Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Hermit Cover

Default Corsa or Captains Call Exhaust....??

There are many selectable exhausts on boats on the lake....new and old....Chris Crafts nearly all....go fast boats nearly all....many others. Where can one go to have a Corsa or Captains Call installed????
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
There are many selectable exhausts on boats on the lake....new and old....Chris Crafts nearly all....go fast boats nearly all....many others. Where can one go to have a Corsa or Captains Call installed????
If I'm not mistaken, NH law specifically prohibits switchable exhaust (Captain's Call style). For the record, I have the Captain's Call on my boat and I absolutely love it.

BT
Old 04-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
NoBozo

"Selectable Exhaust" on the lake is NOT permitted. Funny..isn't it...? THEY want you to be Quiet.... but ...you can't have the option to be quiet. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (07-15-2016)
Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Arrow Darpa exhaust

I have a 1988 Darpa exhaust. Not very quiet at low speed as it uses the water flowing thru the exhaust manifold to quiet the engine. The boat is loud at start up and idle. As the rpm goes up the water flow goes up and the noise goes down. The exhaust system had an automatic switch that flows the exhaust thru the IO during low rpms and switch to the straight thrus at a certain rpm. MP told me to take the switching mechanism out. So now it goes through the transom constantly. The noise level at low speed is loud enough to draw the MP attention. They can't do anything about it as they test the noise during a speed run off Timber Island. I have the paper to prove I pass and carry it with me all the time.

In my case I need the switch to keep the boat quiet. The law was not designed for the Darpa setup.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
NightWing

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
"Selectable Exhaust" on the lake is NOT permitted. Funny..isn't it...? THEY want you to be Quiet.... but ...you can't have the option to be quiet. NB
You have it backwards. The system allows you to make it LOUDER.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
You have it backwards. The system allows you to make it LOUDER.
Hummm,,, Well clearly that’s what the politicians and the rules advocates thought,,,

Sadly we all suffer when ill conceived ideas are sledgehammered into laws.

Or more appropriately when people who don’t know what they are talking about are involved in the legislative process,,,

Sad, very sad,,,

GH
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Hermit Cover

Smile Politics....??

I suppose I could have placed my request in the category of looking for political / legal opinions...why not, everyone has one. I was simply looking for the name of a boat shop that would install one....9 out of 10 boat dealers on the lake sell boats with factory installed Corsa or Captains Call exhausts....on new and used boats....and 100's of boats on the lake at any given time have them. I want to be one of them....I like the sound!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Default Marine mechanic

Next door to Sawyers in Gilford, across the street from Fay's marine store, there is a guy that woild do that for you. I believe it is in the white building of the former Toyota dealership.

He was known to make switchables appear to MP that they were unswitchables until the MP caught on.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
jayp603

Default yea

another stupid law....
jayp603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
onlywinni

Quick and Quiet II

Take a look at Corsa's Quick and Quiet II System. This is standard equipment on most of the newer Performance Boats these days. It is really the best of both worlds. At low rpm the majority of the exhaust exits through the hull so you get the Performance Sound you may be looking for. At higher rpms the exhaust/sound is forced through the Y pipe/diverter into the transom/.prop-that way at high rpms when you are skipping across the Broads (at 45mph of course) you are not disturbing the peace!!

http://www.corsaperf.com/media/pdf/E...omparisons.pdf

We combined a silencer tip with the housing of a diverter; this in effect allows the exhaust to exit through the transom and the prop at the same time. At lower rpm’s most of the exhaust is heard through the exhaust tips. As rpm’s increase, more exhaust is forced through the y-pipe, allowing optimum flow and noise reduction. Approximately 3 - 4 hours installation time.

This is not a switchable exhaust and with the proper mufflers is 50 state Compliant.

I imagine any marina can perform this installation or at least a performance oriented one like Channel.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlywinni View Post
Quick and Quiet II

Take a look at Corsa's Quick and Quiet II System. This is standard equipment on most of the newer Performance Boats these days. It is really the best of both worlds. At low rpm the majority of the exhaust exits through the hull so you get the Performance Sound you may be looking for. At higher rpms the exhaust/sound is forced through the Y pipe/diverter into the transom/.prop-that way at high rpms when you are skipping across the Broads (at 45mph of course) you are not disturbing the peace!!

http://www.corsaperf.com/media/pdf/E...omparisons.pdf

We combined a silencer tip with the housing of a diverter; this in effect allows the exhaust to exit through the transom and the prop at the same time. At lower rpm’s most of the exhaust is heard through the exhaust tips. As rpm’s increase, more exhaust is forced through the y-pipe, allowing optimum flow and noise reduction. Approximately 3 - 4 hours installation time.

This is not a switchable exhaust and with the proper mufflers is 50 state Compliant.

I imagine any marina can perform this installation or at least a performance oriented one like Channel.
Hummm,,, almost seems like the opposite of what I would want,,,

Don’t get me wrong, I love the mellow sound of an old marine engine at the docks when operated in a normal and reasonable fashion (i.e. not goosing it unnecessarily) but modern very large and high-performance marine engines (and often in pairs) with open exhaust can be quite obnoxious at public docks often impairing critical communication between boaters and other boaters and their passengers. I have seen more than one person quite startled at public docks when these big and high-performance engines startup, arguably a potentially unsafe dangerous situation.

With a modern performance boat, when at a public dock or if you are close proximity to your neighbor’s house at a private dock, I would think you would want the exhaust closed (diverted under water) and then have it open at higher speeds and RPM for best performance once out on the open water where the benefit of the open exhaust will be realized and the noise will be less impacting on everyone (and even enjoyable to some of us! )

Well that’s one boaters perspective,,, Others may disagree,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-22-2016)
Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Cool Darpa exhaust

Again, that was the original intent of the Darpa design. To divert the exhaust into the IO during docking and low speed. When there is enough water flowing through the bafflers to quiet the engine the Darpa setup will switch to thru the hull. Unfortunately the law has not taken into consideration the Darpa setup. So by law, I have to be loud at startup, head way speed, but will be quiet as rpm goes up. Quite the opposite of what folks wants.
It was automatically switchable. I have no control of the switches. But the law says I have to take the switch out. The marine patrol realizes this and that is why I have a piece of paper.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #13
Scottmartinage

Default Corsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
If I'm not mistaken, NH law specifically prohibits switchable exhaust (Captain's Call style). For the record, I have the Captain's Call on my boat and I absolutely love it.

BT
I have a 200 Sundeck and would like to have the captains call installed what can you tell me?
Scott
Scottmartinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Switchable exhaust is legal now.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:40 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Eight years after the 45/30 limits got passed in June, 2008, there's still a few go-fasts that like to slow down their speed, and turn up their exhaust volume as they go north past fl-3 and the inside Bear Island passage probably for the 'benefit' of residents on Bear Island (or something?) ...... roar-roar-roar..... budda-budda-boom .... to make a loud and noisy statement or something(?).

'Ok Bear Island ....just listen to this .....we be loud ...... ho-ho-ho! !' Hopefully, it makes the loud exhauster feel a little bit better .... yes.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #16
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Switchable exhaust is legal now.
True. Keep in mind that most of this thread is from 2010 before the law was changed in 2011. See part II: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...270/270-25.htm
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
True. Keep in mind that most of this thread is from 2010 before the law was changed in 2011. See part II: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...270/270-25.htm
I meant to quote the post previous to mine.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:18 AM   #18
ApS

Post You're Not Alone Regarding "The Trojan Horse" Noise Law...

To get noticed, perhaps they need "louder" decals for their "graphics".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Eight years after the 45/30 limits got passed in June, 2008, there's still a few go-fasts that like to slow down their speed, and turn up their exhaust volume as they go north past fl-3 and the inside Bear Island passage probably for the 'benefit' of residents on Bear Island (or something?) ...... roar-roar-roar..... budda-budda-boom .... to make a loud and noisy statement or something(?). 'Ok Bear Island ....just listen to this .....we be loud ...... ho-ho-ho! !' Hopefully, it makes the loud exhauster feel a little bit better .... yes.
Turning up exhaust pipe noise "Can't be done". I read that somewhere...

On another "note", A neighbor on my Florida lake has converted his Jet-Ski to "open-exhaust". What was he thinking? That the "Weed Patrol" stops by twice a month, and the Marine Patrol is never seen on this lake? (Which would be true).