Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
feb

Default Winni River Trail

There are many opinions on the WOW Trail but does anyone have any current info on the Winni River Trail that runs between Franklin and Tilton?

Thinking of trying it out this week.
feb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
fatlazyless

For the great many, posters here don't get involved with physical exercise ...... all they do is drive high powered boats and drink.

But yeah .... Winni River Trail is a bicycle ride worth doing ..... and probably pretty quiet and very scenic.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
MRD

My wife and I road that trail a couple of weeks ago. Park at the Burger King or McDonalds at the Tilton exit. Then bike out to Franklin on the trail. It is a nice trail to ride as it goes along the river for sections. Very level. Goes thru Tilton and ends at Franklin. Passes thru some agricultural and wooded areas. Very fun. We would highly recommend it.
MRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRD For This Useful Post:
feb (07-02-2019), Top-Water (07-12-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

You can also park in Franklin. At the bottom of a hill just prior to town center turn tight immediately after the bridge over the Winni River. There is a small park with parking for several cars. Start of the rail trail is just across the road going under the old RR trestle. Paved trail moderate uphill for a while overlooking the class III whitewater section of the Winni. Fun for me as when I wore younger man's clothes I paddled it more that 50 times including New Years day a few times.

Access to the Northern RR Trail is maybe 2 miles from there. Continue west on Rt 11/3 across the bridge over the Pemmi River, left on Rt 3 and parking is about 1/2 mile on Rt.
https://fnrt.org/
https://fnrt.org/wp-content/uploads/...-Trail-Map.png

Last edited by Slickcraft; 07-02-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 03:55 AM   #5
Top-Water

Each of you Thank you for those maps and parking tips.

Question: Is this historic bridge on this trail system and approximately where / how far from the Burger King / McDonalds parking suggestion.

Wikipedia: The Sulphite Railroad Bridge, also known locally as the Upside-Down Covered Bridge
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulphite_Railroad_Bridge

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.nh0275.photos/?sp=3

Is there anything still there ?
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
feb

Default Bridge

I believe that bridge, metal and foundations, are still there. If its the bridge I'm thinking about, the actual trail diverts near it so you just get a glimpse of it. I'm not sure of the exact mileage marker.

BTW, we did the trail last weekend and it was awesome. It is narrow in many sections and there are many different types of riding, dirt, stonedust, crushed rock, pavement so you need a few knobbies on the tires to not slip out.

I would highly recommend the trail. We parked at McDonalds and it was about a 10 mile round trip, about 1 hour and 20minutes.

Going to Franklin is all downhill, you notice it on the way back...
feb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

The historic trestle remains were still there last summer. You can walk a short spur from the rail trail to the start of the bridge. Can't walk across.

For years my glancing view was from the river. Zip into small kayak size eddy river right just above the bridge. Quick over the drop to another small eddy on right. Ferry across below the drop to channel leading to river left. Big eddy below on river left. So when you look out you can see how to run that drop. Easy in low water.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
MRD

Red face Winni River trail to the Great Northern Trail

Friday we parked at McDonalds in Tilton and road the trail to Franklin. Then we turned left onto the main drag thru Franklin for one mile. The road crosses the Pemi river and then ends at a T intersection. Turn left and go 50 yards. There is a white church on the right. If you go behind the church thru the parking lot there is a to 20 yard long trail thru the woods to the Great Northern trail that runs from Boscawen to Lebanon. It is 11 miles to Boscawen and 47 to Lebanon.
We turned left toward Boscawen. The trail follows the newly formed Merrimack river. It is very nice and worth riding. You could park right at the white church and jump on the trail if you didnt want to ride the Winni River Trail. We find the Winni River trail just a little short so by accessing the Great North trail we got plenty of riding in.
MRD is offline   Reply With Quote