Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
waukewanderer

Default Crank-up dock question...

I've searched the DES site and re-read the dock rules, but can't find the answer to my question. Does anyone know if there is a hoist height or hoist angle required for a crank-up dock by the State of NH? Any opinions on the optimal height and/or angle of a dock when cranked up for Winter storage? Is it a concern of safety, geometry, structural integrity, or anything else that I might have overlooked?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nor'easter, go away!
waukewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Probably not

If you have read the rules and found nothing, there is probably nothing to worry about. My assumption would be that as long as the dock is fully out of the water, it is OK. Even if the dock fails during the winter and falls into the water, it is unlikely that you will get in trouble.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
camp guy

Default Crank up docks

My disclaimer is: I don't have a crank up dock; never installed one; and never even put one down in the spring or up in the fall. All that having been said, my suggestion is to ride around the Lake, look at the different rigs being used, ask some questions, and go for it. It looks to me like basic geometry is the answer. Most of the crank up docks have removable deck boards (usually in sections) to lessen the weight and take away the 'sail' effect of the dock, most seem to have the cable supported by some type of "A" frame toward the water side, and most seem to have side cables to reduce the sway effect. I see lots of 45 degree geometry involved. Oh, one last suggestion, use a very strong cable, and be sure to securly fasten the hoisting mechanism to whatever you are fastening it to.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
codeman671

Default Watermark

I would suggest speaking with Walker at Watermark, he is extremely knowledgeable in crank-up docks and has probably the best design on the lake. I am sure he could help with your questions. I have not seen any specs from DES that provide any answers to your questions, I do not believe it is an issue, as long as the dock is out of the water for the required time limit per season I doubt they care.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
Onshore

DES has no specific standards regarding the height or angle to which a seasonal dock must be lifted during the non-boating season. One of the basic reasons for requiring removal of piers during the non-boating season is to minimize any unnecessary or unreasonable encroachment on public "waters" during the non-boating season and thereby minimize the impact of the structure on rights of public passage or access. (see DES Wetlands Rule Wt 302.04 (a, 10). Keeping this in mind, you want it to be high enough that a snowmobiler, skier or whoever is able to pass without risk of injury.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
T.H.E. Binz

Default Crank Ups

There are no regulations with regards to hoisting height. Personally, I just crank mine high enough to make certain it is well above the ice!
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote