Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
offmycloud

Default Need a carpenter for several small jobs in Moultonborough

Would anyone be able to recommend a contractor for several small projects at my summer home in Moultonborough? This is stuff that no large contractor would be interested in including - building a shed, installing shelves in a mudroom, reworking a closet area, replacing rotted boards on the exterior of the home, finally finishing kitchen cabinetry work, etc. I just need the stuff done by next summer so no big hurry. I live in Chicago so I need someone who can operate independently without handholding. Thanks for your help!
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default David Gammon

Give him a call in Laconia 603.528.1089. He is reasonable and loves small and or odd jobs.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
ACutAbove

Al from eagle tile and contracting 603-759-1788 give him a call and I am sure he can help you out...
ACutAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
ARV

Thumbs up Local guy

I HIGHLY recommend Bumblebee Maintenance. They are located right in Moultonborough and are extremely reliable while at the same time doing excellent work! Call Ray at 603-651-3255. (He snow plows too!)
ARV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ARV For This Useful Post:
Bumblebee (03-08-2010)
Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
hoopdawg

Granite Shore Builders

of Moultonboro give Rick Achenbach a call 279-8600 is office number and tell him David recommened him they do a great job and reliable
hoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #6
Smitty1

http://www.farechowoodworking.com/
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
offmycloud

Default Thank you all!

This is great. I have already used a number of contractors who have either needed way too much handholding, ripped me off, disappeared on me, gotten divorced mid-job while wife was also working on my site and totally flaked out and put me in the middle of their problems (true), etc.!!

I need someone solid and mature who can go get it done and also won't use my house as a bachelor pad, second home or ice-fishing headquarters!

Really hard to be absent and get stuff done.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
ARV

Default Where is the work ethic?

OMC: I know what you mean and it's a real shame that this sort of work and relationship can happen between contractors (if you will) and clients.

I know you will find everything you are looking for with Bumble Bee. Not only is Ray a great, hard worker, he is also an officer on the Moultonborough Fire Dept. and has a good, solid head on his shoulders. May I ask where your property is in Moultonborough? I hope I'm not being too forward!
The Following User Says Thank You to ARV For This Useful Post:
Bumblebee (03-08-2010)
Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by offmycloud View Post
This is great. I have already used a number of contractors who have either needed way too much handholding, ripped me off, disappeared on me, gotten divorced mid-job while wife was also working on my site and totally flaked out and put me in the middle of their problems (true), etc.!!

I need someone solid and mature who can go get it done and also won't use my house as a bachelor pad, second home or ice-fishing headquarters!

Really hard to be absent and get stuff done.
It does not have to be.

These are the types of stories, we here all to often from our clients of past projects they have had done. It casts a shadow over the entire industry. Not everyone operates this way, you will find someone in the area that can perform these tasks and not take advantage of you. Working with out of state clients takes tons of communication and can be stressful for the customer.

Are you serious about people using your home as if it was theirs! I can tell you that would be the last day of employment for any one on our team. That just blows me away. I have had to stop in on clients property after hours while out with the family and the family stays in the car, period. Client trust is a very difficult thing to obtain and to throw that away just to show off to family and friends is completely unprofessional.

Good luck with your search, always get a reference list and call everyone on it.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #10
offmycloud

Default ARV and jmen24

It's incredible - many of these guys I just put up with it because they were doing a good job, reasonably priced and it was impossible to find anyone else (this was back when the real estate industry was humming). I once gave some painters permssion to spend the night there - I showed up unannounced at night and they were all sprawled out in front of my big TV, beer cans everywhere with their 150 pound dog roaming the house. They would also have lunch, relax and smoke on my deck over the water during the day. They were cheap and did a good job but they took advantage of the surroundings. Other guys were worse - I've gotten "verbal" bills, "just send me $40K", and when I ask them to detail it out I get something scrawled in pencil.

ARV - my house is on the water near Clark's Landing.

jmen24, are you a contractor?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
boo

i being a contractor have heard similiar stories from clients and like jmen said it does put a cloud over the industry.

I have been doing a large scale project on sleepers island over this summer, where the homeowner has been away for most of the summer and believe me there is nothing but work going on and if i found any of my guys doing anything remotely similiar to what you've outlined that would be it for them, fortunately I have a good group of guys that I do not worry about.

Good luck with you projects and if I can be of any assitance please feel free to contact me
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
offmycloud

Thanks Boo - I will. My problem is I am not tough enough on people and I have zero time to manage people, especially remotely.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
jmen24

Yes I am a contractor, but we only venture in that area from time to time, we are pretty exclusive to the Lake Sunapee area.

You do not have to be a tough person, its about respect. I will say that sitting on the deck or dock for lunch can be a pretty harmless thing. Using your grill to cook lunch would be different. We typically do not have an issue with the guys wanting to sit outside for lunch and as long as they are not sitting in a clients chair or using the owners things, its fine. It is nice to have lunch near the water, but it is a fine line.

I cannot believe they even brought the DOG, I just cannot get over that.

Same thing as Boo, we have worked our crew down to a really good group of guys, that issues like this do not come up.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 AM   #14
offmycloud

jmen24 - it is a fine line. That day I wanted to eat with my kids out on the deck but those guys had taken the prime deck table and they were out there smoking and eating so I couldn't - it sounds petty now that I describe it! But, they sort of creep into your lifestyle like that.

The dog freaked me out, too, but my kids loved it so what do you do. Those painters were the best and cheapest so no complaints in the end - I can't hire them back now as my wife has told me to, "never have those hillbillies back!"
Old 10-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
ARV

Default We're practically neighbors!

OMC: We are right down the road from you!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
offmycloud

ARV - Hey neighbor! ping me a private message and we'll get exact coordinates.
The Following User Says Thank You to offmycloud For This Useful Post:
Capt Bart (11-10-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #17
wildwind

Default Barton Construction any jobs

I use Barton Construction if I can get them. Most of the time he's busy but it's worth a try. 603-455-4125 good luck if you can get him.
Capt Bart (11-10-2009)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #18
Capt Bart

I heard that my name came up I own Barton Const. It turns out we also live next store to each other, if you go by the cottages, as soon as you hit the water thats my house!! If I can be any help give me a buzz 603 455 4125 Bart
Capt Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #19
sky's

Smile if you are still looking ?

hello i realize this response is late, however i just joined this program. If for some reason you have not found a carpenter that you're happy with i do live in Moultonboro on Marvin rd and offer carpentry services and my wife also does house cleaning. my site is www.skyscarpentry.com good luck hope things are well:
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #20
secondcurve

Shaun:

Your web site is well done and your work looks to be of high quality. Good luck.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 PM   #21
evelyn

Default Re Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by offmycloud View Post
Would anyone be able to recommend a contractor for several small projects at my summer home in Moultonborough? This is stuff that no large contractor would be interested in including - building a shed, installing shelves in a mudroom, reworking a closet area, replacing rotted boards on the exterior of the home, finally finishing kitchen cabinetry work, etc. I just need the stuff done by next summer so no big hurry. I live in Chicago so I need someone who can operate independently without handholding. Thanks for your help!
.I recommend Bobby G's Contracting of Gilford, Bobby is trustworthy and he has done several projects for me, from a complete addition, to small jobs bathroom tile and small carpentry work. Fair priced and real quality work. he is also insured which is good. His number is 603-455-5535
evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:15 PM   #22
wildwind

I just used Barton Construction for some work I had in MA they were there when expected and finished the work when expected they were within the estimate they quoted and finished before expected. I had interior work done and exterior work from corrective siding to a leak in the plaster inside. 1/2 the price I received from MA contractors. I don't know how they do it but it's worth a shot. I'm totally pleased. I would gladly give their number out 603-455-4125.. good luck getting them. Their busy....
Old 03-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #23
eric richard

Thumbs up home repair

try giving eric's & phil's home improvement at 603 509 3880 they will do what you want and do it right.good guys they will do what no one will do.if you still need someone to do the work give they a call.
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #24
offmycloud

Thanks Eric - I have a guy doing the work now. If he doesn't work out I will give them a call.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #25
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric richard View Post
try giving eric's & phil's home improvement at 603 509 3880 they will do...

Shouldn't that be "we will do..."? Aren't you Eric?
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #26
captbart

Default just wondering

Are you a nieghber?
captbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #27
offmycloud

Probably - are you near Clark's Landing?