Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
Tir Na Nog

Default Propane Heater Selection and Prices

I would welcome any help or suggestions. I have a split level with about a 46x26 footprint. The upstairs has a fairly new propane heater. The downstairs has an older heater (probably 70s 0r 80s) which needs to be replaced. It is set up on the slightly raised brick fireplace and vents through the fireplace chimney. I have one quote for about a 50,000 BTU heater with a ceramic log window installed for about $1600. This is the basic beige cabinet heater unit with the ceramic log option. I also am looking at the gas cerimic log stoves that look like a wood stove. THe ones that do not require a special liner for the chimney (because they use room air for the combustion cycle I believe) seem to only run about $500 more and look much better. However, these are in the 30,000 BTU range. This is a second home that is used in the winter. The heat would be on while we are not there to protect the pipes. There also is electric heat, but I want to avoid using that because of costs. Eventually, I expect to convert to FHW oil (but at least 5 years out), and want to watch the costs. Any suggestions or tales of your experiences would be helpful. Thank you.
Tir Na Nog is offline   Reply With Quote