Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts
Default Glendale Ice Access

I know it's early, but to those of you who ice fish and snowmobile that access the ice from the Glendale town docks, you may not be able to do that this year. I was told by the parking attendant that the town would be running a bubbler system around all the docks this winter. Apparently they had some minor damage last winter and want to minimize it this year. I have not confirmed this 100% but before coming out this winter it would be wise to double check.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (09-19-2011), welchislandman (09-20-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Mink Islander

Default Or....

Get that guy from a couple years ago who drove out to 'check the ice' in his SUV and discovered to his dismay (and loss of said vehicle) that, no, the ice wasn't thick enough.

They run bubblers in Meredith and at Shep Browns but angle them away from the access points. Hopefully, Gilford will do the same.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
Get that guy from a couple years ago who drove out to 'check the ice' in his SUV and discovered to his dismay (and loss of said vehicle) that, no, the ice wasn't thick enough.

They run bubblers in Meredith and at Shep Browns but angle them away from the access points. Hopefully, Gilford will do the same.
I'm not sure how they could angle them away since ice access is directly between the docks or right next to it. If the docks areas are thawed there will be no access at Glendale.

Dan
Old 09-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
jmen24

Gilford wanted to close down this access point in the winter a few years ago, because of all the trash and cleanup they were performing at the site during the winter and in the spring. The Belknap Sportman's Club told the town they would take full responsibility for the cleanup and the town said OK. The access remained open.

If you can think of another way to help them protect their docks without removing access, bring it to their attention. It might just keep the access open.

Unfortunately, it seems they bring a different "reason" for closing the access every few years.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Mink Islander

Default But there's the jet ski ramp

And it's not that close to the docks themselves so long as they keep a timer on the ice eaters and aim them away from the ramp, I think it would be ok. Where I get on at Cattle Landing is right next to a dock with an ice-eater in the winter. Granted cars don't get on at Cattle Landing. Never a problem until spring. Likewise at Shep's the access point is not far from their docks.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
ishoot308

Default Clarification

Just to clarify my original post. I contacted the Gilford Town selectman by email and received an immediate response. I probably should have done this before writing my initial post so shame on me and lesson learned.

Anyway it appears the story as I heard it was blown out of proportion. There will NOT be any open water at the docks! The town will be proactive by pre-installing an ice eater before ice in. It will only be used / turned on if a problem arises in March during ice out. So it looks like access for snowmobilers, cross country skiers, ice fisherman and winter island dwellers will be business as usual!

Thanks to the Gilford selectmen for their quick response and setting the record straight. The town does a great job at the Glendale facility and us Gilford tax payers are very lucky to have it!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 09-21-2011 at 12:41 PM.