Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-16-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
Sammy

Default House rentals

Hi All, This is the first year I've had to rent my Winnipesaukee house to help pay the taxes. We rented the house out 3 weeks this summer (hated to do it even for that amount of time) through a real estate agency. We wanted to rent it out a couple of weeks in June and from Labor Day on, so we could enjoy it ourselves during the summer. So far we've had no takers (through the agency) for the fall. Has anyone (who rents) had success renting their places in the fall?
Thanks Sammy
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 11:27 AM   #2
T.H.E. Binz

Default Rental Success

Sammy:
I've been renting 6 to 8 weeks every summer for five years - mostly one week at a time, ocasionally two weeks. I've never been able to get a tenant for the week prior to Labor Day or the week of Labor day. It's even getting difficult to find renters for the 2nd week prior to Labor Day. I assume it's because schools and colleges seem to be starting earlier. The last week in June (i.e., prior to the week that includes July 4th) I've had about 50% success. This is surprising because, in my view, this is one of the best weeks to rent - few boats, few people, and the water is usually 70 degrees by then.

You're lucky if you only require three weeks rental to pay for taxes -- mine requires at least five weeks . . . good luck
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:50 AM   #3
Sammy

Default House rentals

T.H.E. Binz, Three weeks doesn't cover my taxes either, but with kids in school and sports etc. we really only get to use our place during the summer. Have you had, or know of anyone who has had luck renting in the fall?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Fall Rental

We consider ourselves lucky if we do get someone to rent after Labor Day, based upon 7 years of renting. Alot of times, someone only wants to rent for 4 days or so and it hardly seems worth it. The same is true for the Spring.

We just had a cancellation for early October. This was our year for cancellations- a total of 4 ;we've rarely had them in the past. You can be sure that the deposit fee will be increased for next year!
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:16 AM   #5
abc123

I happen to run a local vacation rental business and can tell you that fall rentals are few and far between. It's difficult to predict foliage season, so renters seeking the fall color often book late and for short periods of time. As for other vacationers, I see a lot of day trippers or people coming for weekends through the fall and not looking for a week long rental. I'm sure your agent is trying to get your rented, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. Also, you cannot expect to get prime season prices as this is not prime season. I often see fall rentals at 25 - 50% off of their prime season rates. Good luck.
ps-You might have to sacrifice one or two of those prime season weeks if you wish to offset your taxes!
abc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links