Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Drone Deliveries

Saw this on another forum and had to laugh!

While its just an advertisement, how cool would drone deliveries be from AJ's or the local convenience store while on the ice!!

https://www.yahoo.com/food/drone-bee...966526266.html

Dan
Alton Lady (01-30-2014), mhtranger (01-30-2014), welchislandman (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
brk-lnt

The FAA is getting harsh on "commercial" use of hobby aircraft for commercial purposes. Most of this stuff has been too small to catch attention the last several years. Realtors using hobby helicopters to take aerial photos of high-end properties, chimney/tower inspectors using them and so forth.

I don't think we're going to see any kind of drone delivery services in the near future, not unless someone can convince the FAA to alter a lot of policy.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

I question the payload on those also. I'll bet its more likely that box is empty than even a few beers inside.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I question the payload on those also. I'll bet its more likely that box is empty than even a few beers inside.
Of course it was empty! It was an advertisement strictly for fun!
Old 01-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
I don't think we're going to see any kind of drone delivery services in the near future, not unless someone can convince the FAA to alter a lot of policy.
Not sure if you meant the current drone policy needs a lot of alteration or if THIS is the alteration they needed?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...60444564,d.cWc

Faster than we think??

Amazon CEO says his drone delivery will not be anytime soon, he predicts 3 or 4 years! Tech is moving so fast that 3 years is a lifetime...

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
The FAA is getting harsh on "commercial" use of hobby aircraft for commercial purposes. Most of this stuff has been too small to catch attention the last several years. Realtors using hobby helicopters to take aerial photos of high-end properties, chimney/tower inspectors using them and so forth.

It is hard enough just to get skydiving approved at Laconia Airport! Can't imagine the red tape to get a drone delivery service running
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts
Default Beer-delivery drone grounded by FAA

Saw this on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/31/tech/i...html?hpt=hp_t2

Quote:
Ice fishers in Minnesota are reeling from a recent FAA decision prohibiting beer delivery by drone.

Local brewery Lakemaid was testing a new drone delivery system to airlift frosty cases of beer to fishermen holed up in ice shacks on Mille Lacs Lake. After spotting a Lakemaid YouTube video that went up last week of one of the unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) on a test run, the Federal Aviation Administration contacted Lakemaid and told the company to stop.

Unfortunately for Lakemaid fans and anyone else dreading a walk to the corner store, it's currently against the law to fly drones for commercial purposes or above 400 feet in the United States. The FAA is working on a comprehensive set of rules and regulations that will pave the way for commercial drone flight, but the legislation won't be ready until at least 2015 and drones might not be in the skies until 2017.

Until then, thirsty fishermen must obtain their beverages through old-fashioned terrestrial delivery methods.

The great beer grounding of 2014 might just be the issue that will turn Americans into pro-drone advocates. A WhiteHouse.gov petition has already gone up, asking the Obama administration to issue Lakemaid an airworthiness certificate. So far, 183 thirsty UAV advocates have signed the petition (only 99,817 signatures to go!).

Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul has previously expressed his support of aerial beer delivery on Twitter. In August he said "Perhaps I am not against ALL drones!" and linked to a news story about a drone delivering beers during a music festival in South Africa.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
PaugusBayFireFighter

Lots of nice aerial pictures of the Pond Hockey Tournament taken by drones this weekend!
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote