Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Irish Choppers

Default Standard Horizon GPS

I know we've covered GPS related topics in a previous thread last year and the consensus of many was bizer on an IPad or IPhone. Does anybody have any experience with the Standard Horizon CP1901 GPS? I was at the Irwin Marine open house over the weekend and they tell me that far and away it's their #1 selling GPS.
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Rich

That they sell.... Personally, I can't say that I've ever seen a Standard Horizon GPS on anyone's boat that I've been on. But I've seen plenty of Garmin and Raymarine on the lake.

I have Garmin, that I purchased on my own.

And Raymarine, because it was already built into the boat that I purchased.

I like the Garmin as it can accept the Bizer chip. Raymarine has their own updates, but I'm not sure if it's as accurate as the Bizer. I haven't compared them lately.

Note: If anyone else has the Navionics charts, you may want to update it again (if you have an old chart chip, you can get an update by purchasing Updates+, about $90 for a year worth of updates). I found some errors on the lake last year, and this past winter, Navionics told me they fixed the error (basically, some rocks were moving from one position to another by choosing 'Nav' vs 'Fish' options on the display), so they said their new charts update fixes the issue. As I'm not on my boat yet (it's still covered in plastic at this point), I haven't verified the fix yet.

By the way, you can check out the Navionics chart of the lake by poking around here: http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en
Old 04-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
pjard

Do you fish? If you are looking for a combo unit I would suggest looking at Humminbird. I use a Humminbird 386ci that came with my boat. When I bought the boat I was 100% I was going to upgrade/swap it out at some point. However, I gave it a chance and I am totally thrilled with both the fish finding and GPS/Charts function. I use the Navionics chip and have noticed nothing wrong, in fact individual docks are mapped out and they are accurately shaped. (guessing all the latest chips have that) I am in the avionics business. I am extremely picky and use the unit extensively...for $300 this is great unit.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:22 AM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Choppers View Post
I know we've covered GPS related topics in a previous thread last year and the consensus of many was bizer on an IPad or IPhone. Does anybody have any experience with the Standard Horizon CP1901 GPS? I was at the Irwin Marine open house over the weekend and they tell me that far and away it's their #1 selling GPS.
I had one 5 or 6 years ago and it was an excellent product. I am not certain if the product has been leapfrogged by its competitors since that time.
secondcurve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:31 AM   #5
gslpro

I have had the Standard Horizon GPS units on three out of my last four boats. I love them. Great GPS units. They are marine-grade, unlike using Ipad/Iphone modifications, but put up against Garmin or Raymarine, it will come down to preference of the Captain. I found the garmin interface a fairly easy one to use out of the box. Standard horizon, you will have to play around with it for a few days to get comfortable switching back and forth between the information screens that you want. The larger screen units have functionality to split the screen, which would be my choice, but cost gets into the way for that. I leave mine on GPS all the time, and only switch to fish-finder to check the water temperature accurately. I can also add the Sitex MDS-1 dome and get fully overlayed gps/mapping/radar function if I choose. Garmin had a very cost effective way to buy gps and radar combo package together for a great price at one point. I would have bought it as a set if I didn't have the SH already installed in my current boat.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

I have a CP180i with the Bizer chip. It has worked reliably however navigating the menu settings can be a challenge. I would not buy another Standard Horizons but would look at Garmin.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #7
Kamper

I used to have a SH CP150c, with the Bizer Winni chip. I liked it but the screen was small. Sometimes I'd forget to change it from night to day setting after being out at night. In bright sun-light you couldn't tell it was on unless you put a towel over it!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

I have a Standard Horizon GPS and I do not find it user friendly.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:14 PM   #9
Leoskeys

I had that GPS on my last boat. Pretty good.
Leoskeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
Old Sarge

I just bought a new boat at Irwin's and they recommended the Standard Horizons CP-190i. Since they were prepping the boat I went ahead and had it installed. It fits perfectly on the dash, almost like it was made for it. I did use it in the showroom with the Bizer chip and it seemed easy to manipulate. It's got a five inch TFT screen so you can use it with polarized sunglasses. The only thing I was surprised about was that while the C-chip had the Bizer chart for Winni and Winnisquam, along with the north-east lakes it does not have a chart for Squam lake or Newfound!!?? Newfound is a pretty easy lake but it sure would have been useful to have one for Squam. Maybe Bizer would be up for a new challenge!
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #11
Irish Choppers

Default Standard Horizon GPS

I bought the same unit for my Sea Ray Sundeck. The way I see it the GPS saves you once and that could mean thousands in having to replace an outdrive or repair a damaged boat. I only boat on Winni but she's a big lake and after several years I'm still learning an awful lot about her nooks and crannies! Good luck with your new boat Sarge. I found dealing with Irwin's to be a really good experience. Jason Wylie is a terrific guy!
Irish Choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Choppers For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (04-25-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #12
Diver Vince

I've been using the SH CPF190i which also has the fish finder for 2 years now. Navigation wise on Winni it works fine, clear EZ to read screens. Yea, it may find the fish, but catching them is an entirely different proposition.
Diver Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #13
codeman671

I had 3-4 different Standard Horizon models while on the lake in various boats. They were the only plotter I would buy because for a while the Bizer maps were on Cmap chips and this was the best unit to run Cmap. Other versions of cartography at the time were pretty weak in comparison.

Since then the data is available in other formats but I only have experience with one Hummingbird model that was on my last Premier pontoon. It was decent but I liked the SH better.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
Nedlam

Default Lowrance elite-5 HDI combo

I am looking for a GPS chip to add to my Lowrance system. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Nedlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedlam View Post
I am looking for a GPS chip to add to my Lowrance system. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Hands down, Navionics. Superb detail and pin point accuracy!

http://www.navionics.com/en/marine-lakes-charts-1

Dan
Nedlam (04-29-2015)