Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
painthappy

Default Any good Diver meetups on the lake for dives?

First post on the forums and figured I'd ask this as I'll be up on the lake more often this year.

I just purchased a sailboat (26' Tanzer) that's in Guilford, NH. It's still in the process of getting some TLC, but I'll be up and on the lake a lot this summer.

The concept of diving the lake sounds very interesting to me. I've honestly never been diving in a lake.

I ask about meetups because I just don't have any friends that dive anymore, or at least want to go diving. I guess this is what happens when you get older. People's hobbies change and folks move away.

Anyhow, if people would be willing to have me tag along, I promise not to be too much of a bother. While I haven't been actually diving in almost 10 years, I'm a certified PADI Divermaster #88533

Thanks and looking forward to warmer weather at the lake this year!
painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
RLW

Thumbs up

painthappy, glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum and I hope that you find friends to go diving with as I hear that diving Winnipesaukee is a lot of fun.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default A PADI diver....

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthappy View Post
Anyhow, if people would be willing to have me tag along, I promise not to be too much of a bother. While I haven't been actually diving in almost 10 years, I'm a certified PADI Divermaster #88533

A PATI diver and a "Divemaster" to boot... "I promise not to be too much of a bother", There's the understatement of the year. Of course I'm just kidding with you, but you are in NADS country here on the lake. We have dove with lots of PADI divers, but we have to break them of all their bad habits.

I'd invite you to tag along with me, but I'm sure you're not interested in "Mooring Field Hell". After the first 5 minutes of that kind of diving and most divers want to head back.

Actually, my buddies at Dive Winnipesaukee in Wolfecity (569-8080) have a great network of divers and can hook you up with other divers.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
painthappy

Thanks...

I'll have to check that place out. I appreciate pointing me towards that. Sadly it's been years since I've actually been diving. I learned when I was a kid at Diver's Den out of Manchester, NH and worked my way up the ladder on trips to warmer climates.

Sadly it's been a while so there will probably be very little bad habits to break as I would have forgotten most of it by now. I'll get my two Super 80's rehydro'd though on the off chance I can do it this summer.
painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Winnipesaukee Divers

It's like riding a bike you never really forget, you just think you have. But, once that cold lake water splashes in your face and seeps into your wetsuit it all comes right back. "Once a diver, always a diver"

However, a short refresher course will quickly get you up to speed on the latest techniques and confidence level. Tom at the dive shop is your go to guy to get you setup.

I use to belong to The New England Aquarium Dive Club (600 members) where most all the divers were PATI certified. It was always such amusements to dive with them, as they would check and recheck their equipment, rehearse the dive from start to finish. It was amazing how they could blow the whole day doing just 2 twenty minutes dives.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
scubajay1153

Default Glad to see more diving folks....

Welcome to the area! Central NH Diver's is in Meredith on Rt3 in the same building as Production Trailer and Dock. Halfway between the Weirs and the Rt 104/Rt3 intersection. (Between JB Scoops and the Pirate's Cove MiniGolf) We can be reached at 279-9099, on the web at www.centralnhdivers.com and on Facebook at Central NH Divers. (We are a NAUI shop but we love to meet any and all divers regardless of certification agency. Which is good because folks like me with SSI OW, PADI ADV and DM, NAUI Rescue and a slew of other agency Public Safety Diving certs. would feel confused in the land of alphabet soup! LOL)
No matter where you chose to go you will find the folks friendly, knowledgable and just plain fun! Folks on here like Diver1111, Winnipesaukee Diver and other will be glad to chat scuba with you and maybe they will even leak a clue to one of the really neat stuff they have found to explore!

And WD, you think the PADI divers are odd, with my smashing of certs I get into arguments with myself over BWARF, AWARE, and a whole host of other issues.....it's a wonder I log bottom time....
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Hubbles

I can't recommend a spot to meet up with divers, but I'm planning to get out on the lake to dive a fair amount this summer and would be happy to have you come along. I was just out on the lake today, and did some snorkeling helping get a friends cabin opened up. The water's still cold but with a 7mm wetsuit it was actually comfortable, another couple of weeks and I'll be itching to get out in the lake for some dives.
Hubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
Grant

Talk to anyone at Dive Winnipesaukee in Wolfeboro. Lots of local divers who are active for much of the year. That being said, i just returned from four days at the Lake and my gear never left the car. But I had it with me!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #9
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Wimp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
That being said, i just returned from four days at the Lake and my gear never left the car. But I had it with me!
I have a medical excuse for not doing cold water dives... What's yours? Besides, I'm sure my suit has shrunk over the winter as well.... And my tanks are empty too...
Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post
I have a medical excuse for not doing cold water dives... What's yours? Besides, I'm sure my suit has shrunk over the winter as well.... And my tanks are empty too...
Oddly enough, my suit shrank also....but tanks full, freshly hyrdo'd, regs overhauled. I have no excuse, other than leaf raking...
Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #11
Judyl

Smile Calling All Divers

Diver's Den Dive Shop offers refresher courses for those out there that have not done any diving in awhile. The cost for the refresher course is $125.00 and we do it right here in our 50 foot pool on site. You will spend time going over skills and trying new equipment as well.

June 18th we are having a rep from Sherwood Scuba spend the day giving demo's as well. That is a Saturday and will run from 10-1

We are also running a trip to Dutch Springs to do some quarry diving as well. Contact us if you need more information. 603-644-3483

Dive safely and always with a buddy.
Judyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judyl View Post
Diver's Den Dive Shop offers refresher courses for those out there that have not done any diving in awhile. The cost for the refresher course is $125.00 and we do it right here in our 50 foot pool on site. You will spend time going over skills and trying new equipment as well.

June 18th we are having a rep from Sherwood Scuba spend the day giving demo's as well. That is a Saturday and will run from 10-1

We are also running a trip to Dutch Springs to do some quarry diving as well. Contact us if you need more information. 603-644-3483

Dive safely and always with a buddy.
Let us know when the Dutch excursion is happening. That's my home lake and I dive there often and would be glad to help show staff and divers some of the many 'uncharted' and less known attractions. We've developed some great circuit dives that cover a number of the wrecks and have all the compass headings so you don't need to follow ropes. Dutch is a great place to dive! C'mon down!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #13
SharkBaitDiving

Default New Lake Dive Charter in Gilford @ Fay's Boat Yard

OK I'm up & running and will be up the Lake most weekends. If anyone is interested in diving let me know? 2 tank dive charters are $50.00 and leave from Fays Boat Yard, Gilford, NH @ 10:00 AM. I'm brand new to the area and always looking for new dive sites. Dove @ Herrill's Landing 3 weeks ago. Lady of the Lake is in my "back yard"! Charter the boat for 6 divers and only pay for 5! Dive with us 5 times and your 6th dive is FREE!
You can call me @ 617-966-0111 or email me @ jimcarozza@verizon.net if your interested.
My website is up but needs some "tweaking" still!
Check out: www.sharkbaitdivingadventures.com

Thanks,
Jim Carozza
Owner/Operator
"Out of Control" 32' Carver Mariner
Shark Bait Diving Adventures
SharkBaitDiving is offline   Reply With Quote