Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
nhbiglake

Location: Rhode Island during the week unfortunately and Meredith during the weekends.
Default Fly fishing

Hey everyone, I am posting to find out some good flys to throw on to my fly rod that would be good for lake winni. I usually only fish around trexlers marina because that is the place my parents like to hangout. But I do have a kayak and will venture away from there. So if anyone could inform me on some good flies to use that would be awesome. Thanks, Nick.
nhbiglake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Hi nhbiglake!

What are you fishing for?... Anything and everything? If you have a kayak I would get some sinking fly line and paddle around slow trolling a small single hook trolling fly (#6 or #8). Right now the "white perch" fly is pretty hot and working well for salmon, rainbows and even lakers. I would think any single hook small type fly like a heron fly or one of it's offshoots (wood duck , olive), would work just fine. Heck even a Mickey Finn would be a good choice right now!

My recommendation if you have the opportunity is to stop in at AJ's bait and tackle in Meredith and get his input. He will set you up right with the fly's you need for the specific fish and type of fishing you want to do.

Good luck!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
NH_boater

Hardcore flyers will scoff but streamers like the muddler minnow or leach pattern such as the wooly bugger will usually do the trick. A sink tip 7 weight and 1 to 2 ft strips with lightly weighted tippet works for me.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
nhbiglake (09-02-2012)