Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Ice Fatality?

Heard there was an ice fatality in Wolfeboro today...can anyone confirm this?

Dan
Old 02-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
Nothing on WMUR
Here's where I saw it....http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing...topic=331828.0
Old 02-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
So sad, lets hope everyone stays safe this weekend.
Incredibly predictable. The folks who run the derby should be put in jail.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Outdoorsman

So sad for everyone involved.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Really strange no media coverage on this...

Either it was unsubstantiated report, or perhaps someone was out on ice, had a medical issue and had to be brought off the ice, and was deceased on arrival.

If it was a drowning, I would think it would be picked up by the media.

Maybe tomorrow's news will have something on this.

If indeed it is a death, condolences to the family.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:14 AM   #6
LongshotLombard

Why would anyone go on the ice this winter?
LongshotLombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #7
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Perhaps we should wait for the facts to be known before criticize anyone.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:54 AM   #8
radar4401

Default Ice Fatality

Before everyone gets too worked up on 3rd word stories, there was a fatality in Wolfeboro that was caused by a head on collision. Maybe someone was jumping to conclusions. Story was in Friday's Union Leader.
radar4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:49 AM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

Did someone die in that accident? Last I heard they were in the hospital. It looked bad!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:58 AM   #10
ishoot308

Not confirmed but heard he fell on the ice and hit his head... Sad and way too young!

Copied from the "Ice Shanty" forum...

Quote:
NEWFIELDS – Leslie O. Chase, III, 56, passed away suddenly on Fri., Feb. 26, 2016, while ice fishing on Lake Winnipesaukee. Born on June 22, 1959 he was the son of Leslie O. Chase, II and the late Marilyn (Hoadley) Chase.

The family moved to Williston, Vt., when Les was seven years old where he grew up and learned to become a skilled skier. He is a 1977 graduate of Champlain Valley Union High School where he excelled in both baseball and soccer.

Les was an avid outdoorsman and loved to hunt but his biggest passion, outside of his family, was fishing, which he taught his children at an early age with boundless patience.

After spending a few years in Colorado and Chico, Calif., he moved back to N.H. in 1982 attending MacIntosh College where he received an Associates Degree in Business Management and where he met his wife, Wendy Gagnon. They married in 1985.

He and Wendy had two children and built a home and life in Newfields, N.H. He worked many years at Hutchinson Sealing in Newfields as a third-shift Supervisor and more recently at C&A Design in Dover, N.H.

Les loved sports and played men's softball in Rochester and Newmarket leagues.

Les was an excellent skier; growing up in Vermont he skied frequently in his youth, as well as in his adult years in Colorado and California, and a beloved memorable trip with his father to Utah.

Les loved his family and friends and watching the Dallas Cowboys with his kids.

He was predeceased by his loving mother Marilyn (Hoadley) Chase and his beloved dog Tucker.

His surviving loved ones include his wife and best friend, Wendy (Gagnon) Chase, and their two children, Chelsea Leigh Chase and Jake Lee Chase; his father, Leslie O. Chase, II, and his wife Connie; his in-laws Jacques and Betty Gagnon; his beloved sister, Rebecca Chase and her three children; his sisters in-law Terese Thorne and her three children, and Beth Gagnon and her son, his brother in-law Keith Gagnon & his wife Linda and their two sons; a daughter, Misty, from Concord, N.H.; his many aunts and uncles and cousins.

Les will be sorely missed and remembered by all.

Services: Friends are invited to call on Thurs., Mar. 3, 2016, at Kent & Pelczar Funeral Home, 77 Exeter Rd, Newmarket, N.H. from 3 to 6 p.m. with a reading of the Eulogy at 6:00 p.m. In lieu of flowers memorials may be made to the charity of one's choice . Visit www.kentandpelczarfh.com to sign an online guest book.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #11
nightrider

Default Wow!!!!!

Quote:
With comments like that, you should report there first.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:15 AM   #12
rsmlp

Quote:
What an incredibly irresponsible thing to write. People need to take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for their own actions. Are you suggesting that all actionable maneuvers that are legal should be embraced? You can ski near the edge of a cliff but I wouldn't condone it. Examples abound. Seriously, think before you type.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
nightrider (03-01-2016), Reilly (03-02-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 10:15 AM   #13
codeman671

While I don't agree with the tournament taking place given the ice conditions, there were no fatalities that I have heard of directly related to it.

The one fatality was a freak accident, a fall on the ice. Didn't matter how thick the ice was, the outcome would have been the same.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
While I don't agree with the tournament taking place given the ice conditions, there were no fatalities that I have heard of directly related to it.

The one fatality was a freak accident, a fall on the ice. Didn't matter how thick the ice was, the outcome would have been the same.
I believe you are correct Codeman. The only thing I heard that went wrong is a truck went through on Squam... Why on earth he was on that ice in a truck in is just baffling!

Dan
Old 03-01-2016, 06:36 PM   #15
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
What an incredibly irresponsible thing to write. People need to take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for their own actions. Are you suggesting that all actionable maneuvers that are legal should be embraced? You can ski near the edge of a cliff but I wouldn't condone it. Examples abound. Seriously, think before you type.
We will have agree to disagree on this one. The tournament shouldn't have been held due to the poor ice conditions. At least four ice fisherman that I heard about went through the ice but managed to survive. I'm sure there were many more. Just because there were no fatalities doesn't mean it was an appropriate risk for the Rotary to take by holding the tournament. To relate it to your skiing example, if trails on a mountain are treacherous due to ice, thin cover, obstacles, etc. the ski area has a duty to close the trails to protect its customers. The same type of thought process should have been applied to the ice fishing tournament. Yes, both of these sports have inherent risk but that doesn't mean the folks in charge should simply allow an anything goes mentality. I'm all for personal responsibility but I think event organizers have a responsibility to their customers as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
dpg (03-02-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #16
SAB1

While I agree the tounament didn't need to be cancelled because it lends itself to other smaller bodies of water, times are changing. Accountability and responsibility are a couple things that are diminishing in society. People just plain do a lot of dumb things today that older generations didn't. I was up on Saturday and there were two trucks out on the ice southeast side of Chase island half way to #49. These guys drove there from 19mile bay beach. Not the brightest bulbs on the tree. Poor decisions are what lead to more seeming unneeded regulations but a sign of the times.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #17
Shreddy

Quote:
We will have agree to disagree on this one. The tournament shouldn't have been held due to the poor ice conditions. At least four ice fisherman that I heard about went through the ice but managed to survive. I'm sure there were many more. Just because there were no fatalities doesn't mean it was an appropriate risk for the Rotary to take by holding the tournament. To relate it to your skiing example, if trails on a mountain are treacherous due to ice, thin cover, obstacles, etc. the ski area has a duty to close the trails to protect its customers. The same type of thought process should have been applied to the ice fishing tournament. Yes, both of these sports have inherent risk but that doesn't mean the folks in charge should simply allow an anything goes mentality. I'm all for personal responsibility but I think event organizers have a responsibility to their customers as well.
THIS is exactly what's wrong with society nowadays. Heaven forbid people take responsibility for their OWN actions. All too frequently everyone wants to point the finger at someone else. Your first post about putting them in jail is WHOLLY WITHOUT MERIT considering there was NOTHING illegal about the derby. Regardless of the year, there will ALWAYS be risk when traveling on the ice. Further, you jumped to a conclusion without any facts and blamed this unfortunate death on the derby association when they had nothing to do with his death. Stop trying to blame others for actions they can't control.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #18
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
THIS is exactly what's wrong with society nowadays. Heaven forbid people take responsibility for their OWN actions. All too frequently everyone wants to point the finger at someone else. Your first post about putting them in jail is WHOLLY WITHOUT MERIT considering there was NOTHING illegal about the derby. Regardless of the year, there will ALWAYS be risk when traveling on the ice. Further, you jumped to a conclusion without any facts and blamed this unfortunate death on the derby association when they had nothing to do with his death. Stop trying to blame others for actions they can't control.
Scruffy: PLEASE DON'T SHOUT AT ME. You sound like Donald Trump. I agree personal responsibility at the individual level is important. However, there is also a duty of responsibility for organizations such as the fishing derby. And while we were fortunate no-one was killed in the derby due to thin ice, that doesn't mean the risk taken was appropriate.

I guess we will simply need to agree to disagree here.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #19
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Scruffy: PLEASE DON'T SHOUT AT ME. You sound like Donald Trump.
I do not see where anyone named "scruffy" replied to you, nor do I see where any political affiliation was present in this thread. Kudos to you for finding that info.

As far as
Quote:
And while we were fortunate no-one was killed in the derby due to thin ice, that doesn't mean the risk taken was appropriate.
You do realize that the smaller lakes and ponds have sufficient ice coverage for ice fishing.. right? This fishing derby was not exclusive to Lake Winni!

"People need to take PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for their own actions".
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (03-09-2016)