Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
kozakgar

Default Lake Treasure

Daughter found old bottle still corked and filled while diving. Preety cool.
Attached Images

kozakgar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kozakgar For This Useful Post:
bclaker (10-10-2011), SharkBaitDiving (01-13-2012)
Old 07-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
wsconner

Default another old one..

Found this snorkeling with my 11 yr old son in 10-12 feet off of smith point. It was sitting in sand between two rocks, and could only be seen at a certain angle. posted it to this website, and a gentleman dated it ~1880. remarkable that it probably sat there untouched for over 100 years.

http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum...-426606/tm.htm
Attached Images

wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
kozakgar

WSCONNER, nice find. My daughter is really getting into bottle finding in L Winny. Here are a few of her other finds this summer. The pepsi bottle dates to early 40's. The dark bottle was from late 1890's in Boston.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to kozakgar For This Useful Post:
bclaker (10-10-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Bottles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozakgar View Post
WSCONNER, nice find. My daughter is really getting into bottle finding in L Winny. Here are a few of her other finds this summer. The pepsi bottle dates to early 40's. The dark bottle was from late 1890's in Boston.
Cool, did she find them in the lake??? Isn't it fun to find artifacts diving? The round bottom bottles are coveted treasure here on the lake. Do you know why they are so prevalent here on the lake and the history behind them??? I don't want to boor you with the long story if you already know.

I can count 10 of them sitting on the shelf above me, there's even two "Torpedo" bottles up there as well. In fact, every room in my house has artifacts and treasures from the lake... We use antique brass propellers as door stops and there is a brass anchor sitting in the corner of the stairs just waiting for me to trip on it. Stuff, stuff and more stuff everywhere you look around here.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
kozakgar

Yes, she found these all diving in the lake. Please tell us the story on the round bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
kozakgar

WSCONNER, is Smith Point the one in West Alton?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Round bottom bottles in Lake Winnipesaukee:

As an avid treasure hunters on the lake there certain items that are coveted; such as, clay tavern pipes, the best finds are ones fully intact, but even better are ones with fancy art work molded into the bowl (more on them later). The Round Bottom bottles with a blob top, the more imperfections the better (earlier date) are the second most coveted. However, the top of the list is are "Clay Rum" bottles from the ill-fated horse barge disaster back in 1796, where the King's shipment of rum to Montreal went down in a squall off the entrance to Alton Bay. Normally, clay bottles aren't worth much because there is no way to date them since the same manufacturing techniques are used today. Except these bottles have the King's tax tamp embossed onto them with the date.

The significance of the Round Bottom bottles is that they were used for a very specific purpose at narrow date in history. In the glass making process from the late 1700s to the mid 1800s a key ingredient was needed, a type of sodium. At that time the only place to get sodium was in a mine in Glasgow Scotland, but to get it here required special handling. Exposed sodium to water and it becomes very unstable (it explodes), so they build very heavy bottles, corked and bailed them. They also used a round bottom so can't stand up and let the cork dry out. In order to keep the bottles safe they would store them in the lowest part of the ship and pack them in as tight as they could, hence the term "Ballast Bottle". Ever wonder why so many ships sank making the voyage to the new world? They blew up during bad storm at sea if just one bottle broke.

There was a glass shop in Wolfeboro, located on the water front near WCYC back in this time period. Of course you heard me say this before: "I love diving the lake because; there has been 300 years of civilization on the lake. The first 250 years it was the dump; take your trash out on the ice, come spring and it's gone. Fast forward to today and all that's left ate the artifacts". These bottles had very little use once the contents were used so they were discarded into the lake, the dump. I guess they never thought about recycling them, like throwing them back into the forge and melt them down into new bottles. These bottles could get air trap in them and float all around the lake or used for other purposes and discarded elsewhere.

Before you scientific types go off the deep end... These bottles were named "sodi" bottles , I took that to mean sodium, but perhaps it's another similar sounding element. Maybe you can clarify it for me, after all, I'm just a bottom dweller.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winnipesaukee Divers For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (07-24-2011), BroadHopper (07-06-2012), SharkBaitDiving (10-04-2012), Tallyho (07-27-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
Grant

kozakgar: The tall bottle in the middle -- some whisky company out of Boston? Looks like a bottle I found on a dive a few years ago.

So far this year, this one is my favorite. "NH Spring Water Co. The Weirs, NH"

Cap'n Pat says he found the same one recently.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
Grant

Here's a cool little bottle with embossed measurements on the side. Apple used for size reference. Found on a dive near Hawk's Nest Island.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking My Lake Treasure

Great stuff!!!

I found this bottle wedged under a rock at the end of our dock. Sometimes the natural stuff is worth retrieving also.

My son and I found a very interesting slice of stump that now resides in the camp, along with a piece of driftwood that looks like steer horns.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:49 AM   #11
wsconner

Default saucers found near "black glass" bottle

When we found the bottle (prior post) we noticed that there were two plates wedged under some ledge. We had a chance to go back and spend some time retrieving them. Unfortunately they were so wedged under rock we broke one of them in the process. Additionally, we showed the bottle to another expert (in person) and he dated to 1830-1840's. Have to believe these items are a set. This lake is amazing...
Attached Images

wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #12
scubajay1153

Most of my finds are from the "smaller" lakes...I will have to post pics of some of the cooler looking ones to see if someone can give info or a date to them!
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Arrowhead Found in Lake

A few years ago, a guest snorkeling at our place came up with what we think is an arrowhead. It was in about five feet of water. Happily Miles let us keep it. Good guy.

Note: This picture is multiple shots of the same arrowhead to show it's many features.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
bclaker (10-10-2011), Grant (10-16-2011), GTO (09-02-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
RailroadJoe

Arrow head or spear head. Depends on the size.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #15
kozakgar

Default Latest find by daughter

Here is the latest find my daughter found near Smith Point.

Rattlesake Gal, I like the arrowhead. I guess we better take a second look at small rocks when diving.
Attached Images

bclaker (10-10-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #16
kozakgar

Default Alton Bottle hunt

What a day today, Oct 9 and it was like July on the lake. Pic of daughter bottle hunting in Alton today. A couple good finds, will post when cleaned up.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #17
kozakgar

Default Yesterdays finds

Alton finds yesterday, 1 CASSIDY & Co. Rochester NH, 2 N.H. Gilbert, Somerset NH, and 3 a small Virginia Dare extract bottle. My daughter found all 3, me zero. Must be my old eyes.
Attached Images

bclaker (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

Those are great finds. Nice looking bottles.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
scubajay1153

Default Very cool!

Very nice finds!
I have been poking around Rum Point without finding anything. Have to tell the wife I need to buy a boat access more intriguing dive sites such as off the Winni Pier....sigh.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #20
Jonas Pilot

Great thread all. Thanks for sharing.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
bclaker

Default Very Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubajay1153 View Post
Very nice finds!
I have been poking around Rum Point without finding anything. Have to tell the wife I need to buy a boat access more intriguing dive sites such as off the Winni Pier....sigh.
Some of the opening days of the salmon season I can remember gusts of wind taking lawn chairs, cell phones etc. off the Mount Washington dock at Alton Bay. I lost my hat, but was able to recover it.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
kozakgar

Thanks everyone. The best part of seeing my daughter find these little tokens is that many years down the road she will look at each item and it will take her back down memory lane when , where, and with who she discovered these. I have many of those kind of items around my home, and each one takes me back in time to re-live those fun and great moments in life. It is her turn to start collecting those memories.
Pineedles (10-10-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #23
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Bottles

Wow those are really neat Kozakgar; That small one in the middle-triangular in shape-is very interesting; The others with their embossing-very nice.

Any idea what it held?

Any idea as to their worth?

I've found lots of bottles but nothing in a long time with the embossing that looks anywhere near that intricate.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #24
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Dating old bottles and Prohibition

The following will help you date a bottle; I learned a long time ago that bottles bearing an inscription relating to the re-filling of a bottle ("Federal Law Forbids Sale or Reuse of This Bottle") dates it as being made after 1932-one year after Prohibition ended; The Volstead Act created Prohibition and ran from 1920-1932.

If I'm not mistaken it only applied to whiskey bottles.

http://www.bottlebooks.com/federal_law_prohibits_.htm

If you want to see an interesting documentary catch Ken Burns' PBS program "Prohibition"-all 3 parts. It just came out. Really well done.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #25
kozakgar

Thanks Hans for info on dating bottles. The small bottle was made by Virginia Dare, the same company that made the wine bottle my daughter found in the earlier post. Interesting history on Virginia Dare if you google it. The small bottle was for extracts that they sold and the bottom has their name on it. As far as the NH bottles what they held, I am not sure. Must of been soda. If anyone has any history on these 2 NH companies would like to hear about it. Do you have any more talks planned?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #26
kozakgar

Hans

see

http://www.brooklynology.org/post/20...inia-Dare.aspx

http://www.answers.com/topic/virgini...ct-company-inc
Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #27
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozakgar View Post
Alton finds yesterday, 1 CASSIDY & Co. Rochester NH, 2 N.H. Gilbert, Somerset NH, and 3 a small Virginia Dare extract bottle. My daughter found all 3, me zero. Must be my old eyes.
I think you're right on your eyes. That one bottle is embossed Somersworth NH and not Somerset.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #28
kozakgar

Siksukr You are correct, confirms my suspicion
Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #29
scubajay1153

Found a bottle marked with the "Not for..." post prohibition warning today of Ahern Park. Also found a neat old clay pipe from Glascow, Scotland like we used to find in the Piscataqua River in Portsmouth. Going to have to do some more resaerch on the pipes to figure out how old they are.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #30
kozakgar

scubajay1153, please post pictures, would like to really to see. Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #31
Grant

Some goodies from a September dive. The square bottle has the "Not for..." language embossed on it, and the pottery does have a hole in it. Of course, when I found it in the muck, it was half-buried, hole-side-down, so for a second there I thought I had a real keeper. But I kept it for the garden.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #32
kozakgar

Grant, very nice. The square one is sweet. Where were you diving for these?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #33
scubajay1153

hm....having trouble figuring out how to post pictures here....still working on it. May be a few days as I am working Friday, teaching at the Fire Academy over the weekend, working Monday and at class all day Tuesday. AS soon as I can get it working and post some I would love to have some insight into some of the cool stuff I have dug up. I will be back in the lakes looking for more next week!
The Following User Says Thank You to scubajay1153 For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (10-13-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #34
Grant

Two old favorite Lake finds...

Rectangular cork-top:

FOSS' 2 OZ FL
LIQUID FRUIT FLAVORS
PORTLAND, ME

Side panel: FULL STRENGTH
Side panel: STANDARD QUALITY

Round whisky bottle:

ESTABLISHED 1851
W.H. JONES & CO.
BOSTON

Trade mark in the middle has a bear and Latin, "OPTIMA SATIS BONA EST"

The glass has some nice bubbles in it. I know this company also made a "flask" bottle. It would be awesome to complete the set with one of those!
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #35
RandallDunn

I bet it's rare New Hampshire Vodka distilled by a Russian immigrant from the early 1900s.
RandallDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #36
SharkBaitDiving

Default Vase Information???????????

I found this vase diving in Smith's Cove late August 2011. Does anyone have any idea how old or where it came from? Has a small blue marking on the bottom I cannot read. Has a small piece missing on the backside of the vase also. I just bought a 32' Carver and an avid diver of 35+ years. I'm docked at Fay's boat yard in a covered slip and will be running dive trips out to Lady of the Lake and other sites in 2012. Please let me know if your interested at all in joining me? I also have a small on board scuba compressor to fill tanks on board! Thanks for any help! Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by SharkBaitDiving; 04-09-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
SharkBaitDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #37
VTskier

I want some gold....screw the bottles
VTskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VTskier For This Useful Post:
lake king (01-04-2012), SharkBaitDiving (01-13-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #38
ScubaBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post
As an avid treasure hunters on the lake there certain items that are coveted; such as, clay tavern pipes, the best finds are ones fully intact, but even better are ones with fancy art work molded into the bowl (more on them later).
Could you tell me more about these pipes with the art work? I found one in Wolfeboror Bay...

Thanks!
ScubaBrian is offline   Reply With Quote