Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default Black Cat (Union Ave, Laconia)

Has anyone been to the Black Cat in Laconia lately?

I used to go there after work a few years ago but had stopped going because life got too busy. About a week ago, a friend of mine asked me to meet her there for a drink.

I realize that the place changed hands since I was last there, but it was a disappointing time there, to say the least.

We arrived at about 7pm and were told the kitchen was closed. The only thing available for food was a salad. It was served in a cereal bowl and brought to the table without a tray - just fingers on the rim of the bowl. (I don't like seeing a server's hands in or next to my food, thankyouverymuch.)

My friend ordered a mixed drink and said it was very bland but not worth sending back. I went to order a beer and found that Sam Adams was the most exotic thing on the menu - I love imported dark beers - Guiness is the most 'common' thing I'll order - I'll take Boddington's, Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout, Triple Bock, or even a Black-n-Tan - bocks are my very fav. No such luck... Sam Adams it was... and it was like drinking soda pop to me...

There were two or three other folks at the bar and they appeared to be regulars. We watched two couples walk in and then leave when they were told the kitchen was closed already.

Two drinks and a salad were about $16. The prices weren't bad but the selection... well, there was NONE.

As we were leaving, the owner/manager seemed to be more into his television show than anything else - and it was very loud. There was no one in the place... it was dead.

I think the Black Cat is in a prime location and it used to turn over a nice business there, with good food and drinks, but... eh. I was sorry to see the downturn, myself.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
brk-lnt

We went *once* after the new owners took over. Maybe we should have given it more than one try, but our experience, and the reports of others, lead me to believe we have made better decisions by going elsewhere.

Burrito Me is right next to Black Cat, and while a different atmosphere altogether is a much more welcoming place.

Tavern 27 is 8 minutes up 106, and again a world apart (though possibly a touch more expensive, but only because you'll be tempted to sample half their menu).

Although I will say one of my all time worst late (but not too late) dining experiences was at Hectors, which is basically right across the street from Black Cat. I know some people enjoy Hectors, but that ranked among one of our all time worst experiences...
baygo (07-19-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
trfour

Post I Hate Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

I used to go there after work a few years ago but had stopped going because life got too busy. About a week ago, a friend of mine asked me to meet her there for a drink.

I realize that the place changed hands since I was last there, but it was a disappointing time there, to say the least.

We arrived at about 7pm and were told the kitchen was closed. The only thing available for food was a salad. It was served in a cereal bowl and brought to the table without a tray - just fingers on the rim of the bowl. (I don't like seeing a server's hands in or next to my food, thankyouverymuch.)

My friend ordered a mixed drink and said it was very bland but not worth sending back. I went to order a beer and found that Sam Adams was the most exotic thing on the menu - I love imported dark beers - Guiness is the most 'common' thing I'll order - I'll take Boddington's, Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout, Triple Bock, or even a Black-n-Tan - bocks are my very fav. No such luck... Sam Adams it was... and it was like drinking soda pop to me...

There were two or three other folks at the bar and they appeared to be regulars. We watched two couples walk in and then leave when they were told the kitchen was closed already.

Two drinks and a salad were about $16. The prices weren't bad but the selection... well, there was NONE.

As we were leaving, the owner/manager seemed to be more into his television show than anything else - and it was very loud. There was no one in the place... it was dead.

I think the Black Cat is in a prime location and it used to turn over a nice business there, with good food and drinks, but... eh. I was sorry to see the downturn, myself.
But I did enjoy the Black Cat Cafe on occasion, under the old management... It's ashame how that some of my favorite haunts are going south, ( so to speak ) since I did too! If I liked a place, I could keep them afloat all by my lonesome!.. tenfour??

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
diz

Default Agreed

Quote:

I agree, it's a sketchy place. We went once for lunch and got questionable sandwiches served by the owner's kid, who, I'm pretty sure hadn't washed her hands. It's disappointing. That could be such a neat place.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Argie's Wife

diz - when you say 'owner's kid' are you talking about little kids? Like under 10 years old?

I saw something like that while I was there, including one of them spinning barstools...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
diz

Default Yes

Quote:
diz - when you say 'owner's kid' are you talking about little kids? Like under 10 years old?

I saw something like that while I was there, including one of them spinning barstools...
Yes, it was a young girl. I'd say around 9 or 10 would be right.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #7
angela4design

Default *Sigh.... I keep trying.

I used to love the Black Cat. The last time I was there, I only had iced tea, as the last four times I had experienced their coffee (iced or hot), a lot was left to be desired. (I've posted about it before and even returned with the same friend for a hopeful second shot, to no avail.) Iced Tea on the terrace was nice... but that's not how a place stays in business.
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote