a Trader Joe's.

Don't get me wrong, a Trader Joe's is EXACTLY what Meredith needs (or how about a tiny Whole Foods Market-now that's a dream come true) but it's not going to happen.

P.S. I'm submitting my request to TJ's too!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #65
IrishEyes

Default Thanks So Much

to all of you who took the time and effort to go into Trader Joe's website and fill out a location request for Meredith/Lakes Region. Thanks to Gatto Nero for posting the link to that page and to all of you who also posted a link to this forum - great thinking!!

Every time my friends come to visit from Mass; they call and ask me what I need/want from TJs! On their last visit, they filled a basket full of goodies for me - what great guests they are!! It would be so convenient to shop there myself.......................we'll see what happens.

Have a great day everyone!

IrishEyes
Old 02-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #66
KonaChick

I'm not too sure the locals would agree that TJ's is the best option for that spot. I know they have a wide variety of great things but it truely is a specialty kind of shop. If I were living in the Meredith area full time I'd think a supermarket would best fit my needs...and the needs of the weekend warriors as well. Just my two cents.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #67
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomCat
Great idea, Weirs Guy! I didn't know how to do that as a link, but I did mention Winnipesaukee.com and the Forum in the comments. As a novice poster (but long-time visitor), I remain relatively low-tech , but I hope to learn. It will be interesting to see what, if any, response we get from TJ's (other than the automatic e-mail response already received).
Its real easy MomCat. Just double click on the web address (i.e. www.winnipesaukee.com/forums) at the top of your web browser to highlight the entire address, right click on the highlighted text, select "copy", and then repeat the right click, selecting "paste" to paste the address where you'd like!

Now?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #68
Island Girl

Default Me too

I put in a request for Meredith as well... can get there by boat and a nice walk.

I rarely go into a supermarket anymore... just for soda, and some canned goods. All of my shopping is BJ's, Idylwilde Farms (a wonderful farm stand in Acton , MA) and Trader Joe's... once in a while Whole Foods if I can't get to the others. TJs has great prices and cool stuff... for those of you with very hard water, try their shampoo and conditioner (says Nourish on the bottle), really cheap and better than Paul Mitchell!!

Oh, but then there is the frozen food section... veggies to die for, sherbet that is low calorie and excellent (the lemon tastes like Richies Slush from Boston), precooked brown rice... yummy!

Head for the goodies section and pick up a cheesecake, or some chocolate delights. I could go on an on...

The closet one to the lakes region is in on the Tyngsborough line in the same shopping strip as the Outback Restaurant.

Keep those requests going into Trader Joe's!!!

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #69
MomCat

Default Thank you!

Thanks, Weirs Guy--I'll try it the next time I want to include a link (I assume that this will work for any address). I've certainly used many of the links Forum members have provided over the years. Posters bring so much knowledge and enthusiasm to the Forum--it's a goldmine of information, opinion, and news! Most of all, it seems to bring out the best in people--or does it simply bring out the best people? Either way, we all benefit!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #70
GrandmaBig6

Default Video Rental

Just checking in as long as we are on the subject of the Meredith shopping center.... is the video rental store still there? There was talk last summer of selling the business or something.

Thanks.
GrandmaBig6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #71
Mickomally

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaBig6
Just checking in as long as we are on the subject of the Meredith shopping center.... is the video rental store still there? There was talk last summer of selling the business or something.

Thanks.
Unfortunately the "Tape Escape" is no longer open. They closed up shop around the holidays.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:21 PM   #72
beancover

Default No Walmart - please!

People, people, think. Think about what we have left here in the Lakes Region. Think about what we need to do to preserve it, to save what is unique. Gentrification is the creeping disease of the new millenium. Every town has a Burger King, a Home Depot, a BJ's, or god help us, a Walmart. You can forget where you are when you travel because it has all become the same. The friendly folks at Heath and True Value who know your name when you walk in, will be replaced by a Walmart greeter, because these independantly owned retail stores will not be able to compete with the carnivorous big box stores. Be careful what you wish for...
beancover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #73
JED

Oh,Truer words were never spoken!!
JED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #74
phoenix

Saw the sign outside today that Crosspoint has taken over the complex and with only one store active you can be sure that they will do something to renovate and get it full. Nothing active yet
Old 04-29-2007, 05:45 PM   #75
fatlazyless

October Farm Market, Parafunalia, Wardo's, Ben Franklin, Tape Escape, and across Route 25, the Lake Shore Deli......all empty retail spaces. Who ya gonna blame? That retail space went from a mecca to a big vacancy in three years.

A lot of people must be going to the Super Wal-Mart in Plymouth since it's almost always busy since opening about five years ago.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #76
Mickomally

Quote:
October Farm Market, Parafunalia, Wardo's, Ben Franklin, Tape Escape, and across Route 25, the Lake Shore Deli......all empty retail spaces. Who ya gonna blame? That retail space went from a mecca to a big vacancy in three years.

A lot of people must be going to the Super Wal-Mart in Plymouth since it's almost always busy since opening about five years ago.
October Farms = Lease was up, rent incresed too much
Same with Parafunalia, Ben Franklins.
Tape Escape has had its business eaten away from competition like BlockBuster, Net Flix, and On Demand.
Lakeshore Deli was also partly based on competition, and the difficulty of operating in a seasonal area.
Walmart had little to do with any of these things, especially the one in Plymouth.
I will give you one thing though, Walmart in Plymouth always seems busy because there is never more than 2 registers open it seams!!!
Low on prices and customer service.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #77
fatlazyless

Maybe the prior owner of the Meredith Plaza didn't lower the rents after a couple months of vacancy in hopes of selling the plaza, knowing it would be easier to sell while vacant. How many months does a retail space have to be vacant before it's time to lower the rent?

Maybe it will become a gigantic flea market with 37 different kiosks. Maybe an '800' telephone call service center for the national telephone service of India. "Hello my friend.....ayuh.....live free or die, Lt Commander Ghandi, and have a nice day!" Hope springs eternal just like this warm and sunny springtime!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #78
offmycloud

When they moved the "Pizza Train" out of that plaza that was the beginning of the end. No more fun - just boring retail there.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #79
EricP

I would HATE to see Walmart in town, Target is a much better. Their stores are cleaner and the quality of merchandise is better. That said, neither would fit in that location anyway.

Trader Joes probably won't come to NH because they can't sell booze and that is a large part of their business. I heard this somewhere along the way and that is why Tyngsboro is the closest location.

It's sad we lost the stores that were there, October Farms, Parafunalia, Ben Franklin, etc.. it was a nice plaza driven out by greedy ownership. I miss those stores.

Just hope Meredith stays the nice town it is.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #80
Irish mist

If I recall Trader Joes is in NH......Nashua I think.
________
Colds &Amp; Flu Forums

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #81
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist
If I recall Trader Joes is in NH......Nashua I think.
It's right over the line in Tyngsboro, MA
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:42 AM   #82
BBS2

Default TJ's

No...it is inTyngsboro, within feet of the NH border. I really wish they would reconsider. Maybe another try at the website?!
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #83
nj2nh

Default Trader Joe's

I have been to several Trader Joe's and not a one of them sells alcohol so I don't think that is the reason.

Jersey Girl
Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #84
Irish mist

Thanks for the correction on Trader Joes location. The Trader Joes in Cambridge MA sells wine & beer, or did the last time I visited there several yeas ago.
________
SUBARU IMPREZA WRX WRP10 SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:52 PM   #85
nj2nh

Default Trader Joe's

It is interesting that there is a TJ that sells liquor. Seems to go against what they are all about, doesn't it?

As for me, I am a Whole Foods (Bread and Circus is the same store) fan.

Jersey Girl
Old 05-07-2007, 08:01 PM   #86
wehatetoquitit

The TJ's in California, at least in Sacramento, sells wine, beer, and Hard Liq. (scotch, bourbon, gin, vodka, etc).
wehatetoquitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #87
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl
It is interesting that there is a TJ that sells liquor. Seems to go against what they are all about, doesn't it?

As for me, I am a Whole Foods (Bread and Circus is the same store) fan.

Jersey Girl

But it's still ORGANIC!

I'd love to see a TJ's in the area - I got used to them when I was in CA, too. Found them again in MA. I go out of my way to go to them when I can. But one in Meredith would be very nice. I'm in Alton and would gladly drive there to shop!

I trekked into Meredith and Center Harbor this last weekend after following this thread for sometime, and was amazed at the growth that's taken place. I hope it continues in a positive and fitting trend and not in a trashy, commercialized one...

Ditto for little ol' Alton...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #88
BlackCatIslander

Default When is the opening?

We drove by the new Hannaford's today and it looked as though it might be open by month's end. Have they indicated when they are opening?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #89
michael c

Default Hannafords in Meredith

Store opening is scheduled for November 11th . i reserve the right to change that by 2-3 days but that is almost cast in stone. i will find out tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #90
phoenix

will another store go in addition to Rite Aid as it looks to be too large for just two establishments
Old 09-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #91
wildwoodfam

Default Whole Foods Sells Wine TOO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
It is interesting that there is a TJ that sells liquor. Seems to go against what they are all about, doesn't it? As for me, I am a Whole Foods (Bread and Circus is the same store) fan. Jersey Girl
In fact they (WholeFoods) won the 2007 Winestar Award as a leading retailer in the wine business!!

As for Trader Joe's - We LOVE the Two Buck Chuck!!!

But to answer another question above - according to their website only a handful (3) of the Trader Joes in Mass sell wine and beer. Tyngsboro is listed as not carrying beer and wine - but they do - unless that's changed recently!?

Last edited by wildwoodfam; 09-07-2008 at 09:13 AM.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #92
fatlazyless

The empty retail space that's between the Meredith Rite Aid and the sporting goods store has been vacant ever since it was constructed in November, 2008.

Well, it looks like just maybe the Rite Aid could be moving either temporary or permanently to the old Meredith Ford building at 343 Daniel Webster Hgwy, and the Hannaford's expands into the former Rite Aid space.......maybe.....maybe.....maybe....does it really make any difference to anyone, anyway? So, then what happens with that great big stand alone sign that says "FORD." Will the letters get shuffled around to say "RITE AID" ? It's a terrific looking commercial sign ....... and too too bad that FORD has left Meredith.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #93
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Laconia Daily Sun
Quote:
Site of new Meredith Rite-Aid
MEREDITH — With an alternative design for the store they seek to build on Route 25 in hand, representatives of the Rite-Aid Corporation returned to the Planning Board this week where they were met by some 20 residents of Meredith Bay Village warning that the project would exacerbate already dangerous traffic conditions on the heavily travelled highway.
At the same time, Frank Montero of MHF Design Consultants, told the board that Rite-Aid's lease at the Meredith Shopping Center will expire at the end of the year and the firm was considering operating temporarily at 343 Daniel Webster Highway until the new store was completed.
"Maybe they should put the whole shebang over there," quipped board member Lou Kahn.
Concerns about traffic, in particular the location of the entrance to the drugstore, have dogged the project since it was first presented it to the board for a design review last December. The 15,000-square-foot store would be built on a 2.77-acre lot between the Irving travel plaza and the Trinity Episcopal Church The plan presented this week featured a shared driveway serving both Rite-Aid and Irving, which would be directly opposite Abbey Lane, the entrance to Meredith Bay Village.
Initially the entrance was planned for northeast corner of the site. When the Planning Board reviewed the design in January, members suggested instead that Rite-Aid share the driveway with Irving. Frank Montero of MHF Design agreed that a shared entrance was preferable, but said that Cobalt Properties, which owns the Irving site, had not responded to overtures from Rite-Aid.
The New Hampshire Department of Transportation (DOT) also preferred a shared entrance, but failing that recommended the entrance be located as far from Irving's driveway as possible. However, DOT ultimately rejected the plan, prompting Rite-Aid to make a fresh approach to Cobalt, which led to the latest design featuring the shared driveway.
Jeffrey Dirk, a traffic engineer with Vanasse & Associates, Inc. of Andover, Mass., said that in addition to relocating the entrance Rite-Aid will propose placing a pedestrian crossing equidistant between the two driveways serving the Irving travel plaza, which are approximately 200 feet apart. He explained that pedestrian crossings cannot be placed at intersections without signals because they do not control traffic or within 100 feet of an intersection. He said the crossing would be marked by a signal that flashed yellow after a pedestrian pressed a button then turned red allowing the pedestrian to cross.
The DOT must approve both the shared driveway and the pedestrian crossing. With the driveway issue unresolved, Rite-Aid has yet to submit a site plan or make a formal application.
Dean Gulezian., a director of the condominium association at Meredith Bay Village, reminded the board that several years ago the association had asked the DOT to install a pedestrian crossing across Route 25 only to have their request denied. He said that although residents qualified as abutters, the association was not notified of the proposal when it was originally presented.
Town Planner Angela LaBrecque said that the town was not informed that the developer had not transferred management of the complex to the association.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #94
no-engine

It's also been said that rite-aid lease expires end of the year. It's also said that Hannaford will add a pharmacy to the space that housed Nutrition Store, which moved to Main Street. Then when Hannafords breaks the wall and expands to space of Rite aid, they plan to move their pharmacy to within their space as we observe inside many of their buildings.

It would be a shame if Rite Aid were to demolish the two buildings between Irving and the Church. One planning board member commented that Rite Aid ought to take over the Ford building, but friends add that make it a double building with Aubachon's the other half. However, the site seems to have environmental issues. With MVSB owning where pizza was & hardware is, and the potential of changes at the intersection, something needs to happen.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote